PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal's MVP odds

Deadguy
09-09-2003, 11:24 AM
He has Thomas at 2nd with a 5 to 1 shot:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=americanleagueidols&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Dadawg_77
09-09-2003, 11:28 AM
On the AL contenders there are not a lot of big time preformances if the Sox win, Frank's will be one of the better ones.

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 12:19 PM
I am surprised that Rosenthal bothered to put a Sox player on there at all. He's so pro-scrub it's nauseating.

hold2dibber
09-09-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm suprised he didn't even mention Maggs at all. I personally think that Frank and Maggs will split the "Sox vote" so neither will win it. I'm guessing they both finish in the top 10 in MVP voting, though (unless one of them REALLY turns it on over the last 20 games).

Lip Man 1
09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
I can personally assure you Fan Of 14, Ken is NOT a Cubs fan.

Lip

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 12:32 PM
For not being one, he certainly writes like one. Oh well, not that I really care, just an observation from some of his stories.

34 Inch Stick
09-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Frank has a late series with the Yankees for national exposure on his side. However I think it will be tough for a person hitting in the .260's to get an MVP. It would also help if he lead the team in RBI's

If he can start popping off HR's again and get the average up to .280 and take over the team RBI lead I think you can start making a better case for him.

Maggs has a good average but his HR and RBI numbers are down. As I have said before, I think the numbers are deceptively good for Maggs this year.

shane
09-09-2003, 04:03 PM
I don't see how the MVP could possibly go to A-Rod this year. It's not all statistics. If A-Rod left the game today, Texas wouldn't go down in ranking. I think it should be based more on who has truly been valuable. Texas stays right where they are without A-Rod and Baseball moves on. Take away Big Frank, the Sox won't be where they are, however, baseball would still move forward. My point, since Baseball (AL) will still move forward if it's best player, statistically, leaves the game, this award should be geared more toward someone that really has made a difference for their team winning baseball games. Anyway, this kind of thread could go on and on. It's kind of like the all-star voting, when the best statistical players get snubbed.

Hokiesox
09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm suprised he didn't even mention Maggs at all. I personally think that Frank and Maggs will split the "Sox vote" so neither will win it. I'm guessing they both finish in the top 10 in MVP voting, though (unless one of them REALLY turns it on over the last 20 games).

Even Sox-hater Sutcliffe mentions Maggs as an MVP candidate. Anyone who doesn't mention Maggs gets a 100-1 shot at being right in my book! :)

:gulp: :bandance:

jabrch
09-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Frank has a late series with the Yankees for national exposure on his side. However I think it will be tough for a person hitting in the .260's to get an MVP. It would also help if he lead the team in RBI's

If he can start popping off HR's again and get the average up to .280 and take over the team RBI lead I think you can start making a better case for him.

In order for Frank to end the season hitting .280, he would have to hit just about .400 the rest of the way, assuming 3.5 ABs per game over 19 games... Man, if he can do that...he DEFINITELY would deserve MVP. I am not holding my breath on him hitting .400 vs Boston, Minn, KC and NYY, but if he can...I am all for it!

Jason

Shoeless Joe
09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
As much as I like Magglio, nobody can possibly claim that he is having a bigger impact on this team than Frank. He has given the Sox so many game winning hits (HR's in particular) that have kept this team going and being one of the hottest teams in baseball the second half. But this month is obviously going to dictate whether Frank or Magglio will get any consideration for the MVP. Just in the same vein as Frank, Magglio can get into a ridiculous tear to end the season.