PDA

View Full Version : to all those that bash negative posts, take off the blinders and WAKE UP!

captain54
09-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Thank God for all the negative posts and feature articles on WSI...Its my only dose of reality on this site....

Thank you, Jerry Manuel, for turning the momentum of the series and the pennant race around and letting the Twins resurrect themselves with a 4 run comeback in game 2....

oh wait, everything is fine....right?? we're in first place, right?

mandmandm
09-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Right, and right.

Dadawg_77
09-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by captain54
Thank God for all the negative posts and feature articles on WSI...Its my only dose of reality on this site....

Thank you, Jerry Manuel, for turning the momentum of the series and the pennant race around and letting the Twins resurrect themselves with a 4 run comeback in game 2....

hey the ninth inning of the Tues game, shouldn't have a major effect on this series. The Twins hit a pitcher who was released the next day. Plus the Twins rallied and gave it all they had only to end up short, if any thing I think that should have given the Sox the momentum.

thepaulbowski
09-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Right, and right.

wait a minute....are you positive or negative? :D:

Bobby Thigpen
09-11-2003, 03:15 PM
The point of the bashing of negativity is not necessarily that I think that all is happy in Soxland. I will agree with you that in retrospect letting the Twins back into game 2 will probably come back and bite the Sox in the butts. I had hoped when it happened that that wouldn't be the case. Right now it looks as if it will be.

My problem, and I think what Nellie was trying to say as well, is with the people that find every insignificant detail to bring up and then point out that it is the end of the Sox' world. If you were to look at this site on an almost daily basis it seems as if the Sox are in last place instead of in first. Does there need to be discussion of what's going on on the field? Yes, but not everything that happens is sign of something bad that has yet to happen. To be quite honest I didn't really expect too much from this team from the beginning so to be where they are now is pretty refreshing for me.

mandmandm
09-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Positive.

Everything is fine in my book. Sox are in first regardless what happens today. To all those who thought the Sox could take 3-4 and sit Loiaza, Colon, and Burhle until the first round, I would like some of the crack you are smoking. After how bad the Sox have played in the first half, I am excited that they are in the race. I would rather use my energy to cheer the Sox on and realize the race will not be determined by days end. I will leave the JM bitching and corpse ball to the rest of the legion of posters who dwell on the negative. Enjoy the ride, it could be over in two weeks, or it could lead to much bigger and better things come October.

FarWestChicago
09-11-2003, 03:23 PM

oh wait, everything is fine....right?? we're in first place, right? :prozac

MarqSox
09-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Forgive Nellie for not wanting to come to WSI every day and become depressed.

Does being a hardcore fan mean never enjoying White Sox baseball? Because it really seems like a lot of people here believe that. Seems to me, if you love the Sox and you love baseball, it shouldn't be a sin to enjoy it now and then.

Dadawg_77
09-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Forgive Nellie for not wanting to come to WSI every day and become depressed.

Does being a hardcore fan mean never enjoying White Sox baseball? Because it really seems like a lot of people here believe that. Seems to me, if you love the Sox and you love baseball, it shouldn't be a sin to enjoy it now and then.

Enjoy when they win but are depressed about it when they lose, I guess that why I am a fanatic.

Bobby Thigpen
09-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Seems to me, if you love the Sox and you love baseball, it shouldn't be a sin to enjoy it now and then.

Exactly. It has me exited to be able to follow baseball that means something in September. Usually by now my thoughts have turned to high school football and the Bears. There have been very few times in my lifetime that Sox baseball in this month has mattered. I'm happy that it does this year.

LuvSox
09-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Exactly. It has me exited to be able to follow baseball that means something in September. Usually by now my thoughts have turned to high school football and the Bears. There have been very few times in my lifetime that Sox baseball in this month has mattered. I'm happy that it does this year.

This is crunch time. They need to read positive press. They need to hear the crowd go ape ****. Let's get behind our team now, maybe they'll win :o:

Chisox_cali
09-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnah!

Iwritecode
09-11-2003, 04:21 PM

Well, we are still in first place. That's more than a lot of teams can say.

Second, it's these exact kind of posts that Nellie was referring to. How exactly is it JM's fault that the Sox couldn't score more than 2 runs the past 2 games? How is it his fault that Loazia let the Twins put up a 4-spot in one inning?

I hate to break it to you but those 4 ninth inning runs didn't mean anything to either team. The Twins play like that all the time. They don't quit until the final out. They would have played yesterday and today the exact same way with or without those runs...

FarWestChicago
09-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I hate to break it to you but those 4 ninth inning runs didn't mean anything to either team. The Twins play like that all the time. They don't quit until the final out. They would have played yesterday and today the exact same way with or without those runs... From what I have seen the last couple years, you are absolutely correct. Sigh...

jeremyb1
09-11-2003, 04:29 PM

Well you've certainly reinforced the two main parts of the WSI creed:

1) The sky is falling.

2) It is entirely Jerry Manuel's fault.

FarWestChicago
09-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Well you've certainly reinforced the two main parts of the WSI creed:

1) The sky is falling.

2) It is entirely Jerry Manuel's fault. Jeremy, not all of us are members of the depressoid squad...

MarqSox
09-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Jeremy, not all of us are members of the depressoid squad...
No, but unfortunately, we're largely outnumbered and it's only getting worse by the day. :(:

doublem23
09-11-2003, 04:34 PM
No, but unfortunately, we're largely outnumbered and it's only getting worse by the day. :(:

Pfft! The Twins are done. Mark it down (Hey, I was right about the Royals, why not make it two in a row?)

:)

captain54
09-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Seems to me, if you love the Sox and you love baseball, it shouldn't be a sin to enjoy it now and then.

Seems to me, if you love the Sox and you love baseball, it shouldn't be a sin to be frustrated beyond belief and pissed off, and be able to express it, instead of lulling myself into believing that everything is fine........

Since the second half of 2000 until now, the Sox have played mediocre baseball....including going three and out in the playoffs..

2001, 2002.....two full years of mediocre baseball....

2003....despite having hitters near the top of major offensive categories, a pitcher who is a CY Young candidate, and playing in a division that is ripe for the taking, the Sox continue to spin their wheels....

and Jerry Manuel still has a job and continues to sabotage every chance we have to go for the jugular when we show signs of dominance.....

forgive me for being passionate....

Jurr
09-11-2003, 04:46 PM
By saying that you believe the Paniagua situation had anything to do with the ending of this series states one thing....you have never put on a jock strap of any sort in your life.
If you think that giving up a couple of runs in a game had any bearing on the approach of hitters the next two days on our side, you're a complete imbecile, and it makes it pretty evident you have never played the sport on any level.
The fact of the matter is this: Radke and Santana have been pitching their butts off lately. They changed speeds, got their curves over, and kept our hitters off balance. PERIOD.
Football is a game of emotion for the most part. If you are a little more jacked up, you may run a little harder and overcome fatigue to make plays. Baseball is no such sport.
Do you think the hitters said, "Jerry put Paniagua in the game and gave up runs, so we're not going to battle at the plate"????
I mean, seriously????????????????
NOOOOO!!! These guys wanted to beat Minnesota and put up the effort to beat them. Radke and Santana made plays. Are you saying that every time Esteban Loaiza dominated a team was because the other team just didn't care or wasn't intense??? NOOOO...Esteban is a good pitcher, and when a good pitcher makes pitches, a hitter won't get to him. Just listen to yourselves!
Yes, I will say that winning makes things fun and makes you relax, making it easier to do your job. When you can just clear your mind, watch the ball and hit it, good things happen. Jose Paniagua getting knocked around did not do a thing to hurt that situation. They got beat the last two games because Radke and Santana were on.
If you believe that Jerry Manuel's decision in game 2 affected anything, you obviously never played an inning of baseball.

MarqSox
09-11-2003, 04:49 PM

2003....despite having hitters near the top of major offensive categories, a pitcher who is a CY Young candidate, and playing in a division that is ripe for the taking, the Sox continue to spin their wheels....

and Jerry Manuel still has a job and continues to sabotage every chance we have to go for the jugular when we show signs of dominance.....

2003 ... despite having hitters near the top of major offensive categories, a pitcher who is a Cy Young candidate being in first place for about a month, we STILL have 80% of the message board taken up by posts talking about how much we suck.

and you still manage to criticize Manuel no matter what he does.

forgive me for being passionate....
Dude, nobody's asking you to be dispassionate. But you can be passionate and not act like every loss means the season is over, or that every move that backfires proves that Manuel is the worst manager ever.

captain54
09-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
By saying that you believe the Paniagua situation had anything to do with the ending of this series states one thing....you have never put on a jock strap of any sort in your life.
If you think that giving up a couple of runs in a game had any bearing on the approach of hitters the next two days on our side, you're a complete imbecile, and it makes it pretty evident you have never played the sport on any level.

I have coached and played sports....high school baseball and football....

FarmerAndy
09-11-2003, 04:53 PM
How about we stop arguing about positive and negative and just look at reality.

After building a 2 game lead, we fell right back down in typical '03 Sox fashion. Now the Twins are on even ground with us, and the momentum is going their way now.

I have no problem with people being positive, but it seems that alot of people think that this division is ours. It's not. It's the Twins division to lose now.

We still have a shot at this thing, but people have to remember that the season is almost over. Every game is absolutely crucial. WE HAVE TO WIN. Every game we lose could be the last nail in our coffin, so it's not unreasonable to expect some negative attitudes around here when we drop a games.

This is not comparable to people crying "the sky is falling!" in May. It's MID-SEPTEMBER! Right now the sky really does fall with every loss.

We need to win almost every game from here on out, or we will not be in the playoffs.

Jurr
09-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Oh, I believe Minnesota has this thing by the nuts now.
It's going to be the Houdini show for this team to win the AL Central now. Beating Boston and New York while hoping the Detroit Tigers turn into the '27 Yanks and whip Minnesota sound like a futile task. Stranger things have happened, but it probably won't.
The Sox needed some semblance of a lead going into the rest of this schedule, and they fell flat. It was NOT due, however, to the act of putting Paniagua in the game. That's bunk. How could anyone worth their salt say that letting a team get close to winning the night before is going to affect the way a batter approaches an at bat the next two days??? If you look, our pitching was not that bad the last two days. Garland pitched well and Este was fair. It was the hitting that hurt us, due to the fact that (despite what you may think) Radke and Santana were on.
The world does not revolve around how the White Sox athletes play all the time. Sometimes a player on the other side(such as a pitcher) has a great day and can impose his will on the other side. It's one of those things.

maurice
09-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Insults and hyperbole aside, the result of the series was not due to JM. However, the Paniagua fiasco was, almost by definition, the turning point in the series. The Sox were rolling up to that point and sucked afterwards. (Santana was great, but he has not been hot lately, as was suggested; he got shelled in his last outing.)

This season, several Sox players have acknowledged that emotion is a huge part of their game. The concept of momentum is one way of explaining the impact of emotion on sports, including baseball. Momentum was about even coming into this series, with both teams playing well and tied for first. It shifted in favor of the Sox for the greater part of the first two games. Now the tide has turned. (I wonder about the extent to which the Newman situation contributed to this shift.)

In any event, it's bygones now. Time to look ahead to the remainder of the schedule for our First Place Chicago White Sox.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Bobby Thiggy says: "My problem, and I think what Nellie was trying to say as well, is with the people that find every insignificant detail to bring up and then point out that it is the end of the Sox' world. If you were to look at this site on an almost daily basis it seems as if the Sox are in last place instead of in first.

I'm not defending or attacking just making a point. If the Sox had actually won anything of substance in say the past twenty years the attitudes of fans probably would be different.

Without a track record of real success (and I don't just mean a winning season or making the first round of the playoffs) it's very hard to hope for the best when you have nothing to base it on.

I agree this is now Minnesota's division to lose. The past two days showed they wanted it more. How else can you explain two errors, no runs after the first again until 2 out on the 9th and a 19 game winner not looking that sharp, for the second game in a row.

Lip

jeremyb1
09-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Seems to me, if you love the Sox and you love baseball, it shouldn't be a sin to be frustrated beyond belief and pissed off, and be able to express it, instead of lulling myself into believing that everything is fine........

Don't mistake my lack of pecimism for complacency or enthusiasm for what happened the past two games. If you ask me we're in a whole lot of trouble now after losing the last two games. It'll be hard for us to win the division considering we're still tied and the Twin's schedule is incredibly easier than ours down the stretch. However, while I'm upset the team didn't meet the high expectations coming into the season, they've played great baseball for the most part in the second half. How long are we supposed to continue to pout about the first half? Our team has a chance to make the playoffs which is a great accomplishment despite a slow start that had many of us thinking the season was over. What if we do make the playoffs by the hair of our chin and then lose in the first round? You will have enjoyed about two days of the entire season. We have to enjoy it now because competing for the playoffs down the stretch is exhilerating and there may not be anything else to enjoy this season.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Jeremy askes: "How long are we supposed to continue to pout about the first half?

Constantly...since it's going to cost the "so called," most talented team in the division the championship.

Lip

voodoochile
09-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy askes: "How long are we supposed to continue to pout about the first half?

Constantly...since it's going to cost the "so called," most talented team in the division the championship.

Lip

Here's hoping you are as bad a prognosticator as I am...

jeremyb1
09-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

But the point is its over. I'm not still whining about the last couple seasons. You can't change anything now. Why not just accept it and focus on what comes? Whining won't change a thing at this point. What's done is done. Its in the past.

Gumshoe
09-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Jeremy i got your back ...

Forget about it. The sun will shine on JM and KW's arses but they both should still be canned.

SoxOnTop by 2 when all is said and done.

Big game vs. Boston tomorrow

Gumshoe

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Jeremy says: "Its in the past.

The problem is Jeremy that unfotunately when you don't correct the problem(s) they continue to affect the club NOW and in the future.

The bad first half showing has affected, is affecting and will continue to affect this team over the next 16 games, just like some of the managerial decisions have, are and will continue to do the same thing.

"It's in the past," when the issues causing the problems are corrected. Unfortunately the Sox front office, field manager and players don't seem to learn from their mistakes do they?

But perhaps that will change in the day after the season ends for the Sox, which will be in 17 days.

Lip

duke of dorwood
09-11-2003, 10:17 PM
The difference will be our record against Detroit vs their record against them, plain and simple. We can still do this, we are not facing the Red Sox best pitchers and have to win 3 in Minnesota next week. Can we send Manual out on an errand for the next 6 games?

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Duker:

You might be correct but as bad as the Sox hitters have looked the last two days the LAST thing they need is a Tim Wakefield knuckleball and Danny Wright on the mound.

Lip