PDA

View Full Version : New start times for games next year


irish rover
09-09-2003, 10:26 AM
anyone hear the possibility of them starting games next year at 7:30 due to constuction on the Ryan and I also believe the Stevenson next year

A.T. Money
09-09-2003, 10:37 AM
MLB dictates the start time I believe.

I haven't heard of this.

chosk8
09-09-2003, 10:44 AM
From Paul Ladewski's column in The Daily Southtown today...

"There's no way to tell how many fans we lose on a given night because of the road construction," Sox marketing director Rob Gallas said. "But it's safe to say that it has had some impact."

So much so that the team has lobbied for the addition of a Metra stop near the ballpark. A 7:30 p.m. start time for home night games is also possible for next season.

dickallen15
09-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Back in the early 70's home games used to start at 8 pm. I would not mind a 7:30 start. MLB does not determine start times, the White Sox do.

irish rover
09-09-2003, 10:50 AM
here is the daily southtown piece, explains alot about attendance, also talk of a metra staion near the park

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x09-lad1.htm

mandmandm
09-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
From Paul Ladewski's column in The Daily Southtown today...

My uncle told me that some local politician was able to sneak in some funding to build the metra station. I could not find the source but he told me it was in the Sun Times or Southtown a couple weeks ago. Anyone else come across that.

irish rover
09-09-2003, 10:56 AM
the above link refers to it but doesn't give specifics

mandmandm
09-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Couldn't they use the US Cell money to build the stations? Ideally they would have two train stations. One on the line east of the Dan Ryan for the Beverly, Blue Island, Joliet fans. Would it not make sense to also put one on the tracks just west of the park? I am not sure if Metra trains run on there but if there was express service to and fro from Union Station to Comiskey that would greatly increase the suburban public transportation access to the park.

TDog
09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Couldn't they use the US Cell money to build the stations? Ideally they would have two train stations. One on the line east of the Dan Ryan for the Beverly, Blue Island, Joliet fans. Would it not make sense to also put one on the tracks just west of the park? I am not sure if Metra trains run on there but if there was express service to and fro from Union Station to Comiskey that would greatly increase the suburban public transportation access to the park.

That is a good question that never occurred to me. Essentially, it depends on the legislation that funded construction of the park and the Illinois laws that govern such legislation. I know that in some states, bond issues that fund school construction can be used to build off-site access roads. But I don't know the answer to this question.

irish rover
09-09-2003, 11:30 AM
if they have to choose between the 2 lines, I'd build it on the east side of the park by 35th. It has the Sox, IIT, access to the red and green lines, redevelopment where the former projects were. ALot of sox fans live off that line too

npdempse
09-09-2003, 12:05 PM
I thought the Metra station was already happening; I've been assuming that that's what all the construction adjacent to the tracks at 31st St. is.

34 Inch Stick
09-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Not to sound like an old man but 7:30 is too late for both attending and watching games. That means you are not done until 10:30 and not home until at least 11:30. Unless I pull an Edison and just take quick cat naps instead of sleep the entire summer that would kill my attendence and viewing.

To tell you the truth, I kind of liked the 6:05 start versus Boston.

FanOf14
09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
6:00 starts are bad for me because if they were at home, there is no way for me to get to the park by then and when they are away, I don't get home until 6:30ish (depending on traffic) so I miss a minimum of an inning (generally it's been about 2 innings I miss when they start at 6).

I like the idea of a 7:30 start since I don't go to sleep until 11-11:30 anyways (and I wake up at a quarter to 6), it gives me more time to get from Rolling Meadows to either Comiskey or home.

Brian26
09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Sox games used to start at 7:35 in the seventies and early 80's. I thought the entire point of changing the start time to 7:05 was to make it possible for the Sox highlights to make the 10 o'clock news. In this day and age, most sports fans turn to ESPN or FSN before the local affiliates for their sports scores anyway, so I'm not so sure that point is moot now anyway.

voodoochile
09-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Sox games used to start at 7:35 in the seventies and early 80's. I thought the entire point of changing the start time to 7:05 was to make it possible for the Sox highlights to make the 10 o'clock news. In this day and age, most sports fans turn to ESPN or FSN before the local affiliates for their sports scores anyway, so I'm not so sure that point is moot now anyway.

I thought it was also part of JR's family friendly initiatives. By starting at 7:00, familys can go to the game and be home by 11:00 most nights (as 34"stick pointed out). So it doesn't make it too late for most school kids to come, but in the process, he made it tougher for people without kids to get to the games on time.

I mentioned this a while ago. Rush hour traffic is tough on the DR. It backs up for a long ways up 290 and 55 to make the changeover to the DR and it can take as long to get from Ashland and the expressways to the ballpark as it did to get to Ashland in the first place. I realize smart regulars probably get off the expressway and take side streets once they get within a short drive, but a lot of casual fans don't know that stuff and end up getting caught in traffic. The later start times will allow people to avoid the worst of rush hour traffic and still make the start of the game. On this point, the Sox are correct, now they just have to reconcile it with their family friendly policy...

mandmandm
09-09-2003, 01:35 PM
How about they just change the American work day from 9-5 to 9-3? Get the traffic out of the city and then everybody will be able to make batting practice.

WhiteSoxWinner
09-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
How about they just change the American work day from 9-5 to 9-3? Get the traffic out of the city and then everybody will be able to make batting practice.

I don't know if this should be deeppink or teal . Maybe we could put together a poll on this?

mandmandm
09-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I don't know if this should be deeppink or teal . Maybe we could put together a poll on this?

I will let you choose WSW. I have not quite got the color coding down yet.