PDA

View Full Version : Williams On Cubs (To Fred Mitchell)

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Kenny Williams spoke to the Tribune's Fred Mitchell about the Cubs, the media and the perception that all that matters right now is the Cubs...

HANGER 18 should be VERY interested...

"The White Sox play a four-game series with American League Central rival Minnesota this week, while the Cubs are in Puerto Rico to play Montreal. Why is it that the Cubs seem to be receiving so much more attention?"

"The Cubs' push toward their first division title since 1989 seems to have captured the entire country's interest."

"It's an easily recognizable fact. So what? So be it," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "We've talked about it. Let's change the mind-set of the city, of the fans and everyone associated with the organization. We can't worry about attendance, we can't worry about the Cubs or the weather or the traffic or anything else. The only thing we can worry about is bringing it home, bringing a championship home. And if we get there, we can recapture some of our lost fan base and maybe a little attention. All we want is a little bit."

Hokiesox
09-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Why did this guy suck for the first 2-3 years he had this job? He's awesome now! Did he finally convince JR that JR didn't know what he was doing?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Why did this guy suck for the first 2-3 years he had this job? He's awesome now! Did he finally convince JR that JR didn't know what he was doing?

I'm pretty sure Kenny has been reading the message boards. He sounds just like us.

:bandance:

Dadawg_77
09-09-2003, 12:06 AM
If Kenny starts praying to the Great Dancing Banana then we will know for sure. The thing with Kenny, he has always been very competitive person, just he tamed it down for the public. Look at the stories of him flipping over buffet tables and calling out players in the clubhouse. He might not have felt totally secured in his job, and this year after a few years of growing into it, he find feels comfortable in the captain's chair.

ihatethecubs
09-09-2003, 01:01 AM
say what you will about KW, but he has always understood what sox fans want, and he always says the right things in regards to us (the sox fans)

voodoochile
09-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm pretty sure Kenny has been reading the message boards. He sounds just like us.

:bandance:

I agree, and I would bet dollars to donuts that he knows about WSI. In reality, not knowing and paying attention to WSI (and the other fan based sites) would be a majorly idiotic move. How many businesses have this much free and detailed info about what the people who use their product most want/see/perceive/do?

If the Sox are ignoring the fans here, then they are (once again) shooting themselves in the foot...

RichH55
09-09-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree, and I would bet dollars to donuts that he knows about WSI. In reality, not knowing and paying attention to WSI (and the other fan based sites) would be a majorly idiotic move. How many businesses have this much free and detailed info about what the people who use their product most want/see/perceive/do?

If the Sox are ignoring the fans here, then they are (once again) shooting themselves in the foot...

True, but if there was a Target Corp message board, do you think the fans would be so negative?

"That F'ing Produce section sucks! That LOD should be fired...revamp the whole hardlines section and rebuild in free agency!"

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
say what you will about KW, but he has always understood what sox fans want, and he always says the right things in regards to us (the sox fans)

I agree he has improved. Today you can't tell apart what he says from what most of the fans say. That's pretty amazing. However, it wasn't always like this. Remember when he said that the fans need to spend more money and how he couldn't ask Reinsdorf to spend a dollar if he only has a dime? He sounded just like the chairman with those statements.

moochpuppy
09-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"It's an easily recognizable fact. So what? So be it," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "We've talked about it. Let's change the mind-set of the city, of the fans and everyone associated with the organization. We can't worry about attendance, we can't worry about the Cubs or the weather or the traffic or anything else. The only thing we can worry about is bringing it home, bringing a championship home. And if we get there, we can recapture some of our lost fan base and maybe a little attention. All we want is a little bit."

"We don't want a piece of the pie, we just want to be able to walk past the bakery."

Hangar18
09-09-2003, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]

"The Cubs' push toward their first division title since 1989 seems to have captured the entire country's interest."

In the world of the Cub Loving Media.....they use a Tactic known as BAITING. Baiting is a Common Tactic usually used with State-Run/Government Run Newspapers. In order to Control what a Population is thinking, the Newspaper will publish a story/article based PURELY on hearsay. That is, they will STEER the article towards a Common Belief, Based purely on an ASSUMPTION, with No Regard to what is the Truth. If I, as the leader of a small country, wanted to Curtail the Rising sentiment among the people for BlueBerry flavored Cola, and keep the people wanting Bread, I would publish an article on How the People of Mars and Venus are Crazy about Bread, and talk about how the Love of Bread everywhere is a Fashionable thing. The FOOLISH people, believing everything they read, would then say, HEY, VENUS LOVES BREAD, SO SHOULD WE

maurice
09-09-2003, 12:26 PM
We love the new attitude, Kenny. Keep it up!

Viva Magglio
09-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]In order to Control what a Population is thinking, the Newspaper will publish a story/article based PURELY on hearsay. That is, they will STEER the article towards a Common Belief, Based purely on an ASSUMPTION, with No Regard to what is the Truth

Sounds like Fox News Channel.