PDA

View Full Version : You canot tell me....

mike squires
09-13-2003, 06:10 AM
That the Sox front office would have sent a Colone or a Loaiza packing if they had made the same gesture to an umpire. I understand that Jose hadn't been with the team long and his poor apperence didn't help him much but when you hear comments like "The Sox won't condone any of that here" from Harrelson and Manuel...The comments should have been "we don't accept those kind of comments from PENIAGUA"...reminds me of high school.

Believe me, I'm glad he's gone. Just an observation.

FJA
09-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
That the Sox front office would have sent a Colone or a Loaiza packing if they had made the same gesture to an umpire. I understand that Jose hadn't been with the team long and his poor apperence didn't help him much but when you hear comments like "The Sox won't condone any of that here" from Harrelson and Manuel...The comments should have been "we don't accept those kind of comments from PENIAGUA"...reminds me of high school.

Would the Sox have sent Loaiza or Colon packing at this point of the season? Probably not, because both have built rapport. Then again, normal baseball players don't flick off umps in a September pennant race because they know the potential consequences for the team as a whole. A guy who hasn't been with the team long selfishly puts the team in a position to have a shaky relationship with the umps? I'd immediately cut him too. Let's not forget: We were doing Jose Paniagua a favor as much as he was doing us a favor (and performance would indicate we were doing him a much bigger favor by giving him another shot at the big leagues).

Jjav829
09-13-2003, 11:57 AM

Of course not. The lower down you are on the roster, the better you need to behave. That's the same reason Rick White is gone right now. Had Gordon said the same thing, he would still be here. If Loaiza had given an ump the finger, he would have gotten a talking to from JR/KW and probably given an apology and that's it. But when you're a guy who pitched in his only game with the team and pitched like crap, then the team really has no reason to keep you around.

TornLabrum
09-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Then again, normal baseball players don't flick off umps...

Please...the term is "flip off." You flick off a mosquito that lands on your arm.. You flip off the guy who cuts you off on the expressway.

And let's not forget that it's "I couldn't care less." If you could care less, you must care.

jabrch
09-13-2003, 06:15 PM

Star players get different treatment than crappy players do. Crappy players get different treatment than sub-crappy players do. All of them deserve better treatment than Paniagua did. He deserves to be sent packing - no doubt.

mike squires
09-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Please don't misunderstand, I agree. However, they should have worded it differently that's all..."The Whitesox won't condone that" makes it sound like any player who makes that gesture would be gone...Good riddance.

I remember a kid from highschool grabbed me by the collars and spit in my gace. The athletic director/basketball coach saw it and walked on by and even smiled. ONly because he was on the team. Sorry, must have sparked a bad memory. I'm over it though, really I am.

steff
09-14-2003, 12:31 AM
I think what they said was right. It sends a message. Not to mention, anyone with half a brain wouldn't do such a thing. Would they toss Bard or Maggs.. no need to ask. They wouldn't do that.

Bottom line.. that crap is NOT needed in the middle of a race. It was childish and immature.

Brian26
09-14-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by steff
Bottom line.. that crap is NOT needed in the middle of a race. It was childish and immature.

Agreed 100%. It's really DUMB. Nobody here needs Juaquin Andujar 2003. We're trying to win this thing.