PDA

View Full Version : Input: Are There Still Sox fans in SW Michigan?

Procol Harum
09-09-2003, 11:57 AM
In one of the dreaded Sox attendance/marketing threads I was droning on about Sox and Cub fan ratios outside the immediate Chicago area. Obviously, the Grubs have us pretty outgunned in that area. However, I noted that back in the day, the Sox used to have a fair number of fans in SW Michigan in the Benton Harbor/St. Joe/Dowagiac neck of the woods. Well, we know how JR has pee-peed away much of Sox fandom in the 6-county Chicago metro area--anybody know if a flicker of Sox fandom yet burns over across the lake in that region of Michigan?

Eddie Gaedel
09-09-2003, 12:07 PM
I have family in Sister Lakes that are hardcore SOX fans. They come down a few times each year to watch a game.

Procol Harum
09-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
I have family in Sister Lakes that are hardcore SOX fans. They come down a few times each year to watch a game.

Are they native to that area or the Chicago area?

Eddie Gaedel
09-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Are they native to that area or the Chicago area?

They're from Chicago, but have lived there for 30-35 years. Their kids (now adults w/kids) were born there and raised as SOX fans.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Like a lot of trends, you need to dig deeper to find the truth.

For long-time residents, the Sox are still a strong presence. South Bend, Niles, and smaller towns running north away from the shoreline haven't changed population too much. The Cell is the closest major league ballpark. That's how most of N. Indiana became populated with Sox Fans, too.

The trouble starts along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Those populations have changed and expanded greatly. Towns like New Buffalo are filled with former Chicagoans. We Sox Fans are all too familiar with the preferences of the larger portion of this group.

:angry:

Jess1210
09-09-2003, 01:39 PM
If you head a little farther north, the problem gets even worse...in Grand Rapids the major local news broadcast usually has two baseball stories during the sports segment: the Tigers' latest misery, and then Cubs coverage, with no other scores reported. All summer long the Cubs have often been the top sports story over all...since when was West Michigan such Cubs territory?!

:angry:

Sox fans seem to be few and far between here, unfortunately.

But in a few weeks, maybe that will change...I will be loving it when the Cubs season will have ended in September, and the Sox are (hopefully) still going strong in October! :D:

Procol Harum
09-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jess1210
If you head a little farther north, the problem gets even worse...in Grand Rapids the major local news broadcast usually has two baseball stories during the sports segment: the Tigers' latest misery, and then Cubs coverage, with no other scores reported. All summer long the Cubs have often been the top sports story over all...since when was West Michigan such Cubs territory?!

That really is appalling! I had always been under the impression that folks further north away from the SW corner were almost universally Tiger fans. Yikes! Of course, there's another example of a franchise which has done its durndest to drive away its fan base....

Ya know, between Reinsdorf's ownership of the Sox, Bud and Wendy's reign in Milwaukee, the ineptitude of the last 15 years of Tiger and Reds management--the rest of MLB has just about ceded the Midwest to the Tribune Company. If it wasn't for Cardinal Nation you could paint the Midwest blue.

Sad
09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
I live 10mi. north of the Twin Cities (St Joseph / BH) and work in St Joseph... there is a mix here of Detroit/ Cubs/ SOX

SOX being the smallest fan-base but the most hard-core fans

Detroit fans crawl out of the woodwork when they have a better year... I remember back in the day you had to look long & hard for a Red Wings fan and now they're all on that bandwagon...

here's hoping they don't make weeknight games a later start
as we're Eastern time already and that WMVP AM 1000 becomes a real chore to listen to after sunset on this side of the lake...

Procol Harum
09-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Sad
as we're Eastern time already and that WMVP AM 1000 becomes a real chore to listen to after sunset on this side of the lake...

Hey, that can't be--they keep telling us that WMVP beams east to explain why those of us here 20 miles due west of the Loop in DuPage County have trouble with the signal quality. Jerry Reinsdorf, you've done it again! :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey, that can't be--they keep telling us that WMVP beams east to explain why those of us here 20 miles due west of the Loop in DuPage County have trouble with the signal quality. Jerry Reinsdorf, you've done it again! :o:

:reinsy
"What, do I look stupid? Radio stations that have large broadcast areas cost money. What the folks in Dupage County don't know won't hurt 'em."

:)

ABMBdaydream95
09-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I don't know about Southwest Michigan, but in the Grand Rapids area they barely ever talk about the White Sox.

ewokpelts
09-09-2003, 03:18 PM
I have trouble in the loop(where I work)...and I'm five blocks from the damm station! Me thinks it has more to do with the Cubune blocking signals...cuz all I can get on am is 720
Gene

Jess1210
09-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Wow, it's great to hear that there actually are other Sox fans in the GR area! They are few and far between...now I know of at least one more besidesme and my buddy Huisj.

Procol Harum
09-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
I have trouble in the loop(where I work)...and I'm five blocks from the damm station! Me thinks it has more to do with the Cubune blocking signals...cuz all I can get on am is 720
Gene

Yep, I think they do it from those bright blue helicopters that are always silently gliding around the Loop... :D:

Paulwny
09-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Sad

WOW, I'm totally amazed, sunset is the time I'm able to pick up am1000, the later it gets the greater the signal.

Huisj
09-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ABMBdaydream95
I don't know about Southwest Michigan, but in the Grand Rapids area they barely ever talk about the White Sox.

No joke, here at my school, if you're a sox fan, people think you're weird. The only real sox fan I know here is actually from denver. Cubs hats are all over campus, and it sucks.

And about AM 1000, it comes it pretty good here after dark, so the late start times wouldn't bother me too bad i guess.

Huisj
09-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Oh and BTW, how about a nice welcome aboard to the two new members from GR, Jess1210 and ABMBDayDream95 :smile:

Sad
09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
I dont know that the signal actually gets weak... it gets...

WEIRD! :?:

imagine tuning in Soviet Radio or some distant amateur radio signal/station that comes and goes...

I purchased a GE Super Radio? as I thought it would improve this, as it's designed for weak signals etc. so I'm supposed to have that going for me...

no...

Right around dusk, the signal becomes slave to tropospheric ducting and alien-like anamolies :gulp: that force the user to physically turn the radio thereby re-positioning the internal ferrite bead antenna at different angles to improve the audio, but alas it is only temporary :(: as it soon must be moved back and this goes on until daybreak I would imagine... or as Hawk might say:

IT GONE!

btw
AM 720 and AM 670 (both 50,000 W signals?) aren't like this...

Paulwny
09-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Sad
I dont know that the signal actually gets weak... it gets...

WEIRD! :?:

imagine tuning in Soviet Radio or some distant amateur radio signal/station that comes and goes...

I purchased a GE Super Radio? as I thought it would improve this, as it's designed for weak signals etc. so I'm supposed to have that going for me...

no...

Right around dusk, the signal becomes slave to tropospheric ducting and alien-like anamolies :gulp: that force the user to physically turn the radio thereby re-positioning the internal ferrite bead antenna at different angles to improve the audio, but alas it is only temporary :(: as it soon must be moved back and this goes on until daybreak I would imagine... or as Hawk might say:

IT GONE!

btw
AM 720 and AM 670 (both 50,000 W signals?) aren't like this...

I also have a GE Super radio, which I purchased~ 15 yrs. ago, and have the same problem with re-positioning the antenna.
My son bought for me ~ 5yrs ago a Radio Shack Dx-375 and I no longer have this problem.
He explained to the clerk the purpose of the radio and this radio was recommended. The clerk allowed my son , before the purchase, to leave the mall bldg. and test the radio pick-up of AM 1000.

Paulwny
09-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The clerk allowed my son , before the purchase, to leave the mall bldg. and test the radio pick-up of AM 1000.

It's battery operated .

Huisj
09-10-2003, 05:00 PM
I've got a little grundric traveller radio that picks it up pretty good here. . . the weird thing is my car radio. When i hit the brakes or used the turn signal, I get crazy swirling psycodellic sounds like something from a bad pink floyd song.

adsit
09-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Gene

I'll put on my geek hat here- I know something about this stuff.

First, the 'sticks' (towers) for 1000 are in Downers Grove, on 39th Street a block or so off Ogden Ave if memory serves. WLS is in Tinley Park (can't miss those from I-80), and most of the rest of them are in the Itasca/Bloomingdale area. It was all cow country in the 20's and 30's when they put that stuff out there... tall broadcast towers don't make great neighbors.

Anyway, if you think of WMVP as a Downers Grove station, and wonder why the signal still sucks in DuPage County, it's because you're too close to the transmitter. Without oversimplifying things (or overcomplicating them), the 1000 frequency is called "directional clear channel." KJR in Seattle is also on AM1000 at 50,000 watts, so both stations broadcast in a "directional pattern" at night so they don't interfere with one another. But when you're in a pattern, you create dead (null) spaces in the signal that get wider the further away you get.

So it sounds like SW Michigan's in one of those dead spots. Meanwhile, Paulwny in Buffalo gets a clear signal. In Mass, I can hear it well on clear nights when a New York station on 1010 isn't interfering. AM's a quirky thing.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
I've got a little grundric traveller radio that picks it up pretty good here. . . the weird thing is my car radio. When i hit the brakes or used the turn signal, I get crazy swirling psycodellic sounds like something from a bad pink floyd song.

You'll be hearing from the RIAA's lawyers... as soon as they're done with that 12 y.o. girl. :smile:

ewokpelts
09-10-2003, 11:45 PM
dont forget grandpa too, george........btw, my lil' two cents.....the riaa and the labels are ded wrong...they are grasping at straws..while file sharing may or may not be illegal....suiing your customers is just as bad as jerry blaming the fans for lack of attendance, thus reducing payroll....
Gene

p.s. as for radio.....didnt western michigan get wmvp pretty good back in th 80's, when the loop simulcast?

thepaulbowski
09-11-2003, 08:44 AM

I can get AM 1000 all the way to South Bend (when I go home for ND games). Actually, I just bought a new vehicle and was pleasantly surprised I could AM 1000 almost crystal clear in South Bend last Saturday night.

As far as the fan base is concerned, being from Elkhart (the greater South Bend area) I can speak on this. The area is mostly built up of "Chicago fans" that lean a little more towards being Cub fans. I think this is directly due to WGN. There also are Detroit & Cleveland fans in the area too....most of the times these people despise the Cubs, which is nice. As the Sox were successful in 2000 and doing well now, I have noticed moe Sox wear. Also, now the cable handle the Fox Sports Net out of Chicago, more people get to watch Sox games.

Procol Harum
09-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I can get AM 1000 all the way to South Bend (when I go home for ND games). Actually, I just bought a new vehicle and was pleasantly surprised I could AM 1000 almost crystal clear in South Bend last Saturday night.

I used to have the occasion to drive back and forth from here to ND and this was also my experience--leading me to believe the talk about the signal being beamed east (as Paulwny's post would also indicate). But at night on the way back the signal would start twisting and becoming distorted soon after I got into Illinois and started heading NW on the Tri-State.

jortafan
09-11-2003, 09:53 AM
When I used to live in Springfield, Ill., I was able to pick up WMVP without any problems. Admittedly, that was about as far south as the signal would go, it would die shortly thereafter when driving on I-55 toward St. Louis.