PDA

View Full Version : no worries, we ARE the best team in this division

Gumshoe
09-14-2003, 03:49 PM
I told you so. Evidenced by our last two games. We had to win them, and we did. Minny I did think was going to lose today, but who cares? We are the best team in this division. We're going to own both MIN and KC, so why not the Yanks as well?

Put it on the board, Sox going to the postseason.

Gumshoe

TheKYSoxfan
09-14-2003, 03:51 PM
I like your optimism!!! :)

jabrch
09-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Leave Detroit/Cleveland out of this. If we go out and play our best ball of the season the next few weeks - we will be going to the playoffs. If we play our best ball til the end of October, me and 200,000 of my closest friend will be going to GRANT PARK.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Leave Detroit/Cleveland out of this. If we go out and play our best ball of the season the next few weeks - we will be going to the playoffs. If we play our best ball til the end of October, me and 200,000 of my closest friend will be going to GRANT PARK.

I'd like to leave the Twins and Indians out of the equation, but unfortunately, those are the only other clubs the Twins are playing besides the Sox.

Here is a breakdown of the remaining schedules:

Date Sox Twins

9/15 Off @ Cle
9/16 @ Min vs. Sox
9/17 @ Min vs. Sox
9/18 @ Min vs. Sox
9/19 vs. KC vs. Det
9/20 vs. KC vs. Det
9/21 vs. KC vs. Det
9/22 vs. NY Off
9/23 vs. NY vs. Cle
9/24 vs. NY vs. Cle
9/25 @ KC @ Det
9/26 @ KC @ Det
9/27 @ KC @ Det
9/28 @ KC @ Det

So the Sox have 7 home games and 6 road games left: 3 vs. the Twins (there) 3 vs. the Yankees (at home) and 7 vs. the Royals (3 home, 4 road). The Twinkies have 8 home games and 4 road games left: 3 vs. the Sox (at home), 2 vs. 3 vs. the Indians (1 at home, 2 on the road, and 7 vs. the Tigers (3 at home, and 2 on the road).

The Sox had better sweet in Minnesota.

JRIG
09-14-2003, 04:53 PM
As I've been saying...

JUST WIN

I don't care about schedules. We've both played the same schedule (other than interleague play). It just so happens that Minnesota is playing Detroit now instead of earlier in the year. Even if the Twins were playing the '27 Yankees we'd still have to win our games.

Just win, and everything will take care of itself.

LASOXFAN
09-14-2003, 05:15 PM
2 of 3 from Minnesotta will be crucial.

1 of 3 and we're in a 2 game hole that we might not get out of.

0 of 3 and we can start thinking about Tucson in February.

SWEEP THOSE BASTARDS AND THIS TEAM WILL BE ON SUCH A HIGH THAT NO ONE WILL CATCH US!

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

SWEEP THOSE BASTARDS AND THIS TEAM WILL BE ON SUCH A HIGH THAT NO ONE WILL CATCH US!

how does 1/3 = 2 game hole?

MRKARNO
09-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

If minnesota loses to cleveland tomorrow and we only take one game at the baggie dome, we're still only a half game under. I dont think this series will be a huge impact series unless one team takes them all.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
As I've been saying...

JUST WIN

I don't care about schedules. We've both played the same schedule (other than interleague play). It just so happens that Minnesota is playing Detroit now instead of earlier in the year. Even if the Twins were playing the '27 Yankees we'd still have to win our games.

Just win, and everything will take care of itself.

The problem is that we've played the bad teams already and did a lousy job of it. We don't get another chance against them. The Twins do.

bc2k
09-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The problem is that we've played the bad teams already and did a lousy job of it. We don't get another chance against them. The Twins do.

The division is in the Sox's own hands. If they win every game until the end of the season, they win the division. So as JRIG was saying, the Sox control their placement in the standings.

Although winning the rest of their games is not likely, if they win three in Minny, they can pretty much seal the division. Winnning three in Minny gives the Sox at worst a 2 1/2 game lead, at best a 3 1/2 game lead. (All depending on what the Twins do on Monday).

I think the division is sealed by either team with a sweep.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
The division is in the Sox's own hands. If they win every game until the end of the season, they win the division. So as JRIG was saying, the Sox control their placement in the standings.

Although winning the rest of their games is not likely, if they win three in Minny, they can pretty much seal the division. Winnning three in Minny gives the Sox at worst a 2 1/2 game lead, at best a 3 1/2 game lead. (All depending on what the Twins do on Monday).

I think the division is sealed by either team with a sweep.

Let's assume Cleveland wins tomorrow and the Sox sweep the Twins. Then they have a 3.5 game lead. The Twins have 2 games against the Indians and 7 against the Tigers. Let's say the Twins go 7-2. They finish 87-75 For the Sox to finish at 88-74, they only have to go 5-5 to win the division. Of course that's
a pretty optimistic scenario.

The Twins have gone 2-1 against the Indians. If they win and the Sox only take 2 against the Twins (a far more likely scenario), the Sox now only lead by a half game coming out of Minnesota.

Now if the Twins go 7-2, they finish at 89-73. The Sox then have to finish with a record of 90-72. To do that they have to go 8-2 against the Royals and Yankees. This isn't very likely. Nope. The Sox are going to need a huge assist from the Tigers and Indians to pull this one out.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2003, 08:32 PM
....Now if the Twins go 7-2, they finish at 89-73. The Sox then have to finish with a record of 90-72. To do that they have to go 8-2 against the Royals and Yankees. This isn't very likely. Nope. The Sox are going to need a huge assist from the Tigers and Indians to pull this one out.

Good thing we're not playing these ballgames on paper, eh? My winning percentage in rotisserie leagues is a perfect 1.000 before they throw the first pitch. :smile:

Go you Tigers! Go you Tribe!

Lip Man 1
09-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Well it would be nice if the Twins lost two or three games to help things along but you just can't count on that, just like you can't count on the Sox to keep winning most of the rest of their games.

A one or two game losing streak with 13 left assumes a far greater significance then when it's late may or mid August.

I know the past is in the past, but think how the scenario would be different today if the Sox had only won a 3rd game in that four game series last week in Chicago or if Bengie Molina had held on to the throw from Garrett Anderson. of such small things divisional titles are won or lost.

The Twins in my opinion have the edge pitching wise in the first two games. Radke has been basically unbeatable since the All Star break while Loazia admitted in the papers Thursday morning that his arm felt tired. He retracted that statement afterwards but the fact is that he's given up five and four runs in his last two starts. Unusual for a guy with an ERA of 2.5

To me the key game is Wednesday. Kenny Rogers, the pitcher the Sox should have gotten who was being laughed at by the stat freaks in April has won 12 games. Without him the Twins are dead by early July. He's up against Garland who has been hot and cold. He's pitched pretty well but continues to shoot himself in the foot with two out hits, and walks with two strikes.

Colon has been brilliant. He's got the edge Thursday and the Sox may need him to win just to stay in the race if they drop the first two.

The Sox have lost 4 of 6 this year at the Metrodome. If that stays true, they'll win one out of three. That won't cut it.

We'll see, maybe Estaban can set the tone for the series Tuesday. If he does and the Sox grab game one, all bets are off.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Sox have lost 4 of 6 this year at the Metrodome. If that stays true, they'll win one out of three. That won't cut it.

YOu can skew numbers any way you want for instance the sox are 2 of their last 3 at the dome. Let the games play out and let them be in favor of the white sox!

joecrede
09-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Lip, how can you honestly give Rogers the edge over Garland? Calling it even would be a stretch.

Garland's YTD ERA is a half run lower than Rogers and since the All-Star break, Garland's ERA is 3.77 while Rogers' is 4.65.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Look folks, it's 13 games. 13 measly games! Anything can happen in 13 games. Yes, the Sox need help from Cleveland and Detroit, but the Twins need help from the Yankees and Royals, too. There are just too many things that can go right (or wrong) for either team to think they have an advantage.

Hell, Kansas City could pass both of us in 13 games. Don't laugh... they were in first-place after 13 games back in April. If you think that was a fluke, what makes you think you've got it all figured out now?

A 162-game baseball season has been reduced to an NFL-esque 13 games. Hell, even Jauron's Bears can make the playoffs in that setup. I don't know if Manuel's Sox are good enough, too, but I'm certain nobody reading this knows the answer either.

Just win, baby.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Won / Lost records, the only thing that matters when all is said and done plus the fact that Rogers has pitched in a number of big games in his career, much more then Garland.

Maybe Garland will surprise everyone, he sure didn't last Wednesday did he? (not like that wasn't a big game...)

Hey I hope he does. We'll see.

Lip

JRIG
09-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Look folks, it's 13 games. 13 measly games! Anything can happen in 13 games. Yes, the Sox need help from Cleveland and Detroit, but the Twins need help from the Yankees and Royals, too. There are just too many things that can go right (or wrong) for either team to think they have an advantage.

Hell, Kansas City could pass both of us in 13 games. Don't laugh... they were in first-place after 13 games back in April. If you think that was a fluke, what makes you think you've got it all figured out now?

A 162-game baseball season has been reduced to an NFL-esque 13 games. Hell, even Jauron's Bears can make the playoffs in that setup. I don't know if Manuel's Sox are good enough, too, but I'm certain nobody reading this knows the answer either.

Just win, baby.

Hey, that's my line!

No use worrying about anything else but winning these 13 games.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Hey, that's my line!

No use worrying about anything else but winning these 13 games.

Exactly. If we win, it doesn't make any difference what else happens. We're in the playoffs and Minnesota sits at home.

Lee pulled up with a twisted ankle today. Imagine if somebody lost a pitcher. Or what if a ball slips at the point of release from the pitcher's hand with a runner on third base late in a tied game. This **** happens! The only difference now is that the ENTIRE SEASON is riding on this ****.

Just win. Nothing else matters now.

joecrede
09-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Won / Lost records, the only thing that matters when all is said and done plus the fact that Rogers has pitched in a number of big games in his career, much more then Garland.

Maybe Garland will surprise everyone, he sure didn't last Wednesday did he? (not like that wasn't a big game...)

Hey I hope he does. We'll see.

Lip

If Win/Loss records are the only thing that matters the Sox have the edge in the Loaiza/Radke and Colon/Lohse match ups and Garland/Rogers is even.

As for big games, Rogers was run out of New York because it was said he couldn't handle pressure situations and Garland gave up 3 runs in 7 innings Wednesday. Hardly a start to be ashamed of.

OEO Magglio
09-14-2003, 10:12 PM
I disagree, Garland wasn't amazing by any stretch, but he should have only given up one earned run if there wasn't an awful call by the ump, so no garland wasn't outstanding, but he definitely was very good, I give Garland the edge in that matchup against Rogers, if you just look at the pitching matchups I think the sox have the advantage in every matchup, but we all know that, that means absolutely nothing.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Well it would be nice if the Twins lost two or three games to help things along but you just can't count on that, just like you can't count on the Sox to keep winning most of the rest of their games.

A one or two game losing streak with 13 left assumes a far greater significance then when it's late may or mid August.

I know the past is in the past, but think how the scenario would be different today if the Sox had only won a 3rd game in that four game series last week in Chicago or if Bengie Molina had held on to the throw from Garrett Anderson. of such small things divisional titles are won or lost.

The Twins in my opinion have the edge pitching wise in the first two games. Radke has been basically unbeatable since the All Star break while Loazia admitted in the papers Thursday morning that his arm felt tired. He retracted that statement afterwards but the fact is that he's given up five and four runs in his last two starts. Unusual for a guy with an ERA of 2.5

To me the key game is Wednesday. Kenny Rogers, the pitcher the Sox should have gotten who was being laughed at by the stat freaks in April has won 12 games. Without him the Twins are dead by early July. He's up against Garland who has been hot and cold. He's pitched pretty well but continues to shoot himself in the foot with two out hits, and walks with two strikes.

Colon has been brilliant. He's got the edge Thursday and the Sox may need him to win just to stay in the race if they drop the first two.

We'll see, maybe Estaban can set the tone for the series Tuesday. If he does and the Sox grab game one, all bets are off.

Lip

I checked career stats yesterday, looking particularly at IP, and I think Loaiza has now pitched more innings than he ever has, and if that's not the case it's awfully close to that.

All those games we lost while Gen. Disarray was using 84 lineups in 87 games sure could turn out to be big now, couldn't they?

It's too bad the general wasn't familiar with the words of Al Lopez, who knew that pennants could be won in June (or even earlier).

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Exactly. If we win, it doesn't make any difference what else happens. We're in the playoffs and Minnesota sits at home.

Lee pulled up with a twisted ankle today. Imagine if somebody lost a pitcher. Or what if a ball slips at the point of release from the pitcher's hand with a runner on third base late in a tied game. This **** happens! The only difference now is that the ENTIRE SEASON is riding on this ****.

Just win. Nothing else matters now.

My only point is that there is a very strong chance that we are not going to go 13-0 to end the season. There is a much stronger chance that we will go maybe 9-4 or 10-3 at best (and I would say that's probably the best case scenario considering the level of competition). If you look at it, that a pretty damn good record, but with the Twinkies playing 10 against Cleveland and Detroit, those two clubs will most likely have to give us some help or we ain't goin' nowhere.

jeremyb1
09-14-2003, 10:34 PM

Where do you think the Twins would be right now if Santana - he of the ERA near 3 - had been in the rotation all season long instead of having Rogers take his spot early on.

ode to veeck
09-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Hell, even Jauron's Bears can make the playoffs in that setup.

OUCH! You poked me in the eye Pinochio.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
OUCH! You poked me in the eye Pinochio.

Yeah, I was just watching the big weekend sports wrapup on Channel 5 here in Chicago. The Cubs lost in the ninth inning to the Reds today, and they had a half-dozen quotes from the Lovable Losers all whining about the bad luck of the homeplate umpire leaving the game after he got hit in the throat by a pitched ball. The 13-minute delay upset their great pitcher, something Zambrano. Anywho... the Reds scored and it's just bad luck that prevented the Flubbies from winning.

I submit that it's that kind of crazy **** that determines pennant races--not pitching matchups or home-field advantage or any of the other "logical" explanations we usually cite to support our predictions. It's 13 games and too much oddball **** can determine who wins just one more lousy game...

...just like Jauron's Bears.

ode to veeck
09-14-2003, 11:02 PM

OUCH!, now that's the OTHER eye now.

or another words, put the Tigers in ours (or thw Twins) spot and rerun the last two weeks of the season 300 times, the Kittens would still end up in first exactly zero times ... just like this years Bears---who just might've hit the high point they'll reacho this season tonight with 191 yds in total Offence

I agree with you TOTALLY though on us vs the Twins at this point---anything can happen at this point

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 11:44 PM
No one is mentioning the other side of this equation. If the Sox hit like they did today, it will make things a whole lot easier to win some games. Also, Sox are what, 6-3 in their last 9 road games?

I agree with PHG and JRIG about that winning thing... :D:

longshot7
09-15-2003, 12:01 AM
I submit that it's that kind of crazy **** that determines pennant races--not pitching matchups or home-field advantage or any of the other "logical" explanations we usually cite to support our predictions. It's 13 games and too much oddball **** can determine who wins just one more lousy game...

yeah, see Merkle's boner, 1908.

longshot7
09-15-2003, 12:04 AM
So the Sox have 7 home games and 6 road games left: The Twinkies have 8 home games and 4 road games left:

The Sox have 13 and the Twins have 12 left? How does that work out? Haven't the Twins played 149 games too?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 12:15 AM
PHG says:

I submit that it's that kind of crazy **** that determines pennant races--not pitching matchups or home-field advantage or any of the other "logical" explanations

Then God help the White Sox.

For example here is how the Sox were "officially" eliminated from their last close pennent race in 1967.

On the final Saturday of the season the Sox hosted Washington needing to win their final two games and get help to either win the pennant or force a playoff.

Because four teams were involved in the closest race in baseball history NBC-TV started putting up the equipment that might be needed to televise the World Series in the four ballparks that could host the first and second games the week before (these things take time you know...)

NBC had built a temporary camera well along the 1st base dugout in old Comiskey Park.

In the first inning of that Saturday game, Washington had a man on second when Fred Valentine hit a foul pop outside of first base. Tommy McCraw drifted over and under normal circumstances would have caught the ball easily.

This time he couldn't because the ball fell into the camera well.

On the very next pitch Valentine singled driving in the only run of the game!

The Sox lost 1-0 and were eliminated.

The baseball gods hate the White Sox.

Lip

voodoochile
09-15-2003, 04:42 AM
...The Sox lost 1-0 and were eliminated.

Lip

Why am I NOT surprised that you can recite this story from memory? Got any good pennant race stories from 1959, even if they are from tape? I bet someone out there does. How about sharing them...

Besides, I thought Daver had the baseball Gods killed... If not, maybe we can just put a beatdown on Them southside style and convince Them that it would be in Their best interests to at least give the Sox an even chance. After all, it would be a real pity if something got broken around here...

:capone
"Gimme a baseball bat, I'll take care of dese baseball clods... Not dat we need it, but Hey Tony, little help over by here..."

:sopranos
"Don't disrespect the Bing, or I'll sick Paulie Walnuts on you. He's got this little yellow fellow he knows. Dis guys crazy - smilin', laughin', dancin' and kickin' your ass. All youse can think is, somebody get this psycho off me."

:bandance:
"My big brother is even meaner..."

:supernana:
"What's this I hear about a problem with some clods?"

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

:capone
"Gimme a baseball bat, I'll take care of dese baseball clods... Not dat we need it, but Hey Tony, little help over by here..."

Sorry voodoo, but I don't think we can count on Capone's help. He was a Cubs fan. Then he got venereal disease and died.

Hey, who says the baseball gods are against the Sox?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
OUCH!, now that's the OTHER eye now.

Just a clarification for anyone who cares to know...

I admit I was being a bit too obtuse in my example. I was not referring to this year's Bears, but rather the 2001 Bears that not only made the playoffs but won the division crown, too. How many of their wins were achieved in the most improbable ways? It was crazy **** that got them there. The Jauron Bears true level of talent is far closer to what we saw last night. However when you're playing just 13 games (like Manuel's Sox are right now), crazy **** is what you need to get you where you want to go.

But we all agree on the big point... nothing matters now but winning.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Dan H
09-15-2003, 09:33 AM
I really think the Sox need to win all three against the Twins. This is the only way they will gain on the Twins. No one can merely discount the Twins easy schedule and say all the Sox have to do is win. They can play very well the rest of the way and not take the division. Look at this weekend. They win two of three against a tough team and gain nothing.

Of course the Twins have to execute. They can't assume they're do well. But Detroit just doesn't seem to have anything right now.

Procol Harum
09-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree with PHG and JRIG about that winning thing... :D:

Winning is good. Winning is very good. :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I really think the Sox need to win all three against the Twins. This is the only way they will gain on the Twins. No one can merely discount the Twins easy schedule and say all the Sox have to do is win. They can play very well the rest of the way and not take the division. Look at this weekend. They win two of three against a tough team and gain nothing.

Of course the Twins have to execute. They can't assume they're do well. But Detroit just doesn't seem to have anything right now.

Nobody (to my knowledge) is disagreeing with this assessment. Logic dictates that putting distance between us and the Twins in the HumpDome is the only reasonable course. For obvious reasons, these games are the biggest of the year.

However the statistical logic that makes baseball such a fun sport to follow has now broken down. It's 13 games, and the warm fuzzy ideas we've grown accustomed to the past 5-1/2 months really don't make any difference anymore. Detroit and Cleveland are two of the worst teams in baseball across an entire season, but in 13 games you just don't know what will happen. The same goes for the quality of the Yankees and Royals--especially the Royals. That team couldn't be beat last April, and there really was no logical explanation that could have predicted it. It's only with 20/20 hindsight that we can make up an explanation that "fits" the reality that already happened. That's baseball...

I'm not much of a fan of football because too much crazy **** (like fumble recoveries and blocked kicks) determines which teams everyone considers "good" or "bad." I keep citing the '01 Bears because they are a good example of crazy **** making everyone believe they are better than they really are. I've said repeatedly that the Sox are the most talented team in the division and based on that alone they should have sewn up this race long ago. Now the superior talent won't make a bit of difference. It's crazy **** that will either win it or lose it for the Twins and Sox. Just like the '01 Bears, we're playing a measly 13 games. (Actually the Bears played 16 games, but that only proves my point further.)

On paper, the Sox definitely have the tougher route. Fortunately for us, baseball's season-long trends really aren't nearly as important as crazy **** breaking our way in a 13-game schedule.

The great thing about crazy **** is that it doesn't pay any attention to statistics. It just happens... like Zambrano going wild after the 13-minute delay in the ninth inning yesterday. Oh, and aren't the Lovable Losers whining today! :cool:

Folks, I'd rather be lucky than good.

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2003, 10:22 AM
It just happens... like Zambrano going wild after the 13-minute delay in the ninth inning yesterday. Oh, and aren't the Lovable Losers whining today! :cool:

Oh, you mean "the black headache"?

:)

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 11:20 AM
I can't tell you anything personally about 59 since I was only four but I read where when the Sox went into Cleveland for that crucial four game series in late August and Ken McBride the scheduled starter came down with a serious illness.

Dick Donovan stepped in on short rest (two days?) and shut our the Tribe. I think it was the second game of the series and unlike last week the Sox used that momentum to sweep Clevalnd and leave with a 5 1/2 game lead. That series basically won them the pennant.

Lip

ma-gaga
09-15-2003, 11:24 AM
It's 13 games

the 13-minute delay

Folks, I'd rather be lucky than good.

You're tempting the gods by calling out the lucky number 13 too many times. 13 games left, the 'tougher schedule' means jack **** right now.

Yeah, the last 4 games of the season are looming, but there's just 13 games left . ANYTHING can happen. This is both great and terrible!!! It makes my stomach quiver just thinking of it.

Man, this place has a great sense of energy right now.

Paulwny
09-15-2003, 11:53 AM
59 opening day in Det, sox power hitter Nellie Fox hits a 2 run hr in the 14th to win the game.
Right there I started to believe that 59 was going to be special.

maurice
09-15-2003, 12:28 PM
half-dozen quotes from the Lovable Losers all whining about the bad luck of the homeplate umpire leaving the game after he got hit in the throat by a pitched ball.

This was pretty disgusting. The Reds scored one run all game on a bloop single, and the mighty Cubs lineup didn't score at all. It must be the umpire's fault!

doublem23
09-15-2003, 12:32 PM
The Sox are gonna win.

voodoochile
09-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
The Sox are gonna win.

(and Go Tribe!) :D:

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 12:40 AM
PHG says:

I submit that it's that kind of crazy **** that determines pennant races--not pitching matchups or home-field advantage or any of the other "logical" explanations

Then God help the White Sox.

For example here is how the Sox were "officially" eliminated from their last close pennent race in 1967.

On the final Saturday of the season the Sox hosted Washington needing to win their final two games and get help to either win the pennant or force a playoff.

Because four teams were involved in the closest race in baseball history NBC-TV started putting up the equipment that might be needed to televise the World Series in the four ballparks that could host the first and second games the week before (these things take time you know...)

NBC had built a temporary camera well along the 1st base dugout in old Comiskey Park.

In the first inning of that Saturday game, Washington had a man on second when Fred Valentine hit a foul pop outside of first base. Tommy McCraw drifted over and under normal circumstances would have caught the ball easily.

This time he couldn't because the ball fell into the camera well.

On the very next pitch Valentine singled driving in the only run of the game!

The Sox lost 1-0 and were eliminated.

Lip

That's an awesome story!

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Alas sad but true.

I did a long four part timeline of the Sox history dealing with key dates and the strange and bizarre things that have happened to plague this franchise over the years.

It's here in the archives if you want to read it.

That incident in 67 is just one of the more then two dozen strangs things that have happened which includes:

(This is just off the top of my head)

The circumstances that led the Sox to release Denny McClain in 63, the untimely injuries to Dick Donovan, Joe Cunningham and Dick Allen that destroyed the Sox (who were in first place for all three) in 55, 63 and 73, Bill Melton's back in 72 (what was his kid doing on the top of the garage anyway?), and the "time out" call in Baltimore in 60.

Anyway the stuff is in the archives if you are interested. The titles are:

Expect The Unexpected
The Go - Go Sox Era
Sox Of the Wild 70's
The Reinsdorf years

Lip

Gumshoe
09-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Lip, I love you man, and the Sox do too. Remember, it's always easier to say that a certain team WON'T make it, because normally the odds are against any given team. But don't fret, we're going to get paid. It all starts tonight with a defeat of Mr. Radke.

I don't buy superstitions. We're going to do it, because guys like Jose deserve it. I'll talk to you after the game.

Book it, Lip.

Gumshoe

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 05:06 PM
I certainly hope your prognosticating ability is better then Voodoo's last Thursday.

Lip

voodoochile
09-16-2003, 05:11 PM
I certainly hope your prognosticating ability is better then Voodoo's last Thursday.

Lip

Least I've got the guts to put my money where my mouth and heart are...

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Obviously the Sox players themselves didn't feel the same confidence that Voodoo and Gumshoe felt.

Maybe they should have been playing?

Lip

voodoochile
09-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Obviously the Sox players themselves didn't feel the same confidence that Voodoo and Gumshoe felt.

Maybe they should have been playing?

Lip

Let me pitch, I can guarantee some Twinkie will be sitting on their ass in the batters box before I get tossed...

fhqwhgads
09-17-2003, 02:15 PM
I thought that this piece of trivia would be appropriate in this thread...from MLB.com's preview of tonight's tilt:

The Twins have outscored the White Sox 75-71 this season. ... They lead the all-time series 334-302-3, including 80-65 at the Metrodome.

GO TWINS!

Iwritecode
09-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
I thought that this piece of trivia would be appropriate in this thread...from MLB.com's preview of tonight's tilt:

GO TWINS!

I didn't think it was appropriate in any thread...

Who let the Twins troll in???

Hangar18
09-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Get Ready Frewasdafases, the Sox are going 12-0

booter14
09-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Get Ready Frewasdafases, the Sox are going 12-0

why wouldn't the best team in the division go 12-0? what are they waiting for?

The team in 1906 was called the 'Hitless Wonders'. The 2001-2003 version(s) will go down as the 'Gutless Wonders'. Everytime they come close to 1st(or staying in 1st) or have an opportunity to put a team away, they fail miserably. The Twins have made them look foolish for three straight years. Talent doesn't win titles; clutch hitting, defense, and pitching win titles. The Sox have lacked clutch hitting most of the year. ( late July & August were the exception)

I'll agree with most people on this board that JM is the worst manager in MLB, but this is a very veteran team and they should have had the advantage coming down the stretch. The Twins are clearly a more fundamentally sound ballclub, and when it's time to play baseball their pitchers & players produce.

The Sox hitters are stuck in that batting practice mentality where they think they need to hit everthing hard, when really all they need is solid contact. I have never seen a team fail so miserably in getting runners home from 3rd base with one out or less, or even 2nd & 3rd with one out or less. I have been scouring the internet to try to find a statistic on this, but I have failed as yet.

My prediction for the rest of the season: White Sox get swept by the Twins and finish in 3rd behind the Royals. I've seen this too many times over the last thirty years to think otherwise.