PDA

View Full Version : Ten reasons why the Sox can win the Central


Chisox353014
09-12-2003, 01:57 PM
I'll give this about 5 minutes before someone refutes every one of these but hey, let's stay positive until there's a reason not to:

1. Our starting pitching is still the best in the division. Minnesota's is shaky (Carlos Pulido?) at best and KC's is a joke (Brad Voyles?). Colon, Beurhle, Garland and Loaiza are all pitching fairly consistently right now.

2. When it's clicking, our lineup is the best in the division. All it takes is one more hot streak and we're in.

3. We've handled KC and New York fairly well this year and KC appears to be fading fast. We have 7 more with KC. As of right now, they're not much better than...

4. The Cleveland Indians, who we just swept. Minnesota is only 5-8 against these guys this year. I think Cleveland will get a few more before its over.

5. The Sox have a tendency to play to the level of their competition. With all the remaining teams in the hunt, it will hopefully bring out their best.

6. Frank Thomas. The man wants to get to the playoffs real bad. He's single-handedly won several games this season with clutch hits.

7. Six more games at home. The Sox can win 5 or 6 of these. We play well at the Cell and in front of big crowds.

8. 3 more at the Crapdome. It's not been a fun place to visit in recent years, but we broke the jinx the last time in winning 2 out of 3.

9. The Twins' luck has to run out sometime. You can only win so many games because of the incompetence of other teams' catchers.

10. It's our turn DAMNIT!!!

Bonus reason: doublem has foreseen it.

CHISOXFAN13
09-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Agree on every count.

We will lead this division when the series in Minny starts Tuesday.

Procol Harum
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
We will lead this division when the series in Minny starts Tuesday.

From your lips to God's ear....

booter14
09-12-2003, 02:11 PM
You are right on all accounts.

The problem is that even in the worst case scenario, the Twinks will win 11 games. Try to find 11 wins in the Sox schedule.

If the Sox win 6 of 9 from Bos, NY, and Minn, then they still need 6 of 7 from KC.

The more talented team doesn't always win, but the better managed team usually wins. This is case in point.

If the Sox don't sweep the Bosox, then the season is lost. We can re-figure the math after that happens.

Dadawg_77
09-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Well the Sox have to win at least 10 of the remaining games, 625 ball, which is doable. If they do that they have a very good chance at winning this thing. This is going to be a fun ride, hopefully. and pack your bags for KC.

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by booter14
You are right on all accounts.

The problem is that even in the worst case scenario, the Twinks will win 11 games. Try to find 11 wins in the Sox schedule.

If the Sox win 6 of 9 from Bos, NY, and Minn, then they still need 6 of 7 from KC.

The more talented team doesn't always win, but the better managed team usually wins. This is case in point.

If the Sox don't sweep the Bosox, then the season is lost. We can re-figure the math after that happens.

I don't see 11 wins as worst case for Twinks. I see 10 wins as probable.

Twinks:
6 vs CLE : 3-3
3 vs SOX : 2-1
7 vs DET : 5-2

SOX (probable)
3 vs BOS: 2-1
3 vs MIN : 2-1
3 vs NYY : 2-1
7 vs KC : 4-3

I see 10 wins.

Do the SOX win div because of h2h vs MIN or is their a playoff?

doublem23
09-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Bonus reason: doublem has foreseen it.

Damn right.

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by freddyvsjason
I don't see 11 wins as worst case for Twinks. I see 10 wins as probable.

Twinks:
6 vs CLE : 3-3
3 vs SOX : 2-1
7 vs DET : 5-2

SOX (probable)
3 vs BOS: 2-1
3 vs MIN : 2-1
3 vs NYY : 2-1
7 vs KC : 4-3

I see 10 wins.

Do the SOX win div because of h2h vs MIN or is their a playoff?

How can both the Sox and Minnesota go 2-1 in their series? :D:

booter14
09-12-2003, 03:09 PM
don't see 11 wins as worst case for Twinks. I see 10 wins as probable.

Twinks:
6 vs CLE : 3-3
3 vs SOX : 2-1
7 vs DET : 5-2

SOX (probable)
3 vs BOS: 2-1
3 vs MIN : 2-1
3 vs NYY : 2-1
7 vs KC : 4-3

I see 10 wins.

Do the SOX win div because of h2h vs MIN or is their a playoff?

In no scenario can the Sox lose 3 games to KC. They need to win 5 games all day or its all over. Minn should win all the DET games in Minn and maybe lose 1 game in DET, so KC is the Sox' version of Detroit. The Sox need to win as many games against KC, as the Twins win against DET.

The Sox need to win 11 more games minimum or its all over. Its a good thing that they have a sparkplug manager to fire them up, and explain the situation to them.