PDA

View Full Version : Few minor league questions...

MarkEdward
09-10-2003, 12:16 PM
... that I've been pondering this morning:

1. What does Jeremy Reed's batting stance look like? That is, what current major league stance would you compare him to (just trying to get a mental image of the guy)?

2. What happened to Andy Gonzalez? .231/.347/.282 in Kannapolis. Was he playing with an injury? Is Kannapolis that much of a pitcher's park (I noticed nobody on the Intimidators had a slugging percentage over .400)?

3. Giving out major league contracts to draft picks is not smart. Mr. Delmon Young, meet Wily Mo Pena.

Randar68
09-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
... that I've been pondering this morning:

1. What does Jeremy Reed's batting stance look like? That is, what current major league stance would you compare him to (just trying to get a mental image of the guy)?

2. What happened to Andy Gonzalez? .231/.347/.282 in Kannapolis. Was he playing with an injury? Is Kannapolis that much of a pitcher's park (I noticed nobody on the Intimidators had a slugging percentage over .400)?

3. Giving out major league contracts to draft picks is not smart. Mr. Delmon Young, meet Wily Mo Pena.

1) classic LH stance. Don't really know how to explain it. (not open like many nowadays.) Sees the ball exceptionally well.

2) Andy has been concentratin gon his defense, the most glaring weakness he's had in his pro career thus far. The considerable extra time spent on D has to come from somewhere, and it came from the cage, mostly. Gonzalez is still a good prospect, but, IMO, as I have seen both, 2003 draftee Robert Valido is already the best defensive SS in the system. He has better speed (although still pretty average for a middle infielder) and is very smooth and fluid in the field. Has a nice easy throw, although a tad side-armed at times (Nomar-like), but has good accuracy and range. Turns the DP VERY naturally. He is a contact hitter and his skills at the plate are the only realquestion. I actually rank Valido as the #1 SS prospect in the system. We'll see where he goes from here, but he will fill out into a solid 6' 180-190 pound SS before he is done. Uses the whole field and has occassional pop.

3) Delmon Young is the real deal.

MarkEdward
09-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
1) classic LH stance. Don't really know how to explain it. (not open like many nowadays.) Sees the ball exceptionally well.

Ah. So I guess he doesn't have the Chase Utley thing going.

I actually rank Valido as the #1 SS prospect in the system.

Well, that's not really saying much, is it? Look at the starting SS's in our system:
Charlotte: Jorge Nunez (.231/.255/.269)
Birmingham: Guillermo Reyes (.210/.275/.279)
Winston-Salem: Michael Morse (.245/.296/.394)
Kannapolis: Andy Gonzalez (.231/.347/.282)
Bristol: Rob Valido (.307/.364/.479)
Great Falls: Michael Myers (.301/.410/.414; too bad he's 24 years old)

It'll be interesting to see what Valido can for a whole season. I assume he'll be in Winston-Salem next year, right?

3) Delmon Young is the real deal.

Wasn't Wily Mo Pena supposed to be the real deal? :smile:

Anyway, I do think Young will be a better player than Pena. I just don't think it's very smart to give a major league contract to such a young player (I could understand a team doing that with a college player, but not an 18 year old).

Randar68
09-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Ah. So I guess he doesn't have the Chase Utley thing going.

Well, that's not really saying much, is it? Look at the starting SS's in our system:
Charlotte: Jorge Nunez (.231/.255/.269)
Birmingham: Guillermo Reyes (.210/.275/.279)
Winston-Salem: Michael Morse (.245/.296/.394)
Kannapolis: Andy Gonzalez (.231/.347/.282)
Bristol: Rob Valido (.307/.364/.479)
Great Falls: Michael Myers (.301/.410/.414; too bad he's 24 years old)

It'll be interesting to see what Valido can for a whole season. I assume he'll be in Winston-Salem next year, right?

Wasn't Wily Mo Pena supposed to be the real deal? :smile:

Anyway, I do think Young will be a better player than Pena. I just don't think it's very smart to give a major league contract to such a young player (I could understand a team doing that with a college player, but not an 18 year old).

Valido will start out at Great Falls or Kannapolis at best. He is just out of high school and has a lot of refining to do at the plate. Frankly, for a SS, I think it is a lot easier to learn to hit if you have the physical tools than to be a smooth and reliable fielder. That is why I rank him above Gonzalez. Andy is still a good prospect and don't read too much into his low BA this year. He was focused on seeing more pitches and working the count, but didn't have the chance to put in the needed time due to his defensive focus. Gonzalez had a ~.350 OBP, even though his SLG numbers were way down. Give him time, he was very raw coming out of HS. Valido, OTOH, was mentioned as high as the 2nd round prior to the draft.

FWIW, I think Valido might turn out to be the best SS of the 2003 draft.

Also agree with you about the HS players and MLB contracts. Those and bonuses are definitely on the decline, and I think that is a good thing.