PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Schedule

Meixner007
09-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Quick question. Let's say we make the playoffs. Also let's say that we probably have the worst record of all the teams so we would be the visitors. Have they set a start date for the ALDS? I mean when and where would the games be played? Basically all I'm asking is what would be the dates of the two home games at the cell, and would they be day or night games.

fhqwhgads
09-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Tangentially related: Whoever wins the Central will probably face the Yankmees in the first round, because NYY and BOS can't meet in the ALDS. No matter which team wins the AL Central, they'd better damn well at least put up a fight. I don't want to see this division embarrassed by a 3 and out.

Damn Yankmees... :angry:

Lip Man 1
09-09-2003, 10:53 PM
No specifics yet because the top seed still hasn't been determined. it'll probably be New York but Oakland isn't that far behind.

When you get to the playoffs ALL teams are deadly but given the choice of heading for Oakland / Seattle or playing New York, I'll take the Yanks for three reasons.

1. The games will be on in primetime, not the afternoon.

2. The Sox have had some success in Yankee Stadium the past three years.

3. The West Coast jinx is too much for Manager Gandhi to overcome.

No specific dates or times have been announced yet....but let's win the division first OK?

Lip

ode to veeck
09-09-2003, 11:02 PM
let's win the division first OK?

Anyway we can anonymously ship a case of Twinkies to the Sox dugout tomorrow and Thursday?

Tragg
09-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Is the rule that the wild-card team can't play its own division winner in round 1 still in effect? If so, our opponent will be determined by who wins the wild card.
And they won't set the schedule until the yanks have clinched - then all prime time games will be doled out to them.

Blueprint1
09-10-2003, 12:02 AM
In 2000 the Yankees didnt even win 90 games but they got all the primetime games in the division series. Meanwhile the sox finished with the most wins and got the early games. I had to listen to a football guy call the games.

jabrch
09-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Is the rule that the wild-card team can't play its own division winner in round 1 still in effect? If so, our opponent will be determined by who wins the wild card.
And they won't set the schedule until the yanks have clinched - then all prime time games will be doled out to them.

The WC won't play their own division. Lets say NYY and Oak hold on and win their divisions. Our oppenent would be decided based on who is the WC. If Boston wins the WC, we'd play Oakland. If Seattle wins the WC, we'd play NYY.

Me personally, I'd rather play NYY. But frankly, I want to get there first.

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 12:11 AM
If Boston wins the wild card, and New York finishes with the top record in baseball, then we'll face New York because we're the division winner with the worst record. We would also have to play the first 2 in New York.

If Boston wins the division, then we would see Boston in the first round in Boston.

Now if NY wins the division, and let's say Seattle wins the wild card, then we'll end up with Oakland, because the division winner with the best record (NY) faces the wild card. Once again, we're on the road.

If Seattle wins the division, and Oakland takes the wild card, then we get Seattle, on the road.

The only way we get home field advantage in the playoffs, is if the wild card team advances to the second round. A division winner gets home field over the wild card regardless of record. Of course, the AL will end up with homefield in the World Series because of the All Star Game.

In the playoffs, is home field really an advantage? We haven't won a playoff game in Chicago since Game 1 of the World Series in 1959.

A.T. Money
09-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
The WC won't play their own division. Lets say NYY and Oak hold on and win their divisions. Our oppenent would be decided based on who is the WC. If Boston wins the WC, we'd play Oakland. If Seattle wins the WC, we'd play NYY.

Me personally, I'd rather play NYY. But frankly, I want to get there first.

You have it backwards. If Boston wins the WC, we get New York. If Seattle wins it, we get Oakland.

Bisco Stu
09-10-2003, 01:08 AM
I hope it's Oakland, cause me getting a ticket shouldn't be that difficult. I don't care who we play in the ALDS as far as "easiest opponent" goes, cause it's going to be a good team either way.