PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs are not enough!

longwood
09-10-2003, 12:03 PM
First time poster, long time Sox Fan.

I've seen a lot of messages lately on this board complaining about the Sox schedule for the last 20 games going up against the Twins, KC, Boston and the Yankees.

Personally, I look forward to this schedule. If we can't beat these teams now (especially when the Sox are hot), what makes you think we'll do it in the playoffs? Just making the playoffs is not enough for me. I believe if the Sox continue to power through the remaining games of the schedule they will be in a stronger position for a long playoff run. They would have already proven they can beat the best of the AL rather than being written off before the first pitch post season pitch is thrown.

My post season tickets are already bought, but I would consider it a big waste of time and money if Sox whimpered into the post season only to get embarassed as they did in 2000.

Sports Illustrated has a pretty good article indicating that all possible playoff teams are flawed in some way. Jon Donovan (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/john_donovan/09/08/pitch_0908/index.html) .

The Sox have to capitalize this year. Next year is not an option.

voodoochile
09-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by longwood
First time poster, long time Sox Fan.

I've seen a lot of messages lately on this board complaining about the Sox schedule for the last 20 games going up against the Twins, KC, Boston and the Yankees.

Personally, I look forward to this schedule. If we can't beat these teams now (especially when the Sox are hot), what makes you think we'll do it in the playoffs? Just making the playoffs is not enough for me. I believe if the Sox continue to power through the remaining games of the schedule they will be in a stronger position for a long playoff run. They would have already proven they can beat the best of the AL rather than being written off before the first pitch post season pitch is thrown.

My post season tickets are already bought, but I would consider it a big waste of time and money if Sox whimpered into the post season only to get embarassed as they did in 2000.

Sports Illustrated has a pretty good article indicating that all possible playoff teams are flawed in some way. Jon Donovan (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/john_donovan/09/08/pitch_0908/index.html) .

The Sox have to capitalize this year. Next year is not an option.

I agree and Welcome Aboard :D:

JJAustin69
09-10-2003, 12:07 PM
No home wins since 1959. That has to change.....and now.

MarkV
09-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Welcome longwood! I'm also glad we have a tougher schedule. We play up to our level of competition. We don't play as well against bad teams and we play well against better teams. Plus, this will better prepare us for the playoffs. In 2000, we had an easy schedule down the stretch and played some lackadaisical ball. Hence, we got swept. If Manuel doesn't screw it up for us, I have full confidence that we can win the World Series.

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Welcome longwood and good points, the Sox current roster has the potential to be very solid across the board, provided we don't get hosed by JM the tinkerer

dougs78
09-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Welcome aboard and great post Longwood. I completely agree with you. The key thing for me as far as this schedule works out is that we have control of our own destiny. We have the lead and play the Twins and Royals enough to make sure we can take care of our own business.

I for one think that if this team is playing as it does now, it has as good a shot as anyone as advancing in the playoffs.

South Sider
09-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Good Point everybody . Playing touher Teams prepares us for the upcoming playoffs (hopefully)

What really frightens me is that the Twinkies have such an easy schedule down the stretch (Tigers and these Indians from Ohio I think.... :smile: :smile: and so do the princess of KC

So every Sox loss vs the Yanks, BoSox and Princess (which I already rule out of the playoff picture) could really hurt us.

Lets hope for the best.

And as long as our hitters doesn't want to hit a dinger at every plate apperance I am very confident.

Just play fundamental Baseball please.....then our Starters will bring us the pennant !!!!!!!!

uuupppps......is this R.White over the street ??????

Grab him and send him to hell !!!!!!!!! :smile: :smile: