PDA

View Full Version : Will the White Sox be dismantled?

Win1ForMe
09-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Already thinking of next year I guess because the White Sox are doing their best to make me want to forget about the present.

Anyway, I was looking at our team and noticed that our combined sallary next Opening Day will probably be $7.5 mil. higher than it was this year.

This is only for players currently under contract and does not include FAs to be: Colon, Everett, Alomar, Gordon, Sullivan, and (most likely) Valentin.

Player raises for Ordonez, Thomas, Loaiza, Konerko, and Koch along with arbitration numbers for Buehrle (+ 6.0 mil) and Lee (from $4.2 mil to somewhere around $6.0 mil) total about an increase of $20 million. Colon & Valentin's contract numbers total about $13.25 million.

This just made me curious since I noticed in a very recent Gammons column that the Twins might have to sell off some of their good arbitration-eligible players. With the same team and a real manager (i.e. not Manuel) at the helm we could really cake-walk to win the division next year. But with J 'Dorf's insistence on the bottom line I don't see how we can possibly re-sign Colon, Alomar & Everett and also keep someone like Carlos Lee.

...In a perfect world, we could find a sucker to take Billy Koch off our hands.

voodoochile
09-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Already thinking of next year I guess because the White Sox are doing their best to make me want to forget about the present.

Anyway, I was looking at our team and noticed that our combined sallary next Opening Day will probably be $7.5 mil. higher than it was this year.

This is only for players currently under contract and does not include FAs to be: Colon, Everett, Alomar, Gordon, Sullivan, and (most likely) Valentin.

Player raises for Ordonez, Thomas, Loaiza, Konerko, and Koch along with arbitration numbers for Buehrle (+ 6.0 mil) and Lee (from $4.2 mil to somewhere around $6.0 mil) total about an increase of $20 million. Colon & Valentin's contract numbers total about $13.25 million.

This just made me curious since I noticed in a very recent Gammons column that the Twins might have to sell off some of their good arbitration-eligible players. With the same team and a real manager (i.e. not Manuel) at the helm we could really cake-walk to win the division next year. But with J 'Dorf's insistence on the bottom line I don't see how we can possibly re-sign Colon, Alomar & Everett and also keep someone like Carlos Lee.

...In a perfect world, we could find a sucker to take Billy Koch off our hands.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 08:07 PM
It's hard to "dismantle" a team that hasn't won anything but I understand where you are coming from.

Ken Williams can best answer your question with his published comments about how he hoped the team would win this year and go deep into the playoffs so that he wouldn't have to keep "trying to do it (win) on a 50 million dollar budget every year."

No playoffs...no additional revenue...no resigning free agents and possible trading away some arbitration eligible players.

That's life with an owner who claims he hasn't got the money to spend on a team in the nation's 3rd largest city.

Sorry...

Lip

34 Inch Stick
09-12-2003, 09:43 AM
I don't know about a cake walk. The Indians have played well in the second half and they obviously have some good young talent both in pitching and the field.

Looking at Kansas City's everyday lineup you will notice that it is preety strong. If some of those pitchers pan out, who knows.

We should be strong in pitching again next year with Buhrle, Loiza and Garland. I think we will sign a middle of the road pitcher and start someone from the group of Wright, Cotts, or Rauch.

Hangar18
09-12-2003, 10:23 AM
HEy....this could be our chance. Maybe the Twins will trade US all of their best players, and all we have to give up is an unheralded minor league 2B for the group of players..... OH wait....the Twins arent that dumb. then again, they let a hall of fame pitcher slip thru their un-wealthy fingers

THE_HOOTER
09-12-2003, 11:49 AM
One thing we can agree on:

If the Sox do not re-sign Alomar, Everitt, Colon, Sullivan, and Gordon we are not a playoff contender.

If we also get rid of one arbitration player like Lee, you can bet we will set records for bad attendance next year.

This is a big next two weeks for the fans and the Sox.

Dadawg_77
09-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

If the Sox do not re-sign Alomar, Everitt, Colon, Sullivan, and Gordon we are not a playoff contender.

If we also get rid of one arbitration player like Lee, you can bet we will set records for bad attendance next year.

Not quite, think about. The Sox let Colon go, he may not be worth as he is already on the downward slope of career. This saves resources which could be better allocated some where else. The Yankees drop Weaver, the Sox pick him up on the cheap, I think a good part of his struggles is playing in NYC. Everet isn't that great of a CF and could easily be replace, if the Sox want to bust a nut, go and get Beltran. Bullpen pitchers are expendable and can be effectively replaced. So Sullivan and Gordon are not major cogs in the Sox machine. Who knows keep Gordon and you may get last year's version.

I would keep Lee and try to unload Konerko. I like Pauly, but the Sox might be able to get replacements for cheaper price and that is hard to pass up esp for a team on a budget. But the hot stove is two months away, let us sit back and enjoy (that means WS WS) the rest of the season.

doublem23
09-12-2003, 12:41 PM
The Sox are still looking most fit to win the division in '04...

Kansas City? Yeah, they blow.
Minnesota? A handful of those little bastards have to walk for greener pastures, eventually, right?
Cleveland? Maybe if you remove all the opposing fielders and maybe if you remove all the foul lines and maybe if you eliminate strike outs and maybe if we place the ball on a tee for them... they'll hit .250 as a team. Maybe.
Detroit? I think they should play their AAA team a la Major League III.

Sox in '03! Sox in '04!

JohnJeter
09-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Kansas City? Yeah, they blow.
Minnesota? A handful of those little bastards have to walk for greener pastures, eventually, right?
Cleveland? Maybe if you remove all the opposing fielders and maybe if you remove all the foul lines and maybe if you eliminate strike outs and maybe if we place the ball on a tee for them... they'll hit .250 as a team. Maybe.
Detroit? I think they should play their AAA team a la Major League III.

Sox in '03! Sox in '04!

No no no, you've got it all wrong. Detroit and Cleveland are going to be vastly improved and will finish well ahead of the Twins next year. . .and they'll start showing it these next couple of weeks. Ahem.

thepaulbowski
09-12-2003, 01:41 PM
I think they should play their AAA team a la Major League III.

Call Detroit a triple AAA ballclub is insulting to other AAA ballclubs.

jabrch
09-12-2003, 01:55 PM
The core of Mags, Lee, Loaiza, Buehrle will stay. We will be stuck with Koch. I think if we can move Konerko we will - otherwise we keep him and probably lose Everett.

I'd hope that Kenny is given more leeway after the Chariman saw the results this year. It would be nice to have money to resign Colon and still go out after a SS like Tejada or Matsui. If we do lose Colon, there are still some other FA SPs available that we could pursue. Hawk still loves Ponson. I am not sure if he will stay in SF.

Making the playoffs would certainly help. Going deep in the playoffs would really help!

freddyvsjason
09-12-2003, 02:02 PM
They developed a decent bullpen & rotation this year, & pretty much just need some heavy lumber to contend next yr.

So I can see them buying.

The Twinks can't afford to keep that team together. But they seem to have done a good job at stocking young players so as long as they keep the better part of the rotation & give Santana 35 starts they will still be the team to beat.

As for the SOX the only thing that can be certain with KW at the helm is that they will take on a payroll between mid 50's & mid 60's. That's the limit.

doublem23
09-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Hawk still loves Ponson. I am not sure if he will stay in SF.

I would assume he's staying put. The Giants gave up an awful lot of talent to treat him as a 3-month Rent-A-Player.

gosox41
09-12-2003, 02:30 PM

Sox in '03! Sox in '04!

I've heard this before, just substitute in 2001, 2002, and probably 2003.

Bob

Win1ForMe
09-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I would assume he's staying put. The Giants gave up an awful lot of talent to treat him as a 3-month Rent-A-Player.

When SF made the deal for Ponson, I remember Gammons saying that they had no intention of re-signing him and it was done just to win in the playoffs this year. But he's been wrong before...

jabrch
09-12-2003, 02:59 PM

Ponson has looked very uncomfortable when he has had to go to the plate. I got a feeling he would happily come back to the AL if the right situation was there. We could be that situation...chance to win, chance to not have to hit, a solid offense behind you.

And he'd be cheaper than Colon..might leave us money for Tejada/Matsui if we can move Manos somewhere?

Win1ForMe
09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I don't know about a cake walk. The Indians have played well in the second half and they obviously have some good young talent both in pitching and the field.

Looking at Kansas City's everyday lineup you will notice that it is preety strong. If some of those pitchers pan out, who knows.

We should be strong in pitching again next year with Buhrle, Loiza and Garland. I think we will sign a middle of the road pitcher and start someone from the group of Wright, Cotts, or Rauch.

Cleveland does scare me and I could see them giving the White Sox fits but I still think they're at least a year away.

Kansas City does have a good lineup but if they keep Beltran, they'll have tied up $22 mil in two players (with Sweeney) on a $40 million payroll. They're probably going to lose Brian Anderson, Al Levine, Raul Ibanez, and Curtis Leskanic in free agency. I also believe Runelvys Hernandez will be out until at least midway through next season. I just don't see where they would have pitching to compete.

As far as the Twins, they'll more than likely lose all their FA guys like Stewart, Guardado, and Hawkins. Really, the bullpen is their biggest weapon so they might be in some trouble.

FarmerAndy
09-12-2003, 03:52 PM
we could really cake-walk to win the division next year.

The American League Central was as big of a cake-walk as you could get THIS year and we couldn't get it done.

I remain optimistic that we can win a division title going into each season, but this team isn't going to "cake-walk" to anything, ever.

doublem23
09-13-2003, 01:51 AM
When SF made the deal for Ponson, I remember Gammons saying that they had no intention of re-signing him and it was done just to win in the playoffs this year. But he's been wrong before...

:boston
My reports say he's coming to the Red Sox along with Bartolo Colon and Livan Hernandez. And after a series of moves, the Sox will test the baseball norm by going with a bullpen by committee of Ugeth Urbina, Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, John Smoltz, and Mariano Rivera (I hear he's very unhappy in New York, but can you blame him?) And Bill Mueller will challenge Nap Lajoie's post-1900 season batting record of .427 in 1901.

doublem23
09-13-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
No no no, you've got it all wrong. Detroit and Cleveland are going to be vastly improved and will finish well ahead of the Twins next year. . .and they'll start showing it these next couple of weeks. Ahem.

2-0 combined so far.

Whoo Mike Maroth! :D:

Lip Man 1
09-13-2003, 12:26 PM
This was in Saturday's Chicago Tribune under Teddy Greenstein's by line:

"General manager Ken Williams is planning for next season.

He told the Tribune on Friday that he has approached several pending free agents about re-signing.

"I have tested the waters," he said. "But it's a very delicate situation because I don't want to take away people's concentration.

"There's a sense of timing with all of them. If [the extensions] cannot be worked out quickly, then I'm not going to risk what we're trying to accomplish this season."

Williams spoke with closer Tom Gordon recently. Sources said the two talked about one- or two-year extensions that would be worth about $2.5 million per season.

Williams also wants to re-sign Roberto Alomar and explore whether it's feasible to keep Bartolo Colon on the South Side.

"I like every component of this team," Williams said. "Whether we have the resources and support to meet that payroll, that's another thing."

Which goes back to my original reply to the question that was asked to start the thread. No playoffs, no additional home games, no added revenue, no signing of many of these free agents.

Unless of course the owner changes his mind on Chicago being a "small market" franchise.

Not much riding on the next two weeks eh?????

Lip

ChiSox21
09-13-2003, 02:09 PM
so who are the free agents to be on this team right now. Who do we have locked up? Can someone help me out here.

MRKARNO
09-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Considering that Boston and the yanks would have no interest in him, what is the chance that if Bartolo leaves that we would get Miguel Tejada?

And also, it sounds like Everett's certainly gone. I wouldnt mind having rowand and/or reed in center if we cant get an FA or bring Kenny Lofton back.

jabrch
09-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Considering that Boston and the yanks would have no interest in him, what is the chance that if Bartolo leaves that we would get Miguel Tejada?

And also, it sounds like Everett's certainly gone. I wouldnt mind having rowand and/or reed in center if we cant get an FA or bring Kenny Lofton back.

Tejada - Yes, we are an option - on the short list - but I think he ends up staying in California. We are on a longer list (more outside shot) at Matsui - the Japanese SS who is coming next year.

Everett - We have a shot, but I think he will want bigtime money and find a crap franchise to pay him.

Lofton - He already resigned with the Cubs to be a backup OF for next year.

Win1ForMe
09-13-2003, 09:39 PM

I don't see a reason as to why we should give big money to Tejada. He's very similar to our other right handed hitters in that he grounds into a ton of double plays (he had 21 last year). His OPS and Slugging numbers are nothing special (even from his MVP year) but he does provide power from a generally weak hitting position. As a hitter, he's very comparable to Carlos, I think.

If we sign him, our lineup will be very much right-handed. Jose and Carl are the only supply of lefty power on our team. I'd rather just go after a good fielding SS who can handle the bat (bunts, moves runners, etc.), but re-signing Jose at a cheaper price wouldn't be a bad move. I don't think he'll get that many good offers on the market and he's probably more valuable to us than a lot of other teams.

Unless we get into a bidding war with the Yankees or Mets, the big money should go to Colon.

Win1ForMe
09-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
so who are the free agents to be on this team right now. Who do we have locked up? Can someone help me out here.

Our FAs: Colon, Everett, Roberto, Sandy (I think), and Gordon.

We also have players who have options which are unlikely to be picked up: Jose and Sullivan.

MRKARNO
09-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Our FAs: Colon, Everett, Roberto, Sandy (I think), and Gordon.

We also have players who have options which are unlikely to be picked up: Jose and Sullivan.

Colon: Stretch! KW's gonna try his damndest to keep him

Everett: He Gone! No chance we're not paying him 6 mil or whatever

Roberto: If he'll resign at a reasonable rate he'll be back

Sandy: He'll have to resign at a minimum if he doesnt retire or else Mike Rivera will take his spot.

Gordon: I think KW will resign him, but it will take about 2.5 mil a year

Who are we gonna get to replace jose???? and why did we get rid of a good prospect in tim hummel for 2 months of sullivan??

Daver
09-13-2003, 09:53 PM

Who are we gonna get to replace jose???? and why did we get rid of a good prospect in tim hummel for 2 months of sullivan??

Because Tim Hummel can't play shortstop.

MRKARNO
09-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Because Tim Hummel can't play shortstop.

Wasnt he worth more than 2 months from a reliever though?

Jjav829
09-13-2003, 09:56 PM

No, not if that reliever can help solidify your bullpen for your World Series run.

voodoochile
09-13-2003, 09:57 PM

If Valentin's option doesn't kick in or get picked up, then I expect Graffanino will be the starting SS next year with Miles becoming the utility IF.

However to answer your question about Sullivan. Because it is a playoff run and the Sox needed a RHRP who can actually pitch. He is already signed for next year too, IIRC.

You really want to see Koch coming out of the pen in the 7th when the Sox need a RH pitcher to keep the other team right where they are?

MRKARNO
09-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

You really want to see Koch coming out of the pen in the 7th when the Sox need a RH pitcher to keep the other team right where they are?

No, but if we aren't planning on picking up his option I think it wasnt great

voodoochile
09-13-2003, 10:21 PM
No, but if we aren't planning on picking up his option I think it wasnt great

I'll worry about next year next year. For all we know, the Sox will sign Tejada and Hummel would never make the team...

Lip Man 1
09-14-2003, 01:49 AM
Remember Ordonez's contract kicks up to 14 million next season and Lee is arbitration eligible...so is Buehrle.

I saw some rough numbers the past few days in one of the papers that said Lee could sign an extension at two years around 15 million total.

Bottom line though is that to keep all these guys the Sox payroll will have to go up to about 65 million a year.

The highest team payroll the Sox have ever had under Uncle Jerry is 57 million in 1997 and Uncle Jerry scuttled that eight months afterwards when he White Flagged it.

Lip

39thandWallace
09-14-2003, 02:31 AM
I say trade Buehrle he doesn't want to be here get something for him while you can.
Sign Colon and Roberto Alomar to long deals otherwise sell the team because without these 2 guys we don't have a chance.

gosox41
09-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Remember Ordonez's contract kicks up to 14 million next season and Lee is arbitration eligible...so is Buehrle.

I saw some rough numbers the past few days in one of the papers that said Lee could sign an extension at two years around 15 million total.

Bottom line though is that to keep all these guys the Sox payroll will have to go up to about 65 million a year.

The highest team payroll the Sox have ever had under Uncle Jerry is 57 million in 1997 and Uncle Jerry scuttled that eight months afterwards when he White Flagged it.

Lip

I thought the 2001 team had a $64 mill. payroll.

Bob

hose
09-14-2003, 07:52 AM

Lip

Maggs going to 14 million could be a problem.

The Sox are a low budget team and to sink that much money in one player is going to have a ripple effect on the ability to keep their free agents. I don't think any Sox fan anticipates Carl Everett on the team next year, but Alomar, Colon, and Valentin would be nice to see next year on the south side.

This is where our glorious leader steps up to the plate and comes through.

:reinsy

"who me ?"

Tragg
09-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

All of those guys are aging and all, except sullivan and colon, are past their prime. Alomar and Everett and probably Gordon as well will probably decline in production. Point being, it's a gamble to count on them - yet, they must be replaced. We'll have a challenge maintaining the strength of this team (however strong it is).

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2003, 08:56 AM

Lip

This winter will be very interesting. Williams has been saying all the right things to the media about rebuilding the fanbase, ignoring the Cubs, doing our own thing. yadda yadda yadda... If he has REAL authority, the Sox won't dump payroll. In fact, I would expect them to increase payroll. It wouldn't be anywhere near the level of the Yankees' or any of the other top-payroll clubs, but at least the highest payroll in our division. For the first time, I actually believe him.

Of course if the Sox make the playoffs and the Sox dump payroll anyway (or leave payroll at its current pathetic level), then everything Williams said was just a bunch of window dressing. If that happened I can't imagine who else is to blame.

:reinsy
<whistling nervously>

:ohno
"Don't be silly, PHG. You know who is to blame. It's the FANS!"

jabrch
09-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I say trade Buehrle he doesn't want to be here get something for him while you can.
Sign Colon and Roberto Alomar to long deals otherwise sell the team because without these 2 guys we don't have a chance.

I just don't know what we'd be able to get for him. Lets be realistic - his had a pretty average season this year. Sure his second half was great, but how much will someone give for him? Anyhow, he did already say he'd like to go to STL - no other team is going to give up anything for him and STL knows that in two years they have the inside track at him.

I dont know...I say keep it together, add a piece or two and make one more run at it with this group of players.

jabrch
09-14-2003, 09:11 AM

I'll never think of Tim Hummell...even if we dont - that was still a good deal for us. Sullivan is much better than out options and Hummell doesn't look like he will ever be an MLB starter.

hose
09-14-2003, 09:24 AM
I just don't know what we'd be able to get for him. Lets be realistic - his had a pretty average season this year. Sure his second half was great, but how much will someone give for him? Anyhow, he did already say he'd like to go to STL - no other team is going to give up anything for him and STL knows that in two years they have the inside track at him.

I dont know...I say keep it together, add a piece or two and make one more run at it with this group of players.

Buehrle is probably one of the most desired pitchers out there.

Young, left handed, successful, two years left on his contract and CHEAP

I completely disagree with you that no team would want to trade for him because in two years they know he will sign with St. Louis.

jabrch
09-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by hose
Buehrle is probably one of the most desired pitchers out there.

Young, left handed, successful, two years left on his contract and CHEAP

I completely disagree with you that no team would want to trade for him because in two years they know he will sign with St. Louis.

Hose, I never said that no team would want to trade for him...

I said, "I don't know what we'd get for him"

I know everyone would want him, but I wouldn't be willing to give him up for a bag of baseballs and a fungo bat. I'd want two major league ready pitching prospects and a legitimate major league ready IF, at least. And I don't know who would be willing to pay that much for him.

Of course everyone would want Buehrle. I just don't know that he is tradeable.

longwood
09-14-2003, 10:08 AM
I noticed that no ones mentioned Frank in this thread. Do you think that Frank will elect to stay or will he exercise his option to go free agent?

hose
09-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Hose, I never said that no team would want to trade for him...

I said, "I don't know what we'd get for him"

I know everyone would want him, but I wouldn't be willing to give him up for a bag of baseballs and a fungo bat. I'd want two major league ready pitching prospects and a legitimate major league ready IF, at least. And I don't know who would be willing to pay that much for him.

Of course everyone would want Buehrle. I just don't know that he is tradeable.

The reasons I stated in my other post is why I think Buehrle's value is very high and would merit an excellent return if traded.

TornLabrum
09-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by longwood
I noticed that no ones mentioned Frank in this thread. Do you think that Frank will elect to stay or will he exercise his option to go free agent?

I think Frank will not exercise his option, and the Sox will not exercise theirs. I hope I'm wrong.

voodoochile
09-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I think Frank will not exercise his option, and the Sox will not exercise theirs. I hope I'm wrong.

I think Frank will take his because if the stories about his monetary problems were correct (loan for $1M was part of last contract) then he will want to gain some stability before he takes a chance.

39thandWallace
09-14-2003, 01:27 PM
I think Frank will finish his career here.

Paulwny
09-14-2003, 02:19 PM
I really believe that the cubs having a competative team is good for us. In order not to lose what sox fan base remains JR will open his wallet and keep the team competative.
Going to a rebuilding plan with young unproven players and finishing near the bottom of the div for the next few years would spell disaster for this organization in Chi if the cubs continue to fight for their div.