PDA

View Full Version : CLTV and WGN Smear Campaign Continues

maurice
09-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Many speculated how the broadcast media would cover the Sox / Twins series, following the orgy of media coverage poured on the morst recent Cubs / Cards series. The verdict is in:

As reported in other threads, Cubune TV coverage of the Sox series was disgraceful. Both WGN and CLTV started their Sox coverage by claiming that the park was empty on Monday night. CLTV went so far as to show videotape of the Cell taken at least an hour before game time, noting that the park was pretty empty and that some of the fans present were from out of town. Missing was the obvious conclusion that the other 30,000 people were still commuting after working on a Monday. (Perhaps they could get former Cub employee Lee Elia to explain the concept.) The segment also inexplicably used video of Cubs fans in Milwaukee. (Guess they lost the footage of the hundreds of Sox fans in Detroit, a significantly further destination.) CLTV failed to even mention that the Sox actually won the game and took sole possession of first place until ten minutes later in the broadcast. This is understandable, because results are not relevant and attendence is the REAL issue. Also notably absent from the broadcast were any interviews with Sox or Twins players (though stale interviews of the Sausage Beater and Carrie Wood were included on a Cub off day). Other outlets reported that players for both teams were asked about the crowd and unanimously gave glowing reviews. Denny Hocking went so far as to say that the Cell contains "the best road crowd" in the majors, high praise indeed from an arch-rival. He quickly was blackjacked and whisked away to a Cubbie brainwashing facility. One of the pinheads on Monday's CLTV Sports Talk broadcast explained that the Cell "is harder to get to than Wrigley because you have to drive," while pinhead #2 nodded along. I almost fell out of my chair.

Coverage by other media outlets was a mixed bag. CBS provided fairly intensive coverage, but made a point to give equal time to a live report from San Juan, where absolutely nothing occurred. It was predicted that the presence of Sosa and Alou would jack up attendence in PR, since they clearly dwarf that fellow, whatshisname, who plays RF for the 'Spos. They also provided a helpful San Juan weather report. As pointed out elsewhere, Sudberry was in rare Sox-hating form, but the station did send two reporters to the Cell and mentioned the Sox win about 10 minutes into the broadcast -- not exactly a Cub-worthy top billing, but better than other stations. Again, no Sox players were interviewed, but we did get the stale Simon and Wood interviews from the day before.

NBC provided very little sports coverage and did not even mention that the Sox played until about 25 minutes into the broadcast.

ABC ran a tease about 12 minutes in, saying that tickets were "selling like hotcakes" at the Cell, "but there's plenty of interest in the Cubs" (who are not playing). At the 20 minute mark they ran a joint report on "pennant fever" in Chicago, including segments from Wrigley Field (where nothing happened) and some bar where Cubs fans were drinking in the middle of the afternoon (though not watching the Cubs). Ron Magers chimed in, saying that he attended the Sox game and "had fun." (Thanks, Ron.) Five minutes later, they ran a sports tease which only stated: "We are with the Cubs in Puerto Rico" (where nothing happened). No mention of the Sox win. The actual sports segment was solid, Mark Giangreco notwithstanding.

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Denny Hocking went so far as to say that the Cell contains "the best road crowd" in the majors, high praise indeed from an arch-rival. He quickly was blackjacked and whisked away to a Cubbie brainwashing facility. One of the pinheads on Monday's CLTV Sports Talk broadcast explained that the Cell "is harder to get to than Wrigley because you have to drive," while pinhead #2 nodded along. I almost fell out of my chair.

The teal comment is too funny!

Because you have to drive?! I live in Mount Greenwood and when I left the park last Tuesday, it took me all of 25 minutes to get home and that was going down Western/Kedzie rather than the Ryan. They need to speak to my boss (not from this country) about going to Gigley. He lives on the NS and said he hates going to Gigley because it is a pain to get there. He said he likes Sox park too because it is much nicer and friendly (oh, and has better food).

dickallen15
09-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Many speculated how the broadcast media would cover the Sox / Twins series, following the orgy of media coverage poured on the morst recent Cubs / Cards series. The verdict is in:

As reported in other threads, Cubune TV coverage of the Sox series was disgraceful. Both WGN and CLTV started their Sox coverage by claiming that the park was empty on Monday night. CLTV went so far as to show videotape of the Cell taken at least an hour before game time, noting that the park was pretty empty and that some of the fans present were from out of town. Missing was the obvious conclusion that the other 30,000 people were still commuting after working on a Monday. (Perhaps they could get former Cub employee Lee Elia to explain the concept.) The segment also inexplicably used video of Cubs fans in Milwaukee. (Guess they lost the footage of the hundreds of Sox fans in Detroit, a significantly further destination.) CLTV failed to even mention that the Sox actually won the game and took sole possession of first place until ten minutes later in the broadcast. This is understandable, because results are not relevant and attendence is the REAL issue. Also notably absent from the broadcast were any interviews with Sox or Twins players (though stale interviews of the Sausage Beater and Carrie Wood were included on a Cub off day). Other outlets reported that players for both teams were asked about the crowd and unanimously gave glowing reviews. Denny Hocking went so far as to say that the Cell contains "the best road crowd" in the majors, high praise indeed from an arch-rival. He quickly was blackjacked and whisked away to a Cubbie brainwashing facility. One of the pinheads on Monday's CLTV Sports Talk broadcast explained that the Cell "is harder to get to than Wrigley because you have to drive," while pinhead #2 nodded along. I almost fell out of my chair.

Coverage by other media outlets was a mixed bag. CBS provided fairly intensive coverage, but made a point to give equal time to a live report from San Juan, where absolutely nothing occurred. It was predicted that the presence of Sosa and Alou would jack up attendence in PR, since they clearly dwarf that fellow, whatshisname, who plays RF for the 'Spos. They also provided a helpful San Juan weather report. As pointed out elsewhere, Sudberry was in rare Sox-hating form, but the station did send two reporters to the Cell and mentioned the Sox win about 10 minutes into the broadcast -- not exactly a Cub-worthy top billing, but better than other stations. Again, no Sox players were interviewed, but we did get the stale Simon and Wood interviews from the day before.

NBC provided very little sports coverage and did not even mention that the Sox played until about 25 minutes into the broadcast.

ABC ran a tease about 12 minutes in, saying that tickets were "selling like hotcakes" at the Cell, "but there's plenty of interest in the Cubs" (who are not playing). At the 20 minute mark they ran a joint report on "pennant fever" in Chicago, including segments from Wrigley Field (where nothing happened today) and some bar where Cubs fans were drinking (though not watching the Cubs). Ron Magers chimed in, saying that he attended to Sox game and "had fun." (Thanks, Ron.) Five minutes later, they ran a spots tease which only stated: "We are with the Cubs in Puerto Rico" (where nothing happened). No mention fo the Sox win. The actual sports segment was solid, Mark Giangreco notwithstanding.

Its not surprising Ron Magers plugged the Sox. He is Robin Ventura's cousin.

chuckn98229
09-09-2003, 12:41 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I was surprised and happy to hear an extended complimentary conversation about the White Sox on Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN radio today. Both said that the White Sox had the most talent and should be able to take this division. However, they questioned why this team has not played up to its potential until now? One of the Mikes said that JM was one of the major reasons - and that there was justification for questioning his fitness for the role of Manager. Maybe they are reading WSI, as well.

Rocky Soprano
09-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Its easier to get to the Urinal?! How is that true?

Las time I check you can also take the Red Line to the Cell. And last time I checked they have parking at the Cell, at the Urinal you end up parking in someones back yard!

These people really need to get smacked.

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 12:56 PM
This is Deplorable. What gets me, is that the Media thinks theyre doing something INTERESTING, and EYE CATCHING when they do a Segment ASKING WHERE THE SOX FANS ARE/WHY ARE THE CUBS SO POPULAR. Stupid Media, the storys right here.
Idiots.

ode to veeck
09-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Because you have to drive?!

Let's see, both the Red AND the green lines have stops within walking distance from the Cell

VeeckAsInWreck
09-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Its easier to get to the Urinal?! How is that true?

Las time I check you can also take the Red Line to the Cell. And last time I checked they have parking at the Cell, at the Urinal you end up parking in someones back yard!

These people really need to get smacked.

Rocky,

you are so right about everything. The Red Line, Parking, and these people getting smacked!

When you drive to that overrated ivy museum, you either park in someone's yard, or you can pay close to $40 to park in a Taco Bell. You think they would at least throw in a Chalupa when you pay that much for parking!

Huisj
09-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Let's see, both the Red AND the green lines have stops within walking distance from the Cell

and not to mention that driving ain't exactly super difficult anyways. ridiculous.

dickallen15
09-09-2003, 01:20 PM
And you also have a 3 mile long bumper to bumer traffic after you get off the expressway. US Cellular is easier to get to even from the north and northwest suburbs.

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
And you also have a 3 mile long bumper to bumer traffic after you get off the expressway. US Cellular is easier to get to even from the north and northwest suburbs.

They do need to do a better job of getting Cars INTO the park on a QUICKER BASIS.

Dan H
09-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This is Deplorable. What gets me, is that the Media thinks theyre doing something INTERESTING, and EYE CATCHING when they do a Segment ASKING WHERE THE SOX FANS ARE/WHY ARE THE CUBS SO POPULAR. Stupid Media, the storys right here.
Idiots.

Well said. The media has been doing these stories for a good five years now. The stories are so unoriginal, I don't even react half of the time. They may be idiots as you say, Hanger. That, or they think they have to do this stuff to keep their jobs.

fquaye149
09-09-2003, 02:01 PM
(Perhaps they could get former Cub employee Lee Elia to explain the concept.)

you rule

Hondo
09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
It doesn't matter what the Cubune writes or WGN or whoever shows.
Growing up in McKinley Park I know how easy it was for me and my friends to go to games.
Being a life long Sox fan I know how loyal and KNOWLEDGEABLE Sox fans are.
The only thing that bothers me is this:
1. Most people are stupid
2. That being said they believe whatever is on print or on the boob tube.
3. This leads to idiots where I live now (NE Indiana) who know I'm a Sox fan asking why that "pro" team on the north side of town draws more fans, or why their park is better, or why it the cell sucks so much.
So to say the slanted view local and national media has doesn't do anything is wrong.
The only way they shut up is by doing what KW said, "winning a championship"

Hondo

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 02:05 PM
I have to tip the sox cap to the CubTimes today.
Front AND Back Page Sox pictures....and rightly so.
WE did move into 1st again.....

white sox bill
09-09-2003, 02:21 PM
The only way to get respect is to win a World Series! That way we can tell all those Cub-loving media people to shove it up thier *** and die a slow agonizing death and burn in hell for eternity!

Until then, I LOVE being politically INCORRECT!!

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I have to tip the sox cap to the CubTimes today.
Front AND Back Page Sox pictures....and rightly so.
WE did move into 1st again.....

Actually the Sox were there already, we just pushed the Twins out for the time being...

hold2dibber
09-09-2003, 03:26 PM

As reported in other threads, Cubune TV coverage of the Sox series was disgraceful. Both WGN and CLTV started their Sox coverage by claiming that the park was empty on Monday night. CLTV went so far as to show videotape of the Cell taken at least an hour before game time, noting that the park was pretty empty and that some of the fans present were from out of town. Missing was the obvious conclusion that the other 30,000 people were still commuting after working on a Monday. (Perhaps they could get former Cub employee Lee Elia to explain the concept.) The segment also inexplicably used video of Cubs fans in Milwaukee. (Guess they lost the footage of the hundreds of Sox fans in Detroit, a significantly further destination.)

I find it utterly disgusting that the Trib-owned TV stations slammed the Sox and Sox fans for the attendance last night. Nearly 33,000 for a week night game ain't bad, particulary with school in session and Monday night football on the tube. More importantly, you may recall last week the media in town breathlessly reported ad nauseum on the frenzy at the Urinal surrounding the 5 game series between the Cubs and Cardinals. Does anyone remember WGN or CLTV claiming that Cubs fans were not coming out to support the teams? No, of course not. That despite the following:

Sox/Twins attendance 9/8: 32,807
Cubs/Cards attendance 9/2 (game 1): 31,990
Cubs/Cards attendance 9/3: 32,710

So despite the fact that the Sox had better attendance last night than the Cubs/Cards did in 2 of the 5 games last week, WGN and CLTV devote a bunch of air time to the "lack of support" the Sox received. What a crock.

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 03:30 PM
I wonder if WGN would say anything in response to an email with those facts within it :?: . I doubt it, they would find another way to spin it in the Scrubs favor...just a thought... :angry:

cheeses_h_rice
09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

So despite the fact that the Sox had better attendance last night than the Cubs/Cards did in 2 of the 5 games last week, WGN and CLTV devote a bunch of air time to the "lack of support" the Sox received. What a crock.

:knue

Bwa-ha-ha! Guess who writes their scripts, Sox fan loser?!?

hold2dibber
09-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I wonder if WGN would say anything in response to an email with those facts within it :?: . I doubt it, they would find another way to spin it in the Scrubs favor...just a thought... :angry:

I actually just e-mailed them. Here's what I wrote:

I was appalled by your coverage of the Sox’ big victory over the Twins on last night’s news. You started your coverage with the claim that the game at U.S. Cellular Field was not well attended. My first reaction is that it seems absolutely absurd that attendance would be given top billing over the actual outcome of the game – that, after all, is what really matters. More troubling, however, is the fact that your claim concerning attendance was both inaccurate and misleading. The Sox drew 32,807 people last night. That was, by FAR the biggest crowd in all of baseball (second was the Red Sox at Baltimore, which drew about 30% less than the Sox did). Yet you decided to single out the Sox for some perceived lack of support. Moreover, nearly 33,000 on a Monday night is pretty darn good, particularly in light of the fact that school is back in session (and the Sox rely heavily upon high school and college kids for week night attendance during the summer) and in light of the fact that Monday night football was on. Under these circumstances, to suggest that a crowd of 33,000 is somehow insufficient is absurd and unconscionable. And I also couldn’t help but think that WGN likely would not handle Cubs attendance in the same way. So I went back and checked. Like the Sox last night, last week, the Cubs hosted a bitter division rival who they are battling for 1st place – the Cardinals. On 9/2 (game 1) the Cubs/Cards drew 31,990 and on 9/3 the Cubs/Cards drew 32,710. That’s right – LESS than the Sox/Twins drew last night. Yet there was no suggestion on WGN on those days that the Cubs were not receiving fan support. How can you possibly justify the discrepancy? It seems to me that you are simply too lazy to come up with any original coverage of the Sox, so you just defaulted to the tired, old “the Sox get no support” story, despite the fact that it is not true. Your report (and that on sister station CLTV) was a disgrace, and you owe the Sox and their fans an apology. But I won’t hold my breath waiting for it.

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Hold2Dib, that was an Excellent Email ........that was a Lashing done with words....A Digital Home Run so to speak....

dougs78
09-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Great email Dibbs. I sure would like to see what they have to say in response to that. I can't think of one thing that they could say other than "you're right," so I doubt they'll say anything at all. But still, its good to give intelligent, factual feedback to media outlets.

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Awesome email :D: ! You have to let us know if they respond and if they do, what they say.

:gulp: Cheers to you! :)

ihatethecubs
09-10-2003, 04:35 AM
what a shocker , on the cubs off day, Cub Lovers TeleVision showed the sox highlights of a great game compacted into like less than 1 minute and left out tons of details of the game, then showed 3 minutes of cubs players in the locker room saying basically nothing.