PDA

View Full Version : Slim to No Chance of winning Division Now

ssang
09-12-2003, 08:30 AM
I hate to say it but it's true. I think the Sox will play well to close the season but the fact that the Twins play the Tigers 7 more times will ultimatley kill our chances. We have to rely on the worst team ever to win a few games. The Twins absolutley own the Tigers (24 of last 25 or something)!! So basically, we will lose this division because of our multiple loses to the Tigers (the worst team ever!!) It's sad to think that is why we will be watching the Twins in the playoffs again. UNREAL!!! We are sooooo much better than them. I hate baseball!

sox_fan_forever
09-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Let's just be as pessimistic as possible....

I was upset they lost those last two games, but I'm not going to dwell on it. Last time I checked the Sox are still tied for first place with a couple weeks of baseball left to play. By no means do I think they are a lock. They are going to have to work hard for this. But it isn't over until it's over.

steff
09-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Holy cow. I thought the phrase "wait till next year" was for Cub fans...

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 09:11 AM
I was very confident that we would SWEEP the Twins, esp knowing we were HOME and were about to hit the Road to Boston and Minny. The worst thing for us wouldve been to be swept OR only SPLIT the series, thereby TAKING 4 more chances away From us of Controllling our Destiny. We can only HOPE WERE STILL TIED going into Minn now.....and take control again.
I DIDNT WANT US GOING INTO THE SERIES WITHOUT A LEAD IN MINNY. the Twins have it Free and Easy now....

hsnterprize
09-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey!!!!!!!

Look...I know not winning 3 out of 4 vs. Minnesota is disappointing. I would've loved to see the Sox win 3 out of 4 or sweep. However, let's not forget that the season isn't over. I know it doesn't look too good considering the Twins' easy schedule vs. the Sox hard schedule. However, our team isn't playing the "spoilers" that don't have anything to lose. It's easy to forget that teams that are out of any playoff run are going to be more loose and fancy-free than teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

I know that Boston is fighting for a wildcard spot...I know that they'll be going tooth and nail for survival. However, let's not forget that our Sox are fighting for a division title. Call me "optimistic" if you want, but I'm conficent that our White Sox can pull this road trip out with success. Yes...it's a more difficult road than Minnesota, or even the sCrUBS. However, I believe that when this road trip is over, not only will we be in first place, but we'll have some space between us and the 2nd place team.

Keep the faith, Sox fans. I know it's tough, but KW didn't make all these moves and the Sox haven't overcome 1st half adversity for us to sulk in their not being 20 games ahead in 1st place. If that were the case, we'd might become complacent, and take the Sox success for granted. Let's appreciate the team's good fortune. We want a winner...that's a given. Let's get behind our team and shoot for 1st place all by our lonesome.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

Paulwny
09-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Hey!!!!!!!

It's easy to forget that teams that are out of any playoff run are going to be more loose and fancy-free than teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

I think they've been saying this since the game was invented. It's all media hype to attract a few more fans to the games.
Det. has a AAA team and called up more AAA players for a look-see. These players will be tight , first time in the big show.
Sox need to go on a monsterous winning streak.

mandmandm
09-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Hey!!!!!!!

Look...I know not winning 3 out of 4 vs. Minnesota is disappointing. I would've loved to see the Sox win 3 out of 4 or sweep. However, let's not forget that the season isn't over. I know it doesn't look too good considering the Twins' easy schedule vs. the Sox hard schedule. However, our team isn't playing the "spoilers" that don't have anything to lose. It's easy to forget that teams that are out of any playoff run are going to be more loose and fancy-free than teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

I know that Boston is fighting for a wildcard spot...I know that they'll be going tooth and nail for survival. However, let's not forget that our Sox are fighting for a division title. Call me "optimistic" if you want, but I'm conficent that our White Sox can pull this road trip out with success. Yes...it's a more difficult road than Minnesota, or even the sCrUBS. However, I believe that when this road trip is over, not only will we be in first place, but we'll have some space between us and the 2nd place team.

Keep the faith, Sox fans. I know it's tough, but KW didn't make all these moves and the Sox haven't overcome 1st half adversity for us to sulk in their not being 20 games ahead in 1st place. If that were the case, we'd might become complacent, and take the Sox success for granted. Let's appreciate the team's good fortune. We want a winner...that's a given. Let's get behind our team and shoot for 1st place all by our lonesome.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, what he/she said!!!!!!

jabrch
09-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ssang
I hate to say it but it's true. I think the Sox will play well to close the season but the fact that the Twins play the Tigers 7 more times will ultimatley kill our chances. We have to rely on the worst team ever to win a few games. The Twins absolutley own the Tigers (24 of last 25 or something)!! So basically, we will lose this division because of our multiple loses to the Tigers (the worst team ever!!) It's sad to think that is why we will be watching the Twins in the playoffs again. UNREAL!!! We are sooooo much better than them. I hate baseball!

You are nuts. We are still in control of our own destiny. That's the bottom line. We have 3 games vs Minnesota left. We also have 7 games vs the Royals and ya know what...the Royal suck eggs. I know they have hung around all season, but that pitching staff is terrible. As far as the Yankees, I think we proved in The House that Ruth Built that we can beat them - imagine it at The House that Frank Built? And as far as 3 vs Boston, we ducked Pedro - how's that for a blessing? So those games are winnable.

This playoff run has little to do with the Kittys of Detroit. It has everything to do with the Chicago White Sox. If you want to jump off the bandwaggon and quit now, that's fine. I don't care. But me personally - no way - not while WE ARE STILL IN FIRST PLACE and have a far superior club to both Minnesota and KC.

But hear me now...If you get off the bandwaggon now, I don't want to see you at my party at Grant Park.

KingXerxes
09-12-2003, 09:52 AM
I am still very confident that we'll win this division. The White Sox always play well against GOOD teams when they need to.

Procol Harum
09-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Let's face it folks, the Sox have a mighty tough row to hoe in the next week. In order to have a chance at winning this thing we're going to have to go into two places where we haven't done all that well against two teams who are also fighting for their lives. It will take a lot of psychological toughness between the ears to come out successfully (which, at this stage of the game, I guess I would have to define as still being tied). Unfortunately, the last two days have only served to convince me what I have suspected--the White Sox aren't real big in that department. Here's hopin' they prove me wrong.

I know one thing, I would have felt a whole lot better about the possibility of actually getting to use the playoff tickets I'm gonna be scrambling to get if we were still 2 games up on the Twins going on this road trip. :(:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2003, 10:08 AM
The Sox had the easy, inside-the-rail position towards the finish line as recently as Tuesday night. They blew it. Now Minnesota has the rail. The Sox will have to do it the hard way.

There is no news here. It's been like this my entire life. It was also like this my entire grandfather's life, too. :smile:

FarWestChicago
09-12-2003, 10:17 AM
I hate baseball! Then you should probably stop watching it.

Bobby Thigpen
09-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Really, out of the Sox' remaining games the only ones that really bother me are these three in Boston. The Sox suck on the road, but the last time they were in Minny, they tore the place up. I think that will happen again. Thankfully they also get the Yankees at home, where they have been outstanding all year long. Then there is the seven games left against the Royals. The Sox have seemingly overcame they're early season struggles against them, and the Royals are apparently imploding. Not really too bothersome. Sure the Twins play the patsies of the division for the rest of the year, but I still think this is the Sox' division to lose.

Besides, baseball is a weird sport. Anything that can happen usually does happen.

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Nothing great should ever come easy...

Bobby Thigpen
09-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Nothing great should ever come easy...

Excellent quote voodoo, who did it come from? Or are you just paraphrasing something I've seen before?

HawkDJ
09-12-2003, 10:34 AM
I agree this is the Twins division to lose. They have the advantage. But there is certainly a chance we could win still. This season has been pretty crazy so far, you never know what could happen. I'm about to buy playoff tickets, so even I have some hope.

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Excellent quote voodoo, who did it come from? Or are you just paraphrasing something I've seen before?

Someone said it, but I am no historian, so I cannot tell you who...

Iwritecode
09-12-2003, 10:37 AM
The Twins absolutley own the Tigers (24 of last 25 or something)!!

Yes, but for some reason they are under .500 against the Indians. Plus the Sox get to play them 3 more times...

mandmandm
09-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Really, out of the Sox' remaining games the only ones that really bother me are these three in Boston.

I agree. I have seen at least 6 Sox vs. Sox games in person in the last three years (including 2 in Boston) and I recall only one good Sox victory. I hope the bullpen is ready for a five and out from Danny. It would be a nice suprise if Wright could give 6-7 innings and get a win in Boston.

Gumshoe
09-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Chicago is such a "what have you done lately" place!!!

Like Bobby Thigpen said, the only games that make this a little hairy are the 3 upcoming in Boston.

Look guys, we are still in 1st, and MIN has NOTHING guaranteed. This is baseball.

What's the problem? If we play well at Boston, all we have left is KC, 3 AT MIN, and the Yanks for one series. That's not that big of a problem. It's entirely possible for us to take 2 or even all 3 at MIN. It'll be hard, but it's VERY possible.

KC is not that scary. And we can beat the Yanks (that's at home).

As has been said, it's up to us. I don't believe in superstition or anything in the past affecting us now. I believe we are the best team in the division. Bring on the big boys and see if we can get it done.

Gumshoe

booter14
09-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Its a numbers game at this point and the Twinks have the advantage.

Twins Schedule: Clev for 6 games (they win 4 at least); Det for 7 games (they win 6 at least); Sox for 3 games (they win 1 at least). They will win at least 11 more games for 89 wins overall.

Sox Schedule: Boston for 3 (they win 1 at least); Yanks for 3(they win 2 at least); Minn for 3 (they win 2 at least); KC for 7 (they need to win at least 6 games). Based on this overly optimistic prediction the Sox & Twins finish tied with 89 wins.

It does not look good. The Sox need to win 5 of 6 from the Bosox & Yanks in order to play postseason ball, and at least 6 of the 9 games left with Bos, NY, & Minn. The Twins will more than likely win 12 more games.

This could be one of the all time pennant races or just another White Sox tease season.

alohafri
09-12-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm a typical pessimistic Sox fan. I'm terribly nervous about this last stretch. But on the other hand, if the Sox do end up winning the division, I will feel much better about our chances in the post season.

It's been a roller coaster ride since the AS break. I just hope I can hang in there and survive the rest of the ride!!
:smile:

--Mrs. Aloha

THE_HOOTER
09-12-2003, 11:03 AM
The schedule doesnt scare me as much as how pathetic and lethargic the ENTIRE team looked the last two games.

We tend to stay in this type of funk for more than 2 games.

Procol Harum
09-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Chicago is such a "what have you done lately" place!!!

And who can blame Chicago for that?

2003 White Sox Fan: "I'm kinda worried about our chances to make the playoffs this year, what have you done lately for me, White Sox?"

White Sox: "Choked in the playoffs in 2000, 1993, and 1983; of course '83 was out first playoff appearance since our last appearance in the World Series in 1959, and before that we hadn't been to the World Series since 1919--but, hey, we won our last World Championship in 1917."

Those Sox fans are so fickle!! :)

Paulwny
09-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
And who can blame Chicago for that?

2003 White Sox Fan: "I'm kinda worried about our chances to make the playoffs this year, what have you done lately for me, White Sox?"

White Sox: "Choked in the playoffs in 2000, 1993, and 1983; of course '83 was out first playoff appearance since our last appearance in the World Series in 1959, and before that we hadn't been to the World Series since 1919--but, hey, we won our last World Championship in 1917."

Those Sox fans are so fickle!! :)

C'mon Procol, don't tell me you don't belive in " all things come to those who wait".

Procol Harum
09-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
C'mon Procol, don't tell me you don't belive in " all things come to those who wait".

Yeah, and who wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.....

soxruleEP
09-12-2003, 11:41 AM
The only reason to despair is so that we get a head start on our possible misery later.

It's a numbers game--as some one said in an earlier post. Given there are 16 games left and we are tied, we need a combination of Sox victories and Twins losses totaling 17.

I think Cleveland might help us a little.

And we need to get the job done ourselves against the Twins--a sweep means 6 of those 17 right off the bat.

FarmerAndy
09-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
You are nuts. We are still in control of our own destiny.

You are dead wrong. The problem is that we no longer control our own destiny.

We needed to gain a couple of games over Minny, and we didn't. Now we can't just rely on the Sox playing good ball. The Twins will have to blow some games against weak competition for us to make the playoffs, we have no control over that.

The Sox could play great and win 12 of the next 16 games. But even if we do that, we're out of it if the Twins win 13 of their next 16. When you have to rely on another team choking just as much as you rely on your team winning, then you are no longer in control of your own destiny.

I'm not saying we can't pull this off, but we can't do it alone. All we can do is play our games and win. But we are going to need some serious help from Cleveland, and maybe even, gulp, Detroit.

Gumshoe
09-12-2003, 12:17 PM
We need to do what we need to do. Period. They have to do the same thing. You're guessing at things, and that doesn't mean anything. The Twins might lose to teams just like we might, they might lose a lot in a row like we might. You can't tell.

I'm still on the bandwagon.

It'll come down to your belief in Big Frank. He'll be seen as a choke artist or a hero, just like Sammy up north ...

Gumshoe

ps -it all starts with Danny Wright tonight. Let's murder Suppan.

daveeym
09-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Oh the BS. We sweep Boston take the first two in the Homerdome and then when we lose game three due to some bonehead decision by Manuel we get to bitch and moan all over again.

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Voodoo can vouch for me. Voodoo, wasnt I sitting there, not Excited at all yesterday? I was watching our best chances for winning this division......slip..................sliding....... .........away........

These Sox have to STAY FOCUSED.....for 28 Straight Games......
(16 reg season, 12 PostSeason)

MANUEL SHOULD TELL THE SOX THIS. PRETEND ITS A NEW SEASON. THE SOX AND TWINS are 0-0 in the standings.
16 Games Left ......... WHose Going to WIN THIS???

FarmerAndy
09-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

MANUEL SHOULD TELL THE SOX THIS. PRETEND ITS A NEW SEASON. THE SOX AND TWINS are 0-0 in the standings.
16 Games Left ......... WHose Going to WIN THIS???

NO! Don't tell them that! Have you forgotten how the Sox started the season? If Manuel told them to think of it like a new season, we'd have to listen to Paul Konerko say "It's still early" after every loss. :)

Dan H
09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
The Sox need to sweep the Twins in Minnesota if they want to win this thing. I've seen little league teams better that the Tigers and I have nightmares of the Twins winning all those seven games. However, the Sox have played well against the Yankees. There is still hope, but we have to remember Jerry Manuel is the manager.

JRIG
09-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Here's my feeling on all the worrying about schedules:

JUST WIN

Don't freaking worry about who the Twins play. They have to go out and play nine innings too. The Twins are not the kind of team that can guarantee victories. Their pitching is shaky and their offense is by no means guaranteed of putting up a bunch of runs every game. Take care of your own business. If we go 16-0 we win the division by at least 3 games guaranteed.

JUST WIN

Dick Allen
09-12-2003, 01:13 PM
I hate to say it, but the Sox are toast. Any games they have played that had such monumental importance, such as the playoff appearances in '83, '93, and '00, and YESTERDAY'S GAME, which to me was the defining game of the season, the same things have happened - missed opportunities, opponent cashing in on all theirs, physical and mental errors, etc., etc. Yesterday's game meant the difference between a tie and a two-game lead, which was HUGE considering the remaining schedules of the two teams. As we have seen so often in the past, they blew it. The life of a White Sox fan.

Procol Harum
09-12-2003, 01:13 PM
What makes you feel particularly good is that after losing the momentum in the Twins series we go into Boston with...Danny Wright as our starter...DOH!!

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
What makes you feel particularly good is that after losing the momentum in the Twins series we go into Boston with...Danny Wright as our starter...DOH!!

GO DANNY! GO SOX! WOOHOO! Beat these nasty naysayers down!

Lip Man 1
09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Bobby Thiggy says : "Anything that can happen usually does happen..."

He's 100% correct! and it usually DOES happen...TO the White Sox.

JRIG says: "The Twins are not the type of team that can guarantee victories."

Ummmm... you mean the team that has the best record in baseball since the All Star Break at 33-17?

The team that won a game with two outs in the 9th when a catcher dropped a throw and saw the ball roll up the first base line? (How big is THAT game right about now folks???)

or the team that won a game with two outs in the 9th when a catcher dropped a 3rd strike which would have ended the game?

Sounds like they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Lip

Lip

doublem23
09-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Pfft! They get 7 with Detroit, but we get 7 with KC. I think we're still in the goods.

Minnesota is done. Go Sox!

JRIG
09-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

JRIG says: "The Twins are not the type of team that can guarantee victories."

Ummmm... you mean the team that has the best record in baseball since the All Star Break at 33-17?

The team that won a game with two outs in the 9th when a catcher dropped a throw and saw the ball roll up the first base line? (How big is THAT game right about now folks???)

or the team that won a game with two outs in the 9th when a catcher dropped a 3rd strike which would have ended the game?

Sounds like they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Those are examples of what we normal people call "luck." Are you seriously trying to argue that the Twins are causing opposing players to drop balls allowing them to win games? That's non-sensical.

The Twins are 7th in the league in ERA and 7th in the league in runs scored. There is no guarantee they'll continue winning at at .660 clip. Unless they continue to use their magic powers to cause opponents to drop outs.

JUST WIN

doublem23
09-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Those are examples of what we normal people call "luck." Are you seriously trying to argue that the Twins are causing opposing players to drop balls allowing them to win games? That's non-sensical.

The Twins are 7th in the league in ERA and 7th in the league in runs scored. There is no guarantee they'll continue winning at at .660 clip. Unless they continue to use their magic powers to cause opponents to drop outs.

JUST WIN

Well said. I agree with everthing.

Who's to say? You can either be miserable these next two or so weeks or you can enjoy this pennant race. And the Sox will win.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm saying as you correctly pointed out that the Twins seem to have the element of luck going for them.

A good team AND luck are a hard combination to beat.

Throw in the difference in schedules and it's going to be another long cold Winter, especially if the Cubs use their easy schedule the last two weeks to get into the playoffs.

We'll see...

Lip

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 02:07 PM
I'm saying as you correctly pointed out that the Twins seem to have the element of luck going for them.

A good team AND luck are a hard combination to beat.

Throw in the difference in schedules and it's going to be another long cold Winter, especially if the Cubs use their easy schedule the last two weeks to get into the playoffs.

We'll see...

Lip

You act like luck is an actual force of nature and that because a team has some luck here and there, they will get lucky bounces all the time.

Luck is cyclical and there is NO cosmic force causing one team to get lucky while another team flounders. It just doesn't happen like that. You remember the lucky bounce the Twins got in that game, but ignore the bad luck they had with calls in the Sox series. Luck as you call it is human perception trying to make sense out of things that don't make sense. Nothing more, nothing less. That doesn't stop me from wearing lucky shirts or being superstitious myself, but in the end, it has nothing to do with the cosmos or fate or destiny or any of that crap. We humans just like to think that it does to put order to our otherwise chaotic lives and make ourselves feel better about things that go wrong for us.

Fate is a four letter word...

longshot7
09-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Beat these nasty naysayers down!

I'm hoping... I'm crossing my fingers... I'm watching every game and cheering loudly...

but it's a little hard to be optimistic when our last pennant was 44 YEARS ago

and our last World Series victory was 86 FREAKIN' YEARS ago.

as with all Chicago sports, I'll believe it when I see it.

GO SOX!!

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
I'm hoping... I'm crossing my fingers... I'm watching every game and cheering loudly...

but it's a little hard to be optimistic when our last pennant was 44 YEARS ago

and our last World Series victory was 86 FREAKIN' YEARS ago.

as with all Chicago sports, I'll believe it when I see it.

GO SOX!!

What does that have to do with this year's team? Explain it to me and I'll try to accept that viewpoint. Otherwise, it is just more of the same old same old nonsense...

"The past is for losers and cowards" - Da Coach

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 02:24 PM
CLE has success vs MIN especially Rogers & Lohse. Pulido didn't impress me & well Santana is lethal.

But the numbers suggest there is a chance CLE can win this series.

With a little help from the Tribe & taking care of business ourselves there is reason to hope.

ode to veeck
09-12-2003, 02:47 PM
welcome to WSI freddyvsjason!

given how we played against the kittens so far this season, the optimistic Sox fan at this point might be thankful we've got a bunch w/KC instead

hey, when's the last time the Sox we're in such a tight pennant race, '67? Even '83 was over early in sept.

we've got KC this weekend and Twinkies next week, so enough of this sky is falling sentiments based entirely on the Twinks get to play a bunch with the Kittens BS

its way too early to say the seasons over and its all in the numbers right now---as painful as the last two games were, we've got our chances lined up in the next week to put some distance on KC and Minn and then its down to a small enough number of games that anything can happen

focus on winning the ones we've got left, enjoy the great pennant race that we're in and stop the whining, it ain't over yet!

Procol Harum
09-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
---as painful as the last two games were, we've got our chances lined up in the next week to put some distance on KC and Minn . . . . enjoy the great pennant race that we're in and stop the whining, it ain't over yet!

Ode, I don't think the Sox are entirely dead yet, but the current scenario is hardly such as to induce loads of joyous optimism.

Point # 1: "our chances lined up?"

Yeah, lined up like the North Side mob in the garage on Clark St. on St. Valentine's Day, 1929. We really, really needed to come out of the Twinkie series 2 games up. Here on in we have to count on them to lose games as we play out the string against tougher opponents. Who's starting for us tonight in Boston? Is it not Danny Wright? Heck, if we go into Saturday's game still tied with the Twinkies it might qualify as a Grade B miracle.

Point # 2: "enjoy the great pennant race"

Lemme tell ya, as a veteran White Sox fan, I now realize that the only good pennant race is the pennant race you WIN. The ones you lose are painful. It's like telling the Confederate Army on October 31st, 1864 to enjoy the rest of the war because they've made such a great run of it and maybe, just maybe Lincoln will lose the election and the new President will call a cease fire--"Ah, Clem, you remember that great weekend after Chancellorsville when we thought we might win the war?"

longshot7
09-12-2003, 03:09 PM
What does that have to do with this year's team? Explain it to me and I'll try to accept that viewpoint. Otherwise, it is just more of the same old same old nonsense...

"The past is for losers and cowards" - Da Coach

Because nearly a century of losing takes a toll on one's psyche. You come to expect the inevitable failure and take it as a surprise when good things actually happen. That way the letdown you feel when they're eliminated doesn't hurt so much. I'm still rooting hard... but face it, it doesn't look good.

booter14
09-12-2003, 03:18 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/current/ps_odds.htm (http://)

Baseball prospectus gives the Twins a 67% chance of winning the division. The Sox have dropped to 33%.

The Sox need to sweep the Bosox in order to get back in it. They need to be at least tied with Minn going into the final weekend in order to have a chance. They need to right the wrong from the 67' race.

captain54
09-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Beat these nasty naysayers down!

some of us just choose to be realists....there's nothing wrong with that....we've had our hopes crushed since the 60's and this is how we deal with...

based on what we've seen from the Sox this year, the offense is inconsistent and could go belly up at any given moment....that's not being negative, that's just a fact....

when the Sox offense is clicking, it's an awesome sight to see, but time and time again, this year, it comes and it goes....for the Sox to win the division, there is absolutely no room for any mini slumps..

at the end of the year, if the Sox win the division, you have the luxury of "I told you so-ing", all the "naysayers"....and I will eat my crow like a man....

but for now, I'll be of the mindset that the Sox, could possibly be 5 games out when all is said and done......

hey, at least we can look foward to Ghandi being launched.....

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Because nearly a century of losing takes a toll on one's psyche. You come to expect the inevitable failure and take it as a surprise when good things actually happen. That way the letdown you feel when they're eliminated doesn't hurt so much. I'm still rooting hard... but face it, it doesn't look good.

How many of those years have you actually witnessed? Just curious...

gosox41
09-12-2003, 03:28 PM

Back in April when the Sox started 0-3 and only went 12-10 in their first 22 games agains teams that finished below .500 the year before I was being my usual negative self. I was basically told to shove it as the season was early and so forth.

Well here we are in September tied for first place. How many of those people now would like to have a few of those "Corpseball" games back? I know I would.

All the games on the schedule count equally. Those losses in April are making life that much tougher for the Sox right now. But it doesn't matter, because it was still early, right?

Wrong. It's never to early to start winning instead of using time as an excuse for blowing an opportunity.

Bob

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by captain54
some of us just choose to be realists....there's nothing wrong with that....we've had our hopes crushed since the 60's and this is how we deal with...

based on what we've seen from the Sox this year, the offense is inconsistent and could go belly up at any given moment....that's not being negative, that's just a fact....

when the Sox offense is clicking, it's an awesome sight to see, but time and time again, this year, it comes and it goes....for the Sox to win the division, there is absolutely no room for any mini slumps..

at the end of the year, if the Sox win the division, you have the luxury of "I told you so-ing", all the "naysayers"....and I will eat my crow like a man....

but for now, I'll be of the mindset that the Sox, could possibly be 5 games out when all is said and done......

hey, at least we can look foward to Ghandi being launched.....

You admit the Sox offense is streaky and then choose to see the glass half empty viewpoint with your belly up comment. That streaky offense could just as easily average 8 runs a game for the next two weeks - that is by your own definitiion.

You see what you want to see. Nothing more, nothing less. You are choosing to watch from a negative viewpoint to shield yourself if it happens. I'd rather believe that anything is possible and take my chances.

Hedge your bets if you want to, for me it is the easy way out and smacks of having one foot off the bandwagon already...

I'm not climbing off the wagon until the season is mathematically over, period...

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Back in April when the Sox started 0-3 and only went 12-10 in their first 22 games agains teams that finished below .500 the year before I was being my usual negative self. I was basically told to shove it as the season was early and so forth.

Well here we are in September tied for first place. How many of those people now would like to have a few of those "Corpseball" games back? I know I would.

All the games on the schedule count equally. Those losses in April are making life that much tougher for the Sox right now. But it doesn't matter, because it was still early, right?

Wrong. It's never to early to start winning instead of using time as an excuse for blowing an opportunity.

Bob

Well, what do you want, a monument or a medal? Congratulations, you were aware that games in April mean just as much as games in September, way back in April. What does that have to do with the next two weeks?

longshot7
09-12-2003, 03:38 PM

A valid point. I became a die-hard fan near the end of the 82 season, so just over 20 years. But you add that to my dad's fandom, which goes another 40 years, and it feels like so much more.

what can I do? I'm a chicago sports fan - losing is in our blood. It's hard to be optimistic.

but hey, I'd love to eat crow in October. mmm...crow.

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 03:41 PM
A valid point. I became a die-hard fan near the end of the 82 season, so just over 20 years. But you add that to my dad's fandom, which goes another 40 years, and it feels like so much more.

what can I do? I'm a chicago sports fan - losing is in our blood. It's hard to be optimistic.

but hey, I'd love to eat crow in October. mmm...crow.

So in your lifetime, the Sox have made the playoffs 3 times and had another post-season canceled. Man, sucks to be you. Tell your old man to stop raining on your parade...

Go Sox! Crow for all my pessamistic Sox fan friends...

FarWestChicago
09-12-2003, 04:26 PM
You see what you want to see. Nothing more, nothing less. You are choosing to watch from a negative viewpoint to shield yourself if it happens. I'd rather believe that anything is possible and take my chances.

Hedge your bets if you want to, for me it is the easy way out and smacks of having one foot off the bandwagon already...Voodoo, you have hit the nail on the head. The depressoids are merely trying to shield their poor hurt feelings. They don't want to hope and possibly be crushed. They say anybody who does hope isn't "realistic". Bunk, anybody who does hope is willing to take a chance, something they won't do. What will happen will happen. The "past" isn't going to reach out and strike the current players down (sorry Lip, that is just totally irrational). If our guys are good enough they will pull it out somehow. If they aren't, they won't. We would be in better shape if we hadn't made the Murder City Kitties look like the Big Red Machine, but we did. So it just has to be dealt with.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Voodoo asks:

43 Voodoo (I'm 48)

Question for you...how many have you witnessed?

John Ritter just dropped dead last night of a broken aorta (not Jorge!). He was 55.

I'd like to see the Sox in one friggin' World Series before I die and who knows when that will be.

It's easy to be "optimistic" and all smiley giggily poo when you're 25. Try being my age and not seeing one series that I can remember. I was 4 in 59'

Some of you say, well that shouldn't matter there are more important things in life. You're right but it matters to me and I'm the only SOB who's opinion counts when it matters in my life.

I never try to rain on anybody's parade. It's your right to think and act like you wish. I think history shows that the Sox warrent
ZERO reason for optimism. They have screwed up (I'd like to use a stronger word) for the past forty years, they screwed up yesterday and the odds are they'll screw up when the chips are down next year and the year after and so on.

Why do I keep passionately rooting for this dog of a franchise...because I KEEP HOPING that someday they WILL WIN.

Guess that's makes me an OPTIMIST!

But I reserve the right to go after them with every verbal attack I can muster when I think they suck. Just as I keep hoping they'll finally win, I will never stop bashing them when they lose.

After 43 years of rooting, THAT'S MY RIGHT. I've earned that courtesy.

Lip

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 05:35 PM

Hey brother, havnt seen you in these parts for a while. hes
got a good point

Paulwny
09-12-2003, 05:46 PM

I'd like to see the Sox in one friggin' World Series before I die and who knows when that will be.

Lip

Don't worry Lip, we'll see the sox in the series from our rockers in the nursing home. The only trouble is, we won't know what a world series is.

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 05:48 PM
All I'm gonna say is.....I'll be watching the game, probably at Harrigans on North Lincoln tonite. But Im not Optimistic, considering were using our No. 5 Starter, Danny Wright, in a game that has MUST WIN written all over it. WE DONT NEED THE 5th STARTER ANYMORE. WE MUST WIN EVERY GAME NOW.
SO Riddle me This.........
WHY are WE USING A 5th STARTER IN SUCH AN IMPORTANT GAME? We lose 2 of 3, were done folks. At least my playoff money can be used for next years season tickets

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Voodoo asks:

43 Voodoo (I'm 48)

Question for you...how many have you witnessed?

John Ritter just dropped dead last night of a broken aorta (not Jorge!). He was 55.

It's easy to be "optimistic" and all smiley giggily poo when you're 25. Try being my age and not seeing one series that I can remember. I was 4 in 59'

Some of you say, well that shouldn't matter there are more important things in life. You're right but it matters to me and I'm the only SOB who's opinion counts when it matters in my life.

I never try to rain on anybody's parade. It's your right to think and act like you wish. I think history shows that the Sox warrent
ZERO reason for optimism. They have screwed up (I'd like to use a stronger word) for the past forty years, they screwed up yesterday and the odds are they'll screw up when the chips are down next year and the year after and so on.

Why do I keep passionately rooting for this dog of a franchise...because I KEEP HOPING that someday they WILL WIN.

Guess that's makes me an OPTIMIST!

But I reserve the right to go after them with every verbal attack I can muster when I think they suck. Just as I keep hoping they'll finally win, I will never stop bashing them when they lose.

After 43 years of rooting, THAT'S MY RIGHT. I've earned that courtesy.

Lip

Been a fan since 1979. Been a Chicagoan since 1968 (I was 5) and loosely followed the team in the 70's, but was more of a flubbie fan from 75-79.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to gripe when the Sox suck, but being tied for first on September 12th does not equal sucking.

Yes, I hope for and actually expect the Sox to make the WS in my lifetime. I am not some starry eyed dreamer of a flubbie fan who thinks every year is THE YEAR, but until the Sox are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs every year, I hold onto hope. Especially when they have had talent like they have had these past 4 years and even more so now with a GM who is willing to take gamble to put the team over the top.

Not every loss makes me scream "OhMiGawd! That is the end of the season!" and people who act like that are just being negative, IMO. In fact as I said earlier all the people who are convinced the Sox are done are just trying to lessen their own pain if it happens.

Grow some stones. Stay on the bandwagon. Root for the team to win it all. At least for the next two weeks. I mean, is it really necessary to give up with this little time left?

You sit and ache with the team through 5.5 months of up and down and tinkering and slumps and rough outings and bullpen meltdowns and then throw in the towel with two weeks to go and the team tied for first because of a harder schedule? *** is that all about?

RKMeibalane
09-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Just over two weeks remain in the regular season. I have only one request for the other members of this board: enjoy it. The Chicago White Sox are in a position to win their division and win back many of the fans they lost after the 1994 strike. As Sox fans, we should enjoy the fact that the team has been successful this season, in spite of the all the problems they've had.

We should enjoy the performance of players such as Esteban Loaiza, guys who weren't even guaranteed roster spots in the Spring, but have thrived and flourished on the South Side, playing for our Sox.

We should enjoy the resurgence of Frank Thomas, the greatest player in White Sox history. We should enjoy watching him round the bases after yet another big home run. We should enjoy it, and commit it to memory, because the possibility does exist that Frank may not be in Sox uniform much longer.

We should enjoy the contributions of players such as Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett. These men were accquired to help make the Sox better, and they have succeeded. Alomar has provided defense and base-running, while Everett has provided clutch-hits, RBI's, and protection for Frank and Maggs in the number five spot.

We should enjoy the excitment that players are feeling as they go about their jobs each day. As Frank said last month, it's fun to go to the ballpark every day when you know you're going to win.

But most of all, we should enjoy the fact that the White Sox have earned respect throughout Major League Baseball for their second-half turnaround. It's been awhile since people took this team seriously, and I'm glad to see that the Sox are being noticed again.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

longshot7
09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
So in your lifetime, the Sox have made the playoffs 3 times and had another post-season canceled. [COLOR=teal]Man, sucks to be you.

and how many pennants in that time?

gosox41
09-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Well, what do you want, a monument or a medal? Congratulations, you were aware that games in April mean just as much as games in September, way back in April. What does that have to do with the next two weeks?

I'll take the monument. :smile:

My point was if this team had figured things out earlie and didn't play such corpseball against bad teams, the next two weeks wouldn't matter as much as the Sox should have a 5 game lead.

Of course the reality is the Sox have to fight an uphill battle to win the division now.

Bob

TornLabrum
09-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'll take the monument. :smile:

My point was if this team had figured things out earlie and didn't play such corpseball against bad teams, the next two weeks wouldn't matter as much as the Sox should have a 5 game lead.

Of course the reality is the Sox have to fight an uphill battle to win the division now.

Bob

And that's precisely why so many of us were screaming our heads off back in April-July that Jerry Manuel was blowing the season. Imagine if he'd actually gotten a set lineup early and let the players get comfortable in roles that they knew.

Imagine if he'd had someone warming up for Colon against the Giants when Bonds hit that homer. (Hell, imagine if he'd had Colon walk Bonds!) Imagine if he hadn't pulled Garland out prematurely when he was pretty much coasting.

Those are just two games that I attended that could very well have given us a two-game cushion right now.

FtWayneSoxFan
09-14-2003, 02:20 AM
These feet are planted firmly on the bandwagon... always have been always will be.

Sox have a job to do and that's all there is to it!

Daver
09-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by FtWayneSoxFan
These feet are planted firmly on the bandwagon... always have been always will be.

Sox have a job to do and that's all there is to it!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck