PDA

View Full Version : the series that never happened

Hokiesox
09-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, we're right back where we started Sox fans! a series split rendered the series moot. Now we have a football season of games left. Whoever wins the most games in 16, wins the division. What is everyone so gloomy about? yeah, we're not up 4 games, we're not up 1 game, we're tied.

We didn't lose ground, we didn't gain any. It's a wash, as I see it. I'm sick of schedule stuff. The twins got thrashed by the yankees earlier this season, we can show them we're better than them by thrashing the yankees and taking 4 of 6 on the year. Boston and the Sox are pretty close, so I give that one a wash.

The most important thing for the sox to do is win. The rest will take care of itself. But, just win, darnit.

I know this post will be flamed, and will probably get the picture of the dorky looking guy with floppy hair, but, whatever, the sox are in the same place they were 4 days ago. No worries here.

Jurr
09-11-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm glad to see the hope. It's just going to be a hard thing to do. Keeping pace with a team that's playing cupcakes is going to be a stretch. I'm with you, though....stranger things have happened.

doublem23
09-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I think we're still in the money. And we get 7 games against the Royals (and they suck). So we're all good.

Go Sox.

Hokiesox
09-11-2003, 04:58 PM
weirder things have happened! The cubs blew a 10 game lead with 11 to play in 69? Someone help me...but weird stuff happens. THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT? The tigers won't play spoliers? I want you to patent the device that allows you to know that. you could make a lot of money. even the little teams get up for big games.

different sport, but the 2-7 orangemen from syracuse beat my 8-0 hokies last year. it happens. let the 16 games play themselves out!

If they're five back with 4 to play, I'll give up.

FJA
09-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I'm sick of schedule stuff. The twins got thrashed by the yankees earlier this season, we can show them we're better than them by thrashing the yankees and taking 4 of 6 on the year. Boston and the Sox are pretty close, so I give that one a wash.

I like the positive thinking, and I think we're still in this, but we can't ignore the schedule all together. For instance, if we take two of three from the Yankees, and the Twins win their two games against Cleveland in the Metrodome (their best chance, IMO, to beat Cleveland), we still LOSE half a game. We basically can't lose against KC with Minnesota playing the Tigers. You cannot deny that the schedule is against us. Anything less than two of three in Minnesota is unacceptable, and anything less than two of three in Boston or against the Yankees is going to make it really, really tough on us. KC needs to be swept. Both times.

To win this division, it goes without saying we'll have to win every series. But to have to sweep at least two series ... that's going to be tough.

OEO Magglio
09-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Say what you wish, but the fact is this is easily a series win for the Twins, they came into the cell and split with us, and because of the competition they have left we are now forced to take atleast 2 out of 3 from the in the twinkie dome which is going to be very hard to do, yes we're still tied for first place, but the twins did what they had to, and the sox didn't.

FJA
09-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
The tigers won't play spoliers? I want you to patent the device that allows you to know that. you could make a lot of money. even the little teams get up for big games.

I hope you're right, but the Twins are 11-1 against the Tigers this year. You have to go by the numbers on that one.

Hokiesox
09-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I hope you're right, but the Twins are 11-1 against the Tigers this year. You have to go by the numbers on that one.

So, if you go by numbers, the Giants wouldn't have won the pennant, the Cubs wouldn't have lost in 1969, the US Hockey team would have never existed in 1980, MJ would have played for the Nets, or Houston, or whoever, The bears would have won 4 superbowls, the GOP wouldn't have won in 1994, and Bush wouldn't be our current president.

Numbers are for people with way to much time on their hands. Upsets happen. mark it down. They happen.

We've still been in first place longer. Until they're not, the Sox still control their own fate.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Considering the Sox won the first two games of this series this is very, very bad.

Having to count on the Indians and Tigers to do your work for you is really stretching the optimistic meter to extremes.

We'll see how the last 16 games play out.

Lip

Mammoo
09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
The Sox had the Twins down but let them back up; BIG MISTAKE!!! Even if the Sox finish strong which they won't, the Twind can run the table.

I was counting on a sweep in Chicago to take the wind out of their sails. Didn't happen. This weekend in Boston going to be ugly :(: