PDA

View Full Version : Why is this important to JM

Paulwny
09-13-2003, 11:04 AM
I stopped trying to figure out JM's motives, I don't understand why this is important.
In the "Sox Notebook" in the Daily Sothtowns, the last sentence states that JM would try to get Daubach a start in this series.

MarkEdward
09-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I stopped trying to figure out JM's motives, I don't understand why this is important.
In the "Sox Notebook" in the Daily Sothtowns, the last sentence states that JM would try to get Daubach a start in this series.

Well, the Sox will face two righties for the rest of this series, and seeing as though Konerko can't hit righties (.591 OPS) while Daubach can (.801 OPS), I think it would be a smart move.

If it were up to me, Daubach and Konerko would be platooning. Daubach always plays against RHPs, and Konerko plays against LHPs.

FJA
09-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well, the Sox will face two righties for the rest of this series, and seeing as though Konerko can't hit righties (.591 OPS) while Daubach can (.801 OPS), I think it would be a smart move.

If it were up to me, Daubach and Konerko would be platooning. Daubach always plays against RHPs, and Konerko plays against LHPs.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to regularly platoon them, but starting Daubach once against a RHP in Fenway, where he used to play and might have something to prove, is a good idea.

Paulwny
09-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I think it's another JM hunch move hoping Daubach will be motivated against his former team.
If he starts I hope he has a good game, we need something to get on a roll.

Paulwny
09-13-2003, 11:40 AM
The words in the South Towns were "try to get', to me this means he'd rather not but since he played for the red sox, he'd give the start as some sort of gift.
Similar to starting Rowand on the west coast because he went to school there.

idseer
09-13-2003, 12:17 PM
The words in the South Towns were "try to get', to me this means he'd rather not but since he played for the red sox, he'd give the start as some sort of gift.

are you suggesting jerry is more like a little league coach who plays a particular guy because his mommy is in the stands?
say it isn't so!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-13-2003, 12:18 PM

That's the problem, isn't it? It's not that Manuel said he wants to start Daubach in Boston; the problem is that he previously said in similar circumstances that he wanted to start Rowand in Anaheim "because he went to school near here."

I apologize for taking anyone around here to task for not using the English language with precision. It has become obvious our manager isn't up to the task at hand either.