PDA

View Full Version : Pitching matchups vs. Twins

delben91
09-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Is it Loaiza, then Garland, then Colon for the Sox? Or Garland, Loaiza, Colon?

And who goes for the Twins? Do the Sox manage to avoid Santana?

DonkeyKongerko
09-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Gardenhire has decided to start Santana tomorrow against the Indians. (Thank you)

WhiteSox = Life
09-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Is it Loaiza, then Garland, then Colon for the Sox? Or Garland, Loaiza, Colon?

And who goes for the Twins? Do the Sox manage to avoid Santana?

For the Sox, Loaiza, Garland and then, Colon.

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Gardenhire has decided to start Santana tomorrow against the Indians. (Thank you)

The Tribe has killed the Twinkies this year and I think Gardenhire would rather take his best shot at coming into the Sox series with a .5 game lead than increase the chance they might be .5 back.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 12:18 AM
The Indians didn't kill the Twins this weekend did they?

Lip

voodoochile
09-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Indians didn't kill the Twins this weekend did they?

Lip

If the Tribe wins tomorrow they will have split, which would be fine by me...

Iwritecode
09-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
For the Sox, Loaiza, Garland and then, Colon.

Actually, it should be Garland, Loazia, Colon. Garland hasn't pitched since 9/10. If he goes tomorrow it will be on 5 days rest (because of the off day). I don't see why they would want him to pitch on 6 days rest...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Actually, it should be Garland, Loazia, Colon. Garland hasn't pitched since 9/10. If he goes tomorrow it will be on 5 days rest (because of the off day). I don't see why they would want him to pitch on 6 days rest...

Today's an off-day. Manuel is skipping Garland and pitching Loaiza on Tuesday with his usual 4 days rest. Garland comes back on Thursday with extra rest.

:jerry
"Aren't I the master of pitching rotation logic?"

:ohno
"You da man, Jerry. You da man..."

jabrch
09-15-2003, 10:33 AM
I am guessing Buehrle opens vs NYY and we skip the 5th starter because of the off day. So we will throw Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland vs the Yanks. Then Colon, Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland vs KC unless we have clinched somewhere where we could reset the rotation for the playoffs.

We sound so much better with a 4 man rotation...I just wonder what the stress will do on Loaiza/Garland who both have never pitched the innings that they have this season.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 11:07 AM
By the way did anyone read the story in the "Sun Times" (?) today about Garland not being happy about being skipped in the rotation?

He said he understands the mentality but that it still bothers him and that he pitches better with a regular schedule.

Just the kind of thought process you want from him starting that big game Wednesday eh?

I'm tending to agree more and more with Garland's detractors who feel he needs to grow some gonads.

Lip

Iwritecode
09-15-2003, 12:23 PM
By the way did anyone read the story in the "Sun Times" (?) today about Garland not being happy about being skipped in the rotation?

He said he understands the mentality but that it still bothers him and that he pitches better with a regular schedule.

Just the kind of thought process you want from him starting that big game Wednesday eh?

I'm tending to agree more and more with Garland's detractors who feel he needs to grow some gonads.

Lip

Why in the world are the letting him go 6 days between starts?!? The normal is 4. With the off day, Loaiza and Garland could both go with one extra day.

The way Loaiza has pitched his last couple of outings, that might not be a bad idea anyway...

Here's how I see the rotation the rest of the year though:
Regular/ with 4 man rotation
16 Loaiza / Loaiza
17 Garland / Garland
18 Colon / Colon
19 Burly / Burly
20 Wright? / Loaiza
21 Loaiza / Garland
22 Garland / Colon
23 Colon / Burly
24 Burly / Loaiza
25 Wright? / Garland
26 Loaiza / Colon
27 Garland / Burly
28 Colon / Loaiza

The 4-man rotation would probably be better because thay would put Colon, Burly and Loaiza in the NY series.

The one big question I keep wondering about is, who will pitch in the one-game playoff if they end up tied with the Twins? If they keep Wright in the rotation, it would have to be Burly. If they go to a four-man, it would probably be Garland on short rest.

We can only hope they can clich the division early enough to set the rotation up and not worry about the extra playoff game...

34 Inch Stick
09-15-2003, 01:24 PM

Lip

I was one of the "grow some gonads" philosohpy. I now believe he has grown some. They are small, maybe the size of a pea, but they are there and growing. I like that he is angry about being skipped over. Garland being assertive is a good sign. If he uses it as an "I'll show you" that would be great. If he uses it as a "I failed because of", well those peas will have shriveled.