PDA

View Full Version : One of my favorite things about Comiskey


mike squires
09-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, so I still call it Comiskey, so what?!

With all this talk about signs, playoff songs etc...

One of my favorite things about Comiskey is when Nancy stops playing Na Na Hey Hey the second time and the sound of 35,000 fans singing HEY HEY HEY...during a pitching change. It gives me goosebumps. I like it when Hawk goes quiet as well cause he knows it's special as well.

It's a beautiful thing!

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 07:00 PM
What I love:

The food (polish w/ grilled onions, nachos, churros, ice cream)
The scoreboard. I love seeing it light up with fireworks after a homer.
Nancy.
The Sox.

bc2k
09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Nancy Foust sucks. Probably the only thing I don't like about Comiskey.

Mike, don't be embarrassed to call it Comiskey, I do it intentionally.

JohnJeter
09-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Whoa! "Nancy Faust sucks"? What would you prefer as an alternative?

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 07:59 PM
"Nancy Faust sucks"????

You don't know what you're talking about man.

emaholic
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I love everything about Comiskey. I love the atmosphere and I love being there. Great food, great fans, great times.

<3 <3 :smile:

Shoeless Joe
09-10-2003, 08:53 PM
It doesn't get any better in life than having a polish with grilled onions and a White Sox winner at the ballpark.

bc2k
09-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Whoa! "Nancy Faust sucks"? What would you prefer as an alternative? How about that guy who was fired for playing the White Snake song when Finley warmed up. That's intelligent use of music.


Originally posted by A.T. Money
"Nancy Faust sucks"????

You don't know what you're talking about man.

I don't see what she adds to the park. Why do I have to hear the 'charge!' organ music 15 times a game? That is the worst sound effect in sports. That adds nothing to the game. Her instrument sucks, organs don't pump up a team or a crowd. I would rather see a real musician on a real instrument in place of Nancy Faust. I'd by far rather have a blues musician on a harmonica than Nancy on the organ.

TDog
09-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
How about that guy who was fired for playing the White Snake song when Finley warmed up. That's intelligent use of music.




I don't see what she adds to the park. Why do I have to hear the 'charge!' organ music 15 times a game? That is the worst sound effect in sports. That adds nothing to the game. Her instrument sucks, organs don't pump up a team or a crowd. I would rather see a real musician on a real instrument in place of Nancy Faust. I'd by far rather have a blues musician on a harmonica than Nancy on the organ.

Nancy Faust is a real musician and she plays a real instrument. She is more talented, skilled and intelligent than most of the people you probably listen to on a regular basis.

She doesn't just play "charge." She plays the soundtrack for baseball, or at least she used to before a minority with comments like yours convinced people at the park to cut back on her time at the organ.

TornLabrum
09-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Nancy Faust is a real musician and she plays a real instrument. She is more talented, skilled and intelligent than most of the people you probably listen to on a regular basis.

She doesn't just play "charge." She plays the soundtrack for baseball, or at least she used to before a minority with comments like yours convinced people at the park to cut back on her time at the organ.

I would also point out her intelligent use of puns in the music she uses to introduce opposition batters. The best recent example I can recall is when Tim Salmon was introduced by Gene Honda, and Nancy immediately played the theme from Flipper.

One of my favorites is one that Jeff gave her in the mid-'90s as an introduction for Rob Ducey: the theme from "I Love Lucy."

P.S. Joe Stephen was a complete idiot.

Nick@Nite
09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
How about that guy who was fired for playing the White Snake song when Finley warmed up. That's intelligent use of music.

:b&b
BEAVIS:... heh, heh... Whitesnake... heh, heh, heh
BUTTHEAD:... huh, huh, huh... White... huh, huh, snake... huh, huh, huh

shane
09-10-2003, 11:30 PM
Her instrument sucks, organs don't pump up a team or a crowd. I would rather see a real musician on a real instrument in place of Nancy Faust. I'd by far rather have a blues musician on a harmonica than Nancy on the organ.

The organ is as much a part of baseball as the peanuts and hot dogs. A harmonica? Are you kidding me? How about Bill Clinton on sax? Also, when you want a team to win, why would you select blues for the music? Real blues isn't exactly the most energizing music, nor is it intended to be. Jazz trumpet from the swing or be-bop era, maybe, but the organ really should not be replaced.

kingpin_rcs
09-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Do you know why Liberace could never play at a baseball game?

Because he sucked on the organ!

(ba da dum - I'm here all week try the veal)


But seriously - anybody who says nacy sucks needs to trade in their mullet for some good taste. Nancy is one of the greatest things about Comiskey. She is one of the greatest things about baseball. Do you know she has worked for the Sox longer than any current employee (even longer than JR and Roger Bossard).

voodoochile
09-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Nancy Foust sucks. Probably the only thing I don't like about Comiskey.


Oh, you really need to check yourself...

ihatethecubs
09-11-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Nancy Foust sucks. Probably the only thing I don't like about Comiskey.

OH MY GOD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever seen posted on this board in all my years. Wow. You call yourself a Sox fan? Let me guess, you don't like churros or the exploding scoreboard either? You probably thought Joe Stephen was awesome too... didn't you? Nancy can play any song you could ask for. Know why? Because she is a REAL MUSICIAN. I don't understand how you could call someone who could play any song ever in the history of music "not a real musician." And then your little remark how "organs don't pump up a team or a crowd" and you'd "rather have a blues musician on a harmonica." Yes, I'm sure an old black man huffing into a blues harp would really whip the crowd up into a frenzy.
Oh, by the way, it's Faust, not "Foust", moron. Faust is German for fist... why don't you take yours and punch yourself in the face for saying something so retarded.

thepaulbowski
09-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Nancy Foust sucks. Probably the only thing I don't like about Comiskey.

I believe a big BOOOOOO is in order for this ridiculous comment. Just seeing that makes me angry :angry: . What's your idea of music: a keyboard & a synthesizer ? Give me a break. Yeah does a horrible job during "Take me out to the Ballgame." As JM stated, some people just don't understand baseball.

Procol Harum
09-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Nancy Foust sucks. Probably the only thing I don't like about Comiskey.


Whatttt??? Blasphemer! I've never heard a bad word in 30+ years about Nancy Faust from any other Sox fan. What I wish they'd get rid of is all the blasting canned music and irritating "pump up the crowd" soundbites like the infamous--as somebody was claiming it sounded like last week on here--"who humped the duck?"

Heck, this thread was supposed to be about things we LIKED about Comiskey. I feel a need to bring us back to center on this thread--mmmmmmm, churros....

GoSox2K3
09-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
How about that guy who was fired for playing the White Snake song when Finley warmed up. That's intelligent use of music.


You are kidding us, right?

A.T. Money
09-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I would also point out her intelligent use of puns in the music she uses to introduce opposition batters. The best recent example I can recall is when Tim Salmon was introduced by Gene Honda, and Nancy immediately played the theme from Flipper.

One of my favorites is one that Jeff gave her in the mid-'90s as an introduction for Rob Ducey: the theme from "I Love Lucy."

P.S. Joe Stephen was a complete idiot.

I remember Manny Ramirez grounding out, and she played part of the theme to "Cheers". She's very clever and does a great job.

Hell, even at Tuesday's game, Maggs missed that foul ball on the warning track. She started playing the song "I'm only human."

A.T. Money
09-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
OH MY GOD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever seen posted on this board in all my years. Wow. You call yourself a Sox fan? Let me guess, you don't like churros or the exploding scoreboard either? You probably thought Joe Stephen was awesome too... didn't you? Nancy can play any song you could ask for. Know why? Because she is a REAL MUSICIAN. I don't understand how you could call someone who could play any song ever in the history of music "not a real musician." And then your little remark how "organs don't pump up a team or a crowd" and you'd "rather have a blues musician on a harmonica." Yes, I'm sure an old black man huffing into a blues harp would really whip the crowd up into a frenzy.
Oh, by the way, it's Faust, not "Foust", moron. Faust is German for fist... why don't you take yours and punch yourself in the face for saying something so retarded.

*****!!!!!

CubKiller
09-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
[B]Nancy Foust sucks. Probably the only thing I don't like about Comiskey.

Wow bc2k...you're really taking a beating for this one...and you deserve every bit of it...Faust is great.

I REALLY wish the only sounds were the announcer and the organ. I HATE when they play recorded popular music before the game or as 2-second clips between the action. That is dumb. Does anyone know who (from the Sox) is responsible? I know they do this at several (if not all) major sporting events, but when you have Nancy, you sure don't need to hear any pre-recorded crap.

brlysgrl56
09-11-2003, 10:53 AM
I love the pitching highlight reels that they play for the starter of the day.
They give me goosebumps and pump me up!

I love how the fans get behing the last out of an inning or a game, strike three's and ball four.

I love how we chant "Paulie Paulie"

I love how our guys hang over the railing to watch the game from the dugout.

I love how I can belt out "take me out the the ballgame" when I know damn well I can't sing to save my life...and it's okay!

Next!

on and I love Mark Buehrle and I don't care who knows it!

Cynthia

idseer
09-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by CubKiller
Wow bc2k...you're really taking a beating for this one...and you deserve every bit of it...Faust is great.

I REALLY wish the only sounds were the announcer and the organ. I HATE when they play recorded popular music before the game or as 2-second clips between the action. That is dumb. Does anyone know who (from the Sox) is responsible? I know they do this at several (if not all) major sporting events, but when you have Nancy, you sure don't need to hear any pre-recorded crap.


DITTO!

i'm sure he thought he'd have many supporters on this.

SURPRISE!

doublem23
09-11-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
How about that guy who was fired for playing the White Snake song when Finley warmed up. That's intelligent use of music.




I don't see what she adds to the park. Why do I have to hear the 'charge!' organ music 15 times a game? That is the worst sound effect in sports. That adds nothing to the game. Her instrument sucks, organs don't pump up a team or a crowd. I would rather see a real musician on a real instrument in place of Nancy Faust. I'd by far rather have a blues musician on a harmonica than Nancy on the organ.

I think this is an appropriate time to mention this is the same guy who wanted to dump the man with the 2nd most home runs in the American League.

:gulp:

shane
09-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller
I HATE when they play recorded popular music before the game or as 2-second clips between the action. That is dumb. Does anyone know who (from the Sox) is responsible?

Here's a little article about it. Doesn't say who started it for the Sox, but you can definitely blame Seattle for it.

Player Intro Music (http://www.streetandsmiths.com/editorial/baseball_2002/behind_music.html)

Bobby Thigpen
09-11-2003, 12:49 PM
I don't particularly mind the intro music, in fact most of it I find to be pretty good. It's the stupid sound effects and music between innings that drives me nuts. Those along with the ever expanding multitude of idiotic races that take over the video screen between innings.

That said there are many things i LOVE about the park;
1. The smell. Anytime I smell grilled onions I immediately think of Comiskey and hot dogs.
2. The fact that at most games you go to you can talk to another Sox fan that has a clue as to what is going on with the team. Go to Busch and see how many of the "best fans in baseball" really know what's going on and I bet you won't find many. Don't even mention Wrigley.
3. The fact that you can walk all the way around the lower deck and take in the game from many angles.
4. It's easily the easiest to get to park I've ever been to.
5. And lastly the Sox play there.

Pete Ward
09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Nancy is cool, she's part of Comisky and the history of the Sox

TDog
09-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
... Why do I have to hear the 'charge!' organ music 15 times a game? That is the worst sound effect in sports

After I responded to bc2k in anger Wednesday, it occurred to me that Nancy Faust doesn't even play "charge" anymore. Because there is a misguided belief in Major League Baseball that ballpark sounds have to move with the times, Nancy Faust is exiled to the visitor half of the inning (so gone are the days when she could play "If I Were a Rich Man" with Dick Allen strolling up to the plate). Having been with the Sox since 1970, she isn't about to play "charge" in the top of the ninth.

Nancy Faust is a musical genre all her own. The Sox should give her a number so that someday they can retire it.

What I love about the new park is the sensory experience of coming in as the lineups are being announced -- the smells of the concessions and the sound of Nancy playing "Lake Shore Drive" fills me with an excitement the game can't always match.

southsidegirl
09-11-2003, 09:19 PM
What I love about Comiskey is that you can turn around and start talking to any Sox fan and they'll respond intelligently, and know what's going on in the game. We're all one big family.

I also love how loud it gets. I was at the game on Tuesday and when Buehrle picked the guy off at first, I swear you couldn't even hear yourself think. There was only like 27,000 there too.

I love how after we win people chant on the way down the ramp.

Lastly, I looooooove the funnel cakes. I found out recently that you can put hot fudge on them. I was going nuts, screaming "Oh my god! Theres chocolate on them!" Churros and koshers are good too. I feel so guilty afterwards cuz I'm vegitarian, but once a year or so I get a kosher dog. I eat it super slow because It's the only time I eat meat. Other times, I just ask for a bun and put all the toppings in it.

LuvSox
09-11-2003, 09:30 PM
First of all, Nancy Faust is a baseball legend. And a sweetheart. I had my picture taken with her a few days ago. If I don't look like a total dingus I'll put it up here.

What do I like about Comiskey?

The Sox, of course.


The smell of food cooking in onions. I don't cook anything on the grill anymore without onions. That smell brings a big smile to my face!


The fans. We're a great bunch of people.


The babes. Anyone who says Wrigley has all of the women has their eyes closed. Seriously. I fall in love at Comiskey about every 5 minutes. (My wife doesn't see this site. :D: )




Going back to the food, I've told my wife several times that I want to be cremated and spread around Comiskey. I want to live in eternity where the brats cook in the onions! (Is that weird?)

TornLabrum
09-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
First of all, Nancy Faust is a baseball legend. And a sweetheart. I had my picture taken with her a few days ago. If I don't look like a total dingus I'll put it up here.

What do I like about Comiskey?

The Sox, of course.


The smell of food cooking in onions. I don't cook anything on the grill anymore without onions. That smell brings a big smile to my face!


The fans. We're a great bunch of people.


The babes. Anyone who says Wrigley has all of the women has their eyes closed. Seriously. I fall in love at Comiskey about every 5 minutes. (My wife doesn't see this site. :D: )




Going back to the food, I've told my wife several times that I want to be cremated and spread around Comiskey. I want to live in eternity where the brats cook in the onions! (Is that weird?)

Not as weird as wanting my ashes spread in Parking Lot B because that's where the real Comiskey Park is.

39thandWallace
09-11-2003, 11:05 PM
I only have a few suggestions for the park.

Get Jim's Maxwell St. Polish and other Chicago vendors in there.

Lose the 7th Inning stretch I can't stand it anymore it has been turned into a Cub anthem.