PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Gold Glove Candidate

hold2dibber
09-10-2003, 09:21 AM
I realize that Gold Glove awards are very subjective and are often won based upon reputation more than actual performance - so they're not really very meaningful. With that said, I must say that Mark Buehrle is one of the best defensive pitchers I have ever seen, and he surely deserves serious consideration for a Gold Glove. He is fast and agile around the mound, he gets to everything hit anywhere near him, he makes good, accurate throws to the bases, he almost never makes a bad decision regarding what to do with the ball, and he has an absolutely devastating pick-off move that not only turns baserunners into outs, but basically prevents teams from even trying to run against him. It really is fun to watch him field his position.

Jurr
09-10-2003, 09:24 AM
Didn't think about that, but it's very true. He should get a look.
Buehrle has a great pickoff move. Toriiiiiiiiiii almost got picked, didn't he?
I think Maggs is one day going to win one, as well. That is great-having a triple crown and gold glove candidate living in your right field grass for years!

faneidde
09-10-2003, 09:51 AM
I think Miguel Olivo is the only White Sox player with a chance at winning a gold glove anytime in the near future. I'm not sure about his catching skills, but he has an absolute cannon for an arm.

jabrch
09-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
Didn't think about that, but it's very true. He should get a look.
Buehrle has a great pickoff move. Toriiiiiiiiiii almost got picked, didn't he?
I think Maggs is one day going to win one, as well. That is great-having a triple crown and gold glove candidate living in your right field grass for years!

Whoa Jurr....

I love Mags...but TRIPLE CROWN and Gold Glove? What are you smoking. I have a hard time seeing him ever hitting 50+ HRs to win a HR title and still keeping a .320 average, much less getting into the .340-.350 zone. As far as Mags winning a gold glove, I don't see that either. He just doesn't have the same arm as the STUD DEFENSIVE RFs. As long as Ichiro is in the AL - he SHOULD get the RF Gold Glove every single year. Ichiro is the best defensive RF I have seen since Clemente.

I love Mags and I want to keep him here for a long long time. But I'd bet the farm that Mags never wins either a Triple Crown or a Gold Glove.

voodoochile
09-10-2003, 11:12 AM
I agree with the Buehrle GG possibility, in fact, the Sox have the best group of fielding pitchers I can ever remember the team having. Loaiza, Garland and Colon all field their position well.

Randar68
09-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
I think Miguel Olivo is the only White Sox player with a chance at winning a gold glove anytime in the near future. I'm not sure about his catching skills, but he has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Crede has the potential. If he starts hitting and people start recognizing him, he will get annual consideration. Accurate and strong arm and good range, especially to his left.

If the Sox keep Alomar, he'd have a chance based on history, recognition, and lack of stud defensive second-basemen in general.

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 12:26 PM
I remember Crede's first start at a game in Oakland last year and in an early inning the folks around me (in 4th row by 3rd base) were all saying "WHO IS THAT GUY!?!" after he created three tough chances and put outs to close out an inning on balls that would have easily been scored hits on a Royce-like 3B

He's clearly got GG potential, though Burly-mon as a nominee for pitcher position this year is very interesting

CHISOXFAN13
09-10-2003, 12:27 PM
While his repuation will probably never allow him to even be mentioned as GG candidate, I am just blown away at the improvement Lee has made in the outfield.

His throw to second to keep the tying run at first in the ninth yesterday was awesome.

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 12:34 PM
I am just blown away at the improvement Lee has made in the outfield.

We may have to reconsider the "all the range of a lawnchair" moniker we hung on him some time back ;-)

As much as D was linked to 2000 Sox as their key weakness, the D overall has been looking pretty decent---some key plays this week against the Twinks at critical points--look at all their LOB last two days--things could've been much different

some other notable improvements are Manos/Graf at short over mostly Royce (was he playig dodge ball out there?)