PDA

View Full Version : Will tonight be a sellout?

Viva Magglio
09-08-2003, 11:42 AM
As of yesterday, there were 23K tickets sold.

SoxxoS
09-08-2003, 11:52 AM
If its a nice day, 39,500.

If it's crappy 30,000.

kingpin_rcs
09-08-2003, 11:52 AM
There will most likely be a ton of walk-ups go early if you plan to go. I would but it's a 2500 mile trip.

I thought there was a moratorium on attendance threads.

CHISOXFAN13
09-08-2003, 11:54 AM
From browsing Ticketmaster this morning, I don't see any chance of a sellout.

I'm hoping we can get at least 35,000 in the house.

THE_HOOTER
09-08-2003, 11:59 AM
With school in session, I would say none ofd these games will top 25000.

The crowds this weekend were embarrassing.

FJA
09-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
With school in session, I would say none ofd these games will top 25000.

The crowds this weekend were embarrassing.

This weekend's crowds were embarrassing, but I guarantee today's game will top 25,000 if Viva's 23K number is right (and I think I heard the same thing). You can't honestly think we'll get less than 2,000 walk-ups.

That being said, anyone who expects a sell-out is in for a disappointment. I think we'll get around 35,000, which is really good considering school is back in session and it's getting a bit cooler at night.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Sox are averaging 8,000 walk ups for half price Monday so with 23 thousand tickets already sold, I'd say they will draw 29,000.

Not bad for a Monday and about what they have been averaging since the break.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sox are averaging 8,000 walk ups for half price Monday so with 23 thousand tickets already sold, I'd say they will draw 29,000.

Not bad for a Monday and about what they have been averaging since the break.

Lip

I hope you're right, but that might be a little optimistic. Summer is over and the kids are back in school or back to work. The weather is warm, so that ought to help. However I will be amazed if they draw over 30K, and I'll chalk it up 100 percent to the Cubs being out of town and the Chicago media doing everything possible to shame people into going out to witness a first-place battle on half-price night. Even WGN was pleading this morning.

doogiec
09-08-2003, 12:20 PM
At noon today, Ticketmaster still has good lower deck seats available.

25,000 at most is my prediction. And we will be outdrawn by the Twins at their dome next week (even though they have a crappier stadium, cheap ownership and blue seats).

Hope I'm wrong on this one.

hold2dibber
09-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

25,000 at most is my prediction. And we will be outdrawn by the Twins at their dome next week (even though they have a crappier stadium, cheap ownership and blue seats).

The Sox out-drew the Twins this past weekend. I'm not sure why you'd think the Twins would outdraw the Sox for head-to-head games.

FJA
09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

Again, they've already sold 23K ... the Sox are AVERAGING 8,000 walk-ups on half-price night. Given that kids are back in school, we're probably not going to exceed the average, but to say we're going to be 6,000+ below the average is basically saying Sox fans don't understand the importance of this game but that they flocked to half-price games at the beginning of the season, when kids were also in school, and in droves over the summer (when, of course, the numbers are going to be higher). I think Lip's 29K prediction is probably the best, even though I earlier said I thought we'd be able to hit 35K ... not so sure about that one on second thought.

hold2dibber
09-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Again, they've already sold 23K ... the Sox are AVERAGING 8,000 walk-ups on half-price night. Given that kids are back in school, we're probably not going to exceed the average, but to say we're going to be 6,000+ below the average is basically saying Sox fans don't understand the importance of this game but that they flocked to half-price games at the beginning of the season, when kids were also in school, and in droves over the summer (when, of course, the numbers are going to be higher). I think Lip's 29K prediction is probably the best, even though I earlier said I thought we'd be able to hit 35K ... not so sure about that one on second thought.

If they have in fact already sold 23,000, I'd be shocked if they didn't exceed 30,000 tonight. If the average walk up crowd on Mondays is 8,000, but there have been several over 12,000 (IIRC) for "unimportant" (at least compared to tonight's) games, I think the Sox will at least get the 8,000 average in walk ups. I'm guessing 31,000 tonight. And, by the way, those 31,000 will be really loud and really into the game.

bobj4400
09-08-2003, 01:10 PM
I was at the game yesterday...20,000 on opening Sunday for the NFL is about what I expected.

Although small, the crowd was into it and loud...

Procol Harum
09-08-2003, 01:26 PM
I think they should be able to hit the 30K mark tonight, but would be real surprised if attendance went up beyond 31-32. The good thing is that I think that size crowd is enough of a critical mass to make for some real vocal support for the Sox.

The past weekend has really demonstrated how important families are to Sox attendance between mid-June and Labor Day. With school and fall activities goin' on, it's just harder for Sox fans w/ families in the 'burbs to be able to commit to going to a game.

gosox41
09-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by FJA
This weekend's crowds were embarrassing, but I guarantee today's game will top 25,000 if Viva's 23K number is right (and I think I heard the same thing). You can't honestly think we'll get less than 2,000 walk-ups.

That being said, anyone who expects a sell-out is in for a disappointment. I think we'll get around 35,000, which is really good considering school is back in session and it's getting a bit cooler at night.

What does school have to do with it? The Cubs don't lose attendence because school started. There's 6 million people in the Chicagoland area. A ton of adults work in the Loop, a short El ride away. 35-40K is such a small pecentage of all the people around. I can't understand why school effects attendence for the Sox and not the Cubs (and I mean Cub night games for a fair comparison.)

Don't enough adults want to go to the games? What about all the big drinkfests the 1/2 price night's have turned into this summer? Were those all kids from school enjoying their summer break???

Bob

tacosalbarojas
09-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Agreed gosox41...these are all excuses. The last time we had a series this big this late in the year...had to be 1967. If it's not sold out (or close) tonight, we're gonna take a beating from the media. We've had big walkups before late in the day, I guess hold on to hope for that.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
What does school have to do with it? The Cubs don't lose attendence because school started. There's 6 million people in the Chicagoland area. A ton of adults work in the Loop, a short El ride away. 35-40K is such a small pecentage of all the people around. I can't understand why school effects attendence for the Sox and not the Cubs (and I mean Cub night games for a fair comparison.)

Don't enough adults want to go to the games? What about all the big drinkfests the 1/2 price night's have turned into this summer? Were those all kids from school enjoying their summer break???

Bob

The obvious answer is that the Cubs sold their tickets before the day of the game. They also don't offer incentives to encourage day of game purchase behavior from their fans. The Sox do, and now they pay the price. Walkup sales only work when the weather is nice and it's convenient to go to the game.

The other obvious answer is that Cubs fans vastly outnumber Sox Fans. In fact, more (or nearly as many) Cubs fans showed up in Milwaukee to see the Lovable Losers on the road, than the Sox drew Sox Fans at home.
It ain't the ballpark (or the UD restriction policy) driving those trends. We're a minority, getting smaller all the time.

:angry:

gosox41
09-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The obvious answer is that the Cubs sold their tickets before the day of the game. They also don't offer incentives to encourage day of game purchase behavior from their fans. The Sox do, and now they pay the price. Walkup sales only work when the weather is nice and it's convenient to go to the game.

The other obvious answer is that Cubs fans vastly outnumber Sox Fans. In fact, more (or nearly as many) Cubs fans showed up in Milwaukee to see the Lovable Losers on the road, than the Sox drew Sox Fans at home.
It ain't the ballpark (or the UD restriction policy) driving those trends. We're a minority, getting smaller all the time.

:angry:

If I'm not mistaken, tickets for 1/2 price nights for Monday games can be purchased in advance. I know it's different for Tuesday. But at the beginning of the season, a lot of us thought it was going to be a race between the Sox and Twins and it is. Why didn't those tickets sell faster in advance? The Cubs can sell out for a night game against Pittsburgh, sure the Sox can sell out a 1/2 price night game against their division rivals with 20 games left in the season.

It's amazing how far the Sox have fallen in the public's eye (and also how whiny some Sox fans have become.)

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, tickets for 1/2 price nights for Monday games can be purchased in advance. I know it's different for Tuesday. But at the beginning of the season, a lot of us thought it was going to be a race between the Sox and Twins and it is. Why didn't those tickets sell faster in advance? The Cubs can sell out for a night game against Pittsburgh, sure the Sox can sell out a 1/2 price night game against their division rivals with 20 games left in the season.

It's amazing how far the Sox have fallen in the public's eye (and also how whiny some Sox fans have become.)

Bob

You may be right about 1/2-price Monday advance sales. I know for fact discounts on Pepsi Tuesdays and $1 Kids Day Sundays are restricted to day of game sales. And just for the record, I'm not complaining about attendance or Sox stadium policy that arguably hinders attendance. I agree that plenty of Sox Fans posting here ought to deal with the reality of the situation and stop complaining. We're badly outnumbered, and I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better.

hold2dibber
09-08-2003, 02:42 PM

(1) Because the Cubs sell those tickets in advance, not on the day of the game.

(2) Because the Cubs primarily draw from the extremely populated and well-heeled neighbordhoods surrounding Wrigley, whereas the Sox draw primarily from the South suburbs. It is a lot easier for a Cubs fan to take a cab or a bus or walk a few blocks or miles to Wrigley than it is for a Sox fan to drive X numer of miles into the city and then have to drive back to the burbs after the game.

(3) Because Cubs games are attended, in large part, by 23 to 33 year olds (single, professional). The Sox games are attended, to a much larger extent, by high school and college kids. Those are the people that really drive up attendance during the summer. When school starts, they're not available to show up on a week night.

(4) Because 20+ years of alienating Sox fans has greatly eroded the Sox fan base to the point where there simply aren't as many Sox fans around, and many people who still consider themselves to be Sox fans, don't go to games any more.

OurBitchinMinny
09-08-2003, 05:07 PM
anything less than 35K is pathetic and the twins media and national media will have a field day ripping on sox fans like they always do. Not that twins fans should talk. They draw poorly too. Maybe not as much considering the ****hole they play in. 40K + should be what the sox draw