PDA

View Full Version : Is tomorrow's game the game of the year?

lowesox
09-10-2003, 10:06 PM
I think it is. Especially with Loaiza on the hill and the difference in schedules. GO sox.

ChiSox7
09-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Easily

sox_fan_forever
09-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Until they clinch, every game is the game of the year. And then if they do make it to the playoffs each one of those games will become the game of the year....

HawkDJ
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Yes it is. Overcoming a split in the series with our differences in schedules would be very tough. Luckily, we've got our best pitcher going. Hopefully the offense shows up.

fhqwhgads
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Until they clinch, every game is the game of the year. And then if they do make it to the playoffs each one of those games will become the game of the year....

Well said, sff. They are all crucial in September. (Well, they are all crucial, period. They just seem so much more now. :smile: )

Nick@Nite
09-10-2003, 10:16 PM
... to date.

TornLabrum
09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
... to date.

Agreed. If we win, the Twinkies leave town two games down. If we lose, it's even up again. In the latter case the psychological advantage goes to the Twinks.

lowesox
09-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Two things:

i) Forget about momentum, with the Twins schedules (which is basically against little league teams) we need to have a lead of a couple games to play with. Even with a 2 game lead I'm worried.

ii) I'm also worried because there's a mental obstacle for Loaiza to get his twentieth.

DrCrawdad
09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Agreed. If we win, the Twinkies leave town two games down. If we lose, it's even up again. In the latter case the psychological advantage goes to the Twinks.

I followed the game tonight via a 28K modem here in the Adirondack mountains of NY state.

The Sox need to win tomorrow. If the Twits manage to win the last two they leave feeling good even though they got beat up the first two games.

White Sox, take the punk Twits down a peg or two tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Considering the Sox would have won the first two games of this series and to have the Twins come back for a split would be VERY bad news.

They need to score early tomorrow just like Monday - Tuesday to grab a little momentum back.

They needed it tonight and looked like they thought they had already won the division.

Lip

shane
09-10-2003, 11:05 PM
They should be able to handle Radke. Santana's tough. Twins had the advantage tonight with the Santana/Garland matchup. We can't win every game, and Santana is one of the better pitchers out there. I hope they jump all over Radke, get the bats ready to handle the knuckleball in bean town. Wright has a big game coming up. I'd love to see him come out with a strong performance and a 'W'.

Jerko
09-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Let's quit bitching about the Twins schedule. WE PLAY EVERY TEAM THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not the Twins fault that we lost 26 games or so to the Tigers, Indians, Rangers, and Devil Rays. The ONLY advantage the Twins have over the Sox in schedules is that we played the Cubs 6 times and they played the Brewers 6 times. We were 4-2 vs. the Cubs and I know Milwaukee beat Minn. at least once. SO, the SCHEDULE that everybody is so worried about is EVEN! If we had the same record vs. Det and Cle as Minny does, the division would be clinched already. Pretty scary; they played a harder slate than us and are only a game back.

voodoochile
09-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Let's quit bitching about the Twins schedule. WE PLAY EVERY TEAM THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, that's not true, but I don't think it is important.

I don't see it as complaining, merely worrying and noting. From here on out, the Twinkies have a much easier schedule. That is a fact. No need to run from it...

lowesox
09-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by shane
They should be able to handle Radke.

Let's give Radke some respect. He's a tough pitcher. He's the anchor of their staff, which is exactly the kind of guy who could rise for a big game. The Sox are going to need to put some runs up early, or else they could be in trouble.

LASOXFAN
09-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Two things:

i) Forget about momentum, with the Twins schedules (which is basically against little league teams) we need to have a lead of a couple games to play with. Even with a 2 game lead I'm worried.

ii) I'm also worried because there's a mental obstacle for Loaiza to get his twentieth. \

don't forget how well he pitched in the all-star game, this guy's clutch

Lip Man 1
09-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Bill Melton brought up an excellent point on the post game show when talking about Radke.

He said Radke throws a lot like Santana....change ups and split finger fastballs.

He said the Sox MUST wait, be patient and hit their pitch. If they are overaggressive you're going to see that same crap like against Santana.

We'll see.....biggest game of the season bar none, a MUST win if ever there was one.

I'd go so far as to say Manager Gandhi has to play this like a 7th game of a World Series, if he has to use five or six pitchers to win then he has to do it.

Here's why...

If the Sox win and go to Boston and stink up this place they at least have a little breathing room, two games of a cushion.

But if the Sox lose tomorrow, go to Boston dead even and stink up the place they'll drop two games back and heading into Minnesota be forced to have to sweep. That's NOT going to happen.

So Gandhi, play to win at ALL COSTS tomorrow and take your chances Friday.

Lip

Procol Harum
09-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I'd go so far as to say Manager Gandhi has to play this like a 7th game of a World Series, if he has to use five or six pitchers to win then he has to do it.

Here's why...

If the Sox win and go to Boston and stink up this place they at least have a little breathing room, two games of a cushion.

But if the Sox lose tomorrow, go to Boston dead even and stink up the place they'll drop two games back and heading into Minnesota be forced to have to sweep. That's NOT going to happen.

So Gandhi, play to win at ALL COSTS tomorrow and take your chances Friday.

Lip

I'm inclined to be with you on this one, Lip. To end up back at dead even would be disastrous. Let's hope JM will see it that way, too.

:jerry
"I have an annoucement; we're going to begin Phase III of Billy Koch's rehab by implementing a new program with him--making him our 5th starter! Therefore, we're giving him the start Thursday afternoon--this way, we'll give Esteban an extra day of rest and have him ready for Boston."

toledosoxfan
09-11-2003, 08:52 AM
I disagree with you Lip. EVERY single game left is important. EVERY single game left is a must win. There is still a lot of baseball left to play, so we can't tire the entire bullpen by using 6 pitchers as you say (won't happen anyway, ELO will be solid). This is a marathon that we need to take one game at a time.

Dick Allen
09-11-2003, 09:07 AM
As far as I'm concerned, this game could be the season. The teams' schedules from here on out cannot be ignored, and all those Sox losses to the Tigers are going to come back to bite them on the heiny unless they beat the Twins head on. It will be interesting to see how Manuel handles a game with this much importance, it scares the hell out of me. Hopefully the players will make Manuel's involvement a moot point.

Dan H
09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Every game is important, obviously, but it also obvious that the games with the Twins are bigger. It is not whining to consider the Twins easier schedule. The Sox must know that they cannot depend on anyone esle's help. They need to win today and take two out of three in Minnesota. Playing even with the Twins does the Sox no good. The Sox act like they are contenders. The last 19 games of the year will prove if they really are.

Iwritecode
09-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Bill Melton brought up an excellent point on the post game show when talking about Radke.

He said Radke throws a lot like Santana....change ups and split finger fastballs.

He said the Sox MUST wait, be patient and hit their pitch. If they are overaggressive you're going to see that same crap like against Santana.

That's strange because they're numbers against the Sox are night and day...

A.T. Money
09-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That's strange because they're numbers against the Sox are night and day...

Explain please?

Iwritecode
09-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Explain please?

2003 stats

Santana v. Sox: 3.52 ERA in 4 games (no starts)
Radke v. Sox: 5.23 ERA in 3 starts

OK, maybe not night and day, but Radke hasn't been quite as good against the Sox as Santana has...

Here's my favorite stat though:

Loaiza v. Twins: 0.86 ERA in 3 starts

Hopefully this stays true through today!

Stats courtesy of Maurice. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=239412#post239412)

A.T. Money
09-11-2003, 10:01 AM
2003 stats

Santana v. Sox: 3.52 ERA in 4 games (no starts)
Radke v. Sox: 5.23 ERA in 3 starts

OK, maybe not night and day, but Radke hasn't been quite as good against the Sox as Santana has...

Here's my favorite stat though:

Loaiza v. Twins: 0.86 ERA in 3 starts

Hopefully this stays true through today!

Ah, I thought you meant there was some significance to day and night games vs. the Twins.

BTW, anyone know the stats in that department?

I know Buehrle had a complete game vs. the Twins at the Metrodome this year. We lost the Sunday when they swept us there too. I believe we also won the Sunday at home in the opening series.

JRIG
09-11-2003, 10:07 AM

Of course, Radke doesn't throw 97 mph. And he's not left handed. Which means we get the good versions of Valentin, Alomar, and Everett tonight.

I'm much more confident facing Radke than Santana.

South Sider
09-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Yeah.... todays game is the most important game of the year.

Why?

Just because of yesterdays game....wich in my eyes was the most important game of the year !!!!!!

Clinching at least a 2 game lead would have helped us for todays game and the remaining games.

Now we have to fear going into Boston still tied with the Twinkies who just plays AAA Teams at best the rest of the way.

So if we loose today....I believe that the Sox will fall into a deep hole

It is just a mental thing and I believe the Twinkies have an advantage coming to mental toughness.

Sorry....but that is what I've learned the last few years.

So we better win today....Otherwise it could be over very soon !

maurice
09-11-2003, 10:37 AM
2003 stats

Hey, code! I demand a footnote! :D:

Santana's numbers against the Sox are better after yesterday's game, supporting your "night and day" statement.

CHISOXFAN13
09-11-2003, 10:54 AM
I've read so many posts about how the Twins have such an easy schedule the rest of the way. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Someone want to explain to me why they think the Twins will walk all over Cleveland.

Maybe I'm drunk or stupid or a combination of both, but the last time I checked, the Indians own an 8-5 advantage against them this season.

Cleveland has the best young talent in this division, and I'm not ready to say the Twins will just waltz all over them.

It took two rallies by us late in the game to sweep them. The Tribe won't roll over for Minnesota.

Iwritecode
09-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by maurice
Hey, code! I demand a footnote! :D:

I edited my post... :smile:

Originally posted by maurice
Santana's numbers against the Sox are better after yesterday's game, supporting your "night and day" statement.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Hopefully the offense will come out firing today and further support my statement. :D:

kempsted
09-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Let's quit bitching about the Twins schedule. WE PLAY EVERY TEAM THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not the Twins fault that we lost 26 games or so to the Tigers, Indians, Rangers, and Devil Rays. The ONLY advantage the Twins have over the Sox in schedules is that we played the Cubs 6 times and they played the Brewers 6 times. We were 4-2 vs. the Cubs and I know Milwaukee beat Minn. at least once. SO, the SCHEDULE that everybody is so worried about is EVEN! If we had the same record vs. Det and Cle as Minny does, the division would be clinched already. Pretty scary; they played a harder slate than us and are only a game back.
Chill out. People are not bitching about it they are pointing out that it is bad for the Sox that at this moment in time when we are in a tight race that they have an easier part of their schedule and we have a harder part. Yes it is the Sox fault they didn't win those early games.

But BTW friends, the Twins have a WORSE record against the central division than we do and have played fairly badly against the Indians. (So no we would not be better off if we won as many games against the Indians as they have because he have won more than they have) Their main advantage over us is playing better against the west than we did. If we played even 500 against AL West we are way ahead. (Especially if both the Twins and Sox played 500 vs the west we lead by 10 games over the Twins

Pete Ward
09-11-2003, 12:57 PM
BIG Game

This one means 2 games in the standings

We are either up by 2 or tied

This WIN today is big from a mental edge also.

GO YOU WHITE SOX !!!

doublem23
09-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Let's quit bitching about the Twins schedule. WE PLAY EVERY TEAM THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No we don't. We only play every team in our division the same number of times as our division rivals.