PDA

View Full Version : Lip Interviews the Grobber

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Check it out on the main page. Good stuff, Lip!

Viva Magglio
09-14-2003, 08:59 PM
In that '78 photo of Les announcing Reggie Theus as the Bulls' No. 1 draft pick, he looks like CNN's Tucker Carlson without the bow tie! Yikes!!!

No offense, Les. You would kick Carlson's arse on "Crossfire."

Lip Man 1
09-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks hal.

I've just started working on the next audio historical piece, "The So-So Seventies."

It'll include the Sox history during that decade along with classic audio clips of Bob Elson in his last game as Sox announcer, Jack Dress on WFLD-TV and of course, Harry being Harry in 1972 and 1977.

I think you'll enjoy it.

After that I'm thinking about interviewing a former Sox pitcher from the early / middle 60's. He's a guy who was never considered in the class of Peters, Pizarro, Horlen and John but was very, very good!

Lip

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Thanks hal.

I've just started working on the next audio historical piece, "The So-So Seventies."

It'll include the Sox history during that decade along with classic audio clips of Bob Elson in his last game as Sox announcer, Jack Dress on WFLD-TV and of course, Harry being Harry in 1972 and 1977.

I think you'll enjoy it.

After that I'm thinking about interviewing a former Sox pitcher from the early / middle 60's. He's a guy who was never considered in the class of Peters, Pizarro, Horlen and John but was very, very good!

Lip

I'll enjoy the nostalgia of the '70s clips but make sure you keep the clips of Elson and Drees short or you'll have people falling asleep here!

Hmmm...I'm trying to figure out who that pitcher is. We had Ray Herbert for a season or two...or maybe Frank Baumann. Of course my nostalgia for that era may be making them out to be better than they are. After all, I'm the guy who liked Mike Proly and Jim Willoughby.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 12:21 AM
You are very very warm.

This guy was with the Sox though for longer then two seasons.

Lip

DrCrawdad
09-15-2003, 06:10 AM
You are very very warm.

This guy was with the Sox though for longer then two seasons.

Lip

My guess is former Charlotte Knights broadcaster and Sox pitcher...

Tommy John, the pitcher and not the surgery.

TommyJohn
09-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Thanks hal.

Lip

Is it Bruce "I beat out Denny McLain" Howard?

Procol Harum
09-15-2003, 09:41 AM

Lip

Jumpin' Johnny Buzhardt?

Grobber33
09-15-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

No offense, Les. You would kick Carlson's arse on "Crossfire."

YOU'RE RIGHT!!(but so would you and anyone else around here).

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 11:27 AM
All good guesses from Procol, TJ and Crawdad but the answers are no, no, and no.

Lip

Paulwny
09-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Eddie Fisher

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2003, 11:45 AM
All good guesses from Procol, TJ and Crawdad but the answers are no, no, and no.

Lip

Gump Worsley? Whoops... wrong sport. :smile:

You know that would be a great interview over the winter. All the Twins fans around here would love it.

:bandance:

Procol Harum
09-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Bob Locker?

captain54
09-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Greg Bollo....?

Don Mossi...?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 04:21 PM
You'll just have to wait and see! (Hmmmm Locker though is a GREAT suggestion if I can track him down)

By the way Les has seen the interview and the comments and has enjoyed them very much. Feel free to e-mail him at the address listed in the interview if you have any questions or comments.

He's pretty good about answering.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 04:58 PM
UPDATE!

This is really weird. I just checked my e-mail a few minutes ago and got a response from a former Sox player that I contacted back in June.

He just got back for the Summer and would still like to do this with WSI...so I'm changed my plans and will put the pitcher from the 60's interview on hold and speak with this former pitcher next Tuesday!

Hint....he's one of the SMARTEST pitchers to have ever played the game, he's appeared in both the World series (twice), and the All Star Game, 20 game winner, big strikeout guy, favorite of both players and fans. Started and worked in long relief. practical joker, and was in Chicago a few weeks ago.

Guesses? (By the way the pitcher from the 60's will be RAY HERBERT)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2003, 05:04 PM
UPDATE!
Guesses?

This time it's got to be Gump Worsley!

:D:

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 05:16 PM
Actually it's Gerry DesJardains LOL

Lip

TornLabrum
09-15-2003, 07:02 PM
UPDATE!

This is really weird. I just checked my e-mail a few minutes ago and got a response from a former Sox player that I contacted back in June.

He just got back for the Summer and would still like to do this with WSI...so I'm changed my plans and will put the pitcher from the 60's interview on hold and speak with this former pitcher next Tuesday!

Hint....he's one of the SMARTEST pitchers to have ever played the game, he's appeared in both the World series (twice), and the All Star Game, 20 game winner, big strikeout guy, favorite of both players and fans. Started and worked in long relief. practical joker, and was in Chicago a few weeks ago.

Guesses? (By the way the pitcher from the 60's will be RAY HERBERT)

Lip

I have a great Ray Herbert memory. I don't remember if it was during his 20-win season or the one after, but he had one of those games where he exited in the first inning after giving up a bunch of infield hits and bloopers.

After about the fifth or sixth such hit, probably a little looper that hit the fingertips of an infielders glove and bounced off, you could hear the official scorer on the intercom saying, "Another booming single."

Reichardt
09-15-2003, 07:42 PM
UPDATE!

Guesses? (By the way the pitcher from the 60's will be RAY
HERBERT)

Lip

Jerry Koosman?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 10:32 PM
DING DING DING DING...we have a winner!

Lip

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2003, 01:11 AM
You'll just have to wait and see! (Hmmmm Locker though is a GREAT suggestion if I can track him down)

Lip

I have a fairly interesting (to me, anyway) Bob Locker story. Back when we were rugrats, my 2 brothers and I, maybe 1st, 3rd & 4th grade at the time, got wind that Bob Locker lived in the Chicago area. On a whim, we looked up his phone number and it was listed! We called him up, and actually spoke to him over the phone! (Of course, this was way before relief pitchers got multi-million dollar money) He chatted with each of us for a few minutes and took down our address. We soon got in the mail three autographed black & white postcards with a few personalized words to each of us. We were in awe!

I just saw my little bro in Topeka KS and he showed me that he still has his. Maybe 10 minutes of his time and he made fans for life.

SMO
:gulp:

Procol Harum
09-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Great story, Still.