PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Quote Of The Day 9/8

Lip Man 1
09-07-2003, 11:45 PM
"I believe we'll win at least three out of four." --Paul Konerko to Bill Jauss of the Chicago Tribune.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

We never friggin' learn do we?

Just shut your friggin' mouth and play...let your actions ON the field do the talking.

Dammit, the Twins don't need any additional motivation and we just gave it to them... stupid SOB!

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
09-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Yeah, that's dumb, but I don't think it will really change anything during this series. The Sox know the Twins are punks, while the Twins come into every series against us with that huge chip on their shoulders. I just hope Konerko can back up the smack-talk with more potent "O."

MarqSox
09-08-2003, 07:20 AM
I don't mind that. We're better, we know we're better and the Twins know we're better. Why pretend otherwise?

Besides, by my calculations, the Sox are now 8-1 in "guaranteed victory" games. I'll take that.

WinningUgly!
09-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"I believe we'll win at least three out of four." --Paul Konerko to Bill Jauss of the Chicago Tribune.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

Just shut your friggin' mouth and play...let your actions ON the field do the talking.

Dammit, the Twins don't need any additional motivation and we just gave it to them... stupid SOB!

Lip

The Twins weren't interested in trying to win the series before Konerko said this?

thepaulbowski
09-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

Lip

If it takes material like this to get a team motivated, then they aren't professionals. I think BB-material loses most of its affect after people turn pro (or at least it should). How long has Steinbrenner been running his mouth in NY, but Boston never seems able to win, even with all the BB material. The only thing that has come of it is being referred to as the "evil empire".

MarqSox
09-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
If it takes material like this to get a team motivated, then they aren't professionals. I think BB-material loses most of its affect after people turn pro (or at least it should). How long has Steinbrenner been running his mouth in NY, but Boston never seems able to win, even with all the BB material. The only thing that has come of it is being referred to as the "evil empire".
Well, let's not kid ourselves: motivation alone rarely competes with superior talent. That said, when the teams are closely matched, it never hurts either.

faneidde
09-08-2003, 08:59 AM
This is a total non-issue. If this were midseason it might have an affect, but not in the middle of a pennant race. Both teams will be plenty motivated regardless of what anyone says.

Dadawg_77
09-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
This is a total non-issue. If this were midseason it might have an affect, but not in the middle of a pennant race. Both teams will be plenty motivated regardless of what anyone says.

If the Twins need BB material to get themselves motivated to play for the divisional crown then Sox have already won the day. BB material could effect games vs lower end of teams who are already out of it, but the top tier teams should know what is at stake and come to play just because of that.

faneidde
09-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Paulie just said what all White Sox fans know. The Sox are the better team and are going to show it starting tonight at the Cell.

soxtalker
09-08-2003, 09:45 AM
While I'd normally be concerned about the motivational factor, I have to agree with the points raised by the others on the board.

However, I'm wondering what this says about the attitude of the Sox players. There is a fine line between being over confident and just plain confident. I don't really care too much about how we stack up "on paper" anymore. We're tied, and the Twins have been just as much on a roll as the Sox (actually a half-game better since the break). Breaks seem to be falling their way a lot (highlighted by the game last week with the Angels that the catcher failed to tag out the runner at the plate in the bottom of the ninth).

inta
09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
i'm mixed on this.
while i love seeing the sox confident, (and paulie's stats of late show he has reason to be confident).

i DO NOT want to see a plunk-ball fest that might result in ejections. we've had some scuffles with the twins already this year.

and if the sox fans start throwing litter on the field, you KNOW it will get 10x more coverage by the national media than what happened at the urinal last week.

kittle42
09-08-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by inta

and if the sox fans start throwing litter on the field, you KNOW it will get 10x more coverage by the national media than what happened at the urinal last week.

You're assuming that fans are actually going to show up.

Dan H
09-08-2003, 12:10 PM
I don't have a problem with Konerko saying this. He is supposed to be confident. Yes, you do have to back up what you say. But I don't mind a little swagger. Besides I don't see the Twins getting any more than two wins no matter how motivated they are.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Dan:

As I suggested on another thread the pressure is on the Sox to take at least three games.

The Twins would LOVE to come in and get two wins, they'd be thrilled!

Why? because it maintains the status quo and throws the pressure solely on the Sox who then have to go to Boston for three and then to Minnesota for three.

The Sox MUST put some distance between themselves and Minnesota before the road trip. The difference in schedules is going to get bigger and bigger and have more importance with every passing day that the Sox have to play Boston etc while Minnesota is killing the Tigers.

That's why what Konerko said is just plain stupid! The pressure is already on the Sox because the series is at home and they have to win three games (in my opinion). The Twins only have to win two.

Why make that task even more difficult by opening your mouth?

Lip