PDA

View Full Version : From The Daily Herald...

RKMeibalane
09-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Hriniak Likes Thomas' Approach (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp)

Dadawg_77
09-13-2003, 03:50 PM
The funniest part of the article is Thomas saying he was doing something that a few posters here harp on for not doing. He followed that up by saying that was the wrong approach to take for him.

RKMeibalane
09-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The funniest part of the article is Thomas saying he was doing something that a few posters here harp on for not doing. He followed that up by saying that was the wrong approach to take for him.

I had the same thought. I really wish people would just let him be as far as his hitting is concerned. Part of the reason he doesn't go to rightfield anymore is because he isn't being pitched the same way as he was six or seven years ago.

Besides, sometimes just focusing on hitting the ball hard somewhere is a more effective approach, because the hitter doesn't go up to the plate thinking too much. And if there's one thing that Frank has problems with at times, it's thinking too much.

MRKARNO
09-13-2003, 04:25 PM
It's just really annoying in key situations with runners in scoring position it seems like Frank would rather swing for the fences than try to diminish the opposition's lead. This effect leads to popups which lead to missed opportunities which lead to white sox losses. Now it seems he is looking for singles more again, so I wont get upset with him too much unless he screws up in a key situation

Dadawg_77
09-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's just really annoying in key situations with runners in scoring position it seems like Frank would rather swing for the fences than try to diminish the opposition's lead. This effect leads to popups which lead to missed opportunities which lead to white sox losses. Now it seems he is looking for singles more again, so I wont get upset with him too much unless he screws up in a key situation

Frank isn't looking for singles, reread the article if you missed that, he is looking to drive the ball.

voodoochile
09-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Last night he clearly tried to stay on top of the ball he hit for a single with Carlos on second in the 7th. The result was a basehit to left.

I think when he gets in a funk, he tries to get himself back on track by not concentrating on hitting a homerun.

MisterB
09-13-2003, 06:09 PM
One thing I've noticed about Frank is that he no longer seems capable of getting on top of a pitch when going to the opposite field. Every time he hits a ball to the right side it's a popup or flyball. Maybe he's compensating for this hole in his swing by simply trying to pull everything, since he isn't getting the job done by trying to hit behind the runner, etc..

Dadawg_77
09-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
One thing I've noticed about Frank is that he no longer seems capable of getting on top of a pitch when going to the opposite field. Every time he hits a ball to the right side it's a popup or flyball. Maybe he's compensating for this hole in his swing by simply trying to pull everything, since he isn't getting the job done by trying to hit behind the runner, etc..

IMHO, hitter capable like Frank should never try to hit behind the runner. I would never want nor want your top notch hitter to do anything but hit the ball. They have abiltiy to do so much that it isn't worth it to lose their at bat to advance a runner one base.