PDA

View Full Version : Where's Friendly Bob Adams when you need him...

Tragg
09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
No, I'm not suggesting a loan for JR. But a national sponsor. Friendly Bob is the reason I am a Sox fan. I grew up in Lafayette Louisiana. Why the Sox? Because they were BROADCAST into Lafayette, La (radio) until the early 1970s, compliments of the sponsor, Friendly Bob. I had five years (most of which were the worst seasons ever)to learn to love them. I did live my first 6 months of life in chicago, which didn't hurt, but it is friendly Bob who brought the Sox home.

And that is the reason the world is strewn with Cub fans - WGN and Harry Carey on WGN. You wouldn't believe the number of Cub fans in New Orleans. Well, if you grew up in the 1980s or 1990s, you had either the Braves or the Cubs jammed down your throat. It would be one or the other. Had with Harry v. Skip, it's pretty clear why so many would chose the Cubs.
Bring back Friendly Bob!!! You can listen and watch the Sox, while mending your busted knees!

Procol Harum
09-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
No, I'm not suggesting a loan for JR. But a national sponsor. Friendly Bob is the reason I am a Sox fan. I grew up in Lafayette Louisiana. Why the Sox? Because they were BROADCAST into Lafayette, La (radio) until the early 1970s, compliments of the sponsor, Friendly Bob. I had five years (most of which were the worst seasons ever)to learn to love them. I did live my first 6 months of life in chicago, which didn't hurt, but it is friendly Bob who brought the Sox home.

And that is the reason the world is strewn with Cub fans - WGN and Harry Carey on WGN. You wouldn't believe the number of Cub fans in New Orleans. Well, if you grew up in the 1980s or 1990s, you had either the Braves or the Cubs jammed down your throat. It would be one or the other. Had with Harry v. Skip, it's pretty clear why so many would chose the CubsMy Chicago ties are tenuous at best.

Bring back Friendly Bob!!! You can listen and watch the Sox, while mending your busted knees!

Outstanding, Tragg! Who'd'a thunk that Friendly Bob was doing so much good in the world back then? Seriously, I didn't know ol' Bob was bringing Sox broadcasts to radio stations outside Chicago--I wonder how many other Sox fans in disparate, unusual places might be out there as the result of Brother Bob's unknowing missionary work on behalf of the Pale Hose? Bless you Bob Adams in whatever celestial corporate heaven you now make your home!

Tragg
09-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Well, I don't know what those who had to pay Friendly Bob's interest rates had to say about him.... but I sure like the man!
Seriously, though, it will be tough to beat the Cubs perception wise because their national perception is so much greater than ours, thanks to WGN. The good news is that with a)the cubs cutting down on non-weekend WGN broadcasts and with Chump doing the broadcasting, the recruits will be much fewer in number the likeable figure who drew so many youngsters into the web of sin - Harry Carey - is, sadly gone,

Reichardt
09-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Give Friendly Bob a call at ANDOVER3-2020 :smile:

adsit
09-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Reichardt
Give Friendly Bob a call at ANDOVER3-2020 :smile:

Back in the Red Rush/Bob Elston days? Slightly before my time. I remember the Bob Adams commercials, didn't know their Sox connection. Cool memory, thanks for sharing.

Reichardt
09-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by adsit
Back in the Red Rush/Bob Elston days? Slightly before my time. I remember the Bob Adams commercials, didn't know their Sox connection. Cool memory, thanks for sharing.

My last memory of Friendly Bob was around 74-75 in the Harry Caray - Bill Mercer days. In Rich Lindberg's Stuck on the Sox book he relays several funny stories re: Bob Elson's devotion to squeezing a Bob Adams promo into a Sox broadcast