PDA

View Full Version : D'Angelo Jiminez vs. Scrubs: See ESPN!

StillMissOzzie
09-13-2003, 11:46 PM
AS much as we all hated the guy, D'Angelo Jiminez scammed Alex Gonzalez of the Scrubs today. DJ was covering 2nd on A-Gon's stolen base attempt, and when the throw came in he made like the ball went into center field, even though he caught it. When Gonzalez saw DJ take steps toward center he started making for 3rd, whereupon DJ turned around back toward 2nd. By this time Gonzalez realized what was happening, he made a dive back to 2nd but DJ slapped the tag on him.

Why couldn't he play some heads-up ball for the Sox? Or are the Scrubs the only team he could get away with this little league trick against? Either way, it's worth waiting up to see this play on ESPN!

:gulp:

Thunderstruck30
09-14-2003, 12:18 AM
I saw that on SportsCenter. What a great variation of the hidden ball trick.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I saw that on SportsCenter. What a great variation of the hidden ball trick.

And most of us realize that had D'Angelo been the runner, he would have been suckered by it, too.

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
And most of us realize that had D'Angelo been the runner, he would have been suckered by it, too.

You honestly think he would have had the hustle to go for third?

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You honestly think he would have had the hustle to go for third?

Hmmm...you do have a point there.

Gumshoe
09-14-2003, 03:18 PM
but you guys are STILL wrong about DJ. He's a great player, that even if we traded for Alomar (Which I like) I can't believe we let go. He has had big hits for the Reds and played very well against the Cubs. Stone even mentioned this a few times. He is a very good ballplayer that carried the Sox offensively early, but then did make a few mistakes which were totally blown out of proportion because the team was sucking so bad at the time. If you think about how many games Tom Gordon blew early in the year, you can't really be that down on DJ. He always got terrible press on this board, but he's showing you that it wasn't a smart move to let him go. I said it before, I'm saying it again.

BA OBP SLG OPS
.305 .371 .448 .818

Nice.

Gumshoe

FJA
09-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
but you guys are STILL wrong about DJ. He's a great player, that even if we traded for Alomar (Which I like) I can't believe we let go. He has had big hits for the Reds and played very well against the Cubs. Stone even mentioned this a few times. He is a very good ballplayer that carried the Sox offensively early, but then did make a few mistakes which were totally blown out of proportion because the team was sucking so bad at the time. If you think about how many games Tom Gordon blew early in the year, you can't really be that down on DJ. He always got terrible press on this board, but he's showing you that it wasn't a smart move to let him go. I said it before, I'm saying it again.

BA OBP SLG OPS
.305 .371 .448 .818

Nice.

Gumshoe

Good lord ... can we please put a moratorium on D'Angelo Jimenez threads?

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe

BA OBP SLG OPS
.305 .371 .448 .818

Nice.

Gumshoe

Great? *****! Good bat, yes. $0.10 head.

Maggs is great (Hawk said so today)
Frank is great
Bartolo is great
Alomar is great (or was in his prime)

Daver
09-14-2003, 03:56 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/deadhorse.gif

jeremyb1
09-14-2003, 05:02 PM
yeah come on guys. how can we complain about losing jimenez when we have a second basement with a sub .700 ops.

RKMeibalane
09-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
yeah come on guys. how can we complain about losing jimenez when we have a second basement with a sub .700 ops.

Roberto Alomar is not the player he once was, but there's no question that he has done more to help the White Sox than Jimenez did. D'Angelo was terrible defensively, and he always seemed to do something stupid on the basepaths. That's not what you want from your lead-off hitter.

The Sox offense has come alive since Alomar came to Chicago. Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, and Carlos Lee all have picked up their RBI production, because they finally have someone on base to drive in. That wasn't the case earlier in the year. In Frank's case especially, he wasn't getting many opportunities to drive runners home. Nine of his first ten home runs were solo shots.

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 05:37 PM

What good does it do? Is Jimenez coming back?

jeremyb1
09-14-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Roberto Alomar is not the player he once was, but there's no question that he has done more to help the White Sox than Jimenez did. D'Angelo was terrible defensively, and he always seemed to do something stupid on the basepaths. That's not what you want from your lead-off hitter.

The Sox offense has come alive since Alomar came to Chicago. Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, and Carlos Lee all have picked up their RBI production, because they finally have someone on base to drive in. That wasn't the case earlier in the year. In Frank's case especially, he wasn't getting many opportunities to drive runners home. Nine of his first ten home runs were solo shots.

Problem with that argument is that Alomar is getting on base at more or less the same clip that Jimenez did for us. On the season, Jimenez is getting on base at a higher clip than Alomar. Our offense may have come alive when Alomar came on board but as we've been over time and time again, correlation does not prove causation. Everett has done a lot more to help the offense than Alomar and the most important causes of our resurgence are the fact that Maggs caught fire and Crede and Paully reversed disasterous seasons. There is no logical reason to credit any of these improvements solely on the Alomar acquisition.

JRIG
09-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Problem with that argument is that Alomar is getting on base at more or less the same clip that Jimenez did for us. On the season, Jimenez is getting on base at a higher clip than Alomar. Our offense may have come alive when Alomar came on board but as we've been over time and time again, correlation does not prove causation. Everett has done a lot more to help the offense than Alomar and the most important causes of our resurgence are the fact that Maggs caught fire and Crede and Paully reversed disasterous seasons. There is no logical reason to credit any of these improvements solely on the Alomar acquisition.

In my opinion, our offensive explosion can be almost directly tied into Konerko and Crede resembling actual major league baseball players and getting some sort of production from the center field position. Nothing more, nothing less.

RKMeibalane
09-14-2003, 07:18 PM
There is no logical reason to credit any of these improvements solely on the Alomar acquisition.

I agree that Alomar is not the sole reason for the resurgence of the offense; however, it is obvious now that D'Angelo Jimenez was not the answer at second base for the Sox. His mental mistakes and lapses in judgement proved that.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2003, 07:53 PM
I would like to know what it was that finally pushed the Sox over the edge with Jimenez. It could be as simple as Cincinnati wanting Jimenez over anybody else, but I doubt it given that it was a waiver deal. Furthermore the Sox had already tried Jimenez at third base BEFORE that trade, so they were already experimenting with how to use him.

I think we all agree Harris is a mediocre ballplayer (at best), yet it was Jimenez that got kicked off the team with Rios. Did the Sox see something in Harris they liked, or did DJ simply piss somebody off one too many times?

:?:

If I could venture a guess, it was those errors he committed at third base and his apparent disregard for putting in extra work to successfully make the transition that finally caused the team to pull the plug. I'm guessing we'll know about the true reasons after the season is over.