PDA

View Full Version : Ups and Downs

hold2dibber
09-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Good lord, reading this board lately certainly does reflect the joys and horrors of being in an extremely tight penant race. The Sox win and every other post is "we've got 'em now." The Sox lose and every other post is "it's over, we suck" or "if we don't win at least 2 of the next 3, it's over". I know it's hard to remain rational and calm under the circumstances, but I think everyone out there would be best served by trying to stay on an even keel. Yes, they lost today and yes, the Twins are in a better position than the Sox right now. But baseball (particularly 2003 White Sox baseball) is incredibly unpredictable. The Sox have enough talent to win every series they have left, even against Boston and the Yankees - hell, they beat the Yankees 2 of 3 in NY a few weeks ago, so why can't they beat Boston in Boston or NY here? On the other hand, they could go into a horrific tail spin and finish .500. Who knows. That's the amazing thing about baseball - more so than in any other major sport, you just can't predict what's going to happen.

My point is, although I'm somewhat pessimistic about the Sox' chances, I'm not going to give up hope until someone else has clinched and I'm not going to celebrate until the Sox have clinched. Sixteen games to go, and we're dead even. Strap in and get ready for one hell of a ride, either way.

LASOXFAN
09-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Many on this site vent their anxiety through frustrated attacks. I even saw one post blaming this loss on Manuel for bringing in Paniagua on Tuesday night. Go figure.

But I'm with you. I want this team to show what it's made of. I want them to pull together and scrape and claw their way to the playoffs, showing that they have the balls to pull out the close games and come up with clutch hits with runners in scoring position.

I'm strapped in. Hit it! :gulp:

Gumshoe
09-11-2003, 09:28 PM
It'll be close. Strap it down is right, boys. Guys like Thomas have to come up big. Tomorrow's game is huge. It'll go down to the WIRE. See you there.

Gumshoe

ps-Do either of you have the tape of the dibber going around 2nd and getting picked?

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 09:40 PM
The issue and I say this in all seriousness is that because of the lack of success by this organization in the past __ years (fill in the blank depending on how old you are...) the fans have no baseline for comparison.

How can you have 'hope" when nothing has been accomplished?

I can't go back and say to myself, well in 1973 the Sox were tied with 16 games left and went 12-4 the rest of the way to win it...

or the 1983 Sox lost the first two games of the playoffs then roared back to sweep Baltimore and get to the World Series so by God, we can still do it.

I mean there's nothing there...nothing but bad memories and bizarre circumstances. from Donovan's appendicitis attack in 55, to the time out call in Baltimore in 60, to Cunningham's broken leg in 63, to the ultimate collapse the last week of 67, to Melton's back in 72, to Allen's broken leg in 73, to losing 15 of 19 when the Sox were a game out in August of 91, it just goes on and on.

Like Fox Mulder in "X Files" I want to believe but it's very hard when you have no real evidance to support the "hope" that things finally are going to break right for this organization.

You can say the "law of averages" but how do you explain the Sox not having been to a series since 1959? When so many other teams, including expansion teams, HAVE. Where are the law of averages there?

Not trying to rant, I just was trying to explain my position.

Lip

Gumshoe
09-11-2003, 11:11 PM
But what do all those things have to do with this year, THIS team?

NOTHING.

If they are good enough, they'll win it.

As for playoff speculation, it's pretty random, so no one can ever say for sure.

Gumshoe

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Gumshoe:

Because based on the "negativity bias" threads today I was pointing out that fans like myself (and obviously many others) HAVE NO FAITH in the Sox because we have NOTHING to base that faith on.

Just one or two titles in the last forty years would change my outlook to that of maybe thinking they can do it because THEY DID IT IN THE PAST.

But since they have NEVER done it in the past, why should I think or HOPE that they can do it now.

You say if they are good enough they'll win it and that's my point, the Sox never seem to be "good enough" do they?

Lip

hold2dibber
09-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Gumshoe:

Because based on the "negativity bias" threads today I was pointing out that fans like myself (and obviously many others) HAVE NO FAITH in the Sox because we have NOTHING to base that faith on.

Just one or two titles in the last forty years would change my outlook to that of maybe thinking they can do it because THEY DID IT IN THE PAST.

But since they have NEVER done it in the past, why should I think or HOPE that they can do it now.

You say if they are good enough they'll win it and that's my point, the Sox never seem to be "good enough" do they?

Lip

Lip:

Believe me, I know where you're coming from. I entirely understand why people overall don't have an optimistic view of what is going to happen - being a life long Sox fan certainly can't squash all of the optimism right out of you. I understand, to some extent, why people post such negative thoughts after a tough lose - it is excruciating and depressing when they lose at this point, because so much is at stake. I just find it kind of crazy how people can get SO optimistic after a few wins and SO pessimistic after a few losses.

Let me put it to you this way. Say the Sox had lost 2 of 3 in New York a few weeks back and had only won 2 of 3 against Cleveland last weekend. In that scenario, they would have come into this Twins series 2 games out. Then say they lost the first game to the Twins and fell 3 games out, only to win the next three games. If all that had happened, the Sox and the Twins would be in exactly the same spot they are in today - tied with 16 games to go. But I can promise you that all of the posts on the board yesterday would have been "now we've got a chance" and "I don't care about the schedule, this team is going to get it done", etc., etc., instead of the doom and gloom. It's all just a matter of perspective.