PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay Comments

Lip Man 1
09-07-2003, 11:44 PM
For what it's worth on Instant Replay (WGN-TV 9:40 PM Central) Dan Rohn twice used the word embarrassment or embarrassing to describe the crowds at the Sox games this weekend.

He urged fans to come out for the Minnesota series saying it's half price night on Monday and two first place teams are playing. He asked rhetorically "what more can you want?"

Obviously the hated for Jerry Reinsdorf and his organization continues to run deeper then even I imagined.

While Uncle Jerry deserves every insult the fans can give him perhaps it is time for the rest of the season to lay the weapon down and support the club.

When the season ends and Uncle Jerry doesn't sign any of his free agents (particularly Colon) we can pick the ax again and bury it right between his shoulder blades.

Lip

TornLabrum
09-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth on Instant Replay (WGN-TV 9:40 PM Central) Dan Rohn twice used the word embarrassment or embarrassing to describe the crowds at the Sox games this weekend.

He urged fans to come out for the Minnesota series saying it's half price night on Monday and two first place teams are playing. He asked rhetorically "what more can you want?"

Obviously the hated for Jerry Reinsdorf and his organization continues to run deeper then even I imagined.

While Uncle Jerry deserves every insult the fans can give him perhaps it is time for the rest of the season to lay the weapon down and support the club.

When the season ends and Uncle Jerry doesn't sign any of his free agents (particularly Colon) we can pick the ax again and bury it right between his shoulder blades.

Lip

Dan Roan is an employee of the Cubune Co. Of course he'd say it's an embarrassment. The Bears game started at 3:00 today, iirc. Our game started at 1:00. I'm willing to bet a lot of people were in front of their televisions.

As for coming out, I have a job that requires a lot of work outside of the workday. I've been to close to 20 games already, and I have tickets for tomorrow night and the 21st against KC. That's all I could afford, and all the time I dared take this month with school starting again.

In general: Attendance threads suck!

Chisox_cali
09-08-2003, 12:16 AM

Lip

Hmmm death fantasy...You know this is just baseball right? You act like it's some "Dynasty" ****...

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Chisox Cali:

You realize of course that was done metaphorically?

Don't take it so personal OK, I know you live in California but come on, what are you going to sue me next?

Lip

Chisox_cali
09-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Chisox Cali:

You realize of course that was done metaphorically?

Don't take it so personal OK, I know you live in California but come on, what are you going to sue me next?

Lip

Yes, I'm gonna sue you....

Kind of a sick way to use a metaphor.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2003, 01:05 AM
Obviously the hatred for Jerry Reinsdorf and his organization continues to run deeper then even I imagined. Jeez Lip, give it a rest. It's impossible for the hatred for Reinsdorf to run deeper than you imagine. There is no deeper hatred for Reinsdorf than you imagine.

Seriously. Most fans, particularly casual fans (who make up a big part of Cubs attendance) really don't give a Tinker's damn who owns the team.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-08-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
As for coming out, I have a job that requires a lot of work outside of the workday. I've been to close to 20 games already, and I have tickets for tomorrow night and the 21st against KC. That's all I could afford, and all the time I dared take this month with school starting again.

I couldn't agree with you more. I would love to attend all 81 home games, but work and school won't allow it.
I am a weekend season ticket holder, and I do what I can. But the media needs to help out. Unfortunately there are too many uninformed people who think that the area around the Cell is not safe. Why? because "non-whites" live in the area?

Before anyone starts attacking me on this one, let me just say this. I don't mean to make this post about race or the media, it is just that when it boils down to it, it is part of the problem.

doublem23
09-08-2003, 02:46 AM
People who care about attendance are Cub fans.

And I'll leave it at that.

Chalk up 35,000+ at the park tomorrow. Will that tickle your pickle, Lip? :whiner:

MarqSox
09-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Dan Roan is an employee of the Cubune Co. Of course he'd say it's an embarrassment. The Bears game started at 3:00 today, iirc. Our game started at 1:00. I'm willing to bet a lot of people were in front of their televisions.

Roan is right though ... it IS embarrassing! Especially when the Cubs managed to sell out Miller Park for three straight games, setting an all-time weekend attendance record at the Milwaukee stadium.

Guys, that wasn't a case of people coming out to see The Urinal. That was a case of 40,000 people driving 90 miles to see a game in a crappy retro park.

We done got shown up, big time. As for people saving their money for the big Twins and KC series, a quick check of Ticketmaster indicates the Sox had better be hoping for a gigantic walkup sale. :whiner:

34rancher
09-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Attendance is like being popular in high school. Eventually you wake up and realize that the popular people are really losers, while the quiet kids are marrying the supermodels.

RELAX....who cares?

MarqSox
09-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Attendance is like being popular in high school. Eventually you wake up and realize that the popular people are really losers, while the quiet kids are marrying the supermodels.

RELAX....who cares?
Free agents ... ownership (and by extension, GMs) ... media ... casual fans ... the players themselves ...

Pretty much everyone except hardcore Sox fans who are in denial that fan support for this team is god-awful.

hsnterprize
09-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Look...I know this "attendance" thing has been beaten to death, but whether or not WGN or any other Tribune-related product mentioned it, the bottom line is that while Flub fans ventured up to Milwaukee to see Randall Simon get sausage-bashing flashbacks, under 20,000 saw the Sox win a great come-from-behind game. I know there are more important issues in life to attend to, but I'm sure the thousands of people who drove up to Milwaukee had more important things to deal with too. They just decided that going to see their team on the road was more important than whatever else was going on in their lives. So, like it or not, a sold-out stadium full of fans rooting for the VISITING TEAM looks a whole lot better than a home stadium not even half-way full...and the home team is in first place.

You can call it a Cubune thing if you want to, but I'm seeing people on ALL the local networks mention it, and believe it or not, not all of the reporters talking about it are Cub fans. And Cub-fan reporters are saying there's "no excuse" for fans not to come to the bark tonight...it's half-price night. And you know what...I agree. I admit I wish I could be there, but it'll be nice seeing a full stadium for the next 4 days.

Like what I'm saying or not...I don't care. That ballpark needs to be FULL tonight. Don't worry about what the media says. Just show up and support the Sox. It's as simple as that.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Roan is right though ... it IS embarrassing! Especially when the Cubs managed to sell out Miller Park for three straight games, setting an all-time weekend attendance record at the Milwaukee stadium.

Guys, that wasn't a case of people coming out to see The Urinal. That was a case of 40,000 people driving 90 miles to see a game in a crappy retro park....

Great point, Marq. I would take this as the most damning proof yet that there is little if any truth to the endless complaints about why the Cell is such a lousy ballpark for drawing fans compared to the Urinal. It's not. Flubbie fans might prefer the Urinal, but there were enough of them willing to drive 90 miles just to see their Lovable Losers in Milwaukee, too. Those games were not played in the Urinal.

Face it, folks. We're outnumbered by a far greater margin than any of us realize. The Sox can't even attract more fans than the Cubs when the Cubs are on the road.

It's got nothing to do with the people reading this. We're fine. It's the fact there aren't enough of us left to attend a ballgame on a weekend during a pennant race that is disturbing. The Cubune has completely flattened Reinsdorf for the city's fans. Not even a publicly-financed ballpark filled with Diamond Suites could save Reinsdorf from himself. He pissed away his attendance bonanza in less than 7 years. It's definitely his fault, but we're paying the price, too.

In the entire 103 year history of the White Sox franchise, there has never been a period when the team was more eclipsed than it is right now. That is sad... and definitely not the fault of Sox Fans--the ones that are left, anyway.

34rancher
09-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Free agents ... ownership (and by extension, GMs) ... media ... casual fans ... the players themselves ...

Pretty much everyone except hardcore Sox fans who are in denial that fan support for this team is god-awful.
Not to beat a dead horse to death, but how many Prime time Free agents have turned us down for the Cubs? Who was their last big name pick up in the free agent world?
Ownership? I could care less about the owners. Everytime Uncle Jerry has tried to sign a free agent with a name, nothing good has come out of it. Face it, the #1 reason that any free agent looks at the Sox is because they have been injured and they want to come back. Herm is the reason we get a lot of people, I mean heck he got Anna Kournakova to come in.......

Let the players care. They play better with a chip on their shoulder anyways. And if you think that the Sox are hurting for money, realize that Jerry Reinsdorf might be one of the smartest, most fiscal men in all of sports.

People, RELAX!!!

34rancher
09-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Not to beat a dead horse to death, but how many Prime time Free agents have turned us down for the Cubs? Who was their last big name pick up in the free agent world?
Ownership? I could care less about the owners. Everytime Uncle Jerry has tried to sign a free agent with a name, nothing good has come out of it. Face it, the #1 reason that any free agent looks at the Sox is because they have been injured and they want to come back. Herm is the reason we get a lot of people, I mean heck he got Anna Kournakova to come in.......

Let the players care. They play better with a chip on their shoulder anyways. And if you think that the Sox are hurting for money, realize that Jerry Reinsdorf might be one of the smartest, most fiscal men in all of sports.

People, RELAX!!!

And another thing, what was the attendance for that magical season in 1983??????

We are getting close to that this year.

Hokiesox
09-09-2003, 08:24 AM

RELAX....who cares?

I'm glad I was the quiet kid. Damn, that post is a metaphor for my entire life!

dougs78
09-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Jeez Lip, give it a rest. It's impossible for the hatred for Reinsdorf to run deeper than you imagine. There is no deeper hatred for Reinsdorf than you imagine.

Great point Nellie. That last part is so true, it cracked me up.

However, on the topic, I do wish the crowds were bigger. I know there are a myriad of reasons bantered around on this board everyday, but at some point I really wonder why it is. I do hope that as we come down the stretch and hopefully continue to play good baseball that the crowds grow and grow. If we can't get 2 million fans this season then thats about awful.

doublem23
09-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
If we can't get 2 million fans this season then thats about awful.

Eh, I don't know about that. They did play like crap for a good 1/2 of the year.

cheeses_h_rice
09-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Eh, I don't know about that. They did play like crap for a good 1/2 of the year.

MM, how 'bout a Shammy K update?

Kilroy
09-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Roan is right though ... it IS embarrassing!

What's embarrassing is that so many good Sox fans are worried about attendance when it really doesn't matter. Would you rather have a good team and mediocre attendance, or a ****ty team that always draws? Based on your choice of Chicago team, I think I know. And its damn pitiful that the media focuses on there being "only 32k" at the park. That's a 40% increase over the Sox average attendance. Just because its not a sellout doesn't mean it sucks. The media around here has brainwashed so many of you.

One more time; The Sox will not increase regular attendance until they sustain good play and compete for the playoffs and more for a couple of seasons, not just a couple of months.