PDA

View Full Version : Tied for First, 14 Games Left

Brian26
09-14-2003, 03:22 AM
I'm 31 years old, and this is the greatest pennant race I can recall. The years we won it, we won it handily. The years we lost, we were out of it by September.

On the morning of September 14, we're tied for first place.

If we don't make the playoffs, it will be a huge disappointment for me. I just want to recognize right now, especially after Colon's unbelievable performance last night, that this has been a fun ride. I'm not making any excuses, because it's going to suck if we lose this thing. But, it's been nice to go to the park in September for a reason. People here have disagreed with me on this topic before, but I still maintain it: The journey is sometimes more fun than the destination. PHG and Lip will say I'm crazy and say that if we don't make the playoffs it has been a lost season.

Ask yourself if you've been entertained this season.

Hopefully we can win more games than the Twinkees in these last 14.

TDog
09-14-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
... People here have disagreed with me on this topic before, but I still maintain it: The journey is sometimes more fun than the destination. PHG and Lip will say I'm crazy and say that if we don't make the playoffs it has been a lost season....

This is an excellent question. Lately, I've wondered how this baseball season will be remembered.

Of course, worst case scenario is the Cubs finish first and Sox don't. But, say, both teams fall short. How will fans look back on the season?

I am guessing Cubbie fans would revere 2003 as a golden season no matter what. I saw a Cubs commercial a few years ago where an old man was talking about how he bought a Cubs hat every year, and his 1969 hat was one of the caps filled with magic. That is idiotic. No Sox fan would ever talk about 1967 beging "magical." (So much for the easiest schedule at the end.) This might be one of the differences between the fandoms. In the 1970s, I never heard any Sox become misty talking about 1964. I'm too young to remember it, but the Sox finished a game behind the Yankees, and according to what I've read, both team were playing their best ball at the end.

Many Sox fans look do look back at the 1977 South Side Hit Men with a gleam in their eyes, and that team collapsed in September, finishing 13 games out. This Sox team will probably draw just as many at the gate, but unless it wins some playoff games, I get the feeling people won't remember how much fun this season has been.

Dan H
09-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Not winning the playoffs will taint this season because it will be remembered as another lost opportunity. Especially when you have to recall the team was five under at the 95 game mark. Squandering a season with a horrendous start won't make it magical in the least.

However, I'll take fighting for a division in September over the so many seasons when the Sox were way out of it long before September. This is not boring to say the least.

If the Sox want to make this season memorable, how about a three game sweep in the Glad Bag Dome? The Sox are better than Minnesota. It's time to prove it and take control of the race. Losing to a lesser team won't make me want to remember 2003.

gosox41
09-14-2003, 08:47 AM
I'm 31 years old, and this is the greatest pennant race I can recall. The years we won it, we won it handily. The years we lost, we were out of it by September.

If we don't make the playoffs, it will be a huge disappointment for me. I just want to recognize right now, especially after Colon's unbelievable performance last night, that this has been a fun ride. I'm not making any excuses, because it's going to suck if we lose this thing. But, it's been nice to go to the park in September for a reason. People here have disagreed with me on this topic before, but I still maintain it: The journey is sometimes more fun than the destination. PHG and Lip will say I'm crazy and say that if we don't make the playoffs it has been a lost season.

The second half of the season has been a lot of fun, but the first half stunk. It's exciting being in the pennant race, especially since the Sox are either running away with the division or moer then likely hopelessly out of it. Still, I'd rather be in the playoffs and win the division by 10 games then lose out on 1 game.

Bob

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 09:16 AM

I believe it was the Cubs' Mark McGuire who stated that the Cubs were an entertainment medium. That's fine for them. The fans show up no matter what.

Sox fans are a bit touger than that. They want to win, and a lot of them want towin now because they have never seen it in their lifetime. (I'm pretty safe in assuming that no one here remembers 1917.) A few of us remember coming withing two games of winning it all (which is what most of us who want to win now mean), but that was 44 years ago when we were kids. We are now middle aged and would love to see it happen before we die.

So my take on the season, as one of those grizzled old veteran fans, is that if we blow it, it will be another case of being short the one or two people we really needed to take it all (in this case a fifth starter who can actually win some gamesand a manager who actually knows what the hell he is doing). That will place it in the same category as 1967 when we had great pitching but no one could hit. I look at that season as fun but ultimately a disaster because it took the club five years to recover.

Was I entertained in 1967? You bet! Have I been entertained in 2003? You bet!

BUT:

Was I satisfied when the 1967 season ended with those losses to the A's and Senators? No way! Will I be satisfied if we don't make it to the Wolrd Series? No way! Will I be satisfied if we make it to the World Series but lose? No way!

Fan is derived from the word fanatic. A fanatic is not satisfied until his side obliterates anything or anybody that gets in the way of his/her side. I might be happy when the Sox finally have as many championships under their belts as the Yankees.

hold2dibber
09-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I believe it was the Cubs' Mark McGuire who stated that the Cubs were an entertainment medium. That's fine for them. The fans show up no matter what.

Mark Grace

hold2dibber
09-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Of all the possible scenarios on how a season can go, being in a really tight penant race down the stretch but losing out and not making the playoffs is pretty low on the list, IMHO. It is much, much, much better than not being in the race at all. But as someone else said, I'd rather run away with the division and make the playoffs without any drama than have a lot of drama but lose out by a game. On the other hand, it probably would be more fun to win a division by a game in a really great race that goes down to the wire, than to win by 10 games and never be challenged after July. So it really all depends on the outcome to me.

With that said, it is certainly very, very exciting being in this race. When the game got into the 7th, 8th and 9th inning last night, every time the Red Sox were up and Colon was pitching, my stomach was in knots - I literally felt nauseous. I've never felt like that before during a Sox game except during the playoffs. Fun, exciting, but completely nerve racking. And it's going to end in extreme joy or extreme horror. Nothing in the middle.

kingpin_rcs
09-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Mark Grace

I believe he was referring to Mark McGuire, the front office guy for the scrubs - not a player. I think that guy is there marketing guy or something. Note - his name is spelled differently than the former St. Louis slugger.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Mark Grace

No, Mark McGuire, their equivalent of Rob Gallas, except he knows something about PR and marketing.

kingpin_rcs
09-14-2003, 10:51 AM
... my stomach was in knots - I literally felt nauseous. I've never felt like that before during a Sox game except during the playoffs. Fun, exciting, but completely nerve racking. And it's going to end in extreme joy or extreme horror. Nothing in the middle.

I know exactly what you mean, It's almost to the point where i am afraid to watch the games.

hose
09-14-2003, 11:14 AM
It's day to day for survival and going down to the wire....whew!!!

With the Twins having 7 games left with Detroit I am a bit concerned.

I can imagine how the German 6th Army felt with Italian/Romanian troops protecting their vulnerable left flank while anticipating a Russian counter-attack outside of Stalingrad.

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Of all the possible scenarios on how a season can go, being in a really tight penant race down the stretch but losing out and not making the playoffs is pretty low on the list, IMHO. It is much, much, much better than not being in the race at all. But as someone else said, I'd rather run away with the division and make the playoffs without any drama than have a lot of drama but lose out by a game. On the other hand, it probably would be more fun to win a division by a game in a really great race that goes down to the wire, than to win by 10 games and never be challenged after July. So it really all depends on the outcome to me.

With that said, it is certainly very, very exciting being in this race. When the game got into the 7th, 8th and 9th inning last night, every time the Red Sox were up and Colon was pitching, my stomach was in knots - I literally felt nauseous. I've never felt like that before during a Sox game except during the playoffs. Fun, exciting, but completely nerve racking. And it's going to end in extreme joy or extreme horror. Nothing in the middle.

I was never worried last night in the slightest. Well a little with Nomar batting in the 8th and men on 2nd and 3rd with 2 away, but other than that, not in the least. Colon was just on fire.

But, as to the topic at hand, entertainment value is always there for baseball fans. Yes, this season has been more exciting and more intriguing with the apparent paradiagm shift in the front office and the Sox making a second half run to get back into it, but it isn't ALL about the entertainment for me. I want to win. Losing sucks. That is part of the entertainment for me - stomping the other teams into just more infield sand. If the Sox fail to make the playoffs, it will be a very disappointing end to an otherwise fun season and will cause me to want to see some changes made...

:jerry
(chuckles nervously)

freddyvsjason
09-14-2003, 01:00 PM
The SOX dodge Santana. :cool:

It will be Garland, E-LO, & I predict Colon
vs Radke, Rogers, & Lohse.

This series means more than any other so going with Colon on 3 days rest is reasonable. I expect the SOX to seek to pull him quickly if they get a lead.

After the rotation fits into place:
Wright, Buehrle, Garland vs KC
E-LO, Colon, Wright vs NY
Buehrle, Garland, E-LO, spot vs KC

If the SOX need the win it's Colon otherwise a spot guy.

So ether Buehrle or Colon will open the post. I like it!

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by freddyvsjason
The SOX dodge Santana. :cool:

It will be Garland, E-LO, & I predict Colon
vs Radke, Rogers, & Lohse.

This series means more than any other so going with Colon on 3 days rest is reasonable. I expect the SOX to seek to pull him quickly if they get a lead.

After the rotation fits into place:
Wright, Buehrle, Garland vs KC
E-LO, Colon, Wright vs NY
Buehrle, Garland, E-LO, spot vs KC

If the SOX need the win it's Colon otherwise a spot guy.

So ether Buehrle or Colon will open the post. I like it!

Uh, that would be the normal 4 days of rest for Colon because of the off day on Monday.

captain54
09-14-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I want to win. Losing sucks. That is part of the entertainment for me - stomping the other teams into just more infield sand. If the Sox fail to make the playoffs, it will be a very disappointing end to an otherwise fun season and will cause me to want to see some changes made...

:jerry
(chuckles nervously)

Okay......

If the Sox don't make it in this year, just tack on this year to another 40 or so years that most hard core fans have experienced and maybe you can begin to understand why a certain level of negativity arises.....

Also, someone else on this board mentioned a while ago that fans who are negative are not willing to take a risk being positive because they are afraid of being let down.....

What a load of BS....

Let's see....everytime I watch a Sox game I open myself up to the risk of being disappointed.....162 games a year, I've been watching Sox games for about 44 years, so even if I watched half of those games, that's almost 4,000 times I have taken the risk of cheering on my team despite the possibility of being heartbroken....

So call us the Depressoid squad, and post as many pictures of Prozac as you want....but before you want to put someone in front of the firing squad for being negative about the team even when they are in the thick of a pennant race, I suggest you get a few years of hard core fandom underneath your belt....

The only cure for my "Depressoid" is once, just once, I'd like to experience a Sox team that truly is the kind of team that "stomps the other team into the infield sand" as you so described....

Until that happens, (hey JR, let's crack out the checkbook), I suggest you consider taking a walk over to the DARK SIDE!!

Lip Man 1
09-14-2003, 01:29 PM
One team and only one can can win the World Series every year so I have a personal "minimum standard" by which to judge a season....if all else fails (and in the White Sox case faliure is a pretty common theme) if they at least end the year with a winning record then I consider the season to be somewhat successful.

Given that only one team can win the championship, I'd much rather win 82 games then win 80.

If you don't have a winning record you have no chance for the post season and no chance to ever go anyplace. At least a winning season offers some hope and some positive feeback for the past 162 games. The White Sox haven't been bad at meeting this standard...they have had 12 winning seasons in the past 22 years and barring a complete meltdown will get another one this season.

That being said despite a great 2nd half, if the 2003 Sox do not get to the post season, it will be one of the most disappointing squads of my lifetime. With all this talent, they should have.

Lip