PDA

View Full Version : Four Man Rotation Debate

Lip Man 1
09-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Frankly I'm shocked that this hasn't been plastered all over WSI and debated.

This comment appeared in both the Daily Southtown and Tribune today (Saturday). It's from Jerry Manuel when asked by reporters if the Sox will go to a four man rotation for the final two weeks...

"We've pondered that for quite a while, we'll still have to ponder."

I don't know if it would be best for the Sox to go to a four man rotation or not, personally I think they should because as pointed out in other threads, the collective stats from Wright, Porzio, Stewart and Cotts as 5th starters has been about as bad as the stiffs the Sox tried in 96 which cost them the Wild Card spot.

My point though is that with two weeks left in the season, you're still pondering it?

By the time Manager Gandhi decides the point will be moot because the season will be over!

Here is another example of the Charlie Brown wishy - washy mentality that afflicts the Sox manager. Make a decision, tell the pitchers and put it to rest one way or another.

In the same story in the Daily Southtown, Loazia states that the Sox ARE going to a four man rotation. See the confusion? If that's the case again why not tell the players, inform the media and be done with it. This isn't a state secret.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that "I just don't understand baseball..."

Lip

Dadawg_77
09-13-2003, 12:53 PM
I am just fed up with the Sox's pondering. Their line of thinking is becoming more of a joke day by day. They should have foreseen the fifth starter as a weak point in the attack during the point of the season when you need to win every game. Let Jerry ponder and when he makes up his mind in October at his couch, he'll let us know.

cornball
09-13-2003, 01:38 PM
There shouldn't be a debate...it is so obvious the 4 man rotation is need RIGHT NOW!!!!

Should have been for the final 6 weeks of the season but now is a must. It is time to panic a little bit because of the schedule differences.

This team will not be together agin as is, and is the best team we have had theoredically in a long time.

The manager has kept the starters around 100 pitches in most starts, so they should be strong enough to do it with no problem.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

MRKARNO
09-13-2003, 03:18 PM
I havent said FIre Jerry since about May or June, but if JM starts someone other than Garland, Loaiza, Buerhle or Loaiza for a reason other than injury, I think Manuel needs to be shown the door after the season even if we just barely miss the playoffs.

TornLabrum
09-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Believe it or not, I don't think a four-man rotation is a good idea at this point. We already have the #4-5-6 pitchers in IP with Colon, Buehrle, and Loaiza. What we did need, and what we didn't get, was another starting pitcher before July 31, or at least before August 31.

Instead, Kenny Williams deluded himself into thinking that Neal Cotts or Danny Wright would somehow be adequate for the job. It's the same trap Ron Schueler fell into several years ago.

I'm with the general on this one.