PDA

View Full Version : Marte interested in starting

Paulwny
09-12-2003, 08:18 AM
From the Sun Times:

September 12, 200
Reliever Damaso Marte admitted this week that he went to the White Sox coaching staff two months ago to let them know he would be interested in becoming a starter in the future.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep12.html

Gumshoe
09-12-2003, 09:51 AM
by the "Keith Foulke Detractor logic" that means that Damaso sucks because he wants to be a starter, even though his ERA is phenomenal! Oh, Damaso, why'd you have to go and do that?

Douche bags

Gumshoe

Iwritecode
09-12-2003, 10:42 AM
He'd have to build up his stamina but he might not be a bad starter. He's got a good 98MPH fastball along with a wicked sllider. I think he has a curve and change but I'm not sure...

I'd hate to lose him as a set up man/closer though...

Bobby Thigpen
09-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Maybe I'm way off base, but wasn't he a starter in the Pirates system? Didn't he get bombed in that role? Wasn't that one of the reasons were able to pick him up? I don't know why the future closer on this team wants to start.

FarmerAndy
09-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
by the "Keith Foulke Detractor logic" that means that Damaso sucks because he wants to be a starter, even though his ERA is phenomenal! Oh, Damaso, why'd you have to go and do that?

Gumshoe

No, but these guys need to accept it when they are good at something in a certain role, and just do it.

I'm sure everybody wants to be a starter. But guess what, Damaso? NOBODY CARES. Stick to doing what you're good at.

34 Inch Stick
09-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe

Douche bags

Gumshoe

Better to be a prince in hell than a peasant in heaven.

TDog
09-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Wilbur Wood was interested in starting when he was the only pitcher the Sox could go to in the bullpen. Same with LaMarr Hoyt. They did pretty well as starters.

idseer
09-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Wilbur Wood was interested in starting when he was the only pitcher the Sox could go to in the bullpen. Same with LaMarr Hoyt. They did pretty well as starters.

that's a good point. i wouldn't reject it out of hand. we do have depth in the bp. maybe it would be worth a shot considering what out staff may look like in 2 years.

MarkEdward
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Marte's minor league stats:
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?1542

Nothing special (except for '98; 6 Ks in 121 innings?! That can't be right). I'd probably leave him as a reliever.

idseer
09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Marte's minor league stats:
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?1542

Nothing special (except for '98; 6 Ks in 121 innings?! That can't be right). I'd probably leave him as a reliever.

it may not work out. but i wouldn't go by any 6 year old stats to make a dicision with. they have no bearing on what he may be capable of now.

doublem23
09-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Looks like he better pack his bags for Oakland!

:KW
Think I can still get that Isringhausen guy? What....

Win1ForMe
09-12-2003, 01:38 PM
I don't know about Marte as a starter. He's basically a two-pitch pitcher (fastball and slider). It works for one inning but I don't know about 3 or 4 times around a lineup. Plus, his velocity will probably dip down when he has throw for an entire game. Ex starters who entered the bullpen (Gagne, Smoltz, Farnsworth) all throw harder because they don't have to conserve themselves.

Plus, how many reliable guys in the bullpen will we have next year?

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Typically pitchers who are equally successful vs LH & RH are candidates for the rotation.

In Marte's case the numbers are there.
What's missing is durability & effectiveness when hitters see him 3/4 times in a game. It's the effectiveness that weeds out most candidates.

Foulke used to beat the door down to start, but he really was never starters material. He wasn't effective vs both sides of the plate & so many FB outs went to the warning track that it was a sure bet that if hitters seen him 3/4 times a game his effectiveness would wear.

If Marte really wants to be a starter & then I would say winter ball is where the SOX should try it out.

gosox41
09-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
He'd have to build up his stamina but he might not be a bad starter. He's got a good 98MPH fastball along with a wicked sllider. I think he has a curve and change but I'm not sure...

I'd hate to lose him as a set up man/closer though...

A good start is much more important to a team then a great reliever.

Bob

doublem23
09-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Yes, but a good reliever is more important to a team than a ****ty starter.

MRKARNO
09-12-2003, 03:30 PM
I think we owe him at least 2-3 starts in spring training next year, and we'll see how he does.

TheRockinMT
09-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I don't know about Marte as a starter. He's basically a two-pitch pitcher (fastball and slider). It works for one inning but I don't know about 3 or 4 times around a lineup. Plus, his velocity will probably dip down when he has throw for an entire game. Ex starters who entered the bullpen (Gagne, Smoltz, Farnsworth) all throw harder because they don't have to conserve themselves.

Plus, how many reliable guys in the bullpen will we have next year?

Marte has pitched an excellent 3 inning of relief as his longest outing. I don't now about his satmina, but we only see 7 inning straters for the most pasrt anyway. I think Marte with a great fastball, slider AND curve don't forget might be real succesful as a starter and we need a #5 man in the rotation. Wright to the Bullpen and we have lefties Schoenenweis and Wunsch there. Gordon and maybe Koch wil not botch next year. Give Marte a chance.

shane
09-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

With a GREAT reliever from beginning to now, I think you could add at least 6 wins to this team. I'd much rather be 6 games up on the twinkies right now. We've got good starters. I'd have a more difficult time arguing with the statement if it were "a great starter is much more important than a good reliever."

hose
09-13-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by TDog

Your post reminds me of Goose Gossage . He failed when he tried going from the pen to a starting role.

Of course none of these guys have anything to do with Marte having success as a starter.

I would rather see Marte stay in his present role as set up/closer and then migrate to the closer some day.

TDog
09-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by hose
Your post reminds me of Goose Gossage . He failed when he tried going from the pen to a starting role.

Of course none of these guys have anything to do with Marte having success as a starter.

I would rather see Marte stay in his present role as set up/closer and then migrate to the closer some day.

I agree. Wilbur Wood's success should not be a predictor of Marte's. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Marte as a potential starter. And two solid lefties in your starting rotation would be an awesome thing, especially with such different styles.

Pitchers usually end up doing (or trying to do) what their team needs from them. The Sox tried both Terry Forster and Goose Gossage in the starting role, and they turned out to be better suited for relief. Other relief pitchers had success as starters but ended up as relievers because they fit that role so well. John Smoltz is more valuable to the Braves as a reliever. Dennis Eckersley and Hoyt Wilhelm are remembered as relievers, but both pitched no-hitters early in their careers.

Marte is so good out of the bullpen, he may never get a chance to start.

idseer
09-13-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by shane
With a GREAT reliever from beginning to now, I think you could add at least 6 wins to this team. I'd much rather be 6 games up on the twinkies right now. We've got good starters. I'd have a more difficult time arguing with the statement if it were "a great starter is much more important than a good reliever."

yeah we have good starters now. but what about 2 years from now? most likely be without colon and buehrle.

StillMissOzzie
09-13-2003, 11:51 PM
As much as the Sox would miss his set-up role, I would have to at least take a look. After seeing the stats for this team's 5th starter this year, I'm sure Marte couldn't be any worse. Maybe it's easier to find a good setup man than a mediocre 4th or 5th starter. Whoever it was that suggested having him start in winter ball, I'll second that.

:gulp:

shane
09-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by idseer
yeah we have good starters now. but what about 2 years from now? most likely be without colon and buehrle.

All we can do is hope that we have a good starting rotation 2 years from now. With the way the game goes these days, there's no telling who will be on the field in 2 years.

SpringfldFan
09-15-2003, 11:40 AM
I like him in his current setup role (who couldn't). The idea of him as a starter may be worth a look, but if he remains a reliever, I am not sure I want him to be the closer. Are there many power lefties around who close games? I don't think so and I think that that is because they are such a valuable option against left handed hitters in key points of the game. Being able to trot someone out there whenever you need to retire a left handed bat is a very valuable commodity to have IMO.