PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Sox won the world series ONCE

ihatethecubs
09-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Add CNN to the list of media outlets that have done a little piece on how the Cubs and Sox are both "in it" this late in the season. Of course, they spent most of the time concentrating on the blue team. On the botton of the screen it would flash different facts every few seconds like "Teams both in first in September for first time since 1908" and then they showed an interesting fact I was unaware of: "The White Sox Won the World Series once, in 1917."
Now you'd think on a piece talking about how the Cubs and Sox might meet in a world series, they'd include a major aspect to that, the fact that THE WHITE SOX BEAT THE CUBS THE ONE TIME THEY ACTUALLY DID MEET IN 1906!!!!!!!! They also talked about the Cubs last world series appearace in the world series in 1948 or whatever, and said it like that was the last time any Chicago team was in the world series, completely leaving out any mention of the '59 Sox. If I knew millions of people were going to see a story on TV that I was putting together, I think I would research it a little better and not leave out MAJOR facts and put completely false statements in it before I air across the nation. Whoever is responsable for this thing is a complete moron and should be fired and CNN should be embarassed.

FJA
09-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
Add CNN to the list of media outlets that have done a little piece on how the Cubs and Sox are both "in it" this late in the season. Of course, they spent most of the time concentrating on the blue team. On the botton of the screen it would flash different facts every few seconds like "Teams both in first in September for first time since 1908" and then they showed an interesting fact I was unaware of: "The White Sox Won the World Series once, in 1917."
Now you'd think on a piece talking about how the Cubs and Sox might meet in a world series, they'd include a major aspect to that, the fact that THE WHITE SOX BEAT THE CUBS THE ONE TIME THEY ACTUALLY DID MEET IN 1906!!!!!!!! They also talked about the Cubs last world series appearace in the world series in 1948 or whatever, and said it like that was the last time any Chicago team was in the world series, completely leaving out any mention of the '59 Sox. If I knew millions of people were going to see a story on TV that I was putting together, I think I would research it a little better and not leave out MAJOR facts and put completely false statements in it before I air across the nation. Whoever is responsable for this thing is a complete moron and should be fired and CNN should be embarassed.

That is embarrassing. Maybe Marq and some of the other journalists on the board can back me up on this, but most of the newsrooms I've been around have a Sports staff, a few sports fans and many staff members who seem to resent the Sports section (most of whom are born and bred hard news people ... not a bad thing, just an observation). I worked for the Daily Illini all four years at U of I, mostly editing the entertainment magazine, but the summer I was Sports Editor, the people who designed pages and the editors who oversaw the final product had neither knowledge of nor regard for the Sports section. There were days when the RAZORbacks would play the Dodgers, or a story I had run a few days before would suddenly turn up again in the final newspaper AFTER I had already approved the correct story list ... just ridiculous things that made me look bad. (Eventually, I told them I wouldn't do the job anymore unless I was there to see what we being taken to the press.)

I imagine this is very similar to what goes on at CNN when they have to do sports stories. I don't believe they are teamed with SI anymore, and this story may be indicative of the results.

Also, to be fair, whoever writes the "captions" on the CNN stories is frequently wrong ... I saw a "Democrat" say some Bush speech showed tremendous leadership, which I thought was strange. Of course, as soon as he was done talking, an embarrassed Paula Zahn had to correct it ... the CONGRESSMAN was a Republican. It might not be a problem with the reporters.

A.T. Money
09-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Ah who cares. They are retards.

ChiSox21
09-14-2003, 12:27 AM
I know, no one ever talks about the 06 World Series between the Sox and Cubs. Its like it never even happened. O wait i know why they don't talk about it cuz we won. IF the Flubs won it, theyd still be talking about it today.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Send an e-mail to CNN and let them know their mistakes.

Lip

Mots09
09-14-2003, 09:01 PM
One word for CNN: JAGBAGS

pudge
09-14-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm an NU J-Grad and I find it pretty repulsive. Unfortunately, since journalism doesn't pay very well, a lot of smart folks don't ever go into the business, hence it's loaded with idiots.

Hangar18
09-15-2003, 08:01 AM
This is WHY YOU NEVER BELIEVE everything the Media tells you.
Think about it.........How Can Every Media Outlet get info like this Wrong.....somehow always Slighting the Sox