PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer is the BA MLPOTY...

Randar68
09-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Thought there were several more desrving candidates, myself.

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 12:12 PM
What a Bunch of BULL _____. This is a Media Propoganda Decision by Bud Selig himself. Yes, MLB doesnt have a say in who they chose, but you have to believe somehow, Mauer would be picked. WHY you may ask? has anyone noticed suddenly, the media talking about WHAT IF? What if the Twins hadnt been so short-sighted and greedy, and picked Prior anyway? Id like to get to the bottom of this......

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What a Bunch of BULL _____. This is a Media Propoganda Decision by Bud Selig himself. Yes, MLB doesnt have a say in who they chose, but you have to believe somehow, Mauer would be picked. WHY you may ask? has anyone noticed suddenly, the media talking about WHAT IF? What if the Twins hadnt been so short-sighted and greedy, and picked Prior anyway? Id like to get to the bottom of this......

Hangar, man you need to stop drinking so much caffeine... :)

Randar68
09-12-2003, 12:16 PM

Their reasoning was even more silly.

1) Reed performed better, but Mauer plays a more demanding position (true) and has better tools (is this a prospect list or MLPOY award?)
2) Greinke was better, but he's a pitcher, so let's go with the safe pick... (***!?)

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

1) Reed performed better, but Mauer plays a more demanding position (true) and has better tools (is this a prospect list or MLPOY award?)
2) Greinke was better, but he's a pitcher, so let's go with the safe pick... (***!?)

thats amazing. I was going to throw something, even though I didnt know the stats of the other players, (though I knew thru here, that Reed was Unbelievable) and now, im even more convinced something ISNT ADDING UP HERE.

Dadawg_77
09-12-2003, 12:22 PM
thats amazing. I was going to throw something, even though I didnt know the stats of the other players, (though I knew thru here, that Reed was Unbelievable) and now, im even more convinced something ISNT ADDING UP HERE.

What it happen is BA are slaves to tools.

MarkEdward
09-12-2003, 12:22 PM

I guess I can see why they picked Mauer. He is younger and does play a more demanding position, like you said. Also, a catcher with an OPS of 1.000 is more valuable than a left fielder with an OPS of 1.000 (that's not to say Mauer was more valuable than Reed this year).

I don't know about Grienke. His ERA this year was great, but his K rate was pretty low (his control was excellent, however).

Randar68
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I guess I can see why they picked Mauer. He is younger and does play a more demanding position, like you said. Also, a catcher with an OPS of 1.000 is more valuable than a left fielder with an OPS of 1.000 (that's not to say Mauer was more valuable than Reed this year).

I don't know about Grienke. His ERA this year was great, but his K rate was pretty low (his control was excellent, however).

Mauer's OPS was considerably less than .900. Reed's was over 1.000.

Also, Reed had a nearly 2:1 BB:K rate while Mauer had a 1:1 rate.

Dadawg_77
09-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Mauer's OPS was considerably less than .900. Reed's was over 1.000.

With the fact if a catcher has a OPS over .900 people will try to move them to the OF, 1B or a DH, those positions might be a better comparison then just looking at fellow catchers.

Randar68
09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
And the fact if a catcher has a OPS over .900 people will try to move them to the OF, 1B or a DH.

Mauer won't be moving unless he has an injury down the line somewhere requiring it do getinto more games.

I could see him eventually DH'ing in games he doesn't catch.

I don't want to minimize what Mauer has done as such a young catcher. It's pretty remarkable. However, this is the first time I have seen BA make their MLPOY decision based on "tools" or long-term potential.

Reed had far better numbers, also spending some time in CF where he had never played before and not committing an error in AA...

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm confused.
BA = Baseball America?

mLPOY = Minor League Player of the Year?

Mauer?

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by freddyvsjason
I'm confused.
BA = Baseball America?

mLPOY = Minor League Player of the Year?

Mauer?

Yep...

gogosoxgogo
09-12-2003, 07:13 PM
I knew taking Mauer ahead of Prior was the right choice...

fred, Joe Mauer is a catcher in the Twins organizaton.