PDA

View Full Version : OOO EEE OOO chant

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Remember in 2000 when the Sox first started doing the OOO EEE OOO chant for Maggs?

It was a cut of the Wizard of Oz, and it was the whole thing:

"OOOO EEEE OOOO, OOOOOOO OOOOOOO. OOOO EEEE OOOO, OOOOOO OOOOOO."

They don't use that one anymore, now it's just:

"OOOO EEEE OOOO" leaving it up the fans to say "Maaaaaaaglio"

I never paid much attention, but my girlfriend who is a huge Simpsons fan, said that is Homer Simpson saying "OOOO EEEE OOOO".

Any hardcore Simpsons fans here? Is that Homer?

Grobber33
09-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Remember in 2000 when the Sox first started doing the OOO EEE OOO chant for Maggs?

It was a cut of the Wizard of Oz, and it was the whole thing:

"OOOO EEEE OOOO, OOOOOOO OOOOOOO. OOOO EEEE OOOO, OOOOOO OOOOOO."

They don't use that one anymore, now it's just:

"OOOO EEEE OOOO" leaving it up the fans to say "Maaaaaaaglio"

I never paid much attention, but my girlfriend who is a huge Simpsons fan, said that is Homer Simpson saying "OOOO EEEE OOOO".

Any hardcore Simpsons fans here? Is that Homer?

Just so you know, in the Wizard Of Oz, the chant from the Witch's Guards is 'OH WE LOATH, THE OLD ONE'. So it's not a positive chant at all. Just listen next time(if there is one)that you get a chance to view that part of the Movie. The Guards were Happy Dorthy melted the Witch,and said 'Hail to Dorthy'. What many think is a positive chant for Mags,resulted from a hostile one.

Brian26
09-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Just so you know, in the Wizard Of Oz, the chant from the Witch's Guards is 'OH WE LOATH, THE OLD ONE'. So it's not a positive chant at all. Just listen next time(if there is one)that you get a chance to view that part of the Movie. The Guards were Happy Dorthy melted the Witch,and said 'Hail to Dorthy'. What many think is a positive chant for Mags,resulted from a hostile one.

Make sense of it all for me, Grobber.
I just can't handle this on my own.

maurice
09-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Why am I not surprised that a Cub fan would be an expert on Judy Garland movies?

:)

MRKARNO
09-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Why am I not surprised that a Cub fan would be an expert on Judy Garland movies?

:)

I guess they just need to have their own Garland to cheer for

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Make sense of it all for me, Grobber.
I just can't handle this on my own.

Ditto. I'm confused.

It doesn't answer my question though.

Is it Homer or not?!?!?!?

MRKARNO
09-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Ditto. I'm confused.

It doesn't answer my question though.

Is it Homer or not?!?!?!?

Is it Ed Farmer????

JohnJeter
09-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Closest reference I could come up with regarding Homer and Oz is Burns' guards chanting it in the "Rosebud" episode.

I was unaware of the actual words behind that chant, Grobber, and I thought I knew that film cold. Maybe I should watch it with the volume on instead of "Dark Side of the Moon" playing along with it.

jortafan
09-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Who cares if it's Homer, or whether it was a negative chant from the Wizard of Oz. As far as the White Sox are concerned, it's just a goofy way to get the fans to chant "Magglio." Admittedly, I don't know any other way to get them to chant. The name doesn't have the same ring as "Reg-gie" or "Har-old."

Thunderstruck30
09-10-2003, 09:28 PM
I dont think it sounds like Homer at all.

chisox1388
09-10-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm a huge Simpsons fan and it's definitely Homer.

Viva Magglio
09-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Is it Ed Farmer????

I believe it is Farmer. And I think I know when he said it. The Sox had been using OEO since Mágglio was a puppy in the big leagues. One night in 1998, we were playing the Devil Rays in a twilight doubleheader. Mágglio had a big night going deep, and Farmer did the OEO after one of the home runs.

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Make sense of it all for me, Grobber. I just can't handle this on my own

Dadawg_77
09-10-2003, 11:22 PM
It is Homer from the episode he was the chosen one for the stonebreakers.

kittle42
09-11-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
It is Homer from the episode he was the chosen one for the stonebreakers.

It was the Stonecutters - leave the responses asking for Simpsons fans to people who are actually nerdy enough to know the answers.

I am quite the Simpsons fan. I do not pretend to be absolutely 100% sure of this, but I do not believe at all that it is Homer. In fact, I was so sure that when I read the initial question, I actually laughed at the suggestion.

jabrch
09-12-2003, 09:09 AM

Ya know what is strange about that post Les...You have no problem pointing out the genesis of hostility of the O E O Chant - yet you fail at every turn to point out the hostility involved in corking a bat, beating your wife with a rum bottle, not having valid DL/liscense plates, missing scheduled charity appearances, hopping, etc.

Oh yeah, I remember, Albert Belle and Wil Cordero were jerks - NO KIDDING!!! They were both Scumbags - so is Diego Maradonna what's your point? Thanks for telling us about how negative this chant started. We hardly care....

O E O - Maggglio

Grobber33
09-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Ya know what is strange about that post Les...You have no problem pointing out the genesis of hostility of the O E O Chant - yet you fail at every turn to point out the hostility involved in corking a bat, beating your wife with a rum bottle, not having valid DL/liscense plates, missing scheduled charity appearances, hopping, etc.

Oh yeah, I remember, Albert Belle and Wil Cordero were jerks - NO KIDDING!!! They were both Scumbags - so is Diego Maradonna what's your point? Thanks for telling us about how negative this chant started. We hardly care....

O E O - Maggglio

Oh yeah??? Tell me another one!! If you hardly cared,you would ignore it--but since my posting of what that chant evolved from,plenty have responded---so strange a way to react about something you could care less about. Any chat,or cheer that need's electronic prompting--just like the Fan O Meter is just plain silly. Fans at Comiskey are supposed to be loud and into the games and NOT need that kind of CRAP. Or are you defending it ONLY because on the North Side,they dont do that kind of stuff and anything the Sox do is automactically cool??

guillen4life13
09-12-2003, 10:32 PM
I don't see this argument going anywhere.

voodoochile
09-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Fans at Comiskey are supposed to be loud and into the games and NOT need that kind of CRAP. Or are you defending it ONLY because on the North Side,they dont do that kind of stuff and anything the Sox do is automactically cool??

Well... um... Yeah... what's your point? :D:

Most of the fans I know laugh at the gimicky and obviously fake noise meter graphics the Sox put up. Also, most of them don't need it. The fans have been really loud and into it recently...

monkeypants
09-12-2003, 11:12 PM
The chant is also used in the Mr. Burns Rosebud episode. The guards are marching in front of Burns' mansion just like in The Wizzard of Oz. They are using the same tune but are actually saying "All we own, we owe."

doublem23
09-12-2003, 11:15 PM
The first time I heard the version where the fans say, "MAGGLIO..." I also thought it was Homer Simpson's chant, too.

jabrch
09-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah??? Tell me another one!! If you hardly cared,you would ignore it--but since my posting of what that chant evolved from,plenty have responded---so strange a way to react about something you could care less about. Any chat,or cheer that need's electronic prompting--just like the Fan O Meter is just plain silly. Fans at Comiskey are supposed to be loud and into the games and NOT need that kind of CRAP. Or are you defending it ONLY because on the North Side,they dont do that kind of stuff and anything the Sox do is automactically cool??

No Les - not at all - I hate the Fan-O-Meter. I hate the wave. I hate lots of things that the Sox do and I find many of them ridiculous, uncool and stupid. I, and many other posters here, are always critical about stupid things that go on at the park. I can't believe you would accuse Sox fans of needing peripheral entertainment at the park. The same 15,000 people show up every day. We hardly care what flashed on the scoreboard and most of us don't raise/lower our enthusiasm based on it.

My question to you - that either I didn't well phrase or you ignored, is why bash a chant done by Sox fans as being of a negative origin when you seem perfectly comfortable tolerating and in fact supporting the negativity from the Cubs without giving it equal criticism either here or on the air.

I am a big fan Les - and the phrase "I couldn't care less" shouldn't be taken out of context. But I find it stange that with a great guy like Mags (do you disagree that as far as human beings go, Mags is the better of the city's two RFs?) you chose to post to focus on the negativity of a cheer that the fans like.

I know it doesn't take prompting to say "Sam Me - Sam ME" but give Sox fans their due less. Instead of bagging on the OEO thing, how about cheering for a great RF, an awesome man and something that is good about baseball - rather than the options.