PDA

View Full Version : Some respect from the (gasp!) Cubune

doublem23
08-27-2001, 11:39 PM
Two good articles on young Sox hurlers. We're no Sosa's yet (hell, we're just a franchise, not an egomanical psycho), but these are two articles worth reading from the Cubune (I wonder how many times I've said that...)

Working Wonders on the Farm (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,160683,00.html)

10 Pitching Prospects to Watch (http://www.chicagosports.com/content/story/0,1984,160680,00.html)

OfficerKarkovice
08-27-2001, 11:55 PM
Wow out of those 10 pitching prospects I have only heard of like 2 or 3. What does our very own WSI minor league expert Randar68 (who I might trust more than the Cubune) have to say about these guys:

Edwin Almonte
Kyle Kane
Delvis Lantigua
Matt Guerrier
Arnoldo Munoz
Mitch Wylie
Aaron Kirkland
Joe Valentine
Wyatt Allen
Rylan Reed

Jerry_Manuel
08-28-2001, 12:04 AM
He is grateful that Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf understands the importance of developing players. The Sox are believed to be among the top five organizations in minor-league staff salaries.

:reinsy
Take that King George!
I'm still not going to pay catchers that we draft.

FarWestChicago
08-28-2001, 12:36 AM
but these are two articles worth reading from the Cubune (I wonder how many times I've said that...)

:b&b

I am Cornholio and I love the Sox!!

heh...heh.heh. Me, too!

OfficerKarkovice
08-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Hahahahaha...LOL...that is awesome West...what is the tag thing for it?

FarWestChicago
08-28-2001, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Hahahahaha...LOL...that is awesome West...what is the tag thing for it?

Hate made it. It's : b&b

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2001, 12:41 AM
:b&b

Heh. Heh, Heh.

You said, "Hole!"

Heh. Heh, Heh.

Jerry_Manuel
08-28-2001, 12:50 AM
Perhaps hate could edit this picture. God I love this show!

http://thefamilyguy.8m.com/pictures/stewiepic3.jpg
What do I think of Royce Clayton? I despise that vile hound with every fiber of my being. But as an ally, I would still choose him over the French.

Iguana775
08-28-2001, 08:54 AM
that show is one of the funniest shows i have seen.

Randar68
08-28-2001, 10:19 AM
Wow out of those 10 pitching prospects I have only heard of like 2 or 3. What does our very own WSI minor league expert Randar68 (who I might trust more than the Cubune) have to say about these guys:

Well, I'll give it a shot, along with a long-term projection:

Almonte and Valentine are both Closers in AA and A respectively. Traditionally, Closers have broken into the league as starters, only to be later converted. Most minor league closers never make it or become middle releif/set-up guys in the bigs. It seems the Sox are trying harder to develop and get experience for these guys closing while in the minors. It'll be interesting to see where these guys end up in a year or two. Almonte has had more success at a higher level, but I beleive Valentine actually has better stuff, is younger, and has more potential.

Not too impressed with Aaron Kirkland. Not drafted as a college senior, he had 4 years against competition higher than the generally 18 and 19 year-old players he's currently facing. My guess is, that unless the Sox saw something they thought they could fix, he will again become mediocre as he moves up.

I'm very high on Wyatt Allen. He's a bit old for the competition, but he threw a TON of innings for Tennessee and regularly topped 135 pitches in games. I beleive he's showing fatigue, and we will really see what he can do next season. In college, his ERA and BB/IP were very poor. He used to drop down a lot and came from as many as 4 different arm angles. This really cut down on his accuracy. The Sox staff has said they want him to learn to throw with better accuracy by limiting the variation in arm angles to 1 at first, but perhaps 2. He has good stuff, and the added deception is needed far less than the accuracy, which he has shown a marked improvement in since beginning his pro career.

The analysis on Rylan Reed is right on. He has a huge fastball and is giant on the moung, stanging 6'7" and 250+ pounds of muscle (Rob Dibble on Roids)...late round pick last year and he is at least 3-4 years away. He signed to play football, and was drafted low because of his size, very raw (only 1 pitch going into the draft), and the thought that he wouldn't sign, but instead play football with Arkansas as a TE or lineman....Very good athelete, and he may dwell in the lower leagues for a few year just trying to learn the game, but he has nearly unlimited potential....

Munoz is very talented and again, like most young Latin pitchers, very raw. If he has half the succes Malone has had this year, he will be moving rapidly up the system next season. Personally, I think he is 2 years from AA, making it there at 21....

Guerrier and Wylie. Neither has great stuff or overpowering numbers, but both seem to rack up the wins. I beleive both of these guys are destined for the bullpen. Wylie reminds me of Biddle, and not just because of their Tommy John Surgeries. While I beleive Biddle is destined for offseason shoulder surgery, Wylie's numbers aren't very close to what Biddle put up in AA, reducing the top prospect recognition. Guerrier is a right handed poor-man's Mark Buehrle. He's been effective, and could be a Very effective middle releif guy in the majors, but I do not see a future in the starting rotation for him.

Delvis Lantigua probably has the potential right along side Munoz and Reed, and perhaps only slightly behind Allen. He has a 92-93 mph fastball and a couple of good offspeed pitches. He is still learning to pitch, but will probably start next season back at AA and seek a mid-season promotion to AA. As far as when he would be ready for the majors, he's probably behind Rauch, Guerrier, Wylie, and Malone.

The last few years, the Sox system has been quite empty as far as importing talent from Latin America (Insert Dan Quale joke here), but the influx of Dominican talent and the signing of a couple of other Latin players over the last few years has helped to restock some talent not attainable through the draft. I still think the Sox organization is only middle of the pack, at best, in regards to finding and signing Latin American talent, and we're WAY behind in developing relations with Asian players...

It's curious why he left Dennis Ulacia off his list, because I certainly rate him above more than half of these pitchers....

NUCatsFan
08-28-2001, 10:38 AM
What about Corwin Malone? I would have thought he'd make the list, too.

Randar68
08-28-2001, 11:13 AM
What about Corwin Malone? I would have thought he'd make the list, too.

Well, I kind of got the impression he was listing some of the lesser known pitchers. Malone is well recognized. Ulacia is well recognized by scouting services and such, but not as much recently as Malone.

He left off Rauch, Malone, Honel, and Ulacia. It was more of a Top 10 unheralded prospects list.

I'll give Phil Rogers his due. Last season, he put Corwin Malone in the organization's top 15 prospect, and I called him on it after a season in which Malone put up mediocre numbers at best as a releiver in low A. However, we all are aware into what he has blossomed. That'll teach me! :-) I still hate Rogers, but he has close contact with many within the Sox system and scouting departments, so his info, while often wry and uninteresting, is often very accurate and comes from the organization, not just his mouth...

NUCatsFan
08-28-2001, 11:25 AM
The White Sox have no shortage of pitching prospects. Here are some who aren't so well known—yet.

It pays to pay attention to the entire article, even the unimportant leading paragraph. :)