PDA

View Full Version : Poll of the Year! Will the Sox still win the Division?

South Sider
09-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi Guys!

The last 2 games from our Sox were real terrible.

They reminded me so much of the 2000 playoff games.

No patience at the plate. No clutch hitting. Easy Pop outs
and ground outs, bad defense, bad play calling etc. etc. etc.

But what really bothers me for the remaining games is that the Sox seemingly missing the needed mental toughness !!!!!

Sorry guys, but following the Sox for quiet a few years, I realized that they can't win the MUST-GAMES or really important games like the last 2 ones.

The Twins have a big favor in mental toughness and it showed in the last games

We made Radke (again) look like the real Cy Young candidate (which he isn't of course !!!!)

Watching both games on MLB.TV I knew it was pretty much over when we fell behind 0-2 in the first game and 1-4 yesterday.

You may say that I'm not a real SOX fan and that you are tired of all the pessimism some of us brought up to the board.

Well, I think I am realistic when I say the Sox will go 9-7 or at best 10-6 the rest of the way now that they are mentally hurt and seemingly can't hit the easy line drives when hey really count .

So I believe....the Sox will fail to reach the playoffs....Sorry...
But my Sox experience and my stumache feels that way

Of course I hope that I'm wrong

But I really want to know how all other Sox fans feel

Are the Sox Fans more believers/dreamers or not.

So please vote all and give me some feedback.

Sorry for my lousy english :smile: :smile:

Go SOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarkdog
09-12-2003, 11:36 AM
I actually got playoff tix - I never have luck in this kind of thing. So I have to think positively.

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Dont get me wrong, Im pulling for them 100%. But not having a 1st place lead GOING INTO MINNY is going to hurt us big time.
Weve got about 28 games left, including 16 reg season games that they have to give 110% every game, no mental mistakes, No errors, no impatience at the plate. IF these SOX Cant/Dont realize that they used up their FOOLISH PLAYING/Throwaway Games at the beginning of the year, and NOW NEED TO PLAY THE NEXT 16 WITH A MENTAL/Playoff Toughness, they havnt Exhibited for Long Stretches this season. Who knows....

bc2k
09-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
I actually got playoff tix - I never have luck in this kind of thing. So I have to think positively.

Right, check out all the posts in the playoff tix thread. Everyone there believes the Sox will win the division otherwise they wouldn't have wasted their time buying tix. WE BELIEVE!

doublem23
09-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Damn ****in' straight they will.

toledosoxfan
09-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Looks like the optimists outnumber the pesimists on this board. Who would of thought with all the negative posts!

Go SOX Go!! :smile:

inta
09-12-2003, 02:35 PM
i hope for the best. but i'm bracing for the worst.

if the xpos can beat the cubs and milwaukee can beat the astros, maybe the twins wont have the cake walk we're all expecting them to have. that's my only hope.

the sox cooled off texas, hopefully they can do the same to boston.

i feel like my entire life as as sox fan is hanging on these next few weeks.

alohafri
09-12-2003, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't be a real Sox fan if I said yes. :(:

--Mrs. Aloha

ode to veeck
09-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Weve got about 28 games left, including 16 reg season games that they have to give 110% every game, no mental mistakes, No errors, no impatience at the plate. IF these SOX Cant/Dont realize that they used up their FOOLISH PLAYING/Throwaway Games at the beginning of the year, and NOW NEED TO PLAY THE NEXT 16 WITH A MENTAL/Playoff Toughness,

I can't think of a better tune up for the first Sox postseason success in 86 years!!

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 02:55 PM
I voted yes, but I think the real question should be if the SOX are still in 1st after the Metrodome series will they win the div?

It's a tough question to answer now no matter how you shake it. We still control our own destiny but it's a destiny likened to reaching the top of Everest first.

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Stone & Carey speaking on the SOX:

It's been very praiseworthy.
Stone says the SOX have the ability to beat the BOSOX, the YANKEES, the TWINKS, & the ROYALS.

They give GM of the YEAR to Kenny Williams. And they give runner up to scrub guy.

BOSOX 4 gms back of NYY. Now they are talking BOSOX vs scrubs in WS.

SEA trails BOSOX by 1.5 in WC.

ma-gaga
09-12-2003, 06:59 PM
freddyvsjason []
Posts Per Day: 30

You kick ass man.

I wouldn't be a real Sox fan if I said yes

SouthBendSox
09-12-2003, 08:28 PM
I just cant trust them anymore

HawkDJ
09-12-2003, 08:44 PM
South Sider...your English is perfect. You don't need to apologize for it. :smile:

I voted no also. I agree with most of the things South Sider said...sorry guys. I'm just a pessimistic person and I'm not getting a good feeling.

OEO Magglio
09-12-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm going to have to say that they won't win the central, the way the twins are playing with the schedule they got, I'd say they're definitely going to win it, it's very sad that with all the talent this sox has, they might not even make the postseason.

South Sider
09-13-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by South Sider
No patience at the plate. No clutch hitting. Easy Pop outs
and ground outs, bad defense, bad play calling etc. etc. etc.

Just in case you wondered what etc. etc. etc. means

Well since last nights game you can add walks, walks, walks
to that list of failure.

I can't believe, that we still are in 1st place and can control our own destiny!

Come on Sox.........WAKE UP.........and start playing fundamental Baseball !!!!!!!!!!!

Go Sox !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg1983
09-13-2003, 09:06 AM
Put me down as agreeing with the pessimistic folks on this one. I'm still 100% behind the Sox. I'll be watching every game I can, and checking the paper or the Internet for scores first thing every morning.

But I became so depressed after that Thursday game against the Twins. You can try to be ultra-rational about it and say "It's just one game, it doesn't count for any more than any other game," but I think most of us know in our guts that isn't true. It was a home game, with our ace on the mound, and everything should have been set for a STATEMENT game. And instead, we got wobbly pitching, crummy defense, and comatose bats.

I had hoped they'd shake themselves out of it in Boston last night, but that certainly didn't happen. I really wish someone would tell Manuel to keep Danny Wright out of the rotation and in the bullpen where he belongs. 'Course, when you really don't have a 5th starter, that's easier said than done.

And here we see why strength of schedule really matters. The Twins are hardly a perfect team. They'll lose their share before the season is out, even to the Indians and Kitties. But with the Sox playing playoff-caliber teams the rest of the way, and with a giant question mark taking the mound every 5th day, they're just not in a position on a regular basis to take advantage.

Not unless they start playing consistently excellent baseball, of course. And it could still happen. But a very disturbing trend began in the top of the 9th on Tuesday night (even though we won), and I'm still waiting for a sign that it will reverse itself.

C'mon guys...make us proud!

South Sider
09-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Greg1983
Put me down as agreeing with the pessimistic folks on this one. I'm still 100% behind the Sox. I'll be watching every game I can, and checking the paper or the Internet for scores first thing every morning.

But I became so depressed after that Thursday game against the Twins. You can try to be ultra-rational about it and say "It's just one game, it doesn't count for any more than any other game," but I think most of us know in our guts that isn't true. It was a home game, with our ace on the mound, and everything should have been set for a STATEMENT game. And instead, we got wobbly pitching, crummy defense, and comatose bats.

Amen !!!!!!!

I totally agree to any of your thoughts and feelings !

There is only one thing that is different for me.

I started feeling this way with the game on Wednesday.

For me...this was the really important game.

If we've won that one then the Domino-effect would not let us to this damned situation !

Go Sox

TornLabrum
09-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Greg1983

I had hoped they'd shake themselves out of it in Boston last night, but that certainly didn't happen. I really wish someone would tell Manuel to keep Danny Wright out of the rotation and in the bullpen where he belongs. 'Course, when you really don't have a 5th starter, that's easier said than done.

And their performance is itself a statement, just not the kind we wanted to hear.