PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst thing about the Minneapolis HumpDome?


fhqwhgads
09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Favorite baseball teams aside, I'm sure we can all agree that the Metrodome is less than an optimal park for baseball. The poll on the main page needs a couple more options, or at least an "Other" category.

My vote would be for either:

- All seats face to 50-yard line. It is literally a serious pain in the neck to watch from the lower deck along the 1st and 3rd baselines.

or,

- Right field is invisible from the right-field seats.

I think I'll choose the first one.

Hangar18
09-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey.....Its Fgrewaerasdasdacbs. Well, now that ive been there, the thing that struck me about the place, was the Very COLD, Antiseptic feeling of the place. The field seems to be a Darker GREEN than anwhere else, and the seats are a DARK BLUE. Everything looks Cold, and Dark in there. There is no DIRT for an infield, so that adds to the overall sterile feeling in there. One sits there, and it doesnt look like a baseball field at all, but like the inside of a Space Tent, with giant Solar Panels on the Roof, and a Lunar Rover parked over by the Bullpen.

I didnt appreciate the way the Fans (not the people, but those 4 Giant Fans that have to be ON for the Inflatable, Teflon Roof to be held up) miraculously blow towards the outfield when the Twinkies bat. I vote for * Overall Cold Feeling inside.
though, I like the way one gets "thrown out" of the park
if your not paying attention. think Frgereaswesds can agree.

fhqwhgads
09-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I like the way one gets "thrown out" of the park
if your not paying attention. think Frgereaswesds can agree.

I do agree. As long as there aren't high winds outside, they open the regular doors (instead of the revolving doors), and the pressure from inside the Dome blows you out onto the plaza. It is pretty cool.

MRKARNO
09-15-2003, 11:15 PM
The worst part about the dome is that the baseball team that plays there is still in existance

mike squires
09-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Never been there, but from what I've seen the place sucks. HOWEVER, if the Twins pack the place and that tank gets loud like it can it could be a HUGE momentum factor for the wrong team. I hope I'm wrong.

Dick Allen
09-16-2003, 12:09 PM
I was only there for an NCAA basketball regional once, yeah, the place is pretty sterile. But the worse thing was all the local knuckleheads inside the place. They almost made Cub fans look intelligent. Granted, they may not all have been Twin fans, but you have to figure. Also, the big sport around there during the winter is GIRLS H.S. basketball. I'd rather be dead.

Foulke You
09-16-2003, 12:33 PM
For me, it is that God awful billiard felt turf. Baseball was never meant to be played on it. It is garbage. There is no such thing as a true bounce on that crap, especially the stuff at the Hump Dome. The turf is falling apart and it should be even worse now that the Vikings played on Sunday. Maybe it is all those cheap "Dome Hits" that have killed the Sox over the years but I just can't stand the turf. I know they are replacing it next year and it should be better but for right now, that stuff is garbage.

fhqwhgads
09-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
But the worse thing was all the local knuckleheads inside the place. They almost made Cub fans look intelligent.

Now, now. There's no need to start a war about whose fans are more ridiculous. There's even less need to invoke Cub "fans".

Originally posted by Dick Allen
Also, the big sport around there during the winter is GIRLS H.S. basketball. I'd rather be dead.

Apparently, you haven't been up here in the winter since the Wild came to town. This is a big-time hockey state.

Now that the thread-jacking has (hopefully) been averted, can we get back to why the Metrodome (the actual stadium) sucks? :D:

maurice
09-16-2003, 01:02 PM
The main problems with the Hump Dome all stem from the fact that it clearly was designed to be used as a football stadium during a Minnesota winter. If you're used to watching games in stadiums designed to host baseball games in the summer, the effect is very jarring, particularly the way they just fold up several sections of seats in RF.

The other main problem is the fickle, bandwagon nature of Minnesota sports fans. Like the casual Chicago sports fan (excluding the tens of thousands of die hard Sox, Cubs, Bears, and Hawks fans), the vast majority of Minnesota sports fans do not support a team until it is abundantly clear that they are about to win a championship. I've gone to the box office on the day of a weekend game and bought very good, inexpensive seats to watch: (1) a Twins team that won the World Series only one month later; and (2) a North Stars team playing in the Stanley Cup semi-finals. I will never understand how the supposed mecca of US hockey let the Stars leave for Texas of all places.

(And, yes, Sox attendance DOES bother me. I'd feel EXACTLY the same way about Chicago if the Sox left due to poor attendance.)

fhqwhgads
09-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
For me, it is that God awful billiard felt turf. Baseball was never meant to be played on it. It is garbage. There is no such thing as a true bounce on that crap, especially the stuff at the Hump Dome. The turf is falling apart and it should be even worse now that the Vikings played on Sunday. Maybe it is all those cheap "Dome Hits" that have killed the Sox over the years but I just can't stand the turf. I know they are replacing it next year and it should be better but for right now, that stuff is garbage.

Couldn't agree more. Here's looking forward to FieldTurf in 2004! :gulp:

fhqwhgads
09-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The other main problem is the fickle, bandwagon nature of Minnesota sports fans. Like the casual Chicago sports fan (excluding the tens of thousands of die hard Sox, Cubs, Bears, and Hawks fans), the vast majority of Minnesota sports fans do not support a team until it is abundantly clear that they are about to win a championship. I've gone to the box office on the day of a weekend game and bought very good, inexpensive seats to watch: (1) a Twins team that won the World Series only one month later; and (2) a North Stars team playing in the Stanley Cup semi-finals. I will never understand how the supposed mecca of US hockey let the Stars leave for Texas of all places.

This is just as much myth as reality. Compared to most other teams, there's not too much difference. Do we need to bring up White Sox attendance here? :D: Most Twins' fans are so sick of the damned stadium that they'd rather watch the game on TV or listen to it on the radio. Can we get off the fan thing yet? This thread was supposed to be about the stadium itself.

As far as the Stars go, I've got two words for you -- Norm Green. That is all.

maurice
09-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
This is just as much myth as reality. Compared to most other teams, there's not too much difference. Do we need to bring up White Sox attendance here? :D:

Well, the specific examples I gave were not myths, and I haven't seen any contrary data. As you can see from the time-frame in my examples, I was judging from the (probably unfair) viewpoint of Sox, Cubs, Bears, Hawks, and Bulls teams in the 1980s and early-1990s. I enjoyed those Twins and Stars teams quite a lot and was glad to get nice seats, but the situation (particularly the Stars relocation) was terribly depressing.

As indicated at the end of my post, my perspective has changed somewhat, though I don't believe Twins' attendance in particular compares well "to most other teams." As painful as it is for us to admit, there's a valid reason that winning teams like the Twinks and the Sox came up in contraction discussions, while most losing teams were ignored. It may have been the result of team mismanagement, but it wasn't because of their respective stadiums.

To turn your question on its head, the BEST thing about my Hump Dome experience was the availability of good yet extremely inexpensive seats.

:)

Foulke You
09-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Couldn't agree more. Here's looking forward to FieldTurf in 2004! :gulp:

Do you know how FieldTurf compares to the NexTurf stuff that the D-Rays use? Is it supposed to be any different or is it just a different brand name? Grass is ultimately the best to play on but I will say that the turf in Tampa is infinitely better than Minnesota's. If the FieldTurf is like NexTurf than we should see much better played games at the Metrodome in the coming years.

IA_soxfan
09-16-2003, 05:26 PM
My high school baseball team had a yearly tradition of playing one of our games in the metrodome. You think its a bad place to watch a game? Try playing one there. I would equate it to playing a baseball game in a gigantic operating room, the place is THAT sterile. It also didn't help that I couldn't pick up fly balls against that "baseball white" roof, causing most of them to hit the ground 3 feet in front of me and then bounce a good 20 feet above my head. My only satisfaction from the whole ordeal usually came from: a) getting smashed in the hotel room the night before, b) having the benifit of a dugout that was actually big enough for the whole team, and c) leaving.

BeerHandle
09-16-2003, 05:29 PM
My favorite thing is Dikta (Da Coach) on roller skates!!!

The worst thing is the home field advantage. With a quick team (like the Twinkies) you can move runners over easily!

ihatethecubs
09-16-2003, 06:38 PM
i hate the annoying PA announcer

mike squires
09-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Two more things...

1) you shouldn't have to watch a baseball game with the football chalk on the turf

2)That damn balloon that is swirling around inside, cause someone just let the air out of it.

whitesoxwilkes
09-17-2003, 12:47 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Nobody really cheers, they just make noise. Everyone's fat and eats ice cream.

Hangar18
09-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i hate the annoying PA announcer

man, that PA guy is totally annoying, very unprofessional.
He Yells the name of the batters, and has a nasally High Pitched Voice, like the guy from the Orville Redenbacher popcorn commercials. He also speaks very QUICKLY, YELLING the name out.

whitesoxwilkes
09-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
man, that PA guy is totally annoying, very unprofessional.
He Yells the name of the batters, and has a nasally High Pitched Voice, like the guy from the Orville Redenbacher popcorn commercials. He also speaks very QUICKLY, YELLING the name out.

Nowbattingtheshortstopnumber15...Cristian GOOOZ-man.

mike squires
09-17-2003, 09:10 PM
That damn milk jug down right field doesn't exactly make the place look attractive.