PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts from Mon. 9.8

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 12:36 PM
While at the game last nite....I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman, sitting in the seats next to me. He was alone, but couldnt help but overhear the many different baseball related subjects I was engaged in with many of the others who sit near me. He chimed in on a subject, and after a while, I found out he was from Kokomo IN, near Indy, and often drives 5 hours to get here, rent a hotel nearby, watch 2 or 3 gms in a row. I remarked how that he was a dedicated fan. He then told me a few stories on how he watched the Sox thru the 1950's, and how it was easy for him and his friends to attend games since he was African-american, from the south side. I then asked him what his perception of the Media Notion that there are more cub fans in the US etc etc. He said he remembered Chicago being a Sox Town, and how the Air Raid sirens solidified that thought. He agreed that the Medias exclusive "coverage" of that team has Of Course, made for many more fans that normal. Who the hell would like a losing team if it werent being Shoved Down Our Collective Throats that Losing is Good, Wrigley is beautiful etc etc.
Definitely interesting

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Point being.....this guy is a DieHard Loyal fan that follows them from afar, like some of us do here. in spite of the lack of/negative Media Coverage, The sox have still managed to Keep their fan base, however much it has Eroded thru Reinsdorfs Actions (perception is reality) and the Medias Love for the Cubs (perception is reality...again). To the Media:
Were Here........Were just being Ignored/Maligned

34 Inch Stick
09-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Did you ask him why he thought the Beach Boys sang about Kokomo when the song is about Caribbean islands?