PDA

View Full Version : New Rick Morrissey Column

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Rick Morrissey has a new column out on the Sox in Thurday's Tribune and after reading it, I honestly don't know if he is praising or ripping Sox fans.

It's obviously pretty well written if his intent was to make Sox fans ponder what side he is coming from.

You might be interested in it.

Lip

LASOXFAN
09-11-2003, 01:12 AM
I didn't see it as ripping fans, not in the least. In fact, I thought it was an outstanding article.

Here's the link...

Morrisey (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030910morrisseycolumn,1,7708404.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

MarqSox
09-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Indeed, I thought this was a great piece of sports writing. There's some small digs on Sox fans there, but they are largely outweighed by the praise and the digs on Cubs fans. But relevantly, it is all true. Nice job Rick. :gulp:

Hokiesox
09-11-2003, 08:20 AM
from Rick Morrissey
Forget what the Cubs have and what you don't have. Enjoy the wonderful story that is unfolding on the South Side. Root for your own story. Root for the perfect ending, too, though that would have to include an outbreak of bubonic plague at Wrigley Field for many of you.

Great quote! Especially the latter part.

:gulp: :bandance:

Hangar18
09-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Since Morrisseys Column was a bit Cryptic, I'll send him this Cryptic Message. Rick, if you are, who they say you arent, than
your a Jerk. Acknowledge our anger is because of your writing.

Dan H
09-11-2003, 09:30 AM
I wasn't impressed with the column. He had to get in a stupid dig at attendance. It just didn't do much for me. I have tried to cheer for the Cubs or just plain ignore them. Can't do that. Their sorry excuse for a tradition sickens me. Any WS with the Cubs in it will ruin any October. A Cubs series should never happen.

jabrch
09-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rick Morrissey has a new column out on the Sox in Thurday's Tribune and after reading it, I honestly don't know if he is praising or ripping Sox fans.

It's obviously pretty well written if his intent was to make Sox fans ponder what side he is coming from.

You might be interested in it.

Lip

Not only did I think it was a very well written article and was completely fair, I think we deserved the few suttle jabs he took at us. We have an inferiority complex as a fanbase. Maybe not this small group of us so much...but Sox fans as a whole. At this point, Morrisey and KW are right. Screw the Cubs. Until we get to the World Series against them, they are the 8th most important team on my radar screen behind, in order, the Sox, the Twins, KC, NYY, Oak, Boston and Seattle. I gotta be honest. I don't care what happens on the North Side. It doesn't impact the Sox chance of making it to the World Series.

soxruleEP
09-11-2003, 09:37 AM
The part that handed me the horselaugh was his comment that "The Tribune doesn't favor the Cubs."

Give me a break--what was the breakdown in the off-season, 3-1 Cub v. Sox articles.

As Willie S. wrote: "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

hold2dibber
09-11-2003, 10:15 AM
I think the article was fair and the idea behind it was right - it drives me nuts when Sox fans seems to care more about what the Cubs do than what the Sox do. But it is almost impossible not to be bothered by the attention lavished on the Cubs. When the Sox beat Minnesota for the 2nd time in two nights and take a 2 game lead, and as a Sox fan you're excited to see the re-cap on the news, only to be subjected to ad nauseum praise of the Cubs and how they and Sosa have captured the hearts and minds of Puerto Rico, blah, blah, blah, before the Sox are even mentioned, it is frustrating and annoying and can't help but take some of the joy out of the pennant race. It's a shame - this really is the first "down to the wire" type of race the Sox have been in during my lifetime. I am enjoying it and trying to soak it all in - the attention lavished on the Cubs doesn't change that, but when that attention comes at the expense of the Sox, you can't help but notice and be bothered to some extent.

MisterB
09-11-2003, 10:30 AM
This article comes off as rather backhanded to me. He tells us to quit worrying and enjoy ourselves, yet brings up all the sore subjects for Sox fans.

Then again, if you went out to Comiskey Park more often and increased attendance, maybe this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

But let's not dwell on what's wrong or why the Sox can't fill the ballpark or who's to blame for any of it.

If you didn't want to dwell on it, why the hell bring it up, Rick...

(There is nothing I can do to convince some of you that a newspaper owned by Tribune Co. doesn't favor the Cubs, a team owned by Tribune Co. That's a discussion for another day, but the short-version answer is that it's true, we don't favor the Cubs over the Sox.)

I'll let those of you who actually read the paper make definitive comments, but from what I've heard around here the Cubs consistently get more column inches and more positive spin than the Sox. Right now would be the real test, considering that both teams are in nearly identical situations in terms of the pennant races.

You have passion many Cubs fans can't touch. There are fewer of you, true. Sometimes you feel like an army of one. But on Tuesday night at Comiskey, Buehrle picked off the Twins' A.J. Pierzynski at first base and afterward said it was the loudest roar he had ever heard in a ballpark. Do you know how many there were of you in the stands? There were 27,623 of you in a park that seats more than 47,000. You pack a lot of power in a small package.

I'm sick of the assumption that there are fewer Sox than Cub fans overall. Almost no media outlets mention the concept of the 'casual fan', they simply figure less butts in the seats = less Sox fans (or often, less supportive fans).

You would like some recognition for what is happening here. That's understandable. Your team is going this well, you would like some general affirmation, preferably at the expense of the Cubs. Again, get over the Cubs.

Well, with two major league teams in the city, the only way one team gets more press is at the expense of the other. The papers aren't going to print more pages or hire more staff to even things out, they're going to take from one to give to the other.

I've said it before: the Cubs are our competition. If not in the standings, then for the hearts, minds and wallets of Chicago baseball fans. And therefore they cannot be so simply ignored.

cheeses_h_rice
09-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Did Morrissey happen to see that "War and Peace"-length article on Carrie Wood in last Sunday's Cubune? Didn't really do much to dispel the myths that they favor their sister company...

maurice
09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
I read the Morrissey article in conjunction with a similar article by Slezak. The Sox fan bashing is really getting out of hand. I'd mind less if the articles weren't premised on invented information. The notion that Sox fans have an inferiority complex is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Cubs fans regularly discuss the beaten-to-death attendance issue (ignoring times when the Cubs don't draw) to compensate for their inferiority concerning the relevant issue (their team's relatively poor performance on the field). When Sox fans intelligently respond that the attendance disparity is due to perception issues caused in part by the media's demonstrable Cub favoritism, they respond with two contradictory arguments: (1) there is no media favoritism, and (2) the favoritism is caused by the attendance disparity.

The first argument is a bald lie, as proven many times here. Morrissey windsocks on the issue, denying favoritism but acknowledging Cub media saturation. He also claims that Sox fans should ignore the Cubs, but acknowledges that it's virtually impossible to do so. The second argument suffers from a serious chicken-and-the-egg problem. The subtext to the whole thing is: "Accept your role as second best in the minds and actions of the Chicago media. We're sick of hearing about it, and we're not going to change. Bwahahaha!"

These arguments have been out there for a long time. Either the columnists are ignorant of the actual issues or content to recycle the same trash instead of writing something interesting. Either way, if any of us sucked this bad at our jobs, we'd be fired. Sadly, the newspaper industry as we once knew it is going the way of the Edsel. I, for one, am going to miss it.

voodoochile
09-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by maurice
These arguments have been out there for a long time. Either the columnists are ignorant of the actual issues or content to recycle the same trash instead of writing something interesting. Either way, if any of us sucked this bad at our jobs, we'd be fired. Sadly, the newspaper industry as we once knew it is going the way of the Edsel. I, for one, am going to miss it.

I disagree. The format may change (electronic instead of printed on paper), but the in depth coverage afforded by newspaper reporters will be around for a long time. Not everyone wants their news in 30 second soundbites.

jortafan
09-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I disagree. The format may change (electronic instead of printed on paper), but the in depth coverage afforded by newspaper reporters will be around for a long time. Not everyone wants their news in 30 second soundbites.

But focus groups will convince pin-headed media organizations that people DO want their news in 30-second soundbites, and aren't terribly interested in anything more complex. Of course, these are the same focus groups that convince owners like JR and other major league teams that baseball fans want recorded rock music blaring throughout the stadium to create a frantic atmosphere of excitement, because the game itself is just soooo boring.

In short, a minority of pin-heads will rule.

Now that I've got that rant out of my system, I'll crawl back under my rock.

maurice
09-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That's why I said "as we once knew it." Daily in depth coverage already is being replaced by on-line sources with no print equivalent. Others rely on weekly news magazines. Meanwhile, the traditional daily is being supplanted by trash like Red Eye, which is closer to the "30 second soundbites" you referenced.

sox_fan_forever
09-11-2003, 11:22 AM
I did not like the column at all. Actually, maybe I shouldn't speak since I didn't read past the attendance comment. But from what I read before that comment and what I have read you guys here say, I don't like the column in general. Ok, it is true that many Sox fans, including myself, like to complain about the Cubs, pick on the Cubs, hate the Cubs, etc. But for me personally, hating the Cubs is something I enjoy to pass the time when the Sox don't give me much to root for. So I don't need to "get over" the Cubs. Right now the only team I care about is the Sox. I don't care about the Twins, Royals, or the Cubs. I just want the Sox to win.

I also agree with what another poster said about the media ignoring the casual fan. There are Sox fans, Cub fans, and casual fans. The Sox fans go to the Sox games. The Cub fans go to the Cubs games. And the casual fans go to the Cubs games. That is why I hate it when people ask where all the Sox fans are. Most of us are right where we've been all along! It's the casual fan who isn't coming.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Sorry if I'm withholding my voice from the chorus of praise for Morrissey. He seems to be writing with insight about what Sox Fans should feel about the Cubs. I'm sure that's the conclusion his readers will draw--especially if they are not Sox Fans. As for Cub fans, Morrissey does a magnificient job making them feel warm and fuzzy by drawing all the usual (and wrong) conclusions in his "insightful" piece.

Sorry, Cubune. We've heard all of this before, in some shape or form. If Morrissey and his Cubune editors had even an ounce of insight to offer on this subject, they wouldn't be serving up the newest set of tired cliches to their readers.

Sox Fans are outnumbered. We're outnumbered by a far wider margin than any other period in the franchise's 103-year history. Offer some insight on that subject, Cubune. That's where the answers lie to why the Cell isn't filled night after night, and the inferiority complex the city's citizens feel generally (and Sox Fans, specifically) towards the weak public support of the city's second team.

In other words, Morrissey and Cubune, get a ****ing clue! Serving this **** has no purpose. I would rather they ignore the subject than publish this newest load of crap that only serves to further obfuscate the roots of the problem.

If the Cubune REALLY CARED, they would devote the necessary resources to getting REAL ANSWERS to this subject rather than the 45 minutes Rick Morrissey put in writing this load of self-effacing bull****.

Do those *******s at the Cubune have the slightest inclination to serving the public interest of Chicago's residents? With this latest column by Morrissey, the answer comes back a resounding "NO!"

:angry: :angry: :angry: