PDA

View Full Version : BBTN...Harold Reynolds picks White Sox vs. Yankees in ALCS

captain54
09-15-2003, 12:09 AM
FWIW, Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonite picks the Yankees as the favorite to win the AL, but said it would be a dogfight in the ALCS with the Yankees vs the White Sox.....

wasn't this the same guy that said earlier in the year that the Sox should be "blown up".....

FJA
09-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by captain54
FWIW, Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonite picks the Yankees as the favorite to win the AL, but said it would be a dogfight in the ALCS with the Yankees vs the White Sox.....

wasn't this the same guy that said earlier in the year that the Sox should be "blown up".....

Harold Reynolds has been very consistent since mid-June, early-July or so in saying that the White Sox were going to make it far in the playoffs. All this stuff about the team being blown up ... sure he was saying it in May, but so were many of the people on this board.

harwar
09-15-2003, 08:46 AM
I remember Bobby Valentine saying the Sox should be blown up and Peter Gammons saying the White Sox should be contracted but HR has been saying mostly good things about the White Sox all year while everyone else has been trashing them.

faneidde
09-15-2003, 10:03 AM
I remember after the Sox had gone out and gotten Alomar and Everett and swept the Royals, that idiot Ravech saying something like the Sox might look to unload players. Gammons corrected him right away, but what a moron.

longwood
09-15-2003, 11:03 AM
It's not only the national media that gets it wrong, but the local ones as well.

Both ESPN and The Score both abandoned ship in early May when the Sox were 8+ games out indicating the season was over. Believe it or not, "The Grobber" was one of the few sane reporters in the bunch saying that it's a long season and they were not out of it.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Of course the Yankees have a 5 1/2 game lead with two weeks left while the Sox decided to take the first 2 1/2 months of the season off and consequently might not even make the post season.

Reinforced last week when the couldn't put the twins away after winning the first two games.

Talk is cheap let's see the Sox actually do something first before saying they could battle New York.

Lip

shane
09-15-2003, 12:28 PM
HR has been all about the Sox since the Alomar/Everett pick-ups.

Gumshoe
09-15-2003, 01:16 PM
I know you are skeptical, Lip Man, but this year is going to prove to you that past things mean nothing to present events.

I repeat, WE ARE THE BEST TEAM IN this division (true, that it doesn't matter some time, the best doesn't always win)

... Sox on Top, LIP, sox on top. I'll see you in the playoffs. No guarantees there, though

Gumshoe

longshot7
09-15-2003, 01:17 PM
but wouldn't the Yankees who have the best record in the AL play the Sox in the division series since it looks like Boston will be the Wild Card and they can't play each other in the first round?

FJA
09-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
I remember after the Sox had gone out and gotten Alomar and Everett and swept the Royals, that idiot Ravech saying something like the Sox might look to unload players. Gammons corrected him right away, but what a moron.

Ravech is a complete moron (and not to mention he never has anything good to say about the Sox). I'm convinced he's only there to make the other guys look smart.

Iwritecode
09-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
but wouldn't the Yankees who have the best record in the AL play the Sox in the division series since it looks like Boston will be the Wild Card and they can't play each other in the first round?

The WC team is still undecided yet. If Boston takes it, then yes, the Sox would play the Yankees. If Seattle or Oakland take it, the Sox would play one of them.

So either Harold is saying he thinks the Sox will advance past the first round against either Oakland or Seattle, or there was a typo...

In my perfect senario, the Sox would beat the Yankees in the ALDS, then beat the Red Sox in the ALCS, then beat either the Braves or Astros in the WS thus eliminating the dreaded "West Coast Curse".

:smile:

captain54
09-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

So either Harold is saying he thinks the Sox will advance past the first round against either Oakland or Seattle, or there was a typo...

:smile:

What he said was he thinks its going to be the Yankees and the Sox battling it out for a chance to go to the World Series....

OEO Magglio
09-15-2003, 03:40 PM
What he said was he thinks its going to be the Yankees and the Sox battling it out for a chance to go to the World Series....
I think you kind of heard him wrong, but they were talking about the yankees, and ravech asked him if the yankees are the best team in the al when everything is going right, and he said no he thinks the whitesox are the best team in the al when everything is going well.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 04:05 PM
For the record, Reynolds is the same guy who said on the Baseball Tonight special the evening before the season opened that he wanted to pick the White Sox to win the division and go deep into the playoffs but couldn't because they were so bad defensively and at executing fundamentals.

I posted it at WSI at the time should anybody care to look it up.

Lip

A.T. Money
09-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For the record, Reynolds is the same guy who said on the Baseball Tonight special the evening before the season opened that he wanted to pick the White Sox to win the division and go deep into the playoffs but couldn't because they were so bad defensively and at executing fundamentals.

I posted it at WSI at the time should anybody care to look it up.

Lip

Yeah but they aren't too shabby defensively now, don't you agree?

As for executing fundamentals...well, since Robbie came around it's much improved. It'd be nice if we could cash in on all our scoring opportunities, but as long as we win, you can't complain.

Welcome to the Band Wagon, Harold!

faneidde
09-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Defensively the Sox are much improved this year.
Crede, Mags, and Roberto are all above average fielders for their position. Our catchers are also very good defensively.
Carlos Lee has improved so much that he is no longer a liability in left. He and Paulie are both about average fielders.
Jose and Carl are both bad fielders, no way around it, but every team has bad fielders.

But the Sox are terrible at fundamentals, no argument there.

LASOXFAN
09-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I know you are skeptical, Lip Man, but this year is going to prove to you that past things mean nothing to present events.

I repeat, WE ARE THE BEST TEAM IN this division (true, that it doesn't matter some time, the best doesn't always win)

... Sox on Top, LIP, sox on top. I'll see you in the playoffs. No guarantees there, though

Gumshoe

I agree with Gumshoe that the Sox are the best team in this division. Frankly I think you can make the argument that we're playing the best ball in the AL. However, I'm afraid it may be a case of us falling victim to a team which plays better team ball and knows how to do it when it counts. Let's face it, the Twins were looking into the abyss after Tuesday's loss to the Sox and they found a way to win on Wednesday then pulled even again by beating our ace Thursday. Do you realize how clutch that is? That's the same kind of clutch that beat an Oakland team that was DEFINITELY a better team last year than the Twins, much like we are this year. Look, I hate the Twins, but they have something special about them - chemistry, whatever you want to call it.

Can we do it? Of course, anything can happen. But the best team doesn't always win - the team that wants it most often does.

SouthSideHitman
09-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Defensively the Sox are much improved this year.
Crede, Mags, and Roberto are all above average fielders for their position. Our catchers are also very good defensively.
Carlos Lee has improved so much that he is no longer a liability in left. He and Paulie are both about average fielders.
Jose and Carl are both bad fielders, no way around it, but every team has bad fielders.

But the Sox are terrible at fundamentals, no argument there.

Although I am much less interested in "fundamentals" than great hitters and pitchers, I still think that the Sox have been much better on fundamentals this year than they get credit for, especially since they got Robbie and Carl.

This weekend there was a play where Jose was on second and he ran to third on a grounder to the Mueller, who was unable to make a play on him, causing both runners to be safe. Hawk then made a comment on how Jose's aggressive baserunning really helps us, and it occured to me that up till this June, Jose would have run into a waiting tag, but recently there has been few terrible fundamental mistakes. We're only trying hight-percentage steals, we're catching the balls that have to be caught, we're hitting cuttoffs and most of the errors are from being aggressive.

Overall, the Sox are fundamental not to hurt their good pitching and offense, which all you really need unless you want a team of Omar Vizquels and Vince Colemans.