PDA

View Full Version : Al Newman

CHISOXFAN13
09-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Not sure if this has been posted, but Twins third base coach Al Newman was rushed to the hospital last night with a possible brain anuerysm.

While I hate the Twins more than anything, I hope he comes through this ok.

I wonder what kind of effect this will have on the Twins.

34 Inch Stick
09-11-2003, 10:15 AM
He seems like a good guy and I wish him the best. I liked him as a player and he was good to kids in the crowd even at away games as a coach.

jabrch
09-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He seems like a good guy and I wish him the best. I liked him as a player and he was good to kids in the crowd even at away games as a coach.

I may not like your team much, but I sure hope you come through ok.

moochpuppy
09-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Here's the story and a couple other Twin notes:

Twins notes: Third base coach Newman rushed to hospital
La Velle E. Neal III, Star Tribune

Published September 11, 2003 TNOT0911

CHICAGO -- Twins third base coach Al Newman was rushed to a hospital during Wednesday night's game against the White Sox after suffering an aneurysm.

Newman, 43, underwent a CAT scan at Rush Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center that diagnosed the condition, and spent the night undergoing more tests.

The White Sox's medical staff acted quickly to keep Newman out of danger. Twins trainer Jim Kahmann said that White Sox team physician Bernard Feldman had Newman sent to the city's top neurological center.

"Because of the diligence of the White Sox staff, we were able to catch this very early," Kahmann said. "The White Sox were exceptional."

Newman appeared to feel fine as he chatted with media, players and coaches before Wednesday's game, but began feeling pain when he stretched his neck.

"Right before the game, he came down with some serious headaches," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "It got a little nerve-racking around here."

Kahmann said Newman complained of having the worst headache he's ever had, which sent up a red flag. While Scott Ullger filled in as the third base coach, doctors attended to Newman.

Gardenhire politely asked the media to leave the clubhouse for a few minutes after the game so he could inform players of Newman's condition.

"Our thoughts are all with Al," Gardenhire said, "as they should be."

Dustan dust-up

It's not a real Twins-White Sox series without some controversy, and Dustan Mohr added a little more heat to this series with comments about Chicago's home run celebrations.

Mohr told the Associated Press following Tuesday's 8-6 loss that he was tired of watching White Sox hitters standing at the plate and admiring their home runs.

When asked about his comments a day later, Mohr would not back down.

"I don't care," Mohr said. "I wasn't trying to disrespect anyone. I just said I was tired of seeing them stand in the batter's box, watching their home runs. No disrespect, but there's no need to show anyone up. We don't do that to them."

White Sox players weren't pleased.

"Last year, they win and we don't say anything," outfielder Magglio Ordonez said. "Now we win and they're offended?"

Even if the White Sox were proud of their home runs Tuesday, some Twins didn't care.

"I was more upset about the balls going over the fence," center fielder Torii Hunter said.

Milton on Sunday?

Righthander Joe Mays will be placed on the 60-day disabled list, which will create roster spot for lefthander Eric Milton, who has recovered from March knee surgery.

Now there might be a spot in the rotation for Milton to slide into, too.

Gardenhire said Milton is strongly being considered to start Sunday in Cleveland. Righthander Rick Reed and lefthander Carlos Pulido are in the running, too, but Milton appears ahead.

Pawlenty visits The Cell

Gov. Tim Pawlenty visited U.S. Cellular Field on Wednesday night, but said his appearance had nothing to do with stadium politics.

"We got here this morning for a Midwest-Japan bioscience summit," Pawlenty said. "We weren't planning on coming to the game. We kind of ad-libbed that."

Pawlenty was asked if he had any advice for Gardenhire. "Just win, baby," he said.

Etc.

The White Sox released pitcher Jose Paniagua on Wednesday, a day after he made an obscene gesture at the plate umpire as he left the field.

On deck

White Sox righthander Esteban Loaiza (19-6, 2.60 ERA) has a chance to win No. 20 today at 1 p.m.. Righthander Brad Radke (11-10, 4.93) will start for the Twins.

fhqwhgads
09-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Believe it or not, this was where I saw this news first. Wow.

Al Newman is a total class act, and a really fun guy. I had a few opportunities to talk to him back in the late 80's/early 90's when he was still playing with the team. Just an everyday Joe kinda guy, no ego of any sort.

Good luck, Al. Pull through.

GO TWINS!

Nick@Nite
09-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Believe it or not, this was where I saw this news first. Wow.

Al Newman is a total class act, and a really fun guy. I had a few opportunities to talk to him back in the late 80's/early 90's when he was still playing with the team. Just an everyday Joe kinda guy, no ego of any sort.

Good luck, Al. Pull through.

Well said, fhqwhgads.

Back in 1987, a good friend who I ran around with was from Burnsville, MN. Of course, he was a GIANT Twins fan. So I got to know all about Kirby, Herby, Frankie, Bruno, The Rat, Burt, Juan, Dan the man from Gladden, Lombo, Mark Salas, ad nauseum.

I also remember Al Newman.

AN, get better soon!

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 08:00 PM
To answer the original question according to the quotes in the AP recap of the game it had a trmendous effect on the Twins.

Typical Sox luck eh? Right before the biggest game of the season the opposition has a coach that is well liked have a serious medical condition.

The baseball gods HATE the White Sox.

Lip

fhqwhgads
09-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
To answer the original question according to the quotes in the AP recap of the game it had a trmendous effect on the Twins.

Typical Sox luck eh? Right before the biggest game of the season the opposition has a coach that is well liked have a serious medical condition.

The baseball gods HATE the White Sox.

Lip

Lip, love ya man. That actually made me laugh out loud. I realize your comment was made in jest, but only the most rabid fan could take a potential tragedy like this and make it about their own team, even jokingly. Wow.

FarWestChicago
09-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Lip, love ya man. That actually made me laugh out loud. I realize your comment was made in jest, but only the most rabid fan could take a potential tragedy like this and make it about their own team, even jokingly. Wow. You gotta give Lip creativity points. :smile:

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Guys:

Here's the thing...I WASN'T JOKING. The AP story quoted Denny Hocking and others as saying Newman's illness had a tremendous motivational effect on them.

If they weren't ready to go for this game Newman's illness took that Sox advantage (or possible advantage) away.

Only the Sox could have something like this happen to them the night before the biggest, most important game of the season.

Just like only the Sox could win an important game against a tough divisional rival and wind up losing the division because of it! (i.e. the 9th inning Tuesday night.)

Lip

fhqwhgads
09-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Lip, here's a present from me to you.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=240500