PDA

View Full Version : The Key Game?

LASOXFAN
09-10-2003, 12:15 PM
In my opinion this is the key game in the 4 game stretch with the Twins. The stated goal by many of the players was to win 3 of 4, not that they wouldn't take a sweep.

Win tonight, goal met, Twins in a hole.

Lose tonight, momentum Twins with a chance for THEIR stated goal, a split. The Twins are really going to come after them tonight to try and turn this thing around.

Let's hope Jon's up to the task and Konerko, Lee and Mags stay hot.

Big, big game.

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 12:17 PM
This is without question the biggest game of the series. Santana is their best pitcher by far, and if we get to him forcing Gardenhire to go to that tired pen, we're in business!

Garland has to have BALLS in this game and just pitch like he's been doing lately, and we're going to be ok. We need a couple runs and I think we're gonna win.

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Garland beating Santana tonight puts a spike in their hearts with our Cy Young candidate looming in their face to sweep em tomorrow--tonight is key

jabrch
09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Guys, I think they are all key the rest of the way. They are all big. We need to win every last one of them in order to drive the nail into the coffin of the Twins and the Royals. I won't call any of these games bigger than any other...until the first time when our Magic number is 2 or 1 and we have a chance to end it all!

Go White Sox!

CHISOXFAN13
09-10-2003, 12:24 PM
If we win tonight, the Twins are done.

I think they looked at this game as the one they really needed to get. If Santana pitches poorly for the second game in a row, I can't see them hanging around.

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Although, yes, they are all key, this one is particularly important because, not only will it ensure us a 2 game pick-up in the series, with Esteban going for us tomorrow it makes the possibility of a sweep very, very attainable. And, y'all know how sweet that would be... :)

FanOf14
09-10-2003, 12:27 PM
I don't think even a sweep will mean the Twins are done. There are still games left in head to head competion, which will give them something to grasp (see last night as an example of them not giving up). I do think that taking 3 out of 4 or a sweep will take the much (not all) the wind out of their sails.

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I don't think even a sweep will mean the Twins are done. There are still games left in head to head competion, which will give them something to grasp (see last night as an example of them not giving up). I do think that taking 3 out of 4 or a sweep will take the much (not all) the wind out of their sails.

True enough, but with the Yanks and BoSox still on the slate, plus those pesky Royals, I like my chances for coming out on top a lot better heading into Friday and being 4 games in front....

South Sider
09-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Yeah....every remaining game is important.
And winning tonight would decide nothing right now.

But imagine how good it would feel to beat the Twinkies 3 out of 3 times and how the Twinkies would feel after loosing 3 important games and facing the next Cy-Young-Winner on the next day.

It all starts in our brain !!!!!!!!

I would breath much easier if they would win tonight

Right now I am so nervous that we get caught down the stretch.

Hopefully Garland will have one of his best games tonight.

Go Sox

FJA
09-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
In my opinion this is the key game in the 4 game stretch with the Twins. The stated goal by many of the players was to win 3 of 4, not that they wouldn't take a sweep.

Lose tonight, momentum Twins with a chance for THEIR stated goal, a split. The Twins are really going to come after them tonight to try and turn this thing around.

Big, big game.

Agreed. Loaiza has been lights out against the Twins this season, so if we can win today, HUGE advantage Sox for the long haul. I don't imagine we'll be swept in Boston (though losing 2 of 3 wouldn't surprise me all that much), and last time around, we FINALLY proved we could win in the Metrodome. If we win tonight and win tomorrow (which I think we will), and set ourselves up for a series win in Minnesota, this might not come down to the last few days after all.

NewyorkSoxFan
09-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
If we win tonight, the Twins are done.

I think they looked at this game as the one they really needed to get. If Santana pitches poorly for the second game in a row, I can't see them hanging around.

Hello all!! Nice to be back.

This will not I repeat "NOT" end it all if we win tonite. We still have to go to Boston, and play the Yankees at home, and they may still be fighting to win the east so they won't be rolling over. As well as they know that we spanked them and they could be our first round opponent and I am sure they want to send a message.

With all that said....I think the Twins and Royals have been relying too much on the strength of schedule thing, and it got KC beat last nite, and if the Twins aren't careful it might do the same to them. The Sox need to focus on winning series if they do that who knows maybe we clinch against the vaunted Yankmees.

NYSF

Randar68
09-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

Big, big game.

Frankly, I think it's silly how every game, we call it, "The biggest Game of the Year," lately.

To be blunt, every game the rest of the year is "The biggest Game of the Year". It's redundant to repeat this over and over and over.

chuckn98229
09-10-2003, 03:18 PM
If the Sox win tonight, will General Disarray rest Thomas, Mags, Konerko, Alomar, Valentin, Crede, and Lee tomorrow because it is a day game after a night game and they will have already won the series????

delben91
09-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
If the Sox win tonight, will General Disarray rest Thomas, Mags, Konerko, Alomar, Valentin, Crede, and Lee tomorrow because it is a day game after a night game and they will have already won the series????

I'd be laughing, but I must admit, for about two seconds I sat there and thought to myself, "He just might do it, he's Jerry Manuel..." :cool:

dougs78
09-10-2003, 03:29 PM
To me this has been the biggest game of the series all along. It is the one game where the Twins have a favorable pitching matchup and thus the one I was worried most.

All that said, if we can beat Johan tonight, it would also look awfully nice to see Loiaza out on the bump tomorrow with three wins under our belt.

LASOXFAN
09-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Frankly, I think it's silly how every game, we call it, "The biggest Game of the Year," lately.

To be blunt, every game the rest of the year is "The biggest Game of the Year". It's redundant to repeat this over and over and over.

Wow, you're so right, thanks for setting all of us straight. We're such "silly" idiots for talking about the significance of this game as it relates to this specific four game series. I feel like such a fool.