PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Expos?

Clembasbal
09-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Interesting Article...because if this dream were to happen it would only efffect the Scrubs attendance.

Da' Spos (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/7/072900-5347-036.html)

Nice dream though.

MarqSox
09-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Interesting Article...because if this dream were to happen it would only efffect the Scrubs attendance.

Da' Spos (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/7/072900-5347-036.html)

Nice dream though.
No, it would have zero effect on the Cubs. Tourists wouldn't come to Chicago and say "oooh, the Expos are playing in U.S. Cellular Field." Gimme a break, they'd say "How do you get to Wrigley" regardless what else is going on. Unless the Expos bring with them a hopping postgame bar scene and plop it in Armour Park, they would do nothing but draw the half the family gate away from the Sox.

No use arguing the point though, this is just Sullivan's pipe dream.

Hokiesox
09-10-2003, 07:30 AM
BRING THEM TO WASHINGTON! :angry: :angry:

(Sorry about the caps, but we here in DC are pretty passionate about this.)

I wouldn't root for them, but I'd love to see NL ball, and my office is 2 blocks from the proposed stadium site! There is no other city more willing to pack in 30-40k a night than DC. G-D peter angelos up in Baltimore won't allow it though.

MarqSox
09-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox

I wouldn't root for them, but I'd love to see NL ball, and my office is 2 blocks from the proposed stadium site! There is no other city more willing to pack in 30-40k a night than DC. G-D peter angelos up in Baltimore won't allow it though.
Right, because Washington has proved time and again it will support baseball ... oh wait, the Senators failed THREE TIMES already!

Hokiesox
09-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Yes the Senators failed 3 times, but times are different now. All we read from the Washington Post is a weekly editorial (and not just in the sports pages) about how DC is a perfect place for a team. We're dying for one. We have a major sports team in every other sport, and they all draw EXTREMELY well. The only season DC is missing is the summer baseball. There's no reason not to put the expos in DC.

mandmandm
09-10-2003, 08:42 AM
I do not miss Sully as beat writer one bit.

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Right, because Washington has proved time and again it will support baseball ... oh wait, the Senators failed THREE TIMES already!

The DC area has mushroomed in population since the last version of the woebegone Senators deserted the city (and it was twice, not three times). The counties and cities of Northern Virginia (and they are separate, non-inclusive entities in the Commonwealth), which is also seriously vying for the Expos, have probably tripled or quadrupled their populations since the early '70s.

The DC area could support a team now. When the first Senators were there from the early 1900s to 1960, DC was a sleepy Southern town wherein the growing Federal infrastructure had not kicked in (imagine Raleigh, NC w/ a major league team in the 1950s--DC was hardly in a situation to compete with NY, Chicago, Boston, Philly, etc.). Nowadays, the DC area hosts a sprawling bureaucracy (that's another thread) and all the corporate, legal and civilian infrastructure that entails and it's also a burgeoning hi-tech region as well. These folks have time and money on their hands, and that time is not used very efficiently by driving up to 2-1/2 hours up to Camden Yards to see a baseball game.

bobj4400
09-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Another team playing half its games at USCF would absolutely be the death blow of the White Sox...no wonder this article has been written by a Cubune writer. I would venture to say that during the summer 60-80% of WS attendance is drawn from families and students. If the Expos (owned by MLB) were there, they would almost definitely have to have cheaper tickets to entice customers to see a team they dont really care about. Who is it that is enticed by cheaper tickets and promotions?? That's right, families and students...

Another attempt to undermine the White Sox by the Cubune in my estimation.

MisterB
09-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Sounds like Sullivan's been smoking his lawn. If any metropolitan area can handle 3 ML teams It's New York City. It has a population of 21 million compared to Chicago's 9 million, and it's supported 3 teams in the past. Of course Steinbrenner would put out a hit on Selig before he'd let anyone cut into his profit margin.

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Is Sullivan on drugs? Why did I waste my time reading that?

inta
09-10-2003, 10:38 AM
what an idiot. tribco must be paying him to spin propaganda in indy to try to get more wgn viewership or something...

no way JR would approve this even if it was a possibility, he didnt even want the fire to play in the cell while they revamped soldiers....

Procol Harum
09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Another team playing half its games at USCF would absolutely be the death blow of the White Sox...no wonder this article has been written by a Cubune writer.

And another National League team? No way even the Cubs would want that and certainly the Sox would veto it. Sullivan obviously was having a tough time finding anything to write about.

xil357
09-10-2003, 11:04 AM

Move the Twins back to DC as the Senators. Maybe even call them the DC Senators....

Move the Expos to Havana and open up trade with Cuba. Or, move them to New York to compete in that huge market.

soxtalker
09-10-2003, 11:08 AM

If you use this same logic, the Chicago Bulls should never have been allowed, as two earlier franchises failed. Times change, as others have pointed out.

By the way, what were the three franchises that failed? I remember that teams became the Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers.

soxtalker
09-10-2003, 11:12 AM
This isn't a terribly good idea. If MLB wants to create a 3-team city, it should be NYC. Put them in NJ and let them siphon off some of the Yankees fans.

MarqSox
09-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
By the way, what were the three franchises that failed? I remember that teams became the Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers.
I thought I read somewhere that the old St. Louis Browns spent time at one point as the Senators and then folded into oblivion. Did I just imagine that?

jabrch
09-10-2003, 11:41 AM
would he ever let another team in Chicago and in Comiskey. No way, no how. You think our attendance can be problematic now? Just imagine if casual fans had one more option? The same 12,000 who are there every night will still come. But what differentiates a crowd of 35,000 from a crowd of 12,000 is (check my math here folks) usually abour 23,000 casual fans. They may be casual Sox fans...but still casual fans.

(numbers are used for illustration only...)

ewokpelts
09-10-2003, 12:31 PM
...it might work...cub fans would like it, cuz they can see up to 9 more games a year"at home"(vs sox/spos at the cell)...jerry might lke it cuz it'll throw some heat off of him and his attendance issues, and the spos would be able to tap into the deep pockets of corporate chicago...although the sox may have to split ad money with the spos..it could be a win/win.....sides...another Chicago team beating the cubs sound nice to sox fans
Gene

soxtalker
09-10-2003, 01:35 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the old St. Louis Browns spent time at one point as the Senators and then folded into oblivion. Did I just imagine that?

No, the St. Louis Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Orioles. Ironic, isn't it, that they may be the major obstacle standing in the way of DC getting a new team.

Hokiesox
09-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
The DC area could support a team now. When the first Senators were there from the early 1900s to 1960, DC was a sleepy Southern town wherein the growing Federal infrastructure had not kicked in (imagine Raleigh, NC w/ a major league team in the 1950s--DC was hardly in a situation to compete with NY, Chicago, Boston, Philly, etc.). Nowadays, the DC area hosts a sprawling bureaucracy (that's another thread) and all the corporate, legal and civilian infrastructure that entails and it's also a burgeoning hi-tech region as well. These folks have time and money on their hands, and that time is not used very efficiently by driving up to 2-1/2 hours up to Camden Yards to see a baseball game.

In deference to the argument against DC, it's not a 2.5 hour drive from NOVA to Camden Yards, it's only a little more than an hour, about 1.75 hours in rush hour. Plus, the local commuter train runs a special game train from Union Station in DC to camden yards for each game. I happen to know many people who take that train and would love to stop that and attend games in the district or NOVA.

The only reason DC doesn't have a team is because Selig and Angelos are buddy-buddy.

jortafan
09-10-2003, 03:39 PM
The only reason DC doesn't have a team is because Selig and Angelos are buddy-buddy.

Actually, the only reason that DC doesn't have a team is because both Bob Short and the Griffith family were a**holes. Those teams, particularly the latter version that now exists in Arlington, Texas, should never have been allowed to leave. The Dallas-Fort Worth area could have waited until the expansion of '77 to get a ballclub.

bc2k
09-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I do not miss Sully as beat writer one bit.

Yeah, Sully has been pissing me off lately.

adsit
09-10-2003, 07:29 PM
An Expos move could affect us indirectly. Charlotte (and Portland) are in the running as well. Knights Stadium in Fort Mill was designed and built with expansion to MLB standards in mind. When Pohlad wanted to shop the Twins a few years back (well, at least one of the times), Charlotte was a candidate.

I don't think Charlotte has a population base to support MLB... they would never fill a suburban park for 81 dates. But money talks, and they're a big banking city. That's how they got the Panthers.

So if the Spos move and displace the AAA team in Charlotte, we're shopping for a new AAA city. I vote Montreal.

ode to veeck
09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
just what we need in chicago, another cute cuddly losing NL team,

that said I think Chicago could esily support three MLB teams, being the great sports city that it is

...and uncle jerry could pocket a few extra percent off the additional consessions-

--but we'd have to charge the Spos double rent if they wanted Nancy to play for them too ...