PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf Drops the Ball Again

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 10:57 AM
I, like many of you, will be parked at my computer on Friday morning at about 9:45 in an attempt to chase down some playoff tickets.

That said, have you noticed that our beloved Chairman and cohorts have once again managed to snatch public relations defeat from the jaws of victory by pricing Sox playoff tickets higher than our crosstown rivals? Sox tickets will range from $30 in the upper deck to $50 at Club Level and lower boxes, and $40 for the bleachers. Meanwhile, the Tribune Company, which has taken a lot of heat this year for their in-house scalping scam and who, undeniably, have the hotter product in this market, have priced their tickets ranging from $20 to $50, with the fabulously-in-demand Wrigley bleacher seats going for a mere $35 a pop.

I haven't seen anything yet, but I suppose--as in 2000--that Sox parking will also be hiked. Heck, maybe they could even kick churros up to $5 each.

Jer, I gotta hand it to you--if it wasn't for bad decisions you wouldn't make any decisions at all.

:reinsy
"Hey, if I priced my tickets at $1,000,000 each I'd only have to sell two of them to make a killing--and think of all the money I'd save on paying ushers and food service staff--sounds like a plan!"

mandmandm
09-10-2003, 11:04 AM
If it means Colon on the team next year I say go for it. Half price Monday, Pepsi Tuesday, Sunday kids day, internet specials, the organization has given Chicago many affordable options for seeing the Sox this year. Demand for playoffs is much greater than supply. Time to cash in.

Randar68
09-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Hey Procol, do you realize that the Cubs will offer no refunds on tickets? The money must go towards season tickets (IIRC, but might just be single-game tix) the following season or be lost!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, I'll take the higher cost with the chance for a refund, thank you!

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
If it means Colon on the team next year I say go for it. Half price Monday, Pepsi Tuesday, Sunday kids day, internet specials, the organization has given Chicago many affordable options for seeing the Sox this year. Demand for playoffs is much greater than demand. Time to cash in.

I hardly think that whether the Sox sign Colon or not is dependent on making $50-75,000 more on--if we don't win, heaven forbid--one or two playoff games. That's but a drop in the bucket compared to what his or other free agent signings will demand and have a lot more to do with JR's willingness to pony up to keep us in serious WS contention.

How 'bout showing a little bit of public relations savvy and a little luv for the Sox faithful who have been dragging their butts out to the park all year?

Irishsox1
09-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Were talking $5 to $10 difference between the Sox playoff tickets and Flubbies playoff tickets. At least the Sox didn't open up a ticket scalping company!!!! If the Sox tickets were $50 for upperdeck, I still would pay that. Come on, were talking about the White Sox in the playoffs???

Last World Series Win 1917!!!!!
Last World Series 1959!!!!

jabrch
09-10-2003, 11:12 AM
I will happily pay whatever he charges me to go to see the Sox in the Playoffs. HAPPILY... The team won't suffer any negative publicity from this. Do you think they will have a problem selling the 9,000 available tickets? Um, I think not...

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Hey Procol, do you realize that the Cubs will offer no refunds on tickets? The money must go towards season tickets (IIRC, but might just be single-game tix) the following season or be lost!!!!!!

No, I hadn't heard that--that is pretty disgusting and fits in well with the Tribune's scalping scam. Still, don't see why the ability to get one's money back--in other words doing what is right and reasonable unlike the Cubs in this instance--should mean for higher prices up front.

fledgedrallycap
09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Hey, it the playoffs! What were you expecting? Willy Wonka Kids Days in Game 7 versus the Yankees?

SaltyPretzel
09-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I will happily pay whatever he charges me to go to see the Sox in the Playoffs. HAPPILY... The team won't suffer any negative publicity from this. Do you think they will have a problem selling the 9,000 available tickets? Um, I think not...

Amen.

MarkV
09-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

MLB sets the prices for postseason tickets, not the individual teams. A specific number of seats are allotted to season ticket holders, and MLB and the media outlets i.e. Fox and ESPN get however many tickets they want (most of which are given away for free to corporate sponsors and other bigshots). Then MLB sets the ticket prices to maximize revenue, yet keep a somewhat reasonable ticket price. Because each ballpark is different, ticket prices vary.

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Were talking $5 to $10 difference between the Sox playoff tickets and Flubbies playoff tickets. At least the Sox didn't open up a ticket scalping company!!!! If the Sox tickets were $50 for upperdeck, I still would pay that. Come on, were talking about the White Sox in the playoffs???

Last World Series Win 1917!!!!!
Last World Series 1959!!!!

As I said, I'll be dueling on the internet for tickets on Friday morning, too. However, within the context of the big Chicago baseball picture, I don't think JR has chosen very wisely in pricing Sox tickets higher than what the Grubs are charging.

voodoochile
09-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Where did you get the 9K figure? Is that all that is left? If so, anyone know why there are that few available?

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by MarkV
MLB sets the prices for postseason tickets, not the individual teams. A specific number of seats are allotted to season ticket holders, and MLB and the media outlets i.e. Fox and ESPN get however many tickets they want (most of which are given away for free to corporate sponsors and other bigshots). Then MLB sets the ticket prices to maximize revenue, yet keep a somewhat reasonable ticket price. Because each ballpark is different, ticket prices vary.

If this is the case, then JR, you are forgiven--for this. Seems rather amazing, however, that with the smaller size and glamor of Wrigley and whatall and all the bigwigs and celebs who will be clamoring for getting their face-time on TV (to say nothing of the fact that they have a higher season ticket base than we do) that Sox tickets would end up higher than Cub tickets--how does that work?

mandmandm
09-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Your answer is above.

A specific number of seats are allotted to season ticket holders, and MLB and the media outlets i.e. Fox and ESPN get however many tickets they want (most of which are given away for free to corporate sponsors and other bigshots).

mandmandm
09-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
If this is the case, then JR, you are forgiven--for this. Seems rather amazing, however, that with the smaller size and glamor of Wrigley and whatall and all the bigwigs and celebs who will be clamoring for getting their face-time on TV (to say nothing of the fact that they have a higher season ticket base than we do) that Sox tickets would end up higher than Cub tickets--how does that work?

Simple, Sox have a better team, better players, better ballpark, better food, better beer. You pay for quality. You want a Lexus or a Toyota?

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Your answer is above.

A specific number of seats are allotted to season ticket holders, and MLB and the media outlets i.e. Fox and ESPN get however many tickets they want (most of which are given away for free to corporate sponsors and other bigshots).

OK--smaller stadium, more season ticket holders at Wrigley, and MLB and media outlets get as many tickets as they want for big corporate sponsors. The Cubs are the big attraction in this market as we know, and especially for the out-of-town corporate and celebrity types. So that explains higher ticket prices at the Cell, how? Artificial price inflation sticking it to Joe Average Sox fans?

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Simple, Sox have a better team, better players, better ballpark, better food, better beer. You pay for quality. You want a Lexus or a Toyota?

C'mon this is not a pee-pee match between Sox fans and Cub fans...

mandmandm
09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
C'mon this is not a pee-pee match between Sox fans and Cub fans...

I forgot, no humor allowed. Note to self, must take White Sox and baseball seriously at all times. Maybe if you call the Sox you can get an answer.

MarkV
09-10-2003, 11:36 AM
OK--smaller stadium, more season ticket holders at Wrigley, and MLB and media outlets get as many tickets as they want for big corporate sponsors. The Cubs are the big attraction in this market as we know, and especially for the out-of-town corporate and celebrity types. So that explains higher ticket prices at the Cell, how? Artificial price inflation sticking it to Joe Average Sox fans?

MLB sets the prices, not Jerry. I was at games 6 and 7 of the 2001 World Series, game 1 of the 2001 NLCS, game 5 of the 2001 ARI/STL NLDS, and game 1 of the 1999 ARI/NYM NLDS, and the ticket prices for their playoff tickets are around the same for our postseason tickets. Plus, people were selling 2001 WS tix for $1,000's on ebay. MLB knows that demand for Cubs playoff tix will be higher on the streets than Sox tix. That also goes into how they set prices.

thepaulbowski
09-10-2003, 11:38 AM
I forgot, no humor allowed. Note to self, must take White Sox and baseball seriously at all times. Maybe if you call the Sox you can get an answer.

Some people would just rather complain than find out why. It really is unbeliable that somebody started a thread complaing about this.

I believe this is overdue.

:threadsucks

TDog
09-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by MarkV

This is what I understood from my experience buying playoff tickets in 2000. I drove down from Wisconsin twice to stand in line and buy tickets for separate playoff rounds. That was a lot more enjoyable than driving back down in November to get my refund.

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Some people would just rather complain than find out why. It really is unbeliable that somebody started a thread complaing about this.

I believe this is overdue.

:threadsucks

You're entitled to your opinion--I guess I should just be satisfied to pay more for tickets than people across town whose tickets are more in demand and that Mr. Reinsdorf--or in this case MLB--will allow me to do so. In fact, I should probably be grateful to pay more. It all makes sense, now.

34rancher
09-10-2003, 12:01 PM
hEY AT LEAST THE SOX WILL SELL 9,000 TICKETS.

Whereas the Cubs will say they have 9000 tickets, which will probably be sold out anyway.
Yet, amazingly Premium will have 8,999 tickets available for $200 each..........

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 12:12 PM
You pay for quality. You want a Lexus or a Toyota?

I'd rather have a mustang! :redneck

steff
09-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Oh geez.. JR gets blamed for something he has NO control over.. again.

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by steff

Hey there Sally Sox! :D:

FanOf14
09-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Why is the lower end of the Sox tix more expensive than the Cubs tickets? Not blaming anyone with my question, just curious if there was a justification given or if MLB is screwing with us again...

steff
09-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Hey there Sally Sox! :D:

Ugh. Bad, bad memories...

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Ugh. Bad, bad memories...

Heh heh heh :cool:

pudge
09-10-2003, 12:43 PM

No kidding, no kidding.

kittle42
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM

I actually heard someone say at the Cell last night that Wrigley had much better food. What?!

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I actually heard someone say at the Cell last night that Wrigley had much better food. What?!

That is seriously disfunctional--probably thinks the bathrooms smell better, too.

QueerGirrl
09-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

You should have smacked that fool in the face and kicked his sorry ass right out of the park. No one disses our food and gets away with it!

:smile: