PDA

View Full Version : Section 500 restricted access, US Cellular Field

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm gathering votes to try & get the restricted 500 access decision repealed at SOX PARK.

As many of you know if you buy a 500 section ticket (Upperdeck BOX or reserved)
you are restricted from Lowerdeck access. That means you do not got to check out the CF view, the CF walkway, Bullpen sports bar, Fast pitch, & the many food canopies on the lower deck.

This policy really sucks & has kept myself & several friends from going to the ballpark.
You ask why only 24K were there on Sat. This is one of the primary reasons.
24K is pretty much close to Lowerdeck capacity. Who wants to buy a ticket to a game in which 50-75% of the amenities are restricted to Upperdeck ticket holders?

Thanks for your support!

voodoochile
09-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by JUGGERNAUT
I'm gathering votes to try & get the restricted 500 access decision repealed at SOX PARK.

As many of you know if you buy a 500 section ticket (Upperdeck BOX or reserved)
you are restricted from Lowerdeck access. That means you do not got to check out the CF view, the CF walkway, Bullpen sports bar, Fast pitch, & the many food canopies on the lower deck.

This policy really sucks & has kept myself & several friends from going to the ballpark.
You ask why only 24K were there on Sat. This is one of the primary reasons.
24K is pretty much close to Lowerdeck capacity. Who wants to buy a ticket to a game in which 50-75% of the amenities are restricted to Upperdeck ticket holders?

Thanks for your support!

Buy a lower deck ticket if it means that much to you. You can get into the BPB with a UD ticket. How often does one need to walk around the lower bowl. Buy a LD ticket and do it once then you don't need to do it anymore. There are tons of good food canopys on the UD, so don't blame that factor. Fast pitch is when you first enter the stadium, right? You can do that before the game and then go to your seats.

Have you actually tried and been rejected, or are you speculating and assuming?

CHISOXFAN13
09-08-2003, 11:25 AM
I agree on one count, and I have a few friends that refuse to go into the Upper Deck for this reason.

FOOD CHOICES.

If there is a big crowd and we can't get a ticket in the lower bowl, we are restricted to a much weaker menu.

My favorite menu item is the corned beef snadwich, which is available only in the lower level.

Luckily, I haven't had to sit up there very often in the 35 games I've attended.

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 11:28 AM
The policy is clearly stated at the BALL PARK & at the website where you buy tickets.

You F'g MOMO's!

If there was a LD ticket available to buy this is a NON F'g issue!

Either there are resident trolls here voting NO, or DUMBASS SOX FANS voting NO.

If you are a SOX fan who frequents the park & you vote NO then you are are a DUMBASS.

Plain & simple.

There's a F'g MAYBE option for those who don't want to vote YES but go to the park.

:angry:

voodoochile
09-08-2003, 11:31 AM
The policy is clearly stated at the BALL PARK & at the website where you buy tickets.

You F'g MOMO's!

If you are a SOX fan who frequents the park & you vote NO then you are are a DUMBASS.

Plain & simple.

There's a F'g MAYBE option for those who don't want to vote YES but go to the park.

Calling all the posters who disagree with you names is a really bad idea. Get over it...

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Deleted Post for Language violation

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 11:36 AM
I cannot believe we have a poll going on here complaining about restricted lower-deck access while simultaneously there are other threads beefing about low attendance and fan indifference.

You folks who bitch about the Sox and attendance really need to make up your minds... either buy a lower deck seat in advance (if not day of game) or take your chances and save some money waiting till the last minute but end up sitting in the upper deck. But by all means, STOP BITCHING because there are definitely seats available!

Sheesh...

Jerko
09-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Sorry Juggernaut, but I agree with the 500 level policy. Obviously on nights there are 12000 people there, there should be some leniency and some sort of 'usher discretion'; but I have weekend seats in section 158, and before the upper deck policy was in place, every Saturday night game was unbearable, with thousands of people blocking every aisle, concession stand, and restroom in our area. Not to mention the ones pissing in the sinks and/or the exit ramps cause there was no room in the regular stalls. Sorry, but if I take the time and spend the $$$ to be a season ticker holder in the lower bowl, I want access to that area of the park without having to walk through people's piss on my way out or see some guy with his johnson dangling over the edge of a sink. That's Wrigley behavior.

doogiec
09-08-2003, 11:41 AM

You F'g MOMO's!

Plain & simple.

You can expect to get a lot more support due to the above post.

Seriously, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

LD tickets have been available for practically every game this season. All you need to do is decide to go a couple of days ahead of the actual game date, a spend a few more dollars if access to the fan deck or the chicken stand is so important. If not, pay less money and just go to enjoy the game.

And yes, I'm a dumbass and damn proud of it..

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Try thinking of someone other than yourselves once in a while.

The players have told you they like to play behind big crowds. They play better behind big crowds.

The fans have told you they don't like not being able to walk around the park at times when they buy a 500 section ticket.

There are only 24K tickets available in the LD. Someone has to sit in the UD to get us past the 24K mark each game!

Restricting the best parts of the ballpark to these fans makes no sense.

Those fans are the difference between a 70MIL payroll & a 50ishMIL payroll.

Think about it.

Yes, this was never a problem when there were plenty of LD seats available.

Heaven forbid we should start attracting more fans.

voodoochile
09-08-2003, 11:44 AM

The players have told you they like to play behind big crowds. They play better behind big crowds.

The fans have told you they don't like not being able to walk around the park at times when they buy a 500 section ticket.

There are only 24K tickets available in the LD. Someone has to sit in the UD to get us past the 24K mark each game!

Think about it.

Thank you, a much nicer way of influencing the vote.

Do you have a link to the UD seating policy from the official site? I have been looking for a while and cannot find one. All I can find on the official site about the BPB is that you need a ticket and can enter through gate two.

WhiteSoxWinner
09-08-2003, 11:46 AM
I think you worded your question poorly. I would not be more inclined to go to more games if they repealed the UD rule because I never sit up there. If I go to a game, I almost always buy a LD ticket. If I have to sit in the UD, I'll deal.

Perhaps what you should have asked is if people agree with the UD policy. I don't like the rule myself, but does it affect the number of games I attend? No.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 11:46 AM

Think about it.

We should print a copy of this post, frame it, and send it the Sox Marketing Department as the best example yet why relying on day-of-game walkup half-priced ticket sales ultimately hurts attendance at the ballpark. Fans are now complaining on those *rare* occasions when the lower bowl is soldout. Unbelievable...

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Thank you, a much nicer way of influencing the vote.

Do you have a link to the UD seating policy from the official site? I have been looking for a while and cannot find one. All I can find on the official site about the BPB is that you need a ticket and can enter through gate two.

Additional Information

1/2 PRICE MONDAY. FANS HOLDING INDIVIDUAL GAME TICKETS FOR THE UPPER DECK (500 LEVEL) WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS OTHER LEVELS OF THE BALLPARK.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/040036449D083D47/?

THE_HOOTER
09-08-2003, 11:49 AM
The policy is in effect for a few reasons:

1. To prevent people from buying cheaper seats and sitting wherever they like in the lower level.

2. To ensure there is no over-crowding in the lower level. If you sit in the lower level, you have noticed the availability of the washrooms and food. In the past, the washrooms and hotdog stand were unbearable.

This policy is in effect at many stadiums. The Old Chicago Stadium was the same way.

If you want the lower level experience, plan ahead and buy a ticket downstairs.

I am sure there are plenty available.

I vote No.

voodoochile
09-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Additional Information

1/2 PRICE MONDAY. FANS HOLDING INDIVIDUAL GAME TICKETS FOR THE UPPER DECK (500 LEVEL) WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS OTHER LEVELS OF THE BALLPARK.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/040036449D083D47/?

Well, that doesn't deny access to the BPB which is as you enter the park.

The rest isn't that big of a deal, IMO. There are fundamental cages as you enter at gate 3, so you can swing a bat there and there is a video game in the BPB you can swing it at.

Food seems like a secondary concern and on busy days when the park is crowded there are more than enough good choices in the UD. I think you are making this into a bigger issue than it is, but that is JMHO. Of course I like to sit in the UD, so that probably has something to do with my opinion...

alohafri
It would be nice if the Sox could amend their policy. Maybe they could restrict access to the LD during high attendance games, say, on half-price/Pepsi nights, weekends, and other games that draw large crowds. It seems a bit excessive to restrict access when there are only 15-16k in the park, and not everyone can afford a LD set all the time.

(Mrs. Aloha)

THE_HOOTER
The Bullpen Sports Bar is available to all sections and levels in the park.

If you think the 500 level should have access to all areas of the park, then please solve the over-crowded problem on the main concourse.

If you can tell me how you will solve the bathroom, long line food and beer stands I will vote yes.

JUGGERNAUT
So that people have a chance to re-cast their votes.

I just want to say that if the no votes win then I never want to hear any fan complain about attendance at WSI.

If the no votes win, it's obvious you like the attendance where it's at.

The Cell is rated as one of the best food parks in all of sports. Yet, you think it's fine that UD ticket holders don't have access to it.

The SOX spent millions on the Cell's CF view & walkway yet you think it's fine UD ticket holders don't have access to it.

So be it.

I'm done trying to help this team.

voodoochile
09-08-2003, 11:54 AM

I just want to say that if the no votes win then I never want to hear any fan complain about attendance at WSI.

The Cell is rated as one of the best food parks in all of sports. Yet, you think it's fine that UD ticket holders don't have access to it.

The SOX spent millions on the Cell's CF view & walkway yet you think it's fine UD ticket holders don't have access to it.

So be it.

You want me to clear the No votes, so the Yes votes can win? Um... that seems a bit arbitrary, doesn't it?

people are voting how they feel. If someone posts that they want their vote changed, I will be glad to do so...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I think you worded your question poorly. I would not be more inclined to go to more games if they repealed the UD rule because I never sit up there. If I go to a game, I almost always buy a LD ticket. If I have to sit in the UD, I'll deal.

Perhaps what you should have asked is if people agree with the UD policy. I don't like the rule myself, but does it affect the number of games I attend? No.

It should go without saying that none of us *like* the rule. It's not fan-friendly in the least. However there is no good way to keep crowd control when the Ligues and Dybases have a "family outing" at the ol' ballpark. The alternative to this rule is to have security ringing the entire field for every pitched ball. That ain't gonna happen, nor should it.

We're stuck with U.S. Cellular exactly like it is. Either we deal with crowd control issues or we let the Dybases and Ligues run amok. If you really want to hurt attendance, do nothing to address this issue and let what has been happening continue unabated. We can all agree on this, can't we?

sox_fan_forever
09-08-2003, 11:56 AM

That's stupid. You asked us if we'd go to more games, not whether or not we like the attendance.

voodoochile
09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It should go without saying that none of us *like* the rule. It's not fan-friendly in the least. However there is no good way to keep crowd control when the Ligues and Dybases have a "family outing" at the ol' ballpark. The alternative to this rule is to have security ringing the entire field for every pitched ball. That ain't gonna happen, nor should it.

We're stuck with U.S. Cellular exactly like it is. Either we deal with crowd control issues or we let the Dybases and Ligues run amok. If you really want to hurt attendance, do nothing to address this issue and let what has been happening continue unabated. We can all agree on this, can't we?

I think it is more than that. I think the UD is underrated (how can people think less of it?). By forcing people to sit up there when they buy tickets, they have a chance to change the perception which in the long run will be much more likely to increase attendance, IMO.

sox_fan_forever
09-08-2003, 11:59 AM
I think it is more than that. I think the UD is underrated

I agree 100% with that. I had never sat in the UD until this year, yet that is where I have gotten tickets for the majority of the games I've gone to this year. I think I like the UD the best. I'm sure some of you will think I am crazy.

doogiec
09-08-2003, 12:03 PM
The Sox allowed unlimited access from the Upper deck last season (except Opening Day and Cubs Sox series) and the Upper Deck was constantly empty.

They allowed access at the beginning of this season, and the Upper Deck was constantly empty.

Other than making the food and bathroom lines longer in the lower deck, and encouraging people who would buy lower deck tickets to spend less money buying upper deck tickets, how does this affect attendance?

If they did not show up when access was allowed before, why would they now?

Do you really think there are thousands of people who won't buy tickets unless they can stand on the fan deck for a couple of inninngs? That area is the only significant improvement to the lower deck between last season and this season.

Jerko
09-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Not having to see grown men peeing in the corner of every ramp on the way out of the park, let alone in the sinks of the bathrooms of the lower deck, is enough incentive for me to vote no no matter how many times you clear the poll. Let's look at your arguments, though. Do you really think that repealing the UD policy will raise attendance to a point where it is noticeable? The UD policy did not go into effect until THIS year started. Where were all the sellouts last year with the old policy in place? The year before? Before that? If you really think repealing the UD policy will attract enough new fans to make a difference, well, I humbly disagree. You can buy 100 level tickets on most half price nights too you know. Like I said in an earlier post, BEFORE the UD policy was in effect, it was unbearable to sit in the lower deck. I am a stadium club member and if it gets too nasty in the lower deck I go upstairs. If I was not a SC member, I would cancel my tickets without the UD policy in place. I would RATHER sit in the upper deck WITH the policy in place now than in the lower deck without it. Just my opinion obviously.

anewman35
09-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
The policy is in effect for a few reasons:

1. To prevent people from buying cheaper seats and sitting wherever they like in the lower level.

2. To ensure there is no over-crowding in the lower level. If you sit in the lower level, you have noticed the availability of the washrooms and food. In the past, the washrooms and hotdog stand were unbearable.

The annoying thing to me (and if you remember, I was very annoyed by this when it first happened, I'm a bit more mellow now) is that they did it in response to the idiots running on the field, claiming that it would help security and implying only people with upper deck seats would run on the field. If the Sox had given the reasons listed, I'd have been much less upset about the whole thing.

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
I agree 100% with that. I had never sat in the UD until this year, yet that is where I have gotten tickets for the majority of the games I've gone to this year. I think I like the UD the best. I'm sure some of you will think I am crazy.

You are clearly in the minority or there would be more fans overcoming the Vertigo.

Seriously, an UD BOX ticket is not that bad nor either is the vertigo. I used to sit there on times before the policy was changed.

My friends & I like to walk the concourse. It's a happening place.
We keep our 500 sec seats & don't take LD seats but we like to walk the concourse.

Look, season ticket holders are the fan base. If you're happy with a team that struggles to exceed mediocrity with a mid 50mil payroll each year, then your opinion counts more than us walk-up or game-at-a-time fans.

thepaulbowski
09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
You want me to clear the No votes, so the Yes votes can win? Um... that seems a bit arbitrary, doesn't it?

people are voting how they feel. If someone posts that they want their vote changed, I will be glad to do so...

Hey, this is Chicago...I want my vote counted at least 2-3 times!! :D:

doogiec
09-08-2003, 12:16 PM
You are clearly in the minority or there would be more fans overcoming the Vertigo.

Seriously, an UD BOX ticket is not that bad nor either is the vertigo. I used to sit there on times before the policy was changed.

My friends & I like to walk the concourse. It's a happening place.
We keep our 500 sec seats & don't take LD seats but we like to walk the concourse.

Look, season ticket holders are the fan base. If you're happy with a team that struggles to exceed mediocrity with a mid 50mil payroll each year, then your opinion counts more than us walk-up or game-at-a-time fans.

Speaking of walk up sales, a quick glance at Ticketmaster at noon Monday tells me there are still lower deck seats available for tonight's game, possibly the most important game of the season. At $14.50 each, with complete access to the park, you can't beat that deal.

thepaulbowski
09-08-2003, 12:21 PM

So be it.

I have no problem getting what I pay for. I have sat in the upper deck a few times this year. They aren't the best of seats, but I paid for the upper deck, not tickets behind home plate. It seems like with this reasoning, that when I buy end zone seats to a football game, I should be allowed the fifty yard line view.

In the times I have sat in the UD, I have seen plenty of food & drink available and a good selection with minimal lines.

The Sox attendance wasn't good in 2000, when they didn't have this policy and it is up from last year when they didn't have this policy. I think blaming attendance problems on this policy is not accurate. I don't think this policy is holding a large amount of fans back.

If I really want to go to a game I'd sit in the last row if I had too, but then I just love being at a ballpark watching baseball.

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Speaking of walk up sales, a quick glance at Ticketmaster at noon Monday tells me there are still lower deck seats available for tonight's game, possibly the most important game of the season. At $14.50 each, with complete access to the park, you can't beat that deal.

I don't know where you got that, but they are $12.00 ea + $4.00 handling via tm.

But they are going fast as the best seats available at sec 108.

doublem23
09-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Buy your tickets early then.

I'll sit in the first row, right behind home plate, or I'll sit in the last row of the upper deck... Makes no difference to me. Hell, I like the UD because it saves a lil' money and if that means I can't go down to the Lower Bowl, so be it.

No... I wouldn't go to more/less Sox games if the upper deck was restricted or not. And, voodoo asked this question a while earlier, yes, they do check tickets. Twice I've tried the ol' Comiskey Upgrade and twice been turned away. At least Sox security is doing their job.

doublem23
09-08-2003, 12:57 PM
I don't know where you got that, but they are $12.00 ea + $4.00 handling via tm.

But they are going fast as the best seats available at sec 108.

Go to the Box Office now and avoid the Ticketmaster charge, then.

doublem23
09-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Pfft! The Upper Deck is fine. Ever been to Camden Yards? Man, that place is steep, too.

All I can take from this thread is that you, JUGGERNAUT, are trying to screw the Sox. Instead of buying a LD ticket early, you'd rather just cheat your team out of a couple of bucks. Don't get mad at those of us with enough sense to buy our tickets early when you get stuck in Section 528.

:whiner:

Dadawg_77
09-08-2003, 01:02 PM
The Sox have overpriced the product and the market can't support the prices of the ticket. The Sox need to lower the prices of tickets in order to generate more demand, or the Sox have the prices at the level which will generate good amount of revenue but not enough tickets sold so they can avoid paying rent. Something tells me it is the latter.

Kilroy
09-08-2003, 01:12 PM

I voted no, and I never complain about attendance. I get 27 games in my season ticket package, and I always manage to get lowerdeck for the other 4 to 5 games I go to besides. Plain and simply put, I couldn't give a **** about how many show night in and night out. It doesn't make it more fun for me at the game if 45k show versus 25k. And believe it or not, I don't go to the games to marvel at the huge crowds.

anewman35
09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The Sox have overpriced the product and the market can't support the prices of the ticket. The Sox need to lower the prices of tickets in order to generate more demand, or the Sox have the prices at the level which will generate good amount of revenue but not enough tickets sold so they can avoid paying rent. Something tells me it is the latter.

The Sox tried lowering ticket prices for the Boston series. We saw how well that went...

maurice
09-08-2003, 01:16 PM
The question posted is: "Would you go to more games if the Sox repealed [the UD policy]?" "No" is the only reasonable answer for anyone who bought season tickets, a pretty solid percentage of the posters here. I seriously doubt that such a truthful answer makes any of these primary Sox supporters selfish or any less of a Sox fan.

:?:

If you don't like the answers, ask a different question. Don't try to rig the vote.

duke of dorwood
09-08-2003, 01:18 PM
I like the rule-when I had season tix, there were problems in the section next to us that was always empty with those that sat there for a while during games. Hows this-charge 20.00 for a lower deck standing ticket-this way the $ gets received and one can walk around for 3 hours? Thats where this is going.
We have had tickets available for so long, people forgot how to select games in advance and either go down to the park, or buy in advance over computer. People do get spoiled.

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Post deleted for languange infractions. Juggernaut, I have done this twice now, don't make me do it a third time.

-VC

anewman35
09-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Post deleted for language infraction.

Dude, see, I was as upset about the UD policy as anybody, and I want to agree with you. But your argument makes no sense. It asks "would you go to more games". If a person has season tickets, or always sits in the lower deck anyway, they won't say yes, because it doesn't affect them at all (or if it does, it just helps them). How does that give you any conclusions at all? If your question was "do you agree with the policy", then the vote might mean something (although not really, no silly poll here is going to change anything the Sox do).

maurice
09-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Those SOX fans who voted NO don't give a **** about attendance.

Or (among many other things) already have season tickets and thus are unable to "go to more games."

:threadsucks

doublem23
09-08-2003, 01:26 PM

You're obviously happy with your excuses for what SOX fans should do to get good seats to enjoy the ballpark.

It's not an excuse... It's basic sense out of Economics 101... Limited supply with a great demand equals tickets get sold fast, so buy them quickly.

And don't whine and bitch that you can't go down to the Lower Deck when you didn't pay for it. Boo frickity hoo.

I think anyone that would be so fickle as to base their decision to go to a Sox game based on whether or not they get to walk around the concourse or sit in the upper deck are the ones that don't care about attendance. If everyone just went to the Sox game instead of giving lame excuses like, "Eww.. I don't like the Upper Deck," we'd draw 35,000 every night.

doublem23
09-08-2003, 01:27 PM
My tm transaction was denied.

Duh! It's too close to game time... But of course, if we planned (who didn't think Sox-Twins in September wasn't going to be a huge series) and bought the tickets even 24 HOURS in advance, you'd be able to get them at Will Call.

Aw shucks.

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The question posted is: "Would you go to more games if the Sox repealed [the UD policy]?" "No" is the only reasonable answer for anyone who bought season tickets, a pretty solid percentage of the posters here. I seriously doubt that such a truthful answer makes any of these primary Sox supporters selfish or any less of a Sox fan.

:?:

If you don't like the answers, ask a different question. Don't try to rig the vote.

I agree with. Since I can not change the poll I will create a new one with a better question.

jabrch
09-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Jugger...

I have been to 10 games this season. For 7 of them, I sat in the lower bowl. For 1 I was in the 300s and for 2 I was in 500 Row 5. I tell you what... All of them were fun. If someone calls me today with 2 in the 500 section, I'd probably go. I am going tomorrow. I have no tickets yet. If I get lowers, great, if not, fine. I'll sit in the 500 section. Let me make a comparison for you...

I don't know how many people here go to the Opera or to plays all too often... But if you buy a lower level ticket, you pay a lot more, even proportionally. (Sox tickets are about 2X as much from the best to the worst. Opera/Theater can be 20X as much) For that, you get certain benefits. I can't afford 2 $250 tickets to take my wife, so we often sit in the $50 seats or the $25 seats. I don't complain that the people below me have better views, better access to amenities, and better service. If I want that, I can go and buy it. Geez Jugs, its not like Sox games are really sold out anyhow...Even with this team where it is, you can get lowers to just about every remaining game this season.

If the Sox were to change the policy, then fewer people would purchase lowers in advance. They'd buy uppers instead. Then they could walk down and benefit from the ammenities without having paid for them. So then revenues would decrease, and we'd still have a $50mm payroll. I don't buy it one bit.

When I go to games and pay $30 for a ticket, I expect better service than when I pay $12. And when I pay $12, I am willing to tolerate lesser service than when I pay $30.

Oh, by the way, if you like the corned beef so much, and that is why you don't go to more games in the 500 level section, let me give you a suggestion. Stop off at Manny's on your way to the game. Get a big corned beef and bring it with you to the park. You will save about half of the $6.50 that the sandwich costs, plus save about $15.00 on the ticket when you sit in 500.

I'd love more people in the park, but not at the expense of reducing the comfort level of those who already come and have been coming for 10 years.

Jason

thepaulbowski
09-08-2003, 01:56 PM
My tm transaction was denied.

My transaction went through, maybe its a conspiracy. :D:

gosox41
09-08-2003, 02:00 PM

You F'g MOMO's!

Plain & simple.

Nice little tirade. Being a season ticket holder in the lower bowl I like the UD policy. It also has little effect on rather I'd go to more games or not, though the less I deal with people like you the better.

Bob

Bob

MarqSox
09-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Post deleted for language infraction.

I complain about attendance.
I don't have season tickets.
I like the UD policy in place.
Apparently that makes me a "mutha-f'er."

Look dude, I don't know what your deal is, but you have one of the worst "I'm right and if you don't agree with me you're stupid" attitudes of anyone on WSI, and that's saying a LOT.

I really don't think there are that many people who decide not to go to games because of the policy. A few, perhaps ... but those are offset by the people who make return visits that they wouldn't otherwise make without the policy due to overflow crowds on the lower deck. Buy a damn lower deck ticket and quit your bitching. If you think it's unfair that the Sox would dare charge full price for their product, consider the extra cost of a lower deck seat your "User's Fee" for wandering the concourse.

Which brings me to my next point -- you're awfully condescending toward your fellow Sox fans in this thread, especially considering you yourself apparently care more about getting access to churros and the leftfield shower than you do about watching the game. I've got nothing against churros or the leftfield shower or whatever the hell else you so badly want to do on the lower concourse, but it shouldn't be the make or break point of going to the game.

soxnut
09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
I voted no as well. I go to the games anyway regardless of the policy. I don't like the policy, but I understand it.

I emailed Rob Gallas a few weeks ago about the policy, and he said that they don't plan on changing it. He mentioned about how it keeps the concourses clear. And, after reading the posts from the season ticket holders, I can understand why the policy is in place.(even though the fan incidents have been the knee-jerk reaction that started all of this)

But, if attracting people to sit in the upper deck is important, then there should be some unique features in the upper deck to make it more attractive. In Atlanta, they have an upper deck section in the left field corner that is level, and has a standing room area and picnic tables, and offers a view of the city skyline---maybe that could work here. :smile:

JohnJeter
09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Now THAT's an idea soxnut. When I've visited Safeco, I've had lower deck seats, but have found myself heading into the UD to get at this or that concession or feature which is not available on the LD. Vary the offerings around the park (i.e., from level to level) and perceptions might change.

soxnut
09-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Now THAT's an idea soxnut. When I've visited Safeco, I've had lower deck seats, but have found myself heading into the UD to get at this or that concession or feature which is not available on the LD. Vary the offerings around the park (i.e., from level to level) and perceptions might change.

Yeah, see that's what they have to do. Hopefully something will be done when they do the renovations.

Soxfan7070
09-08-2003, 08:32 PM
I agree with the wording of the poll being wrong. I for one will go to games regardless of the policy. I usually don't walk around too much because I don't want to miss anything.

JUGGERNAUT
09-08-2003, 08:54 PM
But a lot of good points have been made.

It seems the general consensus by season ticket holders is that by virtue of their place they are entitled to the concourse & UD holders are not.

They make valid points that the concourses used to get over-crowded but again both this year & in the past I've been to several big crowd games including the chi-series & the wait for broom duties is still far less than at Wrigley.

So it doesn't look too me like there is a solution to this any time soon. I still manage about 10 gms a yr with various casual fans & we do sit in the LD behind the BPs.

The majority of casual fans I've taken to the ball game don't like the UD. They complain the most about the stair wells.
To the casual fan they are death-defying to walk down.

So they try to keep the number of trips up & down those stairs to a minimum.

To be honest they like to walk around
the concourse around the 7th inning on.
It's sort of like saying the 7th inning stretch is the time to check out more Food & the concourse before heading home.

In the few times I've been there we've never once tried to move down to a lower seat.

There are things that I think would cost less but enhance the experience in the UD:

1) Rental of binoculars for a $2/$3 gm.
These can be made pretty much unbreakable for a cheap price today & I definitely think it would enhance the view. I often take the cam corder to the game anyways to try & enhance the experience for the crowd I'm with.

2) Stair entrances at the top. I think if you split the difference on the swells it would make it less death-defying as there are less stairs to walk then.
This one will take some major dough though.

doogiec
09-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Reinsdorf has commented several times that it was a major design error to have the entrance to upper deck sections at the bottom of the aisle, rather than in the middle.

If a major upper deck renovation is really in the works, I wouldn't be surprised if that is addressed in some fashion.

The UD is high and steep, but the initial climb to the seats makes it seem worse than it actually is.

steff
09-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Oh this is rich... He tried the same thing on SoxTalk yesterday and got the SAME EXACT RESPONSE!!! ROTFLMAO!!

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

hsnterprize
09-09-2003, 07:39 AM
I talked with Jerry Reinsdorf when I was at the game the other night (I'll post pictures of '83 Sox players to the site soon...keep looking), and he told me there will be MAJOR renovations done to the park over the next 2 years. He didn't elaborate on what was going on, but he said, and I quote, that he's taking ideas like the upper deck changes and such, "into consideration."