Can someone tell me the magic number. Thanks

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 09:59 PM
I believe it would be 19?

:bandance:

Thunderstruck30
09-09-2003, 04:10 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp

Just go here to check. The 2nd place teams elimination number is the magic number.

Chisox353014
09-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Yep, the # is 19 for Minnesota, 17 for KC.
Now, what exactly is the "magic stick"? :D:

whitesoxwilkes
09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Yep, the # is 19 for Minnesota, 17 for KC.
Now, what exactly is the "magic stick"? :D:

Great song by 50 cent.

Chisox353014
09-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Great song by 50 cent.

Ahhh, I see.

-50 pop culture reference points for me

Irishsox1
09-09-2003, 04:27 PM
So the magic number is 19 and the Sox play 19 games!! Great, when the Sox are fighting for the playoffs against the Yankees and Red Sox the Twins get the Indians and Detroit. It's going to take a miracle to win the division and when I mean a miracle, I mean the Tigers beating the Twins.

MRKARNO
09-09-2003, 04:31 PM
I wouldnt expect the twins to just completely roll over the indians and detroit.

bobj4400
09-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Great song by 50 cent.

I dont mean to nitpick here, but the song is actually by Lil' Kim featuring 50 cent...

Chisox353014
09-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
So the magic number is 19 and the Sox play 19 games!! Great, when the Sox are fighting for the playoffs against the Yankees and Red Sox the Twins get the Indians and Detroit. It's going to take a miracle to win the division and when I mean a miracle, I mean the Tigers beating the Twins.

Keep in mind that each win over the Twins knocks off 2 from the magic number. If we can take 4 of the remaining 6 against them, we'll be in good shape. We could probably go about 11-8 the rest of the way and still win it if we win the right games in that span. Beat Minny and KC and things should take care of themselves.

longshot7
09-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1

Boy, that's optimism.

Chisox353014
09-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Slice 2 more off the magic number. 17 for Minny and 15 for KC now.

ode to veeck
09-09-2003, 11:08 PM
optimism is believing the twins get no more wins against the sox this week and next and the magic number plummets to single digits after the Sox play at the twinkie dome ...

en route to a thrumping the flubbies in a repeat of the '06 WS (OK I may be fantasizing a little)

VaSoxfan
09-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Let's remember the Twins record against the Indians people, it's below .500...and the Tigers can play hard when they want to, the Yanks struggled with them tonight.

Geesh Im tired of hearing the whining and gloom and doom about the schedule...ever since early July...and looky...the Sox who were once 8 back are now 2 up. Wah Wah we play the Twins, Yanks, and Royals a lot...anyone notice what our record is against those 3 teams lately? Boston is in there too but they are hardly dominating with that weak bullpen.

I guess since our schedule is tougher we might as well bag the next two vs. the Twins and hand over the division.

The bottom line is that if we do a good enough job on the Twins this week and next, and against the fading Royals, we'll be fine...we can drop a game here or there. Minnesota isn't going to go undefeated against everyone but us...live a little people.

MarqSox
09-10-2003, 07:38 AM
We control our own destiny, very simply. Obviously it's unrealistic to think we'd run the table; nevertheless, when you're alone in first place in September, if you fail to seal the deal you can't blame anyone but yourself.

jabrch
09-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
We control our own destiny, very simply.

1) We are alone, in first place, by two games

2) We have superior talent in every area of the game to KC and Minnesota. I don't think I would take any of their starters over ours (spot by spot - i.e. our #1 for their #1 or even our #5 for theirs). Maybe each team has one guy I'd rather have (Beltran and Hunter) over our guys.

3) We have still 12 head to heads vs Minnesota and KC - If we 8 of 12 or more, we will drive a nail in their hearts.

4) We know we can beat the Yanks

Guys, we are in control of our own destiny. I like it. I love it. I want some more of it!!!!!!!

Hokiesox
09-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by VaSoxfan
Let's remember the Twins record against the Indians people, it's below .500...and the Tigers can play hard when they want to, the Yanks struggled with them tonight.

I think Allen Trammel has that group headed in the right direction. They've done much better than their record indicates in the latter part of the season. They won't be contenders anytime soon, but Trammel is doing a pretty good job teaching them how to play. They're more and more fundamentally sound every game. I like the kitties, I hope they do well next year and I hope they finish with a 17 game winning streak this year.