PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Swing at Everything

gosox41
09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
I'm not trying to be negative but I noticed Carlos Lee batted 4 times tonight and swung at the first pitch 4 times. I'm well aware that CLee is having his best year, but does it hurt to take a pitch once in awhile? Lohse was constantly falling behind batters. Work him a little bit and make him throw your pitch aqnd get the pitch count up, or maybe even take a walk. I hear there as good as hits.

Constantly swinging at the first pitch is a bad habit to get into. So is swinging at 3-0 pitches, which is something Frank and Paulie did tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the Sox won. But they had Lohse on the ropes and could have knocked him out early and set a tone the rest of the series if they had just played a little smarter.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but these are some of the little things that need to be done to win more games over time.

Bob

Dadawg_77
09-08-2003, 11:53 PM
one thing to note is Lee has one of the better avg+slg on pitches which are out of the strike zone.

gosox41
09-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
one thing to note is Lee has one of the better avg+slg on pitches which are out of the strike zone.

I did not know that. I didn't even know that stat existed. I'd still like to see him be a smart hitter and wait for his pitch, especially when the pitcher is struggling to throw strikes (like Lohse tonight.)

Bob

Dadawg_77
09-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I did not know that. I didn't even know that stat existed. I'd still like to see him be a smart hitter and wait for his pitch, especially when the pitcher is struggling to throw strikes (like Lohse tonight.)

Bob

Pitch by pitch stat work which is just starting to take formation is very cool. One problem is you'll have to spend money to get the data, companies are selling it to Major League clubs if they are listening.

RichH55
09-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm not trying to be negative but I noticed Carlos Lee batted 4 times tonight and swung at the first pitch 4 times. I'm well aware that CLee is having his best year, but does it hurt to take a pitch once in awhile? Lohse was constantly falling behind batters. Work him a little bit and make him throw your pitch aqnd get the pitch count up, or maybe even take a walk. I hear there as good as hits.

Constantly swinging at the first pitch is a bad habit to get into. So is swinging at 3-0 pitches, which is something Frank and Paulie did tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the Sox won. But they had Lohse on the ropes and could have knocked him out early and set a tone the rest of the series if they had just played a little smarter.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but these are some of the little things that need to be done to win more games over time.

Bob

Translation: Winning is not enough for me and when you interpret this please work firing Manuel in somehow:)

jeremyb1
09-09-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Problem is he seemingly indicated last season that he can hit just as well if he takes a more disciplined approach. Its possible he's not huring his batting average and slugging percentage when he swings at pitches out of the zone but he'd still be hurting his production by passing up walks.

MikeKreevich
09-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Watching the game last night, I was hoping Carlos was sitting on Lohse's first pitch fastball. This was the first inning. Your'e right though, you can't make a practice of it.