PDA

View Full Version : Something I don't understand about the media

soxtalker
09-15-2003, 08:38 PM
We have two baseball teams in this town that have good chances of making the playoffs. Our football team has shown every indication that it will be horrible. So, I turn on the radio several times in the past two days, and all that I can hear on the two sportsradio stations is talk of the Bears. What am I missing?

JRIG
09-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
We have two baseball teams in this town that have good chances of making the playoffs. Our football team has shown every indication that it will be horrible. So, I turn on the radio several times in the past two days, and all that I can hear on the two sportsradio stations is talk of the Bears. What am I missing?

Having worked at a Chicago sportsradio station, I can tell you, at least in terms of people who call shows, this is a heavy Bears town (as if you didn't know that). You'll get a ton of Bears calls the day after a game. It will dominate the show no matter what you plan. And if you don't program Bears, the listener will flip to the other station.

Also, the Sox are off tonight. I would imagine from Tuesday through Thursday it will be baseball intensive on the sportsradio shows. Friday, probably back to Bears. It's tough to talk about any one topic for an extended period of time, so I would guess the hosts welcome the opportunity to cover both sports for once in September.

gosox41
09-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

Don't get me started on this. I made mention of this back in August when training camp opened and the Sox and Cubs were both doing well.

It's a sorry state when a team contending for the playoffs plays at 50% capacity while a team who has been under .500 in 8 of 10 years (after this one) in a league that prides itself on parity and even ahs a hard salary cap to prevent any Yankee-esque like situations, and that's the best they can do. . All the while the stadium sells out and people devote way too much time and energy debating why a sucky teams continues to be so lousy.

my guess is it has something to do with all the money being sold by the fans because hten the team doesn't need to worry about putting out a winning product. Sounds a little like Cub fans. Support them no matter what because the Bears still have 1985.

I'm done with my rant.

Bob

Hangar18
09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
On a related Topic, I was over on the Twins Board earlier today, trying to get a feel for what theyre thinking coming into this series. A majority of the fans Are NOT optimistic, or "trash talking" as it were. They like us, seem to think this is going to be a nail-biter, down the the last batter kind of series.
What was interesting was someone bringing up the MarkPrior thing, and why he isnt there. A twin fan remarked that its not gotten a lot of press, (about Prior jilting them and being greedy. hes not portrayed very nicely in their media) mostly because the Press in Chicago "for some reason loves the cubs more and give them way more coverage". the guys a twin fan who lives in chicago and moved here recently. Was interesting hearing this remark from someone who is unbiased towards either team here.
He noted how a majority of the attention is given to the other team for "no real reason" and he can see why "sox fans are they way the are towards the cubs and their fans". I wonder if the media has ever walked on the other side of the glass and Looked IN for a change ?

1951Campbell
09-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Dear Bears fans,

To borrow from Rick Pitino...Walter's not walking through that door. Mike Singletary is not walking through that door. Richard Dent is not walking through that door. Your team sucks . Do what's right for the city and pay attention to baseball right now instead of football. Two potential first-place baseball teams on any given night. Think about it. The Bears will be there in November. Fret not.

Sincerely,

1951Campbell

TornLabrum
09-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Dear Bears fans,

To borrow from Rick Pitino...Walter's not walking through that door. Mike Singletary is not walking through that door. Richard Dent is not walking through that door. Your team sucks . Do what's right for the city and pay attention to baseball right now instead of football. Two potential first-place baseball teams on any given night. Think about it. The Bears will be there in November. Fret not.

Sincerely,

1951Campbell

And they'll probably be 0-7 by that time.

voodoochile
09-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Dear Bears fans,

Sincerely,

1951Campbell

Yeah, but at the end of the year, Brett Favre is walking OUT of the Packer's front door and then you are in the same boat as us...

I think the media covered the Bears today because the season is so obviously over and after two more weeks and a day no one will give a crap anymore. The Sox also had an off day, so that probably contributed to it. At least they weren't covering the Hawks...