PDA

View Full Version : Rooney/Farmer Question

Paulwny
09-10-2003, 10:37 AM
In the 7th inning last night they were discussing Buffalo, NY. I missed the beginning, does anyone know what led to the discussion?
Maybe this belongs in the PL

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
In the 7th inning last night they were discussing Buffalo, NY. I missed the beginning, does anyone know what led to the discussion?
Maybe this belongs in the PL

Lord only knows, really, but I heard that section and I think it was precipitated by a discussion of minor league teams and stadiums which eventually landed on Buffalo. As the great King Xerxes has often pointed out, Farmer's mental word associations and the many rabbits that are subsequently chased are a phenomenon which must give we mortals pause.

voodoochile
09-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Lord only knows, really, but I heard that section and I think it was precipitated by a discussion of minor league teams and stadiums which eventually landed on Buffalo. As the great King Xerxes has often pointed out, Farmer's mental word associations and the many rabbits that are subsequently chased are a phenomenon which must give we mortals pause.

Right, Rooney probably said something about Alomar's homerun having wings...

alohafri
09-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Farmer's nonsequitors are at least entertaining...try listening to Ryne, er, Ron Santo and Pat Hughes sometime. Talk about a broadcasting fiasco!

FarmerAndy
09-10-2003, 02:28 PM
The funniest thing about Ed Farmer is how he pretends to be MR. Notre Dame alumni.

I wish John Rooney would remind Ed that he didn't go to Notre Dame.

mandmandm
09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
The funniest thing about Ed Farmer is how he pretends to be MR. Notre Dame alumni.

He suffers from the most annoying southside Rudy syndrome. Mr. Wills is in the same boat. I actually like listening to both guys but once the ND talk starts the radio goes off.

bc2k
09-10-2003, 02:44 PM

Farmer didn't go to Nortre Dame?

FarmerAndy
09-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Farmer didn't go to Nortre Dame?

I did a little research, and have never found a thing about Ed Farmer going to Notre Dame. As far as I know, he was drafted out of high school. I know that Ed's father went to Notre Dame, but the only thing I found on Ed was that he spent a little time at Chicago State University.

That's why it's hilarious that he's talked for years as if he is a Notre Dame guy. I just can't believe that after all this time nobody has ever called him out on it.

KingXerxes
09-10-2003, 03:42 PM
:rooney

"Now what was it you wanted to get off your chest Ed?"

:farmer

"You see John, a lot of our listeners have been lead to believe that I am somehow connected to the University of Notre Dame. Am I connected to the university? Can't stay. One can never say never..........ever. But I do understand the confusion surrounding where I did or didn't say or did or didn't go to school.......or not."

:rooney

"Huh?"

:farmer

"You see it's this way John. Many things about Notre Dame in general, but South Bend, Indiana in particular are very confusing to our listeners our there - in radioland I mean - not South Bend specifically but I don't want to exclude any of our listeners in South Bend either, so if you're listening in South Bend - thank you - it's to you that we owe our livelihoods, but I mean that to all listeners including those in South Bend. Anyway, as I think back I think all the confusion started when Harry Arndt broke into the big leagues with Detroit in 1902. You see Harry was born in South Bend. He was then traded during the season to Baltimore. Now it wasn't the Baltimore that everybody's thinking of - well the city was and still is, but the team wasn't or isn't....I'm not sure, because the Baltimore that Harry was traded to soon moved to New York and became the Highlanders - who soon changed their names to - you guessed it - The Yankees. Now let's fastforward to 1915, although from our perspective that would be to fastbackward to 1915, well anyway that is the year when another South Bend native - Ken Crawford - marked his major league debut with Baltimore, but again not the Baltimore that our entire listening audience - with the possible exception of some of Ken Crawford's relative in South Bend - is thinking of. No these were the Baltimore Terrapins of the Federal League - that's right - Federal League. You see folks there used to be three major leagues in baseball, and not just the Federal League, but the Players League and the Union Association, as well as the Old American Association, and the forerunner of the National League - the National Association - although they all didn't play at the same time. Well anyway go to 1936 when South Bend native Ollie Bejma broke in with St. Louis - but again, not the St. Louis that everybody is thinking of, these were the St. Louis Browns who later on became that's right - The Baltimore Orioles. And these are the Orioles that everybody is thinking of. Well the South Bend confusion and deception doesn't stop there - far from it - Bill Edgerton tried to top all his South Bend bretheren by "double dipping" if you will at confusing our listeners. While being born in South Bend he made his debut in 1966 with Kansas City - although they weren't the Royals back then, they were the Athletics who had arrived some years earlier from Philadelphia, adn were soon heading out to Oakland, but then this guy goes to Seattle, but not the Mariners - no these were the Pilots who headed out to Milwaukee to become the Brewers - but not the original Brewers - they were in the American League in 1902 or thereabout, but soon moved to St. Louis and became the Browns and then the Orioles that everyone is thinking about - not the Cardinals. So as you can plainly see, if people are confused as to where I went to college, they needn't look any further than South Bend, Indiana and its history of confusion."

sox_fan_forever
09-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

ROFL! Another good one. Great job. :gulp:

Brian26
09-10-2003, 05:23 PM

LOL!!!!

He didn't go to Notre Dame? My god, all of these years of listening to him, I thought he had gone there. That's funny.
Did he go to Stanford? He's always talking about the Cardinal.