PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Fenway Report II

adsit
09-14-2003, 10:44 PM
"Maine Day" threatened to be a rainout but turned into a White out. The Sox now have a 7 game winning streak when I've attended in person, going back to the '01 season. Pass the hat now and fly me to the playoff city of your choice :D:

Don't know why the BoSox faithful still love B-Daub... they cheered him every time he came to bat. I asked around but I swear, today I was surrounded by Cub fans. Usually RS fans know their stuff, better than any "enemy" city I've been to. To be fair, it was a Sunday game and a lot of them were kids from out of town, but can anyone in the section tell me anything about this team whose hats and jerseys you're wearing?

Buehrle looked hittable all day. Damn good thing the Red Sox couldn't find his pitches. He had me nervous, especially after Ramirez took him yard (Manny made up for it with that stupid baserunning later). Looked like both he and Burkett were getting squeezed a bit... watching these two games from a rooftop angle where I could see how the pitches were coming across. Questec definitely makes umps jumpy.

Bright spot: Carlos Lee owns these guys. Another big-ass HR (I think they all look massive in dinky Fenway, tell the truth), and a couple of great defensive plays. It looked like he tweaked his ankle running out a foul. Hope he can play thru... we need him, playing like this.

Hate to say it, but Ortiz was safe. I saw it clearly. A call that went our way. Mark it down.

Bottom line... the hottest hitting team in the AL this season was held to a .218 BA at home for this series. If not for those three unearned runs on Fri... nope, I'll stay positive and pretend that never happened. Be proud, Sox... and Sox fans. Minnesota can chomp up Cleveland okay, but we're proving we won't be cannon fodder for the "coastal" teams if we make the show. We're beating the caliber of team we will face if we go, and beating them well.

On to the Homerdome... give those Twinks hell!

BTW, I couldn't find Foulke You out there, but I did get an answer to his question. "Sweet Caroline" is the BoSox version of the Rally Monkey. They play it in the middle of the 8th during every home game, potting the sound down so the fans can sing "bah, bah, bah" over the horn notes in the refrain. Cheesy... and it DOESN'T WORK! HA!

Go Sox!

Hangar18
09-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Cool report. hard to explain cub fans to people, other than a huge disparate proportion of them are nimrods who mostly wear the clothing, and regard wrigley as a museum. IM so glad the bosox didnt play the cubs, or CNN and the rest of the media wouldve gone HOG WILD with their "historic coverage" of the 2 teams

jabrch
09-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Cool report. hard to explain cub fans to people, other than a huge disparate proportion of them are nimrods who mostly wear the clothing, and regard wrigley as a museum. IM so glad the bosox didnt play the cubs, or CNN and the rest of the media wouldve gone HOG WILD with their "historic coverage" of the 2 teams

If that wasn't the most nuaseating thing I have ever seen...

maurice
09-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the report, adsit!

Originally posted by adsit
Bottom line... the hottest hitting team in the AL this season was held to a .218 BA at home for this series.

It's a shame that our pitching sucks this season.

A.T. Money
09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I always see Red Sox fans as Cubs fans of the American League.

voodoochile
09-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money

Well, somebody threw back the HR that Sandy hit yesterday and they were sitting on top of the GM.

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Well, somebody threw back the HR that Sandy hit yesterday and they were sitting on top of the GM.

You could tell that was going on, just based on the audio.

Maroons!

A.T. Money
09-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yeah but "so-called Sox fans" have been doing it at the Cell too.

voodoochile
09-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah but "so-called Sox fans" have been doing it at the Cell too.

It's become more 50/50 recently which is better than it was early in the season. I think the message is getting out there and the fans are starting to realize what an idiotic tradition it is...

Hangar18
09-15-2003, 03:38 PM

I was at the "Jake" a couple years ago, watching the SOX take on the Indians. I was a guest of my buddy that lives there, in one of the ClubLevel seats (Club Level at the Jake is only on the 1B side, and Blows Away our club level) , so I was among a group of 5 or 6 Indian fans. Im the only one in sox garb, so they were giving me good natured ribbing. I saw a cub fan in the stadium and gave them the business, and one of the Indian Fans remarked how "hey, we like the cubs, theyre like us......LOSERS". I was aghast at this remark, telling him Hey, dont put yourselves in that Category. THe Indians have won numerous Division Titles in a Row, have been to the ALCS a couple times, and went to a World Series. I told them why in the world would they consider themselves Losers "Like The Cubs". They all went silent for a moment or two, looked around at each other and at that very Moment, I saw what an
Epiphany looked like. They almost all in Unison, said "man, your right", "good point man" " yeah, F*** the cubs". I traveled
350 miles, and saw that my job was done.

1951Campbell
09-15-2003, 09:32 PM

I lived in Boston for 4 years, and I would disagree. Cubs fan is weird because winning and losing is not important to him. Red Sox fan is weird because all he says is how painful it is not to win, and that all they want to do is win the WS...but secretly, they want to lose. New England culture practically demands that life be as bad as possible, for that is the only meaningful existence to them. With a Red Sox WS pennant flying above Fenway, Red Sox Nation may be forced to admit that life can be fun...and that is something New Englanders cannot do.

adsit
09-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
With a Red Sox WS pennant flying above Fenway, Red Sox Nation may be forced to admit that life can be fun...and that is something New Englanders cannot do.

I'm going to print this letter and show it to all my friends! In fact, I may have the above cross-stitched into a sampler. :D:

It's a point I've been trying to make with them for years. I'd say the whole Yankee-hater thing reinforces that, for the Red Sox have certainly had their chances over the years. I kept pointing to that 1967 AL pennant they have nailed to the wall up there in Fenway and saying "that was a gift from us, you know... and you blew it anyway!" Nobody, not even the "smart" Red Sox fans, seemed to remember that.

Red Sox fans don't openly tolerate losing, as you say, but secretly, they kinda dig it. And that's perverted.

Foulke You
09-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by adsit
BTW, I couldn't find Foulke You out there, but I did get an answer to his question. "Sweet Caroline" is the BoSox version of the Rally Monkey. They play it in the middle of the 8th during every home game, potting the sound down so the fans can sing "bah, bah, bah" over the horn notes in the refrain. Cheesy... and it DOESN'T WORK! HA!

Go Sox!

I asked a couple White Sox fans I ran into at Fenway if they heard of WSI and they said they heard of it but don't post here. I asked because I thought perhaps it was Adsit. I was down the first base line for Games 1 and 3 in line with "Pesky's Pole" and between 3rd and Home Plate for Game 2 where I got to see Bartolo Colon toy with baseball's most feared offense. From where I was sitting, Bartolo pitches were just filthy!! Man, if we can just get INTO the post season I think we can do some damage. Carlos Lee's homers were absolutely mammoth. The Red Sox fans next to me said that Saturday's blast was the farthest homer he had seen at Fenway all year.

Anyway, thanks for the "Sweet Caroline" info. My girlfriend and I were scared to be in a ballpark chock full of Neil Diamond enthusiasm. :D: Did you also notice that on Saturday night's game in the 8th inning they had a "Rally Karoke Man" on the scoreboard doing Born in the USA by Springsteen? A Boston fan near me said that it was a Red Sox player doing the karoke. One thing I will say about the Red Sox organization is that they market their players personalities very well.

The crowds on Friday and Saturday were very loud and really into the games. Big time playoff atmosphere in those two games. Sunday's crowd was rather tepid. As Adsit pointed out, on Sunday it was "Maine Day" (lame day) and there were a lot of families and out of towners. On Landsdowne st. alone there were at least 9 giant tour buses. Not to mention the fact that the weather was wet and very humid. Game 3 had me situated directly behind a post. Thankfully, there were 3 empty seats to the right of me so I was able to move over. For the first 2 innings I couldn't see Magglio in RF or Carl Everett in CF.

Overall, Boston fans are certainly not the AL version of the Cubs fans. They know their team well (unlike Flub fans) and they know their players but my biggest criticism of them is the fact that they have tunnel vision about the Red Sox and Yankees. They knew little about the White Sox except that we "took" Bartolo away from them and that we have a few ex Red Sox players on our team like Daubach, Everett, and Gordon. To them, baseball doesn't exist outside the NY/Boston rivalry. Yankees suck chants broke out on both Friday and Saturday during key moments of the game for no apparent reason. I thought perhaps the Yankees were losing but when I checked the out of town scoreboard I saw that the Yankees beat the Rays again and have all but sealed the AL East title. When the smoke cleared though, the White Sox had gained the fans respect. I had many Boston fans come up to me later in the day and say how impressed they were with our pitching.

Foulke You
09-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Thought you guys might enjoy these tidbits from the Boston newspapers:

Globe writer Dan Schaunessey thanked his lucky stars that they were not going to win the AL East because that could mean a first round date with the White Sox in the ALDS.

"Mark Buehrle mastered the Red Sox one day after Bartolo Colon toyed with the league's best offense."

-Dan Schaunessey

"I think they (White Sox) have the best starting 3 in the American League"

-Johnny Damon

"It is amazing the Red Sox somehow are 5-4 against this team. Nobody made the Red Sox offense look meeker"

-Boston Herald

adsit
09-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I asked a couple White Sox fans I ran into at Fenway if they heard of WSI and they said they heard of it but don't post here. I asked because I thought perhaps it was Adsit.

For both games I had seats on the infield roof, on the first base side. My #35 jersey fits me like a parachute these days so I didn't wear that, but I had my cap, a grey shirt and black jeans on both days. I wasn't down on the grandstand level much, but when I was I chatted up every properly dressed baseball fan I saw. We probably just missed each other a dozen times.

Man, if we can just get INTO the post season I think we can do some damage.

Ay, there's the rub. The team we saw at Fenway could do the job. I hope that team made it to Minneapolis.

Did you also notice that on Saturday night's game in the 8th inning they had a "Rally Karoke Man" on the scoreboard doing Born in the USA by Springsteen

That was Kevin Millar. I thought it had something to do with the Springsteen concerts that played the Fens the week before. Luh-hame. But the crowd dug it. And if Neil Diamond and cheesy karaoke do it for them, who are we to criticize? At least they came up with it on their own, unlike many "traditions" that take place in a certain other antique ballpark.

When the smoke cleared though, the White Sox had gained the fans respect. I had many Boston fans come up to me later in the day and say how impressed they were with our pitching.

My experience as well. My best damage control moment came right after Sandy's homerun got chucked back on Sunday. I had a comment aimed at me, "ya see, we can do that too." I was able to demonstrate to my group how confusing us with the Cubs is like confusing the Red Sox with the Yankees. Maybe worse. And as I was sorting that out, someone mentioned the big signs they have at all the gates into Fenway, that clearly say throwing objects onto the field will result in expulsion, arrest and prosecution... then said "put a few of those meatheads in the lockup and that crap will stop."

Well said. For that alone, I put the RS fan base a few notches above that of the Flubbies.

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 04:41 PM
These are some cool recaps, makes me feel like I was there.
I know Red Sox Fans respect White Sox fans because they know were pretty hard core about our team.